Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Skippy Granola posted:

I hope you guys can find some way to share your gardens with me!

I haven't played with the screenshot tool very much. Are you able to share pictures with it? I'd show you via co-op gardening but I don't have XBL Gold :(

In other news I just worked a bit on a swamp themed garden with lots of water and aquatic plants and two chippopotamuses came in an totally loving ransacked the place. I managed to tame one of the big oafs though :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

I've been describing this game as "a farming sim but replace all animals with pinatas" to people after I got it. Right now i'm doing a strategy of: pick a pinata, force them to have children until I get master romancer for them, sell all but 2, move to next pinata.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Hi, sorry the update is a little late. My guinea pig died.

Luckily I had this mess pre-recorded.

3. A Taffly in the ointment

Tafflies are super easy to attract (requiring just two Daisies) and keep (eating any kind of food, even the humble holly berry), AND romance (eating two daisies)

Basically, if you have daisy seeds and yellow fertilizer, you're pretty much good to go.

What's really interesting about Tafflies is, thanks to their fly-like nature, they can turn any fruit into poop. Effectively, this means that any spare apples, berries, blackberries, or what have you can be turned into fertilizer and left around until needed. Fertilizer in TIP is markedly more expensive than in Classic, which can save you lots of money in the long run if you're playing casually and not running a pinata puppymill like I am.

Before TIP's almost guaranteed wildcard system, Tafflies were a surefire (ha ha) moneymaker, due to a very interesting interaction they have with a certain garden decoration. Stay tuned until the end of the video to see what I mean!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Sorry for your loss dude.

As annoying as I assume they are when you're playing, I love the design of the Sour Sherbat.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Too bad there aren't any guinea pig pinatas so you can tame one in its honor :(

I've never heard a sick Sweetle before. Glad Dastardos didn't get you little Shufflebug :ohdear:. I've been romancing a ton of pinatas and drat some of those gently caress mazes get really challenging for some higher level species.

Skippy Granola posted:

Before TIP's almost guaranteed wildcard system, Tafflies were a surefire (ha ha) moneymaker, due to a very interesting interaction they have with a certain garden decoration. Stay tuned until the end of the video to see what I mean!

Redhotts were my go-to for making coin at one point. After I realized selling wildcards can be more lucrative they instead functioned as bait for one particular mortarboard-wearing son of a bitch.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

VP doesn't have guinea pigs? That's a crime.

Yummy pig? Candybara?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

skoolmunkee posted:

Yummy pig? Candybara?

Gummea Pig.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Guineafig. :smuggo:

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
This was actually one of 2 things that made me give up on this game. I was having so much fun with this game but as soon as I discovered how to make redhots nothing really seemed worth it. Why spend like a million years getting a pinata to maximum candiosity to send to a party when you can just make a redhot and sell it for like a billion coins. The other thing probably won't happen for a LONG time but.... it made me very upset.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

This was actually one of 2 things that made me give up on this game. I was having so much fun with this game but as soon as I discovered how to make redhots nothing really seemed worth it. Why spend like a million years getting a pinata to maximum candiosity to send to a party when you can just make a redhot and sell it for like a billion coins. The other thing probably won't happen for a LONG time but.... it made me very upset.

Path of least resistance, I'd sell the hell out of Redhots so I could have coins to spend on whatever I liked, it's way easier than doing it the long way, and more fun for me in the long run.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Pet deaths are the worst, my condolences.

As for the video, Sherbats are my favourite Pinata!

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Pet deaths are the worst, my condolences.

As for the video, Sherbats are my favourite Pinata!

Yeah Sherbat buddy! :hfive:
The Crowla and Shellybean are close behind, I really like the sours.

And my condolences Skippy, it sucks when a fuzzy friend passes away :(

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
The song during the love dance at the beginning of the video was almost exactly the theme for Gobi's Valley in Banjo-Kazooie, which made the dance all the more delightful. Also, Gretchen and Petula are both much cooler characters than I would have expected out of this game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Fiendly posted:

The song during the love dance at the beginning of the video was almost exactly the theme for Gobi's Valley in Banjo-Kazooie, which made the dance all the more delightful. Also, Gretchen and Petula are both much cooler characters than I would have expected out of this game.

Grant Kirkhope's only failing is that all of his Egyptian motifs sound identical.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 20, 2015

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Judge Tesla posted:

Path of least resistance, I'd sell the hell out of Redhots so I could have coins to spend on whatever I liked, it's way easier than doing it the long way, and more fun for me in the long run.

Yeah I scrounged up a copy of the original again and some of these requirements are like, prohibitively expensive or time-consuming. This is the sort of game where if making it easier makes it more fun you really should because being challenging is 100% the opposite of the point.

Also Flutterscotches can eat my entire rear end. Fuckin' little homebodies won't come outta the house so I can do the master romancer thing...

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Having multiple gardens on the go is also a thing you may want to consider, some of the larger Pinatas have huge houses and some Pinatas won't move into your garden if there's not a certain amount of free space, as mentioned previously, this series has a lot of depth but, it would go right over a lot of people's heads, children especially.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Judge Tesla posted:

Having multiple gardens on the go is also a thing you may want to consider, some of the larger Pinatas have huge houses and some Pinatas won't move into your garden if there's not a certain amount of free space, as mentioned previously, this series has a lot of depth but, it would go right over a lot of people's heads, children especially.

In that sense, it offers a lot of depth that either would go over lot of peoples' heads, or would allow for tinkering and experimentation and ultimately system mastery like, say, Pokémon or Yugi-oh. Actually, just stick to Pokémon for the videogame comparison.

I can't help but imagine most of the humans on Piņata Isle being humans of the same family. Leafos, Storkos, even Gretchen have the same body type and the same hair, if not obscured by their (sometimes huge) masks. Is that ever explained why there's people when the actual Piņata celebration operations are ran by a Lickatoad? Oh god I'm overthinking a children's game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Dinictus posted:

I can't help but imagine most of the humans on Piņata Isle being humans of the same family. Leafos, Storkos, even Gretchen have the same body type and the same hair, if not obscured by their (sometimes huge) masks. Is that ever explained why there's people when the actual Piņata celebration operations are ran by a Lickatoad? Oh god I'm overthinking a children's game.

The wiki says all of the -os characters are siblings and insane steampunk wheelchair man is their father. Whether or not that's weird headcanon crap I don't know.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mak0rz posted:

The wiki says all of the -os characters are siblings and insane steampunk wheelchair man is their father. Whether or not that's weird headcanon crap I don't know.

You get pieces of backstory in the first game as you level up. Everyone with an -os name are siblings, and Jardinero (steampunk Santa) is their father. This includes Dastardos.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Yeah, this game does have an actual backstory for all the masked people (at least the ones in Jardinero's family), but none of it ever comes up because it doesn't directly deal with raising animal-shaped candy containers.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I did not know that.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Dinictus posted:

Is that ever explained why there's people when the actual Piņata celebration operations are ran by a Lickatoad?

Langston is from the TV series where he's a Piņata Wrangler frequently chasing two party dodgers, a Fudgehog named Fergy and a Pretztail named Paulie, hence his job as the guy who helps you with trapping here whereas he doesn't appear in the first game.

Edit: Rare was taking questions from Viva Pinata fans, and this was the answer on the website relating to Langston's appearance in TIP:

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 22, 2015

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

They will never not be one of my favorite developers in existence :allears:

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Mak0rz posted:

They will never not be one of my favorite developers in existence :allears:

rip old Rare, shame on Microsoft for turning them into poo poo shovellers
At least we have Playtonic now :unsmith:

This LP is good, thanks for doing this, Skippy. I never had the patience for Viva Piņata, but it's so adorable!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Every time I comprehend a pun in a new piņata's name, my icy heart melts a little more.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Speaking of Lickatoads, do they have an intro? And if so, is there a way to replay it?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

I kind of like that the story is so understated - they've just got their little jobs to do helping out the chump that took over for Papa Jardinero.

Anyway, Lickatoads do have an intro but I honestly have no idea if I can replay it - they showed up while I was redecorating off camera.

Don't worry though they'll get a full episode cause they have some neat tricks.

We'll also be working on Langston's Challenges later on once I've unlocked a few more dudes. You get some cool stuff for finishing them.

There's plenty more work to be done! Tons of pinata species to collect, the Pinarctic to explore, and beautiful gardens to create.

There's also going to be a thread contest where you can win a handmade Skippy Granola pinata full of sick loot (like a collector's edition copy of viva pinata 1!)

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Skippy Granola posted:

There's also going to be a thread contest where you can win a handmade Skippy Granola pinata full of sick loot (like a collector's edition copy of viva pinata 1!)

What would that look like? A granola bar covered in Skippy peanut butter?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The other way round. Just a granola bar sticking out of a jar of PB. If you can pull it out you become the next king of pinata based Lp's.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Can't you replay their introduction clips in the journal? I know you can do it for the romance dances and also for intros of blocked pinatas.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Crack open my rear end and receive a treat!

Also I'll check the journal tonight! That'll be really handy for recording.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Skippy Granola posted:

Crack open my rear end and receive a treat!
:stonk:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
A skippy Pinata is just the Ourobearos in smashable form.

How the hell do I still remember those streams

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Hello and Happy Halloween! Sorry for the missed week, but today we'll be tackling some of those nasty sour pinatas that have been making life difficult.

Unfortunately, Professor Pester and his Ruffians won't let us off that easily.

4. The Power of Sour

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I think I prefer the Sour Sherbat compared to the weird Golbat-thing the unSour version has going.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sweetle is a dung beetle.

That, uh, wasn't a ball of dirt.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Funky Valentine posted:

I think I prefer the Sour Sherbat compared to the weird Golbat-thing the unSour version has going.

Yeah, I agree. The wingish sausage is "friendlier" but I think the sour has a more interesting overall design.

Setting aside the fact that it wouldn't really hold much candy.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
While I prefer the Sour version of the Sherbat over the normal variant, the exact opposite is true in the case of the Crowla as I vastly prefer the normal version over the Sour one.

Part of it being that it reminds me of an animated series I like (anyone who was part of one of the earliest streams Skippy did of VP can probably guess what series I'm referring to).

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

I'm going to be a lot happier when the game stops throwing unlocks at me. The next couple episodes are a Romance Roundup that ended up spanning 3 hours of footage.

But there are some cuuuute pinatas up in here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

You can actually see Professor Pester coming each day as he runs down the mountain path from his base to get to your garden so you have a bit of notice, he's even harder to get rid of in this game compared to the first, as a certain item would permanently prevent him from going to your garden, but this isn't the case anymore.

You can do certain things other than paying him off to make him leave however, some of them involve certain high level Pinatas.

• Locked thread