Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Tokusatsu is toy commercials featuring dudes in spandex hitting other dudes in rubber monster suits and smashing the gently caress out of plastic furniture and there's sparks and explosions and giant robots and its great. The two main things that this thread is gonna be concerned with are Kamen Rider, which is karate *men on motorcycles hitting rubber monsters, and Super Sentai. You remember Power Rangers? That's Super Sentai. Kamen Rider is the superior franchise, as it has motorcycles fairly regularly. I guess you could talk about Ultraman and whatnot too but enjoy being a loser nerd. Also there's Garo but there's only three seasons of Garo and two of some other bullshit.

There's a metric shitload of this poo poo! Some of it has been subbed, a portion of it competently even, a lot of it has not, a handful of shows have even been released in the west on dvd. I'm going to make a list of shows that are subbed/being subbed and who's doing them, as well as the ones that are on dvd (this is going to be edited in as I do it because it's a big list). The two current series are Kamen Rider Ghost, about a boy and his magic hoodies, and Nininger, which is about some ninja who are on fire? I don't know the first episodes were real bad so I stopped watching it.

Also, TVN is poo poo. They are bad at translating, they are bad at encoding, everything they do is awful in every single way, please do not defend TVN in this thread or offer them as a viable alternative or I will call the police. Thank you for your consideration.

SPACE RESERVED FOR PICTURES AND SICK BURNS ABOUT DECADE AND TVN

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
POST RESERVED FOR THE BIG OL LIST OF NERD poo poo ABOUT DUDES PUNCHING EACH OTHER

This is a list of shows that are being subtitled currently or have been completely subbed already, as well as shows that are on dvd in the west, as well as the groups behind them. If I miss anything, please let me know, especially with Sentai. Thanks in advance. Also, I will be adding links to download/buy poo poo, once the list is actually in place. Most of the links will be to torrents, reminder that most if not all of this is also going to be on KRDL.info if you prefer DDL to torrents, and that some sub groups use Mega as well. I'm not linking TVN here for the same reason I don't dump big piles of poop on my table

Kamen Rider
Kamen Rider - KIT Subs (this is stalled because Jeeg spent the last year working on Drive and now on Ghost)
Kamen Rider V3 - DVD
Kamen Rider X - ????
Kamen Rider Amazon - Hi No Tori COMPLETE
Kamen Rider Stronger - Midnight Crew Subs/KIT Subs COMPLETE
Kamen Rider (Skyrider) - KIT Subs (stalled, see above re Kamen Rider)
Kamen Rider Super-1 - KIT Subs (take a guess)
Kamen Rider Black - Century Kings COMPLETE, ask Burkion for his viewing guide
Kamen Rider Black RX - Stone Subs, in progress
Kamen Rider Kuuga - Midnight Crew Subs COMPLETE
Kamen Rider Agito - GomenRider
Kamen Rider Ryuki - TVN, SubVent in progress
Kamen Rider 555 - GabuAnon in progress
Kamen Rider Blade - TurnUp Scrubs
Kamen Rider Hibiki - TVN
Kamen Rider Kabuto - YoY
Kamen Rider Den-O - TVN, OrangeLion in progress
Kamen Rider Kiva - TVN, Railler Subs in progress
Kamen Rider Decade - TVN. MegaAnon/MillionFoldCuriosity did a couple episodes, I think, and OT did the Shinkenger crossover episodes as part of subbing Shinken
Kamen Rider W - OverTime/WTime, BDs from OZC-Live
Kamen Rider OOO - OverTime, BDs from OZC-Live
Kamen Rider Fourze - OverTime, BDs in progress from OZC-Live
Kamen Rider Wizard - OverTime
Kamen Rider Gaim - Aesir Subs
Kamen Rider Drive - OverTime, BDs from OZC-Live
Kamen Rider Ghost - OverTime
Kamen Rider Ex-Aid (current) - OverTime

Super Sentai
(list in progress)
Goranger - Rampage Subs, in progress
JAKQ - LovexCare, in progress
Battle Fever J
Denziman
Sun Vulcan - Gao Soul Forever
GoggleV
Dynaman - MFC
Bioman - GUIS COMPLETE
Changeman - GUIS, in progress
Flashman - GUIS, in progress
Maskman - GUIS
Liveman - GUIS
Turboranger - LovexCare, in progress
Fiveman
Jetman - GUIS
Zyuranger - Buy the DVDs from Shout Factory, scrub
Dairanger - Buy these from Shout Factory too, scrub
Kakuranger - Shout Factory
Ohranger - Shout Factory
Carranger - Shout Factory DVDs in April 2017
Megaranger - MillionFold Curiosity
Gingaman - MillionFold Curiosity
GoGoV - Imagination Station, in progress - this is complete now, there's no batch yet
Timeranger - OverTime, in progress
Gaoranger - Gao Soul Forever
Hurricanger - Imagination Station, eventually
Abaranger - Imagination Station
Dekaranger - OverTime, in progress
Magiranger - TinyHenshin Subs
Boukenger - TVN
Gekiranger - TVN, some other poo poo tier scrub by GekiKnight that isn't much better
Go-onger - Go-Anonger
Shinkenger - OverTime w/ ShinkenAnon
Goseiger - MillionFold Curiosity
Gokaiger - OverTime
Go-busters - OverTime
Kyoryuger - OverTime
ToQger - OverTime
Nininjer - OverTime
Zyuohger - OverTime
Kyuranger (Current) - OverTime

Ultraman

in progress

Other Assorted Bullshit
GARO - GomenRider scrubbed season one, OverTime has done the rest, and they're redoing season one now
Space Sheriff Gavan - MillionFold Curiosity, in progress

A LIST OF SITES FOR GROUPS THAT DONT SUCK AND ARE GOOD

OverTime - they do the new shows (generally, its no guarantee even though they've done every KR since W (gaim counts, shut up) and every Sentai since Gokaiger)
GUIS - Older Sentai
MillionFold Curiosity - Older-ish Sentai (like, stuff that's been turned into Power Rangers), Gavan

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 22, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ultraman is great and superior except when it's not

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Forums poster Burkion has an unhealthy obsession with Choudenshi Bioman

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well that OP certainly isn't OP if you know what I mean.

Remember to disregard Literally the Worst's opinion on Ninninger which is turning out to be surprisingly good, certainly better than last year's dreck.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cliff Racer posted:

Remember to disregard Literally the Worst's opinion on Ninninger which is turning out to be surprisingly good, certainly better than last year's dreck.

But wait...ToQger was :perfect:, and Ninninger is mediocre-to-decent.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

jivjov posted:

Forums poster Burkion has an unhealthy obsession with Choudenshi Bioman

which will probably never be finished because the dude behind it is in japan doing stuff w/ toei

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
HERE'S SOME OPINIONS ABOUT KARATE BUGMANS

Kamen Rider Decade

Kamen Rider Double/W
A wannabe noir detective and his boyfriend partner, Magic Google Man, fight drug abuse metaphors in Japanese not-Chicago.
Most-recommended entry point into the series. Likes to dip in quality right before another plot moment yanks it back up into being fantastic again.

Kamen Rider OOO
A hobo obsessed with underwear and his boyfriend partner, an evil talking arm, fight greed monsters made of money.
Has a filler-ific middle, but a decent ending and entertaining character interactions throughout, plus some great music. Somehow manages to be even gayer that Double.

Kamen Rider Fourze
A Grease cosplayer who wants to be friends with everyone has adventures in space with a squad of high school stereotypes.
High energy, very optimistic. The characters are the meat and potatoes of the series, so if they don't click for you, may not be enjoyable. Decent entry point.

Kamen Rider Wizard
A wizard who loves donuts Mary Sues his way through people's hopes and dreams.
Has a dragon that turns into a motorcycle and still somehow manages to be boring.

Kamen Rider Gaim
Ken Urobochi's Dancing Fruit Samurai. Starts goofy as poo poo, and then people start dying.
Doesn't really stick the landing, but the story has very little filler. Not a good starter series, unless the above description really stuck with you. Love-it-or-hate-it.
PS: Don't watch the last episode.

Kamen Rider Drive
A car-nerd police officer and his talking belt vs. the robot uprising.
Has the best tragic villain in a Kamen Rider series. Probably not the highest quality series on the list, but it's interesting.

Kamen Rider Ghost
A dying guy with no personality uses the souls of legendary historic figures (and public domain characters) to punch ghosts.
Starts somewhat bad, gets good in the middle, then gets even worse. Good secondary rider is the only reason to watch it, and you'll still weep over the wasted potential.

Kamen Rider Ex-Aid
Doctors with retro game powers punch the Pac-Man Fever out of people. Starts goofy as poo poo, and then people start dying.
Has no right to be as good as it is. Takes a little while to spin up; the first dozen episodes are a bit slow.

Kamen Rider Build
Sports drinks and animals?
Not much info yet. Please be good.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 29, 2017

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Traingers were better than the current Ningers.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Literally The Worst posted:

which will probably never be finished because the dude behind it is in japan doing stuff w/ toei

Don't remind me

We're SO CLOSE

I don't even have consistent Dub for the last arc either!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
heres my punchman opinion: mr belt based belt

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Literally The Worst posted:

heres my punchman opinion: mr belt based belt

Krim Steinbelt is the best the second best in Japan.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
From the other thread:

Larryb posted:

I've always been curious myself, what exactly did TVN screw up regarding the first half of Blade and what was it supposed to be like instead? I've seen Blade in its entirety so feel free to go into detail.

One of the biggest things I remember them screwing up, because it's been mentioned a few times and I even remember it myself, was the implication that Tachibana could control Undead. I remember going "Wait WHAT?" when this (fake) revelation occurred and then wondered why it seemingly disappeared afterwards.

I'd love to watch Blade with actual good subs, even if the early episodes are horribly dull and Mutsuki remains one of the worst Rider characters ever. I'd also really like redone subs for Go-Onger but I realize that'll probably never happen as I'm one of the few who actually enjoys Go-Onger.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Tatakau seigi no Tokusatsu Thread V3

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'd also really like redone subs for Go-Onger but I realize that'll probably never happen as I'm one of the few who actually enjoys Go-Onger.

pretty sure this actually exists!

edit it does, it's go-anonger who did it. no idea about quality but there you go.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Cliff Racer posted:

Ninninger is literally in a constant life or death struggle to be mediocre at all times. ToQger was at least mostly better.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

im gonna defend tv nihon.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Namtab posted:

im gonna defend tv nihon.

i am calling the police right now as we speak

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Stallion Cabana posted:

Ninninger is literally in a constant life or death struggle to be mediocre at all times. ToQger was at least mostly better.

ToQger a poop.

I like that Ninninger really seems to be not so much about the red ranger as it is a commentary on what the red ranger's role in a series is. I feel like most people don't get that. They hear the food analogy and focus in on the fact that red/the meat is the best part, not the fact that the soup is better when you have the other rangers/ingredients in there too.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

It's getting better, I think. It's certainly not Takaharu's Sentai Ninninger anymore at least. Also seeing him be smart and not hot-blooded for once was refreshing even though it was basically a gag.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
While Taka is still annoying, Kyuuemon has actually made him look better by comparison, since he's such a try-hard the other villains never get to do anything anymore.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Cliff Racer posted:

ToQger a poop.

I like that Ninninger really seems to be not so much about the red ranger as it is a commentary on what the red ranger's role in a series is. I feel like most people don't get that. They hear the food analogy and focus in on the fact that red/the meat is the best part, not the fact that the soup is better when you have the other rangers/ingredients in there too.

Four episodes after the Food Analogy the rest of his siblings got the crap beat out of them by Raizou Gabi, an already extremely hurt Takaharu showed up and they went 'We were waiting for you Taka!'

he then stomped on Gabi's face by himself while they killed mooks.

A more recent episode involved Takaharu growing to Giant Size and by himself taking out the Monster without even needing a Ninja Ally besides Shinobimaru.

The show has gotten better but there's no certainty that it's gonna stay that way, and that's what I mean by a constant struggle. At any point it could pull a complete 180 again.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
There were questions about there being new scrubs/subs in the works for Blade, right? Looks like Turn Up Scrubs is back on the job and has made it to episode 23. I haven't had a chance to check the quality, though the notes for the first episode specifically state that the "Tachibana controls Undead" stuff was fixed.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cliff Racer posted:

ToQger a poop.

So you only focus on what the series says and not what the series does? Pretty bad way to watch.

Like, yes, the series said that. It then proceeded to ignore it entirely and focus entirely on how much better Takaharu is than everyone else. The Gabi Raizou defeat happened after that. Chouzetsu happened after that, and holy poo poo the episode where Yakkun and Kinji manage to cleverly beat a trap made out of their fear of not standing up to Takaharu, and then decide to just let Takaharu get the glory anyways happened after that. Not to mention how since they got Transcendent it's been nearly always used by Takaharu and Takaharu alone despite being usable by the entire cast, and he consistently gets the finishing blow on every monster despite the episodes focusing on others.

Ninninger has gotten better than it was. It is still not good, much less great. It has become acceptable, something I can watch weekly without feeling like I absolutely shouldn't (which is more than GARO: Goldstorm can say). At least ToQger had really good villains once Z joined, Ninninger can't even say that. Kyuuemon is good, but has only really become worth watching now, the rest are lame as hell. At least Kyuuemon's Qubeley (which might be the greatest mecha pun in Sentai history) is neat. Too bad it was probably destroyed this week by the new mecha.

Apart from Sentai, about Kamen Rider: please be good Ghost. And Garo should get a mention in the main post, it exists too, and it is good! Mostly. Basically all the time except when Ryuga is the protagonist, in which case it becomes bad.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How did the Garo anime turn out? I noticed it got 12 more episodes bringing it up to about the same as a regular season.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
The first season was good, and the second season which is airing in a couple days is going to be trash because it's being written by Sho Aikawa and Toshiki loving Inoue

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Blaze Dragon posted:

So you only focus on what the series says and not what the series does? Pretty bad way to watch.

Like, yes, the series said that. It then proceeded to ignore it entirely and focus entirely on how much better Takaharu is than everyone else. The Gabi Raizou defeat happened after that. Chouzetsu happened after that, and holy poo poo the episode where Yakkun and Kinji manage to cleverly beat a trap made out of their fear of not standing up to Takaharu, and then decide to just let Takaharu get the glory anyways happened after that. Not to mention how since they got Transcendent it's been nearly always used by Takaharu and Takaharu alone despite being usable by the entire cast, and he consistently gets the finishing blow on every monster despite the episodes focusing on others.

Gabi Raizou was Takaharu's villain. It makes sense that he kill him, just like how Alata killed the mantis guy in Goseiger or Ryu killed Jin in Dairanger. Them giving the red a special power up isn't unique either and its not going to be his forever. Red is the main character and the show will always be that way, but it also always has been that way too. We had two shows in a row that were about red to the extent that the other rangers got jipped out of plot points and that sucked but Ninninger has been different. Note the difference here, Nininger and the two examples I listed had red go up solo against a side villain, Kyouryu and (I think) ToQ had him take out the main enemy by himself. They've gone to great lengths to keep Pink and Gold as credible alternatives as Last Ninja, you'd never have seen them saying that other characters were possibly better at something than Daigo in Kyouryu or Right in ToQ.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

The first season was good, and the second season which is airing in a couple days is going to be trash because it's being written by Sho Aikawa and Toshiki loving Inoue

Oh Jesus Christ why?

Well, I say that in regards to Inoue. What has Sho worked on? ...please don't tell me season 3 and 5 of Garo...

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Blade (starting with ep 22), Boukenger, Decade (eps 1-13), original FMA anime, Angel Cop, Nadesico, and Eureka Seven: AO.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

FortMax posted:

Blade (starting with ep 22), Boukenger, Decade (eps 1-13), original FMA anime, Angel Cop, Nadesico, and Eureka Seven: AO.

That wouldn't be a bad track record if not for AO.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

FortMax posted:

If there's a better way to say "he is terrible" than that, I don't know it.

Like the fact that there's actual good series there (Blade and Nadesico, though I'm going to guess that Prince of Darkness also falls there and therefore that's another terrible thing) are completely ignorable by the fact that that terrible trainwreck of a sequel is also there.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Burkion posted:

How did the Garo anime turn out? I noticed it got 12 more episodes bringing it up to about the same as a regular season.

Was good, hype, epic

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
Why isn't this using the "ghosts" tag?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Battle Hopper was the true hero of Kamen Rider Black and it was dumb they replaced him with some other motorcycle.

This has been my ten cent toku opinion.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 5, 2015

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

point of return posted:

Why isn't this using the "ghosts" tag?

You're right, what the gently caress

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Will there ever be a figure of Kamen Rider Lupin or is there one already

I need a healthy dose of classy swag in my life

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Seafood posted:

Battle Hopper was the true hero of Kamen Rider Black and it was dumb they replaced him with some other motorcycle.

These are good thoughts.

These are thoughts I agree with.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Bad Seafood posted:

This man is 100% correct.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

NotALizardman posted:

You're right, what the gently caress

Can we get a Mod to change it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

They're not all ghosts.