Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

The original Viva Piņata (spelled without the ņ from here on) was released in 2006 as a launch title for the Xbox 360. Developed by the team behind the original Banjo-Kazooie for the Nintendo 64, the game definitely showed its pedigree, with light colourful visuals, horrible puns, and an unmistakable undercurrent of horrible darkness. The game spawned several sequels, a computer-animated cartoon series, and a line of merchandise. Whatever the reason, the Pinatas resonated with children and adults alike, and lasted until Rare imploded.

Viva Pinata is a life simulation game, in which players assume the role of a gardener. In order to level up, players must attract, romance, feed, and generally increase the happiness of their Pinatas, and then ship them off to birthday parties around the world for children to bludgeon and feast on.

Trouble in Paradise, the Xbox 360 sequel to Viva Pinata and the third in the series, expands on the original formula, increasing the number of pinatas, adding new mechanics, and generally increasing the depth and complexity of the admittedly shallow gameplay. For that reason, we'll be looking at this interesting, charming, and often hilarious game.

I don't have a format for this as such - the game tends to just throw things at you in rapid succession and lets you find your own path. The first few videos will involve setting up the garden, explaining some game mechanics, and leveling up. Once we have a pretty good handle on how the game works and what I'm trying to achieve, I'll open it up to you, the viewers, to help me decide what pinatas I should pursue, how I should decorate the garden, and what I should show off next. Participation, discussion, and going :3 are strongly encouraged, as I intend to show off every pinata species, as well as their tricks and wildcard variants.

Prologue: Once A-Piņa Time there was an island
1. Dipping a toe in the Sweet End
2. The Candaries and the Buzzlegums
3. A Taffly in the ointment
4. The Power of Sour
5. Really tying the garden together

Skippy Granola fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Dang yo. I've been waiting for you to start this ever since the hot preview you put up on Twitter.

This is one of those weird games where I don't enjoy playing it, because the pace is way too slow and also I need actual goals, difficulties, and the threat of failure, but I do enjoy watch other people playing. It's relaxing... just... not when I'm playing it.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
After years of waiting, it finally begins. Good luck skippy. As said on twitter i want to guest in an episode where you get ducky pinatas.

Tubofun
Jul 8, 2009
So the game clearly states that there is trouble in paradise, but what about outside of paradise? What are the states of the Pinata Barrios down south? If paradise is this bad, I can only imagine the living conditions in the barrios and ghettos being severely worse.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Please don't think of the state of Pinatas in the Favelas of Sao Paolo. Focus on the task at hand

I haven't decided whether I'd like to bring in guests, actually!

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Pinata Island has always been at war with Pin-The-Tail-On-The-Donkey-Topia.

Ask no questions.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Been waiting on this for years skip. Glad to see your doin it.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
LET THE CANDY MONSTER FUCKFEST BEGIN.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Your little story narration in the first video is adorable. :3:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
This better be cute as gently caress

like, REALLY fuckin' cute

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The cartoon's, uh....it's not bad I guess? :shrug:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

It was had its funny moments, mostly stemming from the sheer absurdity of the premise.

Non-EuclideanCat
Nov 9, 2009
I will never forgive you for Boopsiebuns.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This game is incredibly cute

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Non-EuclideanCat posted:

Never forget who's in charge here.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I played the poo poo out of the first one, could never really get into this one because I missed all my stuff too much to start again. Will be nice to see what new things there were.

Also I love the music in this (well, it is Rare). Especially the little bit when a new critter appears. That one is burned into my head. And most of the pinata noises are adorable.

And just about every single Pinata name is a wonderful treasure.

Pyroi posted:

This better be cute as gently caress

like, REALLY fuckin' cute

Oh, you don't need to worry about that.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

GeneX posted:

This game is incredibly cute

:yeah: :kimchi:

Oh man, thanks for picking this, Skippy! I've never played much of this series but it seems like extremely my thing! Between this and the Harvest Moon LP currently going, it's a good time to be into light-hearted farming/gardening simulators!

e. That prologue video was really sweet! :tem:

Knorth fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 5, 2015

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Non-EuclideanCat posted:

That was one of the funniest things I've ever seen live, no lie.

Non-EuclideanCat
Nov 9, 2009

Skippy Granola posted:

Never forget who's in charge here.

If that's how you welcome guests into your house remind me never to accept any dinner invitations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

RickVoid posted:

That was one of the funniest things I've ever seen live, no lie.

Yeah, it was fantastic.

OldManMarsh
Sep 25, 2013

leeeettsss play
This might just have the makings of the most relaxing LP ever.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
I am so confused.... I like it, and i don't know why. Much like my experience with the game. ( I have like 150 hours between the two.)

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's because Viva Pinata induces tonic immobility in nerds.

I recorded footage until like 2 am last night cause I couldn't stop rubbing pinatas against each other to make babies come out.

THEN I PLANTED A TREE

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Skippy Granola posted:

I couldn't stop rubbing pinatas against each other to make babies come out.

THEN I PLANTED A TREE

The true Pinata experience

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Ah yes, the only decent Rare release in recent memory.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Wow, Rare made three Xbox 360 launch titles? Never realized the first Viva Pinata shared that hallowed ground with Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo.

In fact, what I don't know about pinatas could fill a warehouse, and this is already a delightful way to start correcting that. I'm interested to see how the thread approaches naming when that time comes, since there's no way we're going to out-pun this game.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Ho man, this is gonna be good! Viva Pinata is one of my favourite games and though I keep meaning to find a copy of this I never have, maybe this LP will finally give me that push.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Can't sleep, Professor Pester will kill my Pinatas!

I played the heck out of these games when I had my 360 a while back, very fun games, shame they didn't get the proper recognition they deserved.

Nuckelavee
Feb 25, 2014
Aw man this is charming as heck.You're definitely the guy to LP this Skippobeth.

Also if it's not out of line I would like to suggest that you name a piņata Lumpkin.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

This is nice and I like the fact that you're doing it. :)

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I just love the bumblebees in this game, those are the chillest motherfuckers ever.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
so you don't need a house to make a pinata stay, you just need to do the thing on their list? The house is just for Pinata fun times?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Stallion Cabana posted:

so you don't need a house to make a pinata stay, you just need to do the thing on their list? The house is just for Pinata fun times?

Basically. A pinata will just plop down to sleep anywhere, but the house lets you breed them. It is helpful in keeping some away from predators if I recall, but I haven't played this game in six years.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Judging by some of the romance dances, pinata romance can only bloom in The Octagon

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Skippy Granola posted:

Judging by some of the romance dances, pinata romance can only bloom in The Octagon

The terrible secret of UFC...

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Really enjoying this LP already. Looking forward to more! These pinatas are too cute.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

Nocturnal Predator Pinata's will murder any Prey Pinata's who sleep outside at night, it's why Chicken Pinatas are hard to keep safe as Foxes and Wolves will beeline for them.

cosmo sex tip
Sep 26, 2005
contains sodium borate, xanthan gum, sucrose stearate, glucose, glucose oxidase & lactoperoxidase, and fragrance.

Thank you so much for playing this, I have super fond memories of my college roommate obsessively doing everything necessary to attract and keep a Chewnicorn in the first Viva Pinata. It was such a chill and cute experience that really helped take the edge off of a very stressful time of my life.

I still have dreams about growing a gem tree in my yard.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

This makes me want to hunt down a copy and play it myself :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

skoolmunkee posted:

This makes me want to hunt down a copy and play it myself :3:

If you have an Xbox One, I believe its included in the Rare Replay set.

• Locked thread