Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Burkion posted:

Okay so here's the deal. It depends on which Ultraman you're referring to.

In the Main Universe and its offshoots, Ultramen are basically just aliens. Like, imagine if Kryptonians were even more alien and super powered than they are in the DCU. They can become pure energy if they want, but otherwise they're flesh and blood aliens with loads of weird and cool powers. Millions of years ago, they used to be human looking beings, but their sun died. So they created an artificial star that mutated them into the Beings of Light that they are now.

UltraSeven is different from the others for two reasons. One is the out of universe reason, namely, he was never supposed to be an Ultraman. His series had nothing to do with Ultraman, no continuity to it, and the one member of his species we saw looked more like him and not like others. In 1971, in honor of Tsuburaya who had passed the year before Return of Ultraman could be made, they officially made UltraSeven an Ultraman due to him being Tsuburaya's favorite and his favorite production.

IN Universe, UltraSeven was not part of the Space Garrison. The Land of Light have a few jobs and stuff you can do. Silver Cross are medical people and healers, then you have the scientists, and the Space Garrison who basically act like the Green Lanterns only not as lovely. They go around the universe combating evil and saving planets.

UltraSeven was never part of them to begin with. He was just a cartographer, making detailed maps of different solar systems. He happened to come across Earth while making a map of the planet, found a hiker in distress, and then noticed that there was a lot of bad poo poo going on and decided to help out.

This is part of the reason why Seven is my favorite Ultra hero, for the record. He's not a cop like the original and the ones after- he's just some guy who decided to help because he saw how innately good the human race could be.

Because UltraSeven was meant to travel the universe without a traveling device like Ultraman, for map making purposes and what not, he has a different kind of armor that constantly feeds him solar energy and keeps him in tip top shape. That's why he doesn't have a color timer or a time limit.

After the main universe, it gets a little trickier.

Orb was a human-like alien who obtained great power and used it to fight.

Ginga is some loving thing that I am not going to go into.

Cosmos is more like the mainline Ultras, an alien being bonded with a human.

X is explicitly like them, though he's also from a completely unrelated universe, and the way he bonds with humans is entirely different.

Tiga and Dyna are both reincarnations of what amounts of Lovecraftian horrors that turned on their fellows and decided to protect the universe instead.

Gaia is just a human who inherited the power of the Earth to save it.

Nexus...well you'll see.

For size, Ultras are naturally giant sized after their mutation in the main universe. Some, however, most notably UltraSeven, can alter their size at will. UltraSeven has grown to the microscopic level at one point to fight an alien virus because it was the 1960s.

Fighting at human size typically isn't something that happens too often, most of the examples are from Seven, but it is a thing that comes up once in a while.

EDIT: Also it should be known

As of the Mebius time line, and TFR if you're reading this this is important for you, none of the Ultras that originally bonded with a human host still have that human host.

Their hosts have moved on. They do assume human forms that look like them though, for sentimental reasons.

:allears: this sounds amazing (and yeah i figured human hosts were likely to change) ( and holy poo poo i'd forgotten that tidbit about Seven Not being in the franchise :allears: that is Amazing and really heart warming that they brought him in because of being the creators fav :kimchi:) (also you're entirely right that it Does make him better that he's Basically Just a dude) And thank you for the effort post (-also Jesus christ Seven's ending could have Stayed like it was :stare: )
And sorry for this Mess of a response.

M.Matsuda fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You're fine man

Yeah if UltraSeven hadn't been brought into Return of Ultraman, his series would end on a much, much darker note, as Strix can attest.

Though, fun fact. The Heisei UltraSeven series- a set of movies from 1994, 1998, 1999, 2001 and 2002- are all set in HIS original continuity, free of the other Ultra heroes, where he remains the only Ultra.

UltraSeven X is questionably in that setting as well.

It also means we have like, six UltraSeven's running around the multiverse. But you know, what can you do

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

Burkion posted:

You're fine man

Yeah if UltraSeven hadn't been brought into Return of Ultraman, his series would end on a much, much darker note, as Strix can attest.

Though, fun fact. The Heisei UltraSeven series- a set of movies from 1994, 1998, 1999, 2001 and 2002- are all set in HIS original continuity, free of the other Ultra heroes, where he remains the only Ultra.

UltraSeven X is questionably in that setting as well.

It also means we have like, six UltraSeven's running around the multiverse. But you know, what can you do

Six UltraSeven's I feel like there's a meme there :allears:
And those poor children (and adults) who both Watched that ending. And had to wait. what was it. SEVEN REAL LIFE YEARS for closure. jesus :stare:
(at least it isn't as bad as Doctor Who's hiatus from Classic to Nu)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

It's time for a not-actually-Halloween episode! This time around, Rita attacks with her latest monster, Frankenbeans.

...what do you mean that's the wrong show?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3CuXocyf6w

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/ApolloGeese/status/904154394408693760

:yeah:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Is that avatar Level 1 Turn-A Gundam? :allears:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/overtimesubs/status/904297857150107648

Thank you Over-Time!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
finally, a kamen rider show about fighting the cops

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Geez, O-T works fast. I didn't expect this to be subbed a few hours after release, that's terrific.

Also this first episode evaded my greatest fears (THROW ALL THE FORMS IN, Ghost-style, gently caress pacing) but at the same time didn't get me very interested. I guess that's the fate of a plotdump, even if it was a well-done one. Hedgehog is a great Full Bottle though and I hope it gets used very often because that was hilarious. Poke!

Not sure how I feel about Sento yet, but I don't think he's bland at least. Hopefully with more character focus he'll be good.

Having the Rider actually oppose the law is neat and I like it, that's probably the most interesting aspect of Build right now.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm glad Build ends its first episode on a dick joke.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So, M last night called Kuuga a deconstruction.

I have to disagree with that. Kuuga's not a whole lot like any Rider series after it, but it is truly a Kamen Rider series to its core.

I have a lot I can say about why Kamen Rider Gaim is a fundamentally flawed show, and how it's ending invalidates it as a good Kamen Rider series in my eyes, but I'll save that post for later. It is relevant however.

Kuuga was the last series Ishinomori worked on before his death. He came up with the themes and core concept of the show, as well as the gimmick for Kuuga's form changing.

And in honor of his memory, the show runners and writers of Kuuga made it Ishinomori as gently caress.

The Grongi all call back to the classic Shocker Cyborgs, with very humanoid designs paired to animal motifs that could be very vague at times. More than just their shape, how they're designed works in line with that. They're very sleek, uncomplicated things, like the early Shocker cyborgs, and all of them wear belts with their organization on it, like the early Shocker Cyborgs.

Kuuga himself continues the theme that Ishinomori had tried to pursue since, really, Kamen Rider Amazon, but most specifically since Kamen Rider Black and Shin.

His costume is more artificial than theirs, with obvious plastic armor and very obvious body suit instead of the techno organic aesthetic of Black or the monstrous design of Shin, but from the story it's dead on to where he wanted to explore with them. If anything, Kuuga reaffirms what Ishinomori believed about Kamen Riders more than any other modern series except perhaps Amazons.

He called them the Crying Warriors, and most of the early Riders have the tear drop designs on their helmets to look like they are crying. In the original manga, Hongo and Hayato would reveal their surgical scars when they got upset or were about to transform, again vaguely calling to appearing that they were crying. Which, if you know how Kuuga ends, you know why that is extremely relevant.

I'm VERY excited to hear that Build takes on the police, because Kamen Rider is, to its core, a very anti societal hero.

Kamen Rider exists outside the system, and has always existed outside the system.

In recent Japanese super hero works, like My Hero Academia, a classic Rider would never join the hero society and are fundamentally opposed to how those heroes, in their rigid systems, operate and function. Even most modern Riders wouldn't.

I want to see what Build is doing before I go too much further into it, but I'm very excited about this

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That was a pretty good first impression. They've opened a lot of questions, major and minor, and didn't get shy about putting themselves in a situation where they can't really maintain a status quo.

Plus, the return of "Kamen Rider created by bad guy experiments" is nice.

ActionZero posted:

If I hadn't known already that Sentou was Build, watching that episode I would have expected him to give the belt to Ryuuga and be his tech guy for the series.
If Ryuuga doesn't end up a secondary rider inside of ten episodes, I'll eat my pointy hair swoosh.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
If I hadn't known already that Sento was Build, watching that episode I would have expected him to give the belt to Ryuuga and be his tech guy for the series.

edit: Okay finished the first episode, I am definitely down to see where this ride goes.

Caphi posted:

It's not "Sentou."
So it isn't.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 3, 2017

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
So having slept, I have some long form thoughts on Build.

Obviously the main thing that makes Build a delight out the gate is Sento Kiryu himself. After a rash of stuttering kids who get thrown facefirst into their belts that goes back to Drive, arguably Wizard (no, hang on, I'll get to this), we have a hero who is technically competent, understands his own tools, and most of all is in command of himself, but is still quirky enough to attack the monsters with (probably nonsense) physics formulae. This throws us right into the character from the get-go and splashes the entire show with his colors, which is part of what makes the pilot so strong.

Now, this could go as badly as Wizard. I suspect it won't.

The reason is that the smug, sassy Build is placed in context. A lot of context. For starters, Sento already has a partner who, if he isn't on his level technically, at least has Sento's buy-in; is just as invested in the plot, if not more; takes his own initiative; and is known to become a Rider himself.

The pilot also succeeded in establishing a lot of plot without a lot of wastage while setting those two up. Though Sento knows the formula, he's only dimly aware of the plot, which affects him deeply: Build understands basic setup and foreshadowing. On top of that, embedded in the plot about the science conspiracy are Sento's other relationships with the barman and with Misora; the existence of Sawa, the journalist; the involvement of Administrative Aide Gentoku; and oh, secret identities are (presumably) back, while Sento works for the powerful bad guys (?) while harboring a fugitive. There's a lot going on that's not just about how cool/smart Sento is! And in the backdrop, there's the Touto police state, the cross-lying agendas of Hokuto and Seito, and the potential for international intervention (!). If none of that gets followed up on, we can declare the show wasted potential, but the pilot promises a decent amount of scaling up.

In short, it's an open where there's a lot going on, but the main character(s) is a solid, well-established character with both agency and space to grow.

Take me with a grain of salt, though, because I might be forgetting some things. There was a solid minute of the show where every thought I was nursing was completely wiped out by a solid minute of uncontrollable giggling at the Rider Kick. So there's that.

e:

ActionZero posted:

If I hadn't known already that Sentou was Build, watching that episode I would have expected him to give the belt to Ryuuga and be his tech guy for the series.

It's not "Sentou."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Would you say that he's... a Super Sentou?

Also lol like a half-dozen people just straight up died during that chase sequence.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Now that we're two Rider series out from Ghost, shouldn't we change the thread tag by now?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Or we could just make a new thread. :ssh:

Hell, I'll do it myself if anybody wants to help me put the OP together.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Would you say that he's... a Super Sentou?

Also lol like a half-dozen people just straight up died during that chase sequence.

The cops with the funny masks are all mechanized soldiers.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Build has promise. I dig it.

https://twitter.com/Waffleman_/status/904378375317409792

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Please be good, Build.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, that actually got a chuckle out of me.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

That was a lot more daring than I was expecting, and I'm pretty intrigued. Wasn't expecting the main character to flat up become a fugitive from the law in the first episode. Or for a modern Toei toku series to make the government that blatantly in the wrong on purpose. Ryuga's actor was pretty great in Amazons S2, and it looks like he's keeping that up here too. :)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Is Sento a fugitive? I don't recall the government guys seeing him unmasked.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Is Sento a fugitive? I don't recall the government guys seeing him unmasked.

He said he was, and he certainly is as his Kamen Rider forms from here on out.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

This made me laugh quite a bit.

Pretty solid first ep, going to keep watching.
I'ttle take me some time to forget Danger! Danger! Death Crisis! Genocide! though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Okay, yeah, Build himself is definitely a fugitive.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Every girl's heart is a Tokimeki Crisis!

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
In the next ep preview I believe I saw Sento hanging out with evil bossman, so I do think we actually have a Kamen Rider who's putting his double identity to good use. And it's real nice to see a competent, proactive lead again.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm writing a lot of words about toku poo poo and you're all going to read them

Or at least skim over them

So look forward to that

Also I'm writing toku inspired novels now so that's also a thing. Woo

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

Okay. I'm back after sleeping. and since it's new. i gave Build's first epiosde a shot before i have to wait 40+ weeks to see if it sticks the landing and watch All of it. Please don't be another Ghost. :negative:
first thoughts that are unlikely to be really deep or anything: Build is so stylish and i love how his eyes glowed at night :swoon: Also his rider kick was Super Neat :allears:
Sento is a Giant nerd. And he has a Math Watch, and Made a bike out of a Phone :allears: I am totally down to see where his character goes. please let it go somewhere good. please don't be Ghost.
And jeeze human experimentation. brings back memories of watching the first three eps of OG kamen rider. :suspense:
Also Literally More bike action that ALL of Ex Aid.
All in all i enjoyed the first episode of Build. and i'm glad i didn't have to patch this first episode myself this time. (i mentioned watching Half of Ghost on it's premire. that is why. i could Not fully figure it out)

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I feel this watch needs to be seen by everyone.

I want one irl.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Coming soon to Premium Bandai

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I want to give this boy the biggest swirlie, what a fuckin' nerdlinger.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

gourdcaptain posted:

I do love the Blade cast, each and every awkwardly overacting or underacting one. :)

Honestly I was never particularly fond of Mutsuki in the first half of the show. He definitely gets better but I've never been a fan of brainwashed Rider plots.

ActionZero posted:

I feel this watch needs to be seen by everyone.

I understand all of them except 11 and 12.

e: OH poo poo O-T is subbing Kamen Rider 4! I already saw it but I'm definitely going to watch it again with their subs, it's extremely good.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Twelve by Pies posted:

I understand all of them except 11 and 12.

1100 is 12 in binary. The clue is the 2 after the number.

I have no idea about 11 though.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's hex, but it's not marked properly (normally 0 is the octal prefix; the hex prefix is 0x).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Caphi posted:

It's hex, but it's not marked properly (normally 0 is the octal prefix; the hex prefix is 0x).

That explains it. I didn't think about hexadecimal but that markup is indeed wrong, weird error from something trying to look intelligent.

Then again 0x wouldn't have told me either, I've only seen hexa marked with h at the end, like binary with b.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Really interested in Build after that first episode. It's a lot of clear setup, but very clean. It's asking the obvious questions but there's a lot of room for places it could go. Sentou is a fun protagonist who's clearly competent but isn't a dull-faced superperson like what's his face from Wizard. Looking forward to more!

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Coming soon to Premium Bandai

Pretty sure they put it for sale the moment the episode ended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

Well after some stomach issues, angsting over Tien being Usless in Dragon Ball Super :negative:, and watching Build's first episode :swoon:. i return to liveblogging Toku shows.
and in this case Very tall and handsome aliens. :swoon: and the humans around them, who will likely take up the majority of episode runtime. i watched a few episodes of UltraSeven (out of order. -i'll go back normally someday),and read up on the Original Ultraman. i know how this sort of thing works. but at least the ladies are cute :swoon:
also, why did that one episode on..what was it Planet 4 have almost it's ENTIRE soundtrack be that guy eating an apple as grossly,And Noisely as possible.
Also Quick note here. i didn't actually watch much Toku growing up. it didn't help that until middle school i had to go to hebrew school on sundays, which was :airquote: Fun :airquote: i ended up watching Liveman because a reviewer i liked was covering all of power rangers and after tearing through those i went on a tv tropes binge through the early sentai. and Liveman had an interesting sounding plot. And well. i heard Yellow Lion was a Really Really good effect for the time. it was. but by God did they waste it. like Burkion told me. SKIP THE MECHA FIGHTS. you watch one. you've seen almost all of them. but besides that Liveman's plot and characters were imo pretty good.
Sorry for all the :words: :blush:
Either way. On with Nexus. :munch:
And Oh Joy Sinister Mole-man is here. (I STILL DON'T TRUST HIM) And Oooh it's time for Exposition :allears:
Edit: oh cool the underwater secret hideout's near a dam.
Edit: the uniforms are pretty nice. shame the helmets are imo kind of silly looking. but i'll get used to them. i just finished EX Aid after all
Edit: Training Montage :allears:
Edit: And Komon's instructor is another cutie. with a nice name: Shiori
Edit: Jeeze Komon you haven't contacted your GF in three weeks. what are you doing. i'm not weird for thinking that's a Lot of time right?
Edit: "eat you to death" CR i think i got the gist from Eat you. :allears:
Edit: And there he is: , boy the Ninth Doctor here sure, just loves standing around and looking forboding for a few seconds before vanishing huh. :munch:
Edit: Komon. you didn't contact her for 3 weeks before showing up. That is not surprise time. Call First.
Edit: Man you're lucky she's happy about this
Edit: Aww she gave him a cute thing. :)
Edit: :shudder: unngh giant centipede looking fucker
Edit: Oh jeeze those sound effects :stare: what a way to go :suspense:
Edit: WHY IS THE MONSTER BIGGER :stonk:
Edit: Oh jeeze the monsters are learning :suspense:
Edit: Oh good Christopher Eccleston is here :munch:
Edit: And he brought the giant handsome alien :swoon:
Edit: goddamnit. HE JUST HELPED YOU RESCUE THE HOSTAGES. WHY ARE YOU SHOOTING HIM.
Edit: And onto Episode 3 i go

M.Matsuda fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 4, 2017

• Locked thread