Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Shaezerus posted:

depending on how much you loved chainsaw foot and the complete mishandling of Launcher, Fourze
I absolutely loved the Fourze version, because Gentaro was actually excited to be a superhero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Man I am not feeling the first episode of Ghost. At first, when the ghosts threw that ferris wheel through the Space Needle I was like, great! I like it when the villains are actually threats who kill people, instead of just making people have a bad day. And I wanted to be like, great! when the main character immediately died, because I like the gritty Kamen Riders where the main character goes through horrible poo poo, but it was all done so toothlessly. Like, he died, but they sort of went over it fast and then he met the funny-talking old man just to make sure you know he's not actually dead. and then the loving puppet on a string shows up, like something out of a Sentai show. I didn't watch past the first episode of Drive because of the goofy talking belt, and the ghost puppet is way worse.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I will say tho, the bald monk guy is cute.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Poison Mushroom posted:

I absolutely loved the Fourze version, because Gentaro was actually excited to be a superhero.

So did I. Gentaro is the only one I know of who went into the whole Main Rider thing headfirst instead of the usual two options of "Ryotaro-esque freakout" or "Utterly baffled about the situation and transformation, rolls with it anyway."

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

gently caress you boom3 Mr. Belt best belt

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

boom boom boom posted:

goofy talking belt

You missed out. The belt was like probably the fourth best character on that show. Both secondary riders were rad as hell.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Mach got kind of irritating at times, but it really paid off in the end.

And yeah, Mr. Belt owned.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Shaezerus posted:

That's how almost every first Rider episode goes and by now it's really starting to show. "Normal dude falls into the belt and bumbles through his first fight like (varying degrees of) a complete doofus" hasn't been actually entertaining since Den-O, or depending on how much you loved chainsaw foot and the complete mishandling of Launcher, Fourze.

That's one of the big strengths W has, they just drop it; Shotaro and Philip have been W for some time, they know how their belt works and the show can do interesting things instead of a slogging initial arc of "Why is belt, why I belt, wacky sidekick please help re:belt." Hell even Wizard got that.

Nah, the problem for me is in the execution, not the concept. OOO, Fourze, and Drive have similar opening episodes, but theirs were entertaining because they presented their premises and setting in an interesting way, introduced characters that were entertaining to watch, and had exciting fights, even if they mostly relied on blowing a bunch of CG money to accomplish that.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

NotALizardman posted:

And yeah, Mr. Belt owned.
He made it a really Nice Drive. :(

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Motto posted:

Nah, the problem for me is in the execution, not the concept. OOO, Fourze, and Drive have similar opening episodes, but theirs were entertaining because they presented their premises and setting in an interesting way, introduced characters that were entertaining to watch, and had exciting fights, even if they mostly relied on blowing a bunch of CG money to accomplish that.

Also everything about the show felt really amateurish. The sound mixing alone was loving hilarious. Everything was either too loud or too quiet and then they even hosed up overlaying the OP in the big fight and made it quieter than weapon effects by a huge margin.

The best moment of the show was listening to an old man you couldn't see because of the sun trying to say important things but they didn't dub it so they used whatever poo poo they got from their on set mics which was super quiet and not great quality.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Xelkelvos posted:

On the other hand, people getting mad about people getting mad about Tesla is hilarious. If they really wanted an electric Inventor guy though, they should've picked Benjamin Franklin and give him an electric Kite/chain-sickle to use.

see now this is a good "just talking"

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Wasn't there a Robin Hood, too? I hope we get more of "what do the Japanese think about British people".

The pride of every Englishman is his lawnmower :allears:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also everything about the show felt really amateurish. The sound mixing alone was loving hilarious. Everything was either too loud or too quiet and then they even hosed up overlaying the OP in the big fight and made it quieter than weapon effects by a huge margin.

The best moment of the show was listening to an old man you couldn't see because of the sun trying to say important things but they didn't dub it so they used whatever poo poo they got from their on set mics which was super quiet and not great quality.

That was so weird! Why didn't the ADR that, were they running behind schedule or something?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I noticed that some of the voices got REALLY weird- I swear the little "i'm dying' speech came from another person and not the main character, and I could have sworn the old man's voice randomly changed part way through as well

Like, I didn't hate this or anything, but it just felt kind of blase. It didn't offend my eyes like the first episode of Wizard, but the puppet immediately made me think of Ankh and how much better Ankh is.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I can agree that it felt a little rushed.

I know this is gonna get people angry with me, but I think it would have worked better as a 2 Parter to stretch it out some.

This Ghost is totally different from the Cameo in Drive 47/48 though, that dude seemed competent and capable, instead of kind of...bumbling?

I dunno. He also fights super differently. I liked his flowing fighting stuff way better then the tumbling around; he's worse at being bad at fighting then Eiji was at the start, so it just feels weird.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Stallion Cabana posted:

I can agree that it felt a little rushed.

I know this is gonna get people angry with me, but I think it would have worked better as a 2 Parter to stretch it out some.

I actually agree. It suffered a lot from the need to introduce the gimmick. If they had more time to focus on the dude dying, and actually play up that that was bad and these new bad guys are dangerous, and then he gets his base form and defeats one ghost that way at the end, that would've been better. Then in the second epsiode they could've introduced the form changing, spent some time with his friends, and shown his meeting them again in a way that actually had any emotion at all.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Maybe it'll get better! It's not the first KR series to have a clumsy opening and recover, right?

...right?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Stallion Cabana posted:

This Ghost is totally different from the Cameo in Drive 47/48 though, that dude seemed competent and capable, instead of kind of...bumbling?

Isn't that basically every New Rider Cameo though? Just kinda a stock hero persona for the 30 seconds of screentime where they actually talk and not show off their sick new gear.

This one at least has the excuse of obviously happening after Ghost 01

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Maybe it'll get better! It's not the first KR series to have a clumsy opening and recover, right?

...right?

I mean yes? There's no '...right?' about it; even Drive had a shaky start.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

PLEASE BE GOOD :shepface:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I dunno, Fourze had a pretty good first ep, with the enthusiasm and the wire rig. Kabuto had a really strong first episode too.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

PLEASE BE GOOD :shepface:
Toku Thread v3.1: Ghost Please Get Good

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
gently caress y'all, I loved the ghost of Ticket.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I liked the episode, by the way. Show just needs to stretch its legs a bit, I think. Maybe a 2 parter woulda helped.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Poison Mushroom posted:

...right?

Kamen Rider Gaim had a pretty clumsy opening.

It could get better from here, but I'm honestly expecting Not Much from Ghost.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

:ghost:

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
The first episode of Ghost has the parts of something good, but it felt way too rushed. I agree that it would have benefited from being a two-part deal. More time spent with the characters to know them a little better than the superficial quirks, a little more time dwelling on the dying thing, kill the first monster, bam. Done. And I'm glad I'm not the only one that has noticed that the sound mixing was way, way screwy.

I'd give it a few more episodes to see if it finds its legs. The premise is cool and the suit is cool and the fighty-hoodies are cool and uh, the ghost of Ticket sure is a thing.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
episode 28,29 of gaim, the Urobouchi-ing is intensifying hard. Schemes are hatched, characters are being betrayed, huge fight scenes between multiple riders are going on, everything's pretty good and then at the end
whir stomp whir stomp hey look it's who-gives-a-poo poo-bot/pepsi can man that has gently caress all to do with anything
ahhhh gently caress

Yeah I've seen go busters but this is worse, at least with Space Cowboy Gary had the decency to wait until the show was between plots instead of this poo poo
When I heard you guys say toys interrupted the flow of things I thought you meant the fruity talking padlocks, didn't realize the rest of Bandai's catalog would wander into the middle of the plot.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

If you think that's bad, wait until the episode later on that ties into the Gaim movie.

I hope you like soccer!

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

It's the end of the world as we know it

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Ghost's design looks cool as gently caress (that belt though...), episode 1 was alright if a bit dull. I might actually watch KR this year. :v:

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I do hope Ghost steers more toward Drive than Wizard.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I thought Super Fighting Robot Jiro was a pretty good one-shot apart from having the worst possible timing. But our expectations may, at the time, have been biased by the TQG/Gaim special making us feel like no crossover could ever be good ever again.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Caphi posted:

I thought Super Fighting Robot Jiro was a pretty good one-shot apart from having the worst possible timing. But our expectations may, at the time, have been biased by the TQG/Gaim special making us feel like no crossover could ever be good ever again.

You didn't like the Mole Beastman's top secret super duper evil henchman that he revived being his identical twin brother?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The Gaim/Kikaider crossover had Ryouma putting his brain in an evil robot just for shits and giggles and that alone kinda makes it all worth it

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Re: Ghost episode 1.

I can't be the only one who likes his Tokusatsu just a little bit on the cheap and lovely side, can I? It adds to the charm of it, when the costumes are a bit silly and cheap looking, and the sound mixing is a little off, and you can see the puppeteer's hand and that kinda thing.

That being said, the Ghost suit is really well made, the close up of his hand/glove showed some beautiful sturdy stitching, the suit looks like it was made for the long haul. (Which, considering the first episode final fight took place on Showa Beach and he got dumped in the water right off the bat, is a good thing.)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
watched some more
I cannot begin imagine how much people were losing their poo poo when the inves invaded and then poo poo got even crazier from there.
or that anyone called that the Wacky Morning DJ was actually god

it's good urobouchi series, a great superhero story, but not really so much a kamen rider series as I said. Ds9 is more star trek than gaim is kr.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 8, 2015

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Brother Entropy posted:

The Gaim/Kikaider crossover had Ryouma putting his brain in an evil robot just for shits and giggles and that alone kinda makes it all worth it

And then seemed to think he had the moral high ground to call them evil after doing that turned out to have side effects.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
KikaiderTalk

I kinda liked that and kind of hated it to be honest.

Hakaider is such an amazing character in the original Kikaider, literally single handedly saves the show from being one of the most unwatchable things I've ever seen, that I despise seeing him reduced to such a lovely role.

However

I like the subtlety that Hakaider was corrupting Ryoma and taking his mind over, because that's how Hakaider should act. Part of what made Hakaider so interesting and unique was that he had the brain of a genuinely good man, but the overriding need and desire to defeat Kikaider.

So too often that detail is either ignored or just forgotten, and Hakaider is just Evil Kikaider.

Or weird 90s Anti Hero, but you know.

Also if I haven't said it enough, and I haven't, gently caress 90% of Kikaider. Not the anime, not Kikaider 01 the live action show, not Kikaider 01 the anime (gently caress 100% of THAT mess), the original live action Kikaider. You want to bitch about Kamen Rider Black having filler? Man, at least Kamen Rider Black always had a great energy to it and generally fantastic monster designs and action scenes.

Kikaider is the most formulaic thing ever made. There are sitcoms that recycle scripts that contain more diversity from episode to episode, and they don't rely on the SINGLE MOST ANNOYING NOISE IN THE WORLD FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME nor one of the most unlikable 'comedy' characters in the history of Toku.

I love Kikaider from episodes 35 (OKay that's a lie, but it ties directly into the storyline that comes after- 35 is super symbolic of all of the worst poo poo Kikaider is guilty of and has some unique flaws all its own!) to 43.

In fact here is my super official patented Kikaider Episode Guide for everyone just to really get it out!

Episodes 1 and 2 for context of the general plot. MAYBE 3 and 4 to get a good idea of the story beats that will be driven into the ground.

And then skip all the way to Episode 35 because you will loving miss NOTHING in between. Then just finish the show and enjoy how fantastic it is and never ever watch anything before episode 35 again.

And then watch Kikaider 01 which was just one huge tokusatsu apology letter for giving us 30+ lovely episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I liked Ep 1 but in its rush to establish itself tonally,it does the actual origin story a disservice

Shoulda been a two parter

I'm still looking forward to more, the groundwork they've lain here is fairly interesting

• Locked thread