Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

point of return posted:

Why isn't this using the "ghosts" tag?

because ghost only lasts a year and we don't know how good its going to be yet. kenshiro is forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Thanks for the reminder that Dairanger comes out in a little over a month. Just put in my preorder.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

O-T's doing Ghost.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just as a reminder that Ultraman is awesome and will be celebrating its true 50th next year, as this year is the 50th of the company and much of the preproduction of Ultra Q, have this- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjOvth3O2Vs

That is notable for one incredible reason. From everything I've heard, this is a fan movie. A fan production. Or at least it started its life out that way. Then Tsuburaya, as it is wont to do, looked over at the fan production and said "You are now official, have all of the support" and lo it was so.

Tsuburaya is a fantastic company for that kind of stuff really. That's how the newest Ultraman manga got to where it is- it started out as a kind of one and done non profit fan comic that got recognized and made Official. Now Power Armor Ultraman has a freaking Figuarts and is printed in the big group. They're a group that really appreciates and rewards fandom, something I wish we could get more from Toei. Then again they are a much smaller company than Toei, so they can likely afford the personal touch now and again.

Speaking of Ultraman, the original is now OFFICIALLY up for streaming with subtitles!

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/series/ultraman

This is a fantastic thing as the original Ultraman is a wonderful show that's way better than it has any right to be being made in 1966. Some time soon I'll have to go through and make my Ultraman Recommendation Episode list!

If we can get some more Showa Ultras up somewhere, we would have the majority of the Ultra franchise subbed in one form or another and that would be amazing

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Don't they do the first episode as a matter of course before deciding?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Xelkelvos posted:

Can we get a Mod to change it?
Done.

Literally The Worst posted:

because ghost only lasts a year and we don't know how good its going to be yet. kenshiro is forever.
I can change thread tags at will, just let me know when it's over/if it sucks.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bad Seafood posted:

Done.
I can change thread tags at will, just let me know when it's over/if it sucks.

kenshiro is forever

kenshiro is life

kenshrio is love

Poison Mushroom posted:

no? they watch it first and decide if they like it but they don't sub an episode and then decide to sub it

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Poison Mushroom posted:

They, or a "separate group" of practically the same people, have yet to miss a KR. I don't think they've missed a sentai since Goseiger either.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

kenshiro is forever

kenshiro is life

kenshrio is love
Even Kenshiro retired for a little bit after beating Raoh.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cliff Racer posted:

They, or a "separate group" of practically the same people, have yet to miss a KR. I don't think they've missed a sentai since Goseiger either.

plus az has already said jeeg is working on ghost

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

Poison Mushroom posted:

Kamen Rider Wizard
A wizard who loves donuts Mary Sues his way through people's hopes and dreams.
Decent special effects, but a story that goes nowhere and samey fight scenes. Skip this one.

Kamen Rider Wasted Potential

If all of the Kamen Riders were delicious foods, Wizard would be a plain sugar donut. (Nice looking, but when you bite into it, it's just... :barf:)

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I still think Toqger was better at handling the 'Red is the best at everything' phase we're in now, since even if Right was a fair amount of the time, the show seemed to take the piss out of him more sincerely than Ninninger does Taka. Plus he wasn't just the hotblooded idiot trope played straight as an arrow.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

I still think Toqger was better at handling the 'Red is the best at everything' phase we're in now, since even if Right was a fair amount of the time, the show seemed to take the piss out of him more sincerely than Ninninger does Taka. Plus he wasn't just the hotblooded idiot trope played straight as an arrow.
I still can't get over that Nin^2 has worse Mary Sue Red issues than Shinkenger (which was literally about four people being the Red Ranger's servants), and Kyoryuger (where Daigo's canonical flaw was that he doesn't have flaws).

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Poison Mushroom posted:

I still can't get over that Nin^2 has worse Mary Sue Red issues than Shinkenger (which was literally about four people being the Red Ranger's servants), and Kyoryuger (where Daigo's canonical flaw was that he doesn't have flaws).

That's because Daigo was supportive and cool, and Shithead just doesn't appear to even notice other people.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
also daigo's actor was fun and charming as opposed to whatshisface's complete lack of talent

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Burkion posted:

Just as a reminder that Ultraman is awesome and will be celebrating its true 50th next year, as this year is the 50th of the company and much of the preproduction of Ultra Q, have this- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjOvth3O2Vs

That is notable for one incredible reason. From everything I've heard, this is a fan movie. A fan production. Or at least it started its life out that way. Then Tsuburaya, as it is wont to do, looked over at the fan production and said "You are now official, have all of the support" and lo it was so.

Tsuburaya is a fantastic company for that kind of stuff really. That's how the newest Ultraman manga got to where it is- it started out as a kind of one and done non profit fan comic that got recognized and made Official. Now Power Armor Ultraman has a freaking Figuarts and is printed in the big group. They're a group that really appreciates and rewards fandom, something I wish we could get more from Toei. Then again they are a much smaller company than Toei, so they can likely afford the personal touch now and again.

Speaking of Ultraman, the original is now OFFICIALLY up for streaming with subtitles!

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/series/ultraman

This is a fantastic thing as the original Ultraman is a wonderful show that's way better than it has any right to be being made in 1966. Some time soon I'll have to go through and make my Ultraman Recommendation Episode list!

If we can get some more Showa Ultras up somewhere, we would have the majority of the Ultra franchise subbed in one form or another and that would be amazing

Is Power ARmor Ultraman the new one where it looked like he was putting pieces of the monsters he killed on him? Was that one any good? The suit looks really cool

Justin_Brett posted:

Around Episode 33 of ToQger was when Right and Hikari had a Karate Contest to see who could beat the poo poo out of the most minions untransformed.

Hikari won and Right at the end was trying to make excuses for why he actually won while everyone laughed at him.

That scene in Nininger would be Takaharu literally beating all the others combined.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

this thread title is terrible

FeatherFloat posted:

And sometimes I'll just suck it up and grab TV-N's version of a movie or special because Over Time may be great, but they are the pits about subbing side stuff in a timely fashion.

The translator isn't fond of side stuff in general, that's why we get to do that sort of stuff sometimes, and sometimes we just don't bother. :shrug:

e: That was totally not the person I meant to quote

Ignis fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 5, 2015

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Justin_Brett posted:

Blockhouse posted:

also daigo's actor was fun and charming as opposed to whatshisface's complete lack of talent

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stallion Cabana posted:

Is Power ARmor Ultraman the new one where it looked like he was putting pieces of the monsters he killed on him? Was that one any good? The suit looks really cool

Actually! What you are talking about is the newest Ultra series Ultraman X! It is the first ever Tokusatsu series to be picked up by an official subbing source, right here http://www.crunchyroll.com/ultraman-x and get subbed as it airs in Japan.

Ultraman X is a great little show, especially compared to the first half of Ultraman Ginga, that if you're used to the more toyetic side of Toku should be right up your alley. One cool thing it does with the toy gimmicks that I wish Kamen Rider would do, is that it actually uses the toy gimmick from Ginga, Spark Dolls, as a major part of its own plot. It has its own gimmicks as well and incorporates the Spark Dolls in a new way to boot.

X's gimmick entails pretty much what you just said, but it has an even cooler twist. X can summon armor with powers related to the kaiju he has killed, AND, at the least with the franchise hero kaiju Gomora, he will be able to summon Cyber versions of classic Ultra Kaiju to fight alongside him.

As seen here!

It's a pretty creative way to keep things fresh I think. X is a fantastic stand alone series so far, though the last two episodes haven't been terribly great to me as they are much lighter than I tend to prefer, it has a lot of great monsters and moments. Even has two older Ultras coming for team ups, and possibly more on the way which is always nice.

The Ultra Power Armor I was referring to is a manga series called The Ultraman.

It started, as mentioned, as a non profit fan manga that got noticed and made official, and then got picked up and I believe is going to be distributed here in the States. It is about the son of Hayata in an alternate unvierse of the original Ultraman series, where Ultraman left the Earth and no other Ultra returned.

Instead Hayata discovered that he has been changed by his fusion with Ultraman, giving him unique genes that, when wearing a special suit of armor, allow him to harness the power of Ultraman. His son ends up taking the mantle for his father as he discovers his own power and it's a joyride from there.

This is his design, fighting some dude.

I hope it takes off and gets an anime adaptation, as more expansion of Tokustasu is always a good thing.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Ignis posted:

The translator isn't fond of side stuff in general, that's why we get to do that sort of stuff sometimes, and sometimes we just don't bother. :shrug:

Something about NET movies

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Ignis posted:

Did I actually post that? Man I don't even remember posting that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Wake me up! (Wake me up inside!)

(The URL on the image is pretty good, too.)

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

Did I actually post that? Man I don't even remember posting that.

You didn't, I quoted the wrong person :sweatdrop:

woops

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ignis posted:

You didn't, I quoted the wrong person :sweatdrop:

woops
How's ShinkenAnon doing?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

He's kind of dead and burned out by a year of doing SHT, but he's slowly been doing progress on both Ryuki and Shinken. I'm taking over him on Rider, so that'll lessen up his workload a li'l bit hopefully.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ignis posted:

the other options were msotly talking poo poo about posters itt so

Ignis posted:

He's kind of dead and burned out by a year of doing SHT, but he's slowly been doing progress on both Ryuki and Shinken. I'm taking over him on Rider, so that'll lessen up his workload a li'l bit hopefully.

didnt' realize shinken was also the one doin ryuki

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I liked Ryuki more than I do. But man, fuuuck that ending.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Ignis posted:

Hey, that's fair. There seem to be other groups and people willing to take up the task more frequently these days, and sometimes you guys come along and do it after a while, anyway. Then I can watch it twice!

TV-N can keep the Net Movies, though. Do the Net Movies really need good translation? They are.... they really are something, sometimes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ignis posted:

Send him our love. He's almost there with Shinkenger, and I can finally recommend my favorite sentai series to other human beings!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Burkion posted:

I wish I liked Ryuki more than I do. But man, fuuuck that ending.

I think I like Ryuki's ending intellectually more than I really enjoy it. The final scenes of the rider fight are really excellent in their framing and editing. I really liked finale of the feud between Zolda and Ouja. The ending is thematically appropriate ending for Ryuki, Shinji's through-line for the series was that nothing could be worth the price of the Rider War. On that note it's an interesting ending in that the hero doesn't win, but still can be called victorious because his ideals are affirmed. And yet despite that the ending feels kind of like a cop-out, and the character development for naught. It looks good under the microscope, but it doesn't really feel satisfactory on screen.

massecurr
Dec 15, 2012
Drive really surprised me, it was a really rough road (if you pardon the pun)for a lot of the series but the ending arch was handled really god drat well especially after the introduction of Gold Drive. I have high hopes for Ghost, the designs alone have my wallet prying open.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Omnicrom posted:

I think I like Ryuki's ending intellectually more than I really enjoy it. The final scenes of the rider fight are really excellent in their framing and editing. I really liked finale of the feud between Zolda and Ouja. The ending is thematically appropriate ending for Ryuki, Shinji's through-line for the series was that nothing could be worth the price of the Rider War. On that note it's an interesting ending in that the hero doesn't win, but still can be called victorious because his ideals are affirmed. And yet despite that the ending feels kind of like a cop-out, and the character development for naught. It looks good under the microscope, but it doesn't really feel satisfactory on screen.

I would have been fine with it if they went all the way. What kills it is the time loop reset button.

Unless you work towards and earn a reset button at the end of your work, which I believe CAN be done, it's almost always going to just make you wonder what the point was.

I haven't seen Ryuki's movie and supposedly that plays more as the actual ending after a few time loops, but I'll get around to that some day.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Toku Thread V3: Kamen Rider Ghost starring Nic Cage

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Hello, all new (all different) Toku thread. I haven't watched any Toku since the bygone days of Sambasaurs and Plain Sugar, and am considering watching some Spandex Punchmans once again. How has Sentai Rider been since then? Feel free to tell me just how :mediocre: or :perfect: you feel ToQ/Ninnin is. Also feel free to tell me I was stupid for suffering through Donut Rider.

(Seriously though, how has Sentai and KR been since Gaim? Dropped everything for some reason a few weeks into it, and let the old Toku thread sit unread ever since.)

Waffleman_ posted:

Toku Thread V3: Kamen Rider Ghost starring Nic Cage

Alright, who WOULDN'T watch that? Although...what if Shia Labeouf was the Extra Rider?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Drive was good as hell. There's a sad scene wth a sentient toy car in the rain.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Gaim and Drive were both worth watching. Though, Gaim's ending sucked and Drive's ending was the best part.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Drive was good as hell. There's a sad scene wth a sentient toy car in the rain.
This, unironically.

ToQ is kind of divisive, and I've heard Ninnin has some pretty good episodes and some really bad ones, so :shrug:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Ninninger started out pretty bad, with the Red this season aggressively overshadowing everyone else (and being a pretty crappy actor to boot). Lately it's bounced back quite a bit.

ToQger, on the other hand, was consistent the whole way through. YMMV on if you thought it was consistently good or bad; but it's occupying my 2nd Favorite Sentai spot.

On the Rider side, Gaim is :perfect: (some people didn't like the ending..but I did). The belt gimmick in particular was quite fun.

Drive was also :perfect: but I feel like it took a bit longer to get in top gear than Gaim did. Mr. Belt was surprisingly a pretty great character.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Gaim is frustrating because it's the series that wanted to do the most with its writing but got screwed by both numerous tie ins that halted the story, general breaks, and toys overriding logical story structure.

And a really terrible tacked on epilogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Burkion posted:

Gaim is frustrating because it's the series that wanted to do the most with its writing but got screwed by both numerous tie ins that halted the story, general breaks, and toys overriding logical story structure.

And a really terrible tacked on epilogue.

Epilogue notwithstanding, I liked Gaim's ending alright. It was fitting when you consider that Gaim is essentially a Shin Megami Tensei storyline in Kamen Rider Form, complete with NPC Law and Chaos heroes who both get hosed way over.

• Locked thread