Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5N0o8gShtE

Satphone update: there's no encryption on Iridium calls or text messages. At all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jimmy Carter posted:

Satphone update: there's no encryption on Iridium calls or text messages. At all.

lol jesus christ

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i'm not terribly surprised. keep in mind any built-in encryption would have to have been compatible with a device made in the mid-90s and would have had to conform to US export laws. so you're looking at, what, 48-bit DES or something like that?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
are those sats still in use and could they be updated?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jimmy Carter posted:

i thought the deal with satphones is that if you want encryption you and the person you call strap on those separate voice scrambler things?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i watched 80% of the talk and it was cool + good

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

iridium went bankrupt almost immediately after it launched because they thought they were gonna replace cell phones globally, it was some peak 90s poo poo

the remnants of the system are still used today and apparently a new satellite constellation is being launched starting this year to replace it all but maintain backwards compatibility

good for marine communication with the global coverage

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shaggar posted:

i doubt you could add a bunch of encryption overhead to the satellite itself. wikipedia says they're running PowerPC 603e processors at around 200MHz.

you'd probably have to do all the encryption on the endpoints. i don't know if the satellite handles IP traffic and voice traffic intrinsically differently.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I thought that for things like iridium the sheer range the comms has to go through prohibit any strong encryption because the S/N Ratio is already garbage and the amount of error correction it would require would be to much for general purpose satellites. All the newer government MILSTAR EHF satellites have all the encryption and error correction built in and they still struggle to get 128kbps under a spot beam.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i remember reading an article on how the US navy's satellite comms were being slammed by all the half-gigabyte powerpoint files officers loved to send around. that was several years ago, though, so dunno if they ever got around to cracking down on that or not (lol i bet not).

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I'm more referring to the in theater operational spot beams. Where you have an agile one pointing at a small patch of the world where you're expected to transmit from. We managed to eke out 64kbps most of the time. The power point thing was those fuckwits in carrier strike groups, and they have multiple Mbps coverage zones wherever they sail.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm more referring to the in theater operational spot beams. Where you have an agile one pointing at a small patch of the world where you're expected to transmit from. We managed to eke out 64kbps most of the time. The power point thing was those fuckwits in carrier strike groups, and they have multiple Mbps coverage zones wherever they sail.

lol

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

mishaq posted:

iridium went bankrupt almost immediately after it launched because they thought they were gonna replace cell phones globally, it was some peak 90s poo poo

the remnants of the system are still used today and apparently a new satellite constellation is being launched starting this year to replace it all but maintain backwards compatibility

good for marine communication with the global coverage

meh unless you're loving around near the poles, there's better options for sat coms nowadays, the one good thing about iridium is you can take it in the lifeboat if it comes to that... still doesn't count as safety equipment because it's not part of gmdss, so if you're outside of INMARSAT coverage, gently caress you, you need two DSC capable HF radios.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

meh unless you're loving around near the poles, there's better options for sat coms nowadays, the one good thing about iridium is you can take it in the lifeboat if it comes to that... still doesn't count as safety equipment because it's not part of gmdss, so if you're outside of INMARSAT coverage, gently caress you, you need two DSC capable HF radios.

the department of defense has been keeping iridium afloat, maybe that superior coverage at the poles is why :tinfoil:

http://investor.iridium.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=798537

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

M_Gargantua posted:

Now on a submarine we had two big party lines...
... they'll work until they're underwater.

i have some bad news for the navy

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i keep an iridium phone in my glove box in case i need to call 911 because the cell phone coverage is not so good

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

atomicthumbs posted:

i keep an iridium phone in my glove box in case i need to call 911 because the cell phone coverage is not so good

serves you right living on a fuckin' mountain

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
in the mid-90s during the early days of Shuttle-Mir the NASA astronauts had an INMARSAT phone because it was literally easier than trying to get a working phone with long-distance service installed in Russia

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

serves you right living on a fuckin' mountain

no, just for using tmobile

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

M_Gargantua posted:

I thought that for things like iridium the sheer range the comms has to go through prohibit any strong encryption because the S/N Ratio is already garbage and the amount of error correction it would require would be to much for general purpose satellites.

the Iridium phones for DoD had $2k crypto backpacks attached to each handset. Apparently the backpacks were end-of-lifed a few years ago because the phones themselves stopped being made, and there was a big scramble to get a replacement one developed.

Inmarsat's just rolled out the second generation of its phone that uses the BGAN sats. As long as you're below the arctic circle it'll work, and it has better call quality/is cheaper than Iridium. Last summer I was hanging out doing ham radio stuff last summer on the top of a mountain, a retired guy rolls up on his motorbike. We started chatting about radios and stuff, then he pulls out and demos his IsatPhone that he uses in case he gets hit by a miata that missed the apex.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

fishmech posted:

some of the offices in the hospital complex my doctor's at have an emergency sound powered phone system to be used in case of emergency or the failure of their ip phones and backup pots phones

elevators are the last bastion of pots

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

graph posted:

i remember one time i was in an elevator and somehow a phone call got incorrectly routed to the elevator. it was fun trying to convince the guy of it.

"uh... you've reached an elevator" lol

it was 2004 and the school district had decided to go with 3com for doing VOIP phones in its newest elementary school. not sure how much of it was 3com or the IT guy who was in charge of that project but i think they literally fired that guy over it, it was that bad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
he chose 3com? yeah, they made the right decision firing him

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

3com: coasting on the reputation imagined by people who think it's part of 3M since whenever the gently caress

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
RIP USRobotics

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

atomicthumbs posted:

3com: coasting on the reputation imagined by people who think it's part of 3M since whenever the gently caress

i dunno, ive got several 3com switches and they seem p deece. dunno about their phone stuff

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Raluek posted:

i dunno, ive got several 3com switches and they seem p deece.

lol. no. just no.

unless you mean some desktop unmanaged thing in your home office or something

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

What's the coolest box you've actually used for its intended purpose: beige box

The coolest box I've used but after my telco stopped it from working: red box/green box

Box I don't think exists: blotto box

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

graph posted:

fun fact: the phones in elevators are usually configured to silently auto-answer and not ring, so if you know the number you can listen jn on random elevator chats

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Trabisnikof posted:

The coolest box I've used but after my telco stopped it from working: red box/green box

all those boxes probably last worked in like 1981 but dumbass phreakers still talk about them like they totally work and if you can't do it then you're just not 1337 enough, and yes of course *i* can do it but i'm not showing a luser like you

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sweevo posted:

all those boxes probably last worked in like 1981 but dumbass phreakers still talk about them like they totally work and if you can't do it then you're just not 1337 enough, and yes of course *i* can do it but i'm not showing a luser like you

hey man, beige boxes still work (because theyre just alligator clips and an rj11)

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sweevo posted:

most of these boxes haven't worked since the telco started using out-of-band signaling in the 90s and even if you had a red box and wanted to try it, good luck finding a payphone. i guess there are still some working ones around, but they are usually just used to call drug dealers in neighborhoods where the cops don't even go unless they are part of the swat team.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Trabisnikof posted:

Confirming blackbox usage. I spent a month planning when we were going up to the Michigan UP to visit fam. Brought a black box (yeah blinky lights and switches in a project box in an airplane! suck it post-911-ailures) and hooked it up to their rotary, 5 digit line. A GIIIIRL called me a couple times and it never showed up on her bill.

that was me specifically knowing that a dinosaur of a phone system was still in place in 1995 in Michigan tho

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
btw i crossed the streams this week, i have an asterisk box hooked up to a radio and the HausLAN, and i can pick up my SIP phone and dial a number and it lets me talk and listen on the radio across the room. i also got extensions set up so i can call the SIP phone from x-lite on my mac

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

btw i crossed the streams this week, i have an asterisk box hooked up to a radio and the HausLAN, and i can pick up my SIP phone and dial a number and it lets me talk and listen on the radio across the room. i also got extensions set up so i can call the SIP phone from x-lite on my mac

okay you might know this

would i need a license that's not just general to run a 900mhz gsm network in my house?

e: that's right i have a general, not just tech

Cocoa Crispies fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 21, 2016

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if you're sticking to 902-928 mhz, you can get away with a tech license as you have 1500 watts of basically any modulation

if you're out of that range though, there is no license that you can buy. you'll have to fight with verizon and att in a spectrum auction.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

if you're sticking to 902-928 mhz, you can get away with a tech license as you have 1500 watts of basically any modulation

if you're out of that range though, there is no license that you can buy. you'll have to fight with verizon and att in a spectrum auction.

ah neat, that does cover some gsm bands, although that precludes us-only phones

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM_frequency_bands#Bands

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
further beardening - i now have asterisk set up to call the SIP phones in the house whenever somebody gets on 146.460 MHz with a 100 hertz PL tone and dials *611
hunt group and all

gimme a shout

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

now rig the house locks to open with a blast of your capn crunch whistle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

now rig the house locks to open with a blast of your capn crunch whistle