Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I won't get into Gaim right now because I figure we should be three or four pages in before I start talking poo poo and then getting poo poo talked about children shows from Japan.

Instead here's a toku that's currently being subbed at a pretty good pace that is loving fantastic that never gets any love- JUSPION.

Juspion is being done by Mega Beast Empire, and is a wonderful beautiful show. It's got everything you could want if everything you could want includes insane 80s scifi battles, armored heroes fighting a lot of random aliens, and giant robots punching giant monsters every episode. It's even got a fantastic Evil Juspion named Mad Gallant who acts as the main rival for the human sized battles, and all of the monsters are super creative and interesting.

Go track down Juspion and enjoy the doofy champion of Justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I still haven't finished Gaim, I'm about 10 episodes off, but it was my favorite Kamen Rider up until I stopped and I don't know how bad the ending has to be the dampen that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Flameingblack posted:

I still haven't finished Gaim, I'm about 10 episodes off, but it was my favorite Kamen Rider up until I stopped and I don't know how bad the ending has to be the dampen that.
The ending is decent but doesn't really stick the landing, as long as you don't watch the last episode. The last episode is kinda weird and undoes some of the closure.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

To be fair, how many Kamen Riders can one really say had good endings?

-Kuuga: Haven't watched fully yet.
-Agito: Okay ending, though the final fight ends in a really anticlimactic way.
-Ryuki: Reset button ruins what could've been a great and unconventional ending.
-Faiz: Terrible ending that resolves literally nothing.
-Blade: Depressing but great ending.
-Hibiki: Haven't watched, but I know that it wasn't very well recieved.
-Kabuto: Nonsense ending, but then again, it shouldn't surprise anyone.
-Den-O: The climax train never ends. There will always be more movies.
-Kiva: Acceptable enough. The wedding was cute.
-Decade: Never resolved who the hell the main villain was (seriously, what the gently caress is Narutaki?). But then again, no story.
-Double: Either you ignore the last episode and get a bittersweet ending, or accept it and get an absolute asspull for a complete happy ending. Either work, but it would've been nice for the series to decide which it wanted to go for.
-OOO: Pretty good ending that ties up loose ends very well and gives Eiji some development.
-Fourze: So I guess someone rescued those guys in Meteor's satellite at some point? Or were they just left to die?
-Wizard: Really cool-looking final blow for a villain that got his place in a very dumb way. Not a great ending, but probably more than the series deserved.
-Gaim: Kaito should've won, seriously. The last episode is terrible too.
-Drive: Great ending to a great series. Basically everything works, beyond Sigma Circular being kind of a bad final boss. Would've preferred an all-out against Banno, but oh well. Last episode was unneccesary, but it did give closure to the Neo-Shade plot that was completely forgotten otherwise, and showed Shinnosuke's growth and where he would go from there on.
-Ghost: please be good.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
w has a great ending get out of my house

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Kuuga also had a great ending.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

W, OOO, and Fourze will always have the loose thread that is Foundation X hanging over their heads because Toei dropped the metaplot entirely. :argh:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dexie posted:

W, OOO, and Fourze will always have the loose thread that is Foundation X hanging over their heads because Toei dropped the metaplot entirely. :argh:

Eh, I think it works in W's case because Foundation X are basically an ongoing villain organization but W's plot ends with the clear idea that Kamen Rider will always stand against them.

(I also think W's ending is extremely good, even if the ending of the second-to-last episode is also extremely good.)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

W's ending is extremely good, but it still bothers me that Foundation X just kind of fell by the wayside.

Like, I would have be happen with even just a throwaway line about how Yggdrasil was part of the Foundation or that the Foundation was involved with the eclipse ritual. Just something to show that they're still doing stuff and not just doing nothing because Toei forgot them.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Didn't they destroy the last foundation X guy in the W Fourze OOO movie?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

He wasn't the last guy. He was a Foundation scientist that went rogue.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Blaze Dragon posted:

To be fair, how many Kamen Riders can one really say had good endings?

Fourze

Hahaha wow. I somehow managed to miss that entire plot point in the shuffle. Can I chalk that up to bad TV-N subs, or am I incredibly dense?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

Hahaha wow. I somehow managed to miss that entire plot point in the shuffle. Can I chalk that up to bad TV-N subs, or am I incredibly dense?

Nah, the show itself kind of forgot about them too, don't worry about it.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
They come back later. I think Ryuusei goes and saves them in between the sequel movie and the last episode.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
If I failed to be impressed by Gaim for the first 20 episodes will future episodes change my mind
I've liked two other urobouchi outings but usually I like the characters better.

E: sick to my stomach, considering finishing it while I can't seem to manage other tasks

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 5, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
With Faiz the best way to handle it is to only watch about halfway through and then watch Paradise Lost to act as a finale(I'm kinda biased though as Paradise Lost was one of my first exposures to Rider, and I'm still of the opinion that it's one of the best pre-Decade Rider movies)

Also with Decade, there's an edit of Movie Wars 2010(that cuts out the Double and Crossover segments of the movie) that someone made that I need to dig up that acts as a final episode for Decade that actually works pretty well in that context, with All Riders vs Dai-Shocker being moved to after the series instead of during it

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Poison Mushroom posted:

This, unironically.

ToQ is kind of divisive, and I've heard Ninnin has some pretty good episodes and some really bad ones, so :shrug:

Divisive? Opinions range from "total garbage" to "it was okay." Easily the most hated series since Go-Onger. Yes, even Goseiger has more fans.

I won't talk about Ninninger since I already did that last page but if you do watch it beware, the acting in the first few episodes is really bad. Fortunately everyone but Takaharu's acting improves as the show goes on.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
re: Juspion.

So, earlier someone said that Megabeast empire was subbing Juspion. I looked into it and saw this:

this decided it for me. I have to see in what show the producers said "yeah, this is good and cool and makes 100% sense, let's do this."

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Acne Rain posted:

If I failed to be impressed by Gaim for the first 20 episodes will future episodes change my mind
I've liked two other urobouchi outings but usually I like the characters better.

E: sick to my stomach, considering finishing it while I can't seem to manage other tasks

No, future episodes very likely won't.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Acne Rain posted:

The first 11 episodes are kind of setup, so I can see not liking it by that point, but if by episode 20 you don't like it, I doubt you will. If it's not working for you at that point, just go watch something else. If you haven't watched W or Drive, I fully recommend either. Or OOO or Fourze. Basically there's lots of good Riders to watch while you feel bad, and everything is hit or miss.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

re: Juspion.

So, earlier someone said that Megabeast empire was subbing Juspion. I looked into it and saw this:

this decided it for me. I have to see in what show the producers said "yeah, this is good and cool and makes 100% sense, let's do this."

Embrace it. Love it. Never look back from the Juspion

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Burkion posted:

Embrace it. Love it. Never look back from the Juspion

Just in time, as I've caught up on Winspector (Hurry Weeaboo Shotgun, I'm jonesin for more Winspector.)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Just in time, as I've caught up on Winspector (Hurry Weeaboo Shotgun, I'm jonesin for more Winspector.)

I will note the first ...11? I think? Episodes are a bit sillier than what comes after. A bit.

It's all fairly light hearted and fun, but there's a noticeable change in the show.

The main character's afro gets cut into a normal hair style

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Please be good.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Literally The Worst posted:

Drive was good as hell. There's a sad scene wth a sentient toy car in the rain.

Go-Onger had that too!

God I loved Go-Onger. The fact that the mechs were actual main characters who were actively involved in the episodes the entire time is just really awesome to me. Go-Busters kind of did that too but when they weren't using the mechs generally the Buddyroids just sat around the base doing nothing, rather than always being the team's partners like the Engines were.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
go-onger sucks

ghost is dece

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I think this episode marks the first time except for like literally episode 1 where they actually did the full 5 man Fury Slashes finisher instead of some Variation of 'Takaharu + Extra'.

Other then that...

The other bad guys find out Kyuuemon has been screwing them over, and in response do....absolutely nothing to him. Despite very clearly acknowledging he's been killing their subordinates and stealing them out from under them, they're just like 'eh whatever.'

Today's lesson was I am pretty sure something Nagi learned in one of the early Episodes too 'you should be more like Takaharu and just DO things.'. I mean it was less obvious this time, but still like, why? Takaharu has generally been super dumb, but this time he figures out the 'trick' to getting the new Mecha. Very odd.

Rip Quebely.

Next episode looks dumb in a good way.

Edit; holy like like 12 people just straight up died in Ghost in like the first three minutes.

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 6, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Mc of ghost is kind of a weiner, but probably that won't last.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I watched more gaim.

Past episode 20, the plot becomes INSANE and far more Urobouchi, so I've warmed up to it despite not liking Kouta or Kaito.

I'm getting the sense that this is the Kamen Rider version of Deep Space 9.
DS9 got a mixed reception of high praise on its own terms and scorn from fans for 1) being more serialized than previous trek (which Gaim kinda is instead of being two part stories) 2) Handling more difficult situations where there was no right answer 3) Having good characters end up doing the wrong thing and living with it, going against the vision of the larger series.
(um wait, also it's about a community based around a wormhole and exploring the new world in it. and the series has local political conflicts while slowly revealing a main threat beyond the wormhole...:crossarms:)

problem is Kouta is not The Sisko, there is no The Sisko so far.
actually I'm kind of getting the feeling I'm supposed to hate him.

also forget any of the collectibles, I want all the juices and parfaits from this show.

e: wizard is voyager

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Oct 6, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Part of the problem is that the protagonist is one of the least interesting characters of Gaim, which isn't helped by the fact that he tends to spin his wheels more often than not. Or at least seems to. Interesting developments happen to characters around him, but he sort of just has things handed to him. His actor has a lot of charisma but he can only really work with the material he's given. He's at his best in the very beginning which is also where the story's at its weakest. The middle of Gaim is the strongest bit because the drama stays the tightest and things move at a decent clip. The early bits take a little too long to get serious, which doesn't play to Gaim's strengths compared to other, lighter-hearted shows. The end suffers a lot from pacing issues and a dearth of compelling stakes (to say more would honestly spoil things). Also like some other Urobuchi works, women really, really get the short end of the stick in terms of agency and, in the case of the most prominent female characters, their ultimate fates.

And this is an opinion that Burkion's shared several times but I agree that it really is a victim to product scheduling, where upgrades are bestowed arbitrarily to fit toy releases rather than to serve the actual plot beats.

Gaim's tone and subject matter may be love-it-or-hate-it but at least around here I remember more posts by people who were just disappointed by the execution. Double and Drive might be more lighthearted and kid-friendly fare but they're also better made. And I'm saying this as a fan, I'd easily put Gaim in my top 5 in spite of how disappointing the last leg of it was.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Acne Rain posted:

I watched more gaim.

Past episode 20, the plot becomes INSANE and far more Urobouchi, so I've warmed up to it despite not liking Kouta or Kaito.

I'm getting the sense that this is the Kamen Rider version of Deep Space 9.
DS9 got a mixed reception of high praise on its own terms and scorn from fans for 1) being more serialized than previous trek (which Gaim kinda is instead of being two part stories) 2) Handling more difficult situations where there was no right answer 3) Having good characters end up doing the wrong thing and living with it, going against the vision of the larger series.
(um wait, also it's about a community based around a wormhole and exploring the new world in it. and the series has local political conflicts while slowly revealing a main threat beyond the wormhole...:crossarms:)

problem is Kouta is not The Sisko, there is no The Sisko so far.
actually I'm kind of getting the feeling I'm supposed to hate him.

also forget any of the collectibles, I want all the juices and parfaits from this show.

e: wizard is voyager

Color me a bit surprised, but I thought the plot had already gotten going by episode 20 because by then you've learned the secret of Helheim and Kaitou is recruited by Ryoma. And Micchy's... started really becoming scum. It isn't that into the plot I guess, but the episodes were already very serial by then.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is kind of funny how like half the cast's role in drive is to get Tomari out of his funks after Kouta spent most of his show in one for one reason or another. Dude just had no one to confide in most of the time.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I can't say I enjoyed Ghost's first episode, honestly. I think I hated literally everyone in it. Akari is annoying and her "OH NO GHOSTS DON'T EXIST DESPITE HAVING ONE RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME" will get really loving intolerable if it continues, and it seems like it will; the head priest is just as annoying despite being in the right but I could see him becoming a somewhat father-like figure and more likable with time. Takeru might be the lamest hero we've had in a long, long while, but I'm sure he'll grow into someone who doesn't make me wonder why he was chosen for the role. I just hope we never have to hear his whining voice again.

Also I keep calling Takeru "Touga". Hopefully that will end soon because this is very clearly not Gravion.

At least Takeru being a ghost is not kept as a secret. I feared it being so and we'd have dumb ways to hide it ala Meteor, but nope, he makes it clear from the get-go that he's dead. And Akari freaks out because ghosts clearly don't exist, sigh.

The parka ghosts attacking the Ganma during the transformations was really cool. I love when there's an actual explanation of why the heroes don't get attacked while transforming. Hopefully we'll get neat use of those like in Gaim with the armour parts.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Blaze Dragon posted:

I love when there's an actual explanation of why the heroes don't get attacked while transforming.

Super Sentai's been getting really good about that lately. A lot of the time the monster will launch an attack at them, and it just gets repelled by their energy vortex, or they otherwise jump out of the flames unscathed. It's a lot better than the old "monster stands around and waits for the stock footage to finish".

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I thought the standard explanation was that the transformation was lightning fast in real-time.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Ghost looks to be alright so far.

I can't say I love it yet but it's at least decent. Once some more episodes come out we'll really know where it stands. I dropped Wizard partway through episode 6 so it'd have to work to make me dislike it that much.

I hope they don't go too heavy on the "floating around swinging a sword at 1 guy" thing. It's cool when you wire-fu at a bunch of guys but, unless the enemy can do it too, floating around 1 guy is uninteresting (unless they just casually knock him out of the air like they did in this one).

Some midair ghost fighting would probably be cool to see at some point.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

Ghost looks to be alright so far.

I can't say I love it yet but it's at least decent. Once some more episodes come out we'll really know where it stands. I dropped Wizard partway through episode 6 so it'd have to work to make me dislike it that much.

I hope they don't go too heavy on the "floating around swinging a sword at 1 guy" thing. It's cool when you wire-fu at a bunch of guys but, unless the enemy can do it too, floating around 1 guy is uninteresting (unless they just casually knock him out of the air like they did in this one).

Some midair ghost fighting would probably be cool to see at some point.

The light-up suit looks really cool and I hope they have lots of opportunities to show it off.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tae posted:

I thought the standard explanation was that the transformation was lightning fast in real-time.

That's varied from series to series, but yeah. Usually when you saw a transformation back in the day, it was pretty well instant, and that's, sadly, a plot point with Space Sheriff Gavan.

A plot point they refuse to ever let you forget. Ever. Every goddamn episode.

I love Gavan, I do, but the forumla of that show hurts it SO bad. YES NARRATOR I KNOW HIS TRANSFORMATION TAKES A BILLIONTH OF A SECOND COULD YOU PLEASE NOT SHOW ME IT AGAIN

For all of the numerous and many flaws of most of Kikaider, it doesn't actively halt the episode to tell you poo poo you already know every loving time.

Gaim, Gaim, Gaim. Keep us posted on your Gaim watch through, Acne Rain. I'm interested to hear where that goes

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'm surprised no one's made any jokes yet about one of the villains looking like Narutaki's Hillbilly/British cousin(seriously seeing that guy's teeth made my mouth hurt)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Until they finally showed a front shot I thought one of the bad ghosts was literally the Hibiki suit.

• Locked thread