Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
I really wish we had gotten a full Inazuman anime, Kikaider vs Inazuman was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Re: Ghost episode 1.

I can't be the only one who likes his Tokusatsu just a little bit on the cheap and lovely side, can I? It adds to the charm of it, when the costumes are a bit silly and cheap looking, and the sound mixing is a little off, and you can see the puppeteer's hand and that kinda thing.

One of my favorite parts of Ryuki was watching the Ryuki suit fall apart over the course of the show. By the time he got the Survive upgrade there were literally strips hanging off the base form suit, and it had been clearly repaired with actual duct tape. After that Ryuki almost always came into the scene already transformed into Survive mode, just so they didn't have to use the original suit. And when they showed the Ryuki -> Ryuki Survive transformation, it was all done incredibly slowly, because the transformation mechanism was so stupidly designed, where you put a card in the dragon sword's lower jaw and then closed it, that if they did it quickly they'd probably just smoosh the card half the time. It was great

But at the end of the day, I watched all fifty episodes of Kamen Rider Ryuki because I cared about the characters. I don't care about the characters in Ghost.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
It's been one episode, y'all need to slow your roll.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Rent-a-Bot posted:

It's been one episode, y'all need to slow your roll.

I remember that guy who said "Gaim has just been so disappointing so far!" after its first episode.

I mean, it kind of was ultimately, but still.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Justin_Brett posted:

I remember that guy who said "Gaim has just been so disappointing so far!" after its first episode.

In all fairness, most of them were pretty bad dancers.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Justin_Brett posted:

Was that me or some one else.

Because I mostly bitched about the dancing which was objectively bad and stiff.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Burkion posted:

It really was. Team Gaim were very obviously not trained dancers, and Team Baron kicked the everloving poo poo out of them.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I mean, Baron did have this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoUSAUFbtlc

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
It is such a shame they wasted Genki Sudo on the W movie

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
the dancing was fantastic and paid off in that big dance-off thing

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It is so loving weird to see Kaito's actor smiling.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Poison Mushroom posted:

Don't watch YutaCafe.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Reds posted:

I really wish we had gotten a full Inazuman anime, Kikaider vs Inazuman was great.

Yeah it was. The only redeeming thing about the absolute waste that was Kikaider 01 the Anime.

Also, tangentially related to this thread- So in a few days I may have an exciting enough update for my toku comic project Lightning Brigade. So, you know. Cross your fingers and hope that goes well.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I kinda feel like I'm prying open scabs when gaimposting, the discussions over this show must have been pretty heated during its run. I won't be watching for a few days, but I'd like to at least air one of my questions.
I'm longposting, but more as a Gen Urobouchi fan/defender and less from the toku standpoint.

I'm not sure I entirely get Kaito and Kouta. They feel like strawmen of their respective archetypes.
Now Toku is no stranger to one-d characters, even one-d leads (this is so HOT, I'm getting FIRED up)
But Gen writes as he will no matter the assignment. Both Madoka and fate/zero had characters I could understand and get what they were feeling and doing. And that kinda sorta continues here - I'm not feeling most of the characters but most of them are interesting and pretty natural.
Kaito and Kouta are not natural.
Hell the OVERLORDS feel like more natural and nuanced characters , and I think that's my first big mark of confusion.

Kaito as the guy who wants strongness is a normal kamen rider kinda guy but I just do not feel like some even in this setting could have a past that leads them to be a guy who talks and acts like Kaito does (about strength. All. The. Time. He's worse than Worf and his Honor). I guess he fits in better once the story gets more epic in scope, though.

Kouta. What the hell is wrong with Kouta. I liked Madoka as a character. I liked lots of other friendship powered heroes. I liked Gentaro from Fourze. What makes Kouta worse? I think part of it is that he's actually pretty inconsiderate in a way that's not just bumbling, and doesn't so much overcome obstacles as finally cave to what people were trying to tell him to do all along.

But on the former... see, Madoka and Gentaro when their friends were having issues tried to understand them. Kouta when he finds out how batshit his friend is and has been, he makes up this weird narrative/assigned motivation for him and he sticks to it and so far has not learned that thing he made up is completely wrong.

Basically they're both the worst characters but at this point in the series I get the feeling that Gen knew exactly how he was writing these
characters and knew how they would come off to viewers. I'm just kinda not getting why.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Acne Rain posted:

Kaito as the guy who wants strongness is a normal kamen rider kinda guy but I just do not feel like some even in this setting could have a past that leads them to be a guy who talks and acts like Kaito does (about strength. All. The. Time. He's worse than Worf and his Honor). I guess he fits in better once the story gets more epic in scope, though.

Kouta. What the hell is wrong with Kouta. I liked Madoka as a character. I liked lots of other friendship powered heroes. I liked Gentaro from Fourze. What makes Kouta worse? I think part of it is that he's actually pretty inconsiderate in a way that's not just bumbling, and doesn't so much overcome obstacles as finally cave to what people were trying to tell him to do all along.

But on the former... see, Madoka and Gentaro when their friends were having issues tried to understand them. Kouta when he finds out how batshit his friend is and has been, he makes up this weird narrative/assigned motivation for him and he sticks to it and so far has not learned that thing he made up is completely wrong.

Basically they're both the worst characters but at this point in the series I get the feeling that Gen knew exactly how he was writing these
characters and knew how they would come off to viewers. I'm just kinda not getting why.
If it helps, it takes Kouta like three times learning that lesson for it to actually stick. You may have seen some conversation in the thread about how there was a perfect episode for him to get his final upgrade... like four episodes after he actually gets it. That episode is where it sticks for good. In the mean time, you're better off thinking of Kouta as a naive idiot who literally can't consider the possibility that his friends might be bad people, or his whole worldview collapses.

Kaito, meanwhile is too busy being a Chaos Hero from the Shin Megami Tensei series to care about things like "logic". He does get better, though you have to read between the lines on his actions in the last quarter of the series to really get why and how. He's playing the 'create a world where people like me won't need or even be able to exist' long con.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, I was serious when I said Kouta spins his wheels.

And I was talking specifically about his character development. The guy is basically in fifth gear all the time but his tires aren't even touching the ground.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think I still have Drive on the brain.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The thing about Kaito is that what he says and what he does are constantly contradicting each other and as he proves by the very end, on purpouse, which can make him look weird at a glance. If you take what he says at face value, he's a dick who only cares about STRENGTH and POWER. If you take his actions into account, he's got a very strong sense of honour, a lot of charisma (I'd go as far as saying that he's the only Rider in Gaim who actually shows proper leadership), and is pretty respectful towards those he thinks deserve it, and this doesn't even mean people who can fight (see: the little kid at his introduction and Mai).

Kouta is just bad though. He's pretty unlikable. Even as the pure good guy of the Riders he fails, Zack does the job far better.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Burkion posted:

Somebody else I think. I seem to remember it being a general statement on quality rather than on the dancing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Even as the pure good guy of the Riders he fails, Zack does the job far better.
Zach could have carried a whole series by himself. He'd make a better main character than Kouta, at least.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Kouta is just

The moment that I thought OKAY, HE'S A KAMEN RIDER NOW, gently caress YEAH was when he got the shogun armor and over his having killed his best friend ever thing and it was great and Takatora you just hosed up man you pushed him to his lowest so he could rise up and

oh, no, we're just going to keep doing this? And he's never going to really learn his lesson?

Oh

Good.

Funtastic.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Burkion posted:

Kouta is just

The moment that I thought OKAY, HE'S A KAMEN RIDER NOW, gently caress YEAH was when he got the shogun armor and over his having killed his best friend ever thing and it was great and Takatora you just hosed up man you pushed him to his lowest so he could rise up and

oh, no, we're just going to keep doing this? And he's never going to really learn his lesson?

Oh

Good.

Funtastic.

What did you think about Kamen Rider 1 declaring him and Kaito Kamen Riders in one of the movies? I feel like your perspective on it is super different from mine.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stallion Cabana posted:

What did you think about Kamen Rider 1 declaring him and Kaito Kamen Riders in one of the movies? I feel like your perspective on it is super different from mine.

I haven't seen the movie yet honestly. I kind of don't want to. It's just a lot of pointless toy smashing and betrays the characters of everyone involved so utterly.

Kamen Rider Ichigo wouldn't give a poo poo if they were Kamen Riders or not. That's not a badge of honor you earn, it's a burden you bear. Even ignoring how wildly out of character he is

Amazon fighting other Riders?

For Fucks Sakes, that's the *ONE* thing Decade got right about Amazon. Amazon is the most pure hearted, nicest, and friendliest Kamen Rider in the entire world. Fourze wishes he was as friendmaking.

That entire movie is just...not something I like to think about.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the thing a/b kouta is that he's a very passive character in a more serialized KR series where all the other important characters are trying to actively advance their plots

so a solely reactive hero with no real concrete goals stands out more than in other shows where the villains doing plenty of their own wheel-spinning

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Poison Mushroom posted:

He was almost Captain Marvelous, too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Kouta's problem was that he fundamentally didn't trust people enough to confide in them. So, he did the lone tormented hero thing for most of the show when he really didn't have to. He was willing to cooperate during fights, but the idea of letting anyone know what was bothering him never really came up. And man, did Kouta ever have a lot of stuff bothering him.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Serious Frolicking posted:

Kouta's problem was that he fundamentally didn't trust people enough to confide in them. So, he did the lone tormented hero thing for most of the show when he really didn't have to. He was willing to cooperate during fights, but the idea of letting anyone know what was bothering him never really came up. And man, did Kouta ever have a lot of stuff bothering him.

A lot of Kouta's bullshit stemmed from a weird lone martyr complex, which I can't decide whether it's paternalistic or self-deprecating in nature. Either he feels the need to protect people from hurtful truths that he feels they shouldn't need to know, or he doesn't want to make a fuss and bother everybody. He's so wishy-washy about it that it's hard to tell which one it is.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That comes down to a lack of trust. Protecting people from harsh truths means you don't believe they can handle it. Not wanting to make a fuss means you don't believe they would want to know and would be willing to help. Plus, he was just plain wrong about his supposed friends. Micchy and all of his bullshit aside, everyone else stepped up and came together when the world went to poo poo. If they could handle a looming apocalypse they could have handled knowing all the stuff Kouta kept secret.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

Watch the Gaim Gaidens. You get to see him smiling and having fun

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
So, when can we start ripping poo poo up on Drive?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

As soon as it stops being the best KR since W.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Tomari was just boring. There was nothing really wrong with him, but there wasn't really anything good about him either.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I can already say that Drive is my absolute favorite of the neo hesei kamen riders. Yes, I've seen them all but Wizard and Gaim. I've been watching these for a year or more, just not posting about them.
I hold Drive to a different standard than Gaim. Gaim's big deal was being a Gen Urobouchi show. However, Drive surpassed my standards big time.
It may not be innovating the show that much or do much different but everything it did was superb.
I do like Gaim so far, and I'd probably rank it pretty high on audacity alone. But as a Gen show it does not beat out Madoka or fate/zero just yet.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Serious Frolicking posted:

Tomari was just boring. There was nothing really wrong with him, but there wasn't really anything good about him either.

bullshit

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I actually really liked Kaito because he took an interesting stance on his philosophy. He's very much a "Survival of the Fittest" kind of guy, but the difference is that unlike a lot of other characters like that Kaito sees himself as weak. His view of the world isn't born out of a desire to justify his standing or excuse him being a jerk like a lot of similar characters, Kaito really does believe that life sucks for the weak and he's constantly trying to drag himself into the echelons of the powerful. It wasn't out of left field when he took the stance he did in the finale, Kaito really seems to hate his own worldview and he hates his lot in life.

As for Kouta I actually liked him, to me Kouta was a good fulcrum point for the show.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

I actually really liked Kaito because he took an interesting stance on his philosophy. He's very much a "Survival of the Fittest" kind of guy, but the difference is that unlike a lot of other characters like that Kaito sees himself as weak. His view of the world isn't born out of a desire to justify his standing or excuse him being a jerk like a lot of similar characters, Kaito really does believe that life sucks for the weak and he's constantly trying to drag himself into the echelons of the powerful. It wasn't out of left field when he took the stance he did in the finale, Kaito really seems to hate his own worldview and he hates his lot in life.

As for Kouta I actually liked him, to me Kouta was a good fulcrum point for the show.

The Gaim Gaiden showed a bit more about his roots and reinforces the "Kaito thinks that he, himself, is weak" idea. After his father sold the factory, he basically became a drunk (whether it was due to the loss of the factory or the suitcase full of money or both is left vague) and abused him and his mother and drove her to suicide by overdose. Kaito's father in turn does the same, but by hanging.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Burkion posted:

I noticed that some of the voices got REALLY weird- I swear the little "i'm dying' speech came from another person and not the main character, and I could have sworn the old man's voice randomly changed part way through as well

I noticed the old man's voice sounded completely different while he was saying some lines but I just thought that was some sort of dumb character quirk, it being awful sound mixing makes way more sense.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

For people like me who have seen no toku at all outside of Power Rangers when you're a kid, if you're wondering what to watch, watch Gokaiger

It's cool and good, and they are space pirates (which is awesome) who can transform into all the other Power Rangers (which is awesome).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Xelkelvos posted:

The Gaim Gaiden showed a bit more about his roots and reinforces the "Kaito thinks that he, himself, is weak" idea. After his father sold the factory, he basically became a drunk (whether it was due to the loss of the factory or the suitcase full of money or both is left vague) and abused him and his mother and drove her to suicide by overdose. Kaito's father in turn does the same, but by hanging.

wow that's dark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

wow that's dark

It's also super jarring in an episode that's essentially a variation on The Prince and the Pauper story with happy-go-lucky SE Asian rich boy Kaito switching places with the Kaito we all know and love

• Locked thread