Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

drrockso20 posted:

I'm surprised no one's made any jokes yet about one of the villains looking like Narutaki's Hillbilly/British cousin(seriously seeing that guy's teeth made my mouth hurt)

Never watch Boukenger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

drrockso20 posted:

I'm surprised no one's made any jokes yet about one of the villains looking like Narutaki's Hillbilly/British cousin(seriously seeing that guy's teeth made my mouth hurt)

I'm glad we have a spooky night-time Narutaki.

I thought it was an okay first episode. They didn't really sell the "this is my first time at the Rodeo" thing as well as they did in Den-O, but I got a good idea of the show's concepts and I'm interested in seeing more. I'm guessing he's gonna be earning new forms via events that are combination rushed history lesson / shonen soul-searching, which is kinda cool.

I like the Sage, who only sounds important when he's trying to, and I also still like the Ghost of Ticket.

I think his transitional half-transformation with the glowy skeleton bits is really cool, too.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i like his magic hoodies

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, I like the visual effects a lot. I'm not so sure about the two people so dedicated to their gimmicks that they completely forgot their friend had just died, though.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Justin_Brett posted:

Never watch Boukenger.
Seriously, dont.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Serious Frolicking posted:

Yeah, I like the visual effects a lot. I'm not so sure about the two people so dedicated to their gimmicks that they completely forgot their friend had just died, though.

I hope they get into little "weird facts of ghost life" for Takeru. I noticed his shoes materialized when he took them off to go inside. I wonder if he's gonna spend a couple episodes getting lessons from Sage and Ticket about the proper method of walking through solid objects and stuff.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

The mental gymnastics some people go through for adding trivia to the wikia will never cease to be hilarious :allears:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Ignis posted:

The mental gymnastics some people go through for adding trivia to the wikia will never cease to be hilarious :allears:

If only they would go back and finish the plot summaries for Go-Busters or correcting their grammar instead of adding trivia. :smith:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

V-Men posted:

Color me a bit surprised, but I thought the plot had already gotten going by episode 20 because by then you've learned the secret of Helheim and Kaitou is recruited by Ryoma. And Micchy's... started really becoming scum. It isn't that into the plot I guess, but the episodes were already very serial by then.

turnaround is mainly because the helheim forest is not that surprising. episode 21 reveals project ark and it's loving nuts.

yggdrasil is basically far more interesting than the protagonists and seeing what they do is what I'm watching for.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Justin_Brett posted:

Never watch Boukenger.

Well I've already watched some of Boukenger, really hope someone besides TVN subs it someday, especially since it has some of my favorite Suit and Mecha designs in the franchise(Ultimate Dai-Bouken is still probably the best full combination mech the franchise has had)

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Boukenger also has a pretty dope theme song.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

mikeycp posted:

Boukenger also has a pretty dope theme song.

The whole Bouken soundtrack is rad as gently caress. I liked it so much I imported the CDs back in the day. Those robot themes!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I like Ghost so far, Takeru kind of reminds me of a slightly more confident version of Ryotaro from Den-O and I absolutely love Yurusen. Hopefully Araki's skepticism will at least lessen a bit as the series goes on as it seems like her constantly denying everything would get annoying after a while. I also really like the look of Ghost's Blank Form (The form he reverts to when not using an eyecon, don't know if there's a proper name for it) and hope it gets a bit more screen time eventually.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Larryb posted:

Ghost's Blank Form (The form he reverts to when not using an eyecon, don't know if there's a proper name for it)

I lobby to just start calling it Plat Form, like in Den-O.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I do think it is neat how they aren't limiting themselves to japanese luminaries. Like sure, Edison was a huge jerk, but his inclusion is better than the usual trip up the rear end of japanese history.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

I lobby to just start calling it Plat Form, like in Den-O.

I just looked it up, apparently it's called Transient Soul and, like Kuuga's Growing Form, I kind of like it a little better than Ghost's base form (which isn't bad mind you, it certainly looks better in action than it does in pictures).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 6, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

I do think it is neat how they aren't limiting themselves to japanese luminaries. Like sure, Edison was a huge jerk, but his inclusion is better than the usual trip up the rear end of japanese history.

Should've been Tesla :colbert: even if people in Japan probably don't know much about Tesla other than it's an electric car.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Boukenger is my favorite Sentai, I was just doing a bad teeth joke about Masumi, 'cause holy poo poo.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Xelkelvos posted:

Should've been Tesla :colbert: even if people in Japan probably don't know much about Tesla other than it's an electric car.

tesla was a fuckin lunatic weirdo and most people in america let alone japan don't know who he was, shut up with the nerd pedant bullshit

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

He's right though. :colbert:

And he may have been a lunatic weirdo but at least he never killed an elephant in an attempt to make Edison look bad. :colbert:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
shut uppppppp

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
THIS JAPANESE CHILDREN'S SUPERHERO SHOW ISN'T HISTORICALLY ACCURATE cry goons

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Literally The Worst posted:

tesla was a fuckin lunatic weirdo

And that's bad because?

I liked the first ep of Ghost, really hoping it's good.
Worst case, I have a bunch of other shows :shepicide:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

tesla was a fuckin lunatic weirdo

and edison was a jackass of epic proportions. what's your point?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

mikeycp posted:

so... secondary rider then?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mikeycp posted:

maybe we could stop with the dick-measuring and wailing about historical inaccuracies in a show where a man rides a dirt bike and then puts on a magic hoodie and his dirt bike suddenly has a dope fuckin unicorn head on it

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

maybe we could stop with the dick-measuring and wailing about historical inaccuracies

The what now? Nobody's doing that, they're just talking dude.

That bike is pretty fuckin' sweet though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
See if you say anything remotely critical about a show, no matter what the show is or how not serious your criticism is, you are instantly wrong and a baby because shut up

I think that's what the message here is

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lmao

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

maybe we could stop with the dick-measuring and wailing about historical inaccuracies in a show where a man rides a dirt bike and then puts on a magic hoodie and his dirt bike suddenly has a dope fuckin unicorn head on it

Burkion posted:

See if you say anything remotely critical about a show, no matter what the show is or how not serious your criticism is, you are instantly wrong and a baby because shut up

:yikes:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Xelkelvos posted:

I predicted that cringe-worthy manchildren would be going "what about Tesla" as soon as I saw the Edison thing. Not surprised in the least that two people would bring it up shortly after airing.

As to the rest? The belt looks awful, its bulky and looks like it will be obnoxious. Not really a fan of the little ghost puppet character either. I find the idea that someone who appears to be studying to be a monk would have that ridiculous pretty boy haircut to be, well, ridiculous. Still, there seems like there's some stuff for me to enjoy in the show and I plan to keep on watching. I like the look of the base, I think the ghost aspect, if they actually bother to keep it going, looks interesting and none of the actors has been awful so far (MC is the worst of them but I hesitate to call him anything other than mediocre.)

Of course it is a first episode and who knows how the show will actually turn out.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

it was an irritating "just talking" when the form was announced, it's irritating now

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Cliff Racer posted:

Not really a fan of the little ghost puppet character either.

I was able to read the rest of this post, but this line is just showing up as a bunch of garbles letters. Is this happening for anyone else?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

First episode of Ghost was impressively dull, which is a shock to me since I've never seen a Rider show with a bad first episode before. The characters all feel really one-note even by toku standards, couldn't tell you much about them besides the single personality quirk each of them had, and the direction was really poor. Up until I quit watching it felt like they were speeding through all the required plot beats as quickly as possible, like they were dispassionately checking items off a list. The epitome of this was the "afterlife" scene where Takeru wakes up, gets the premise of the show dumped on him along with a Rider belt and a CG mascot, and is shunted back into the real world for the fight scene, which is where I stopped watching after he immediately produced a huge unwieldy sword and started flailing around.

I feel like an idiot for being dismissive of a show to the point that I didn't even finish the first episode, but absolutely nothing about it grabbed me, which is shocking since even the lesser Rider shows have a good opener that gives you a good feel for the characters, their motivation, what's going on, and has a likability and charm to it that'll at least keep you intrigued enough to keep going.

Motto fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 7, 2015

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Much like the majority of historical heroes, I'd wager Musashi was probably also a lunatic weirdo, if he really killed 100 dudes in one sitting.

Looking forward to Edison Form electrocuting an elephant kaijin.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I dropped Ninninger at around 20 but I'd gladly go back and watch all of it if Katsumi gets to be the Last Ninja.

Also I don't care if Takaharu is some meta-commentary on Reds. He's still a lovely as hell pain in the rear end.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

it was an irritating "just talking" when the form was announced, it's irritating now

On the other hand, people getting mad about people getting mad about Tesla is hilarious. If they really wanted an electric Inventor guy though, they should've picked Benjamin Franklin and give him an electric Kite/chain-sickle to use.

Also, Ninninjer is going to end with all of them being The Last Ninja.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Motto posted:

Up until I quit watching it felt like they were speeding through all the required plot beats as quickly as possible, like they were dispassionately checking items off a list.

That's how almost every first Rider episode goes and by now it's really starting to show. "Normal dude falls into the belt and bumbles through his first fight like (varying degrees of) a complete doofus" hasn't been actually entertaining since Den-O, or depending on how much you loved chainsaw foot and the complete mishandling of Launcher, Fourze.

That's one of the big strengths W has, they just drop it; Shotaro and Philip have been W for some time, they know how their belt works and the show can do interesting things instead of a slogging initial arc of "Why is belt, why I belt, wacky sidekick please help re:belt." Hell even Wizard got that.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

On the other hand, people getting mad about people getting mad about Tesla is hilarious. If they really wanted an electric Inventor guy though, they should've picked Benjamin Franklin and give him an electric Kite/chain-sickle to use.

This would've been dope too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I have a question

Whose voice was that when the main character was dying due to being slashed in the chest?

Because that didn't sound like his or any other character we've seen so far

• Locked thread