Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Judge Tesla posted:

If you have an Xbox One, I believe its included in the Rare Replay set.

But that raises another question: why do you have an Xbox One?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I'm not gonna lie, I'd get a Bone if Rare was making another Viva Pinata and it was an exclusive.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Pyroi posted:

But that raises another question: why do you have an Xbox One?

Don't look at me, I have a PS4 :v:

But I must admit to missing Viva Pinata sometimes, if I had an Xbox One, I'd pick it right up.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Everyone loves VP! Even heartless monsters melt at the sight of a profitamole.

Oh yeah there aren't really any spoiler rules except one:

Do NOT talk about the secret pinatas. I want them to be a surprise.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Holy gently caress there are secret pinatas?

This just got exciting.

(I'm having a good time, what a cute game)

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Skippy Granola posted:

Do NOT talk about the secret pinatas. I want them to be a surprise.

The only thing that could make this better would be even more videos voiced like the intro one.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Stormgale posted:

The only thing that could make this better would be even more videos voiced like the intro one.

I have like, 13 story ideas and maybe 3 that are any good? I want to do one or two more storytime interludes though.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Viva Pinata is one of those games I couldn't really get into enough to own but liked enough to rent it for a weekend a few times. Gonna be nice to see all the adorable critters I missed out on. :3:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

In today's episode, we talk about the Candaries and the Buzzlegums, diving into the romance mechanics with both candy feet.

2. The Candaries and the Buzzlegums

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I love that Arocknid! You gotta give them a good home ASAP. They'll really get your garden in the spirit of Halloween, which has got to be the candiest of all holidays.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

I'm going to keep this vague so as to keep it spoiler free, but since there's no cracked earth in this game, is it not possible to get a certain variant of a certain special pinata?

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Name the Fudgehog Cocoa Ono. Cocoa Ono the Fodgehog.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

One of the reasons I suspect this series wasn't a bigger hit is because its got a surprising difficulty curve, the basic Pinatas pretty much tame themselves with a decent enough garden but, if you want some of the more specialized varieties, you will be jumping through quite a few hoops to achieve this, Pokemon breeding has nothing on this.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

The real issue for me is that in order to succeed, you have to enjoy tedium. Luckily, I do!

I'm compiling naming suggestions and will begin implementing them around vid 5!

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Judge Tesla posted:

One of the reasons I suspect this series wasn't a bigger hit is because its got a surprising difficulty curve, the basic Pinatas pretty much tame themselves with a decent enough garden but, if you want some of the more specialized varieties, you will be jumping through quite a few hoops to achieve this, Pokemon breeding has nothing on this.

And doesn't help that Leafos lies, and unlike this game, she didn't have a tell in the first Viva Pinata, so players end up wasting their time chasing after false leads because no one every expects the Tutorial to be anything but 100% honest.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Skippy Granola posted:

The real issue for me is that in order to succeed, you have to enjoy tedium. Luckily, I do!

I'm compiling naming suggestions and will begin implementing them around vid 5!

I have been asked (nay demanded) that you pursue a Mousemallow based strategy, if you are taking input on that.

Also for those who don't know, the Fire safety thing is based on a nursery rhyme

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 10, 2015

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Stormgale posted:

I have been asked (nay demanded) that you pursue a Mousemallow based strategy, if you are taking input on that.

Also for those who don't know, the Fire safety thing is based on a nursery rhyme

Really! Could you elaborate on the nursery rhyme? (You don't have to redact it)

I will dedicate a video to delicious Mousemallows quite soon! Next up is Tafflies and all their secrets, followed by finally dealing with these sour pinatas.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Skippy Granola posted:

Really! Could you elaborate on the nursery rhyme? (You don't have to redact it)

I will dedicate a video to delicious Mousemallows quite soon! Next up is Tafflies and all their secrets, followed by finally dealing with these sour pinatas.

I'm gonna be lazy and link wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladybird_Ladybird

"Ladybird, ladybird fly away home,
Your house is on fire and your children are gone,
All except one,
And her name is Ann,
And she hid under the baking pan."

So fire safety is on every ladybug's mind at all times, it's also kinda horrible if you go into the other versions... poor lady bugs.

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 10, 2015

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I have a weird desire to name one of the Fudgehogs 'Crush40' and I'm sorry for that.

In more serious suggestions, I feel like one of the Mousemallows should be named Jerry. Or Mic.
Maybe the Wurlm should be named Chad. He looks like a "Chad" to me.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Name a Mousemellow "Bob". Make him the king of Mousemallows.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

And doesn't help that Leafos lies, and unlike this game, she didn't have a tell in the first Viva Pinata, so players end up wasting their time chasing after false leads because no one every expects the Tutorial to be anything but 100% honest.

Could you expand on this?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
You should name one of the Mousemallows Algernon, build him up, and feed him to something.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Skippy Granola posted:

Yeah no I played some of the original and I didn't actually do too badly, I got the big secret pinata of the game and everything, but I got frustrated that the garden is actually kind of small when you consider some of the stuff the game wants you to do. Like, some pinatas only visit when you've got certain other pinatas living there, but all pinatas get upset and leave if you don't maintain the visit requirements, so if you want to keep those pinatas you've got to keep the lower-tier pinatas as well and that takes up space. At least one of the secret pinatas actively starts fights with the pinatas you need to get it, and one of the others is so ridiculously huge that I think it counts as multiple pinatas when the game checks if your garden is crowded.

And, you know, there's the part of me that's been playing Pokemon since it came out that's just really really annoyed that the garden is too small to keep one of everything.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

Could you expand on this?

It's been a while since I played the first game but, I believe Leafos would do something like a small cough or have a slight tonal change in her voice when telling a lie, it's not obvious at first and has probably tripped up many a novice player.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My girlfriend picked this game up a few days ago and it's pretty fun. I learned the hard way that trying to stuff as many different species into your ranch at once isn't really a good idea. My garden was total chaos at one point.

Looking forward to your awesome pro pinata strats because this game really isn't good at explaining things.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I don't care what it is but I want you to name something "Joe" because I'm vain and terrible.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Also if there's a bat pinata I want you to name it "namtab"

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I'm half tempted to suggest that you get all the flutterscotch variants you can, master romancer and all, but that feels cruel.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

GenericOverusedName posted:

I'm half tempted to suggest that you get all the flutterscotch variants you can, master romancer and all, but that feels cruel.

Probably not on camera, sheesh! Maybe a 3 hour stream.

For those not familiar with the game, the White Flutterscotch is a butterfly pinata that actually has no variants - feeding it certain items changes its colour and turns it into a whole new species of Pinata. That means you have to get master romancer for 10 or so different species, which is 100 70 pinatas!

Skippy Granola fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 11, 2015

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

The grind for Flutterscotches was the biggest pain in the rear end thing I've ever done in a video game. But by god it was worth it!

At some point you should do an aviary garden. That's what mine always turn into, cause it seems like all my favourites are flyers.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
My buddy used to crash on my couch after parties, except instead of crashing like a decent human being he'd stay up all night playing this. He'd wake me up shouting "I gave you the candy, just gently caress already!"

What I'm saying is this game is cool as hell.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Skippy Granola posted:

Probably not on camera, sheesh! Maybe a 3 hour stream.

For those not familiar with the game, the White Flutterscotch is a butterfly pinata that actually has no variants - feeding it certain items changes its colour and turns it into a whole new species of Pinata. That means you have to get master romancer for 10 or so different species, which is 100 70 pinatas!

Are there wildcard flutterscotches? Clearly need to get all of those that you can too! :shepicide:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

George posted:

My buddy used to crash on my couch after parties, except instead of crashing like a decent human being he'd stay up all night playing this. He'd wake me up shouting "I gave you the candy, just gently caress already!"

Why does that remind me of Hojo from FF7?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The Flutterscotch thing is not too bad if you make a Garden dedicated to it. I actually came to appreciate the Flutterscotch a great deal during that time. You also become rather proficient at cultivating plants!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Thanks for convincing us to get this game, Skippy. I had to start work early this morning but I stayed up until 1am perfecting my Canadian wilderness garden and it was worth it.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

I stayed up until 1am perfecting my Canadian wilderness garden and it was worth it.

This is undoubtedly my proudest moment as a Canadian and a let's player

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Skippy Granola posted:

This is undoubtedly my proudest moment as a Canadian and a let's player

As soon as I saw my first sweetooths I felt the sudden need to make the perfect forest habitat for them and their furry papery woodland friends :3:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Well your LP finally pushed me to it. After a lengthy quest involving every friggen' gamestop in town, I have finally obtained a copy of this. So thank you Skippy for making me stop being a lazy goon about things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

I hope you guys can find some way to share your gardens with me!

• Locked thread