Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

NotALizardman posted:

And yeah, Mr. Belt owned.
He made it a really Nice Drive. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

I like the theory that it's almost certainly going to be for one of the movies.

It would be pretty well in line with the TaMaShii combo from the OOO Den-O All Riders movie.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

I'd laugh if they really do take a Journey to the West character. Anyways I found whats her name's eeking and ooohing while being carried around to be hilarious this episode. Other than that, "Ghost please be good" is sounding like a more desperate plea than ever now. I was okay with the first episode but hope that we get an outright good one from episode 3.

Oh geez... um. Not sure how to tell you this.

I haven't been able to watch Ghost yet, but I'm hype to give it a try and I can't wait to see which Eyecons get forms in the show proper.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I don't want to wait 6+ months for RiderBeard.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Burkion posted:

I do wonder what sets Ultraman apart as a franchise from Kamen Rider and Super Sentai- Kamen Rider has, in the past, attempted similar things to what Ultraman has done but it's never really stuck.

Especially when the current Ultraman shows are pretty well as toyetic as any Rider gimmick.

It's hard to say. Personally, I got into Kamen Rider because I was really enjoying Gokaiger and wanted more Toku in my life and there wasn't a currently running Ultraman series at the time. (Or at least it wasn't being subbed by OT so I didn't know.) It is definitely weird how incredibly popular it is and yet also relatively ignored among western Toku fan groups.

I've wanted to try some Ultraman in the past, and I probably will watch Mebius or Ginga (not to enjoy it but to watch it straight through to X because I like doing things in order) once I have a little more free time.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Acne Rain posted:

My own suspicion is that the show will get interesting when around episode 20 to 30 ghost gets all the eyecons, but gramps does a heel turn.

Former is just continuing what seemed to be a trend when I was watching other recent series, latter is a shot in the dark I feel fairly confident about.

I agree with your theory. There's no way the Sage is just going around resurrecting and giving people super powers with nothing to gain from it. It'll help once we find out how the other two riders got their powers, I wouldn't be surprised if they're all coming from Sage. Perhaps Sinister Man and Poor Dental Hygiene Crony are responsible for Necrom, since his name sounds more evil, but that one's a long way off.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah, between the wirework and the daintiest little Rider Kick ever in Episode 1's Omega Drive, there've been some less than badass Ghost moments.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

All I want is a BeetBuster reference. I love that man.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'm closing in on the end of Agito myself, just 4 episodes away, and I've really enjoyed it so far. The story's been pretty interesting and engaging throughout, it actually did Amnesia pretty well and satisfyingly in my opinion, and it's had some of the best civilian scenes. Nobody's Ichijou level, of course, but Ozawa and Hojo are great and I love all the eating and talking scenes. Compared to modern riders where episodes can sometimes be too packed with fights and gags to slow down like that, it's pretty refreshing to have as much or more drama than punchy fights. The scenes with Kaoru Kino and his death without fanfare or funeral scenes or declarations of vengeance or anything were unexpected for me, but I liked them too.

I agree with its fight issues though. The majority of them end super abruptly. Maybe they should have sprung for longer songs to time the finishers to. DEEP BREATH! :v:

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 28, 2015

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

"Akiko is funny and I like when she hits Shotaro with the slipper." - my little brother, a member of the target audience

That said, I genuinely like Akiko, especially in her interactions with Ryu in the Accel movie. She's cute and funny and makes some fantastic faces, and she owns in the dream episode. I would've liked her to become a bit more Chief-like, but she's cool whenever she takes initiative and I still liked her plenty.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'm not generally a big fan of the SIC series, but SIC Gaim looks incredibly cool.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

First Gobusters, now ToQger. It's a drat shame. There's almost no way an animal sentai like Juuouger won't be adaptable, but I almost hope it will be just to spite them. :colbert:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Super Sentai makes kids dream big dreams. I dream of a functional and reliable public transportation system.

i can see it. my final stop. 2 hours from now. :smith:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

Just imagine the cacophony that comes from turning into OrangeTigerCyclone States, Type Speed.

Final Form Ride: A-A-A-Abomination!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I still haven't watched Gavan or Sharivan yet, but is the Shaider movie good? I'll watch it eventually either way, just for Iwanaga, but it'd be good to know if I should look forward to it or not.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

So I decided to download Kamen Rider Storm Heroes during finals week. Boy that was a mistake! I don't care for these gacha games most of the time, but this one's kind of fun. Anyone else tried it?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Eagle, Shark, Lion!

Eagle, Shark, Lion!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Is that Duel Disk?

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who saw a slate of Yu-Gi-Oh cards in that blurry mess.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I loved ToQger and enjoy Ninninger, but man that robot had better have a neat gimmick to make up for the underwhelming design. I'm not entirely opposed to cubes and the Minecraft style, it just seems pretty plain from the views we have so far.

The suits I mostly like, but I agree that the animal faces are way too graphic-tee quality. I'd have preferred something more stylized.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

There are very few suits I dislike, but I think GoBusters were definitely my favorite. Just stylish as gently caress, and super different than what had come before.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

Honestly I have a harder time thinking of designs I don't like than ones I do
Same. The only suits I can think of off hand that I genuinely don't like are Miss America (weird looking) and... Actually, that's it.

Burkion posted:

Kamen Rider V3 has one of the ugliest designs I've ever seen and I can't get behind it at all and he's my favorite Rider.

Masked Rider Warrior Commander looks awesome.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Beast was a legitimately fun and cool character/rider, and his antics occasionally pulled some personality out of Haruto, so he is double good.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Dexie posted:

Ghost was pretty good this week and we finally have some PLOT happening for the villains.

Yeah I'm really enjoying Ghost now.

I'm an especially big fan of Specter. He's just so goddamn angry all the time.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Acne Rain posted:

At least Yurasen remains pure. He wants eyeballs because he's just a greedy lil eyemonster, and also the Best Character.
Yurusen is a close second for me after Kamen Rider Anger, but I do like Expired Ticket very much.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The OP lists Go-Anonger as a sub group but it seems like their blog is down. Are their episodes still available anywhere, or is TVN back to the only option for watching it?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I guess after "Symbol Power" in Samurai I should have seen "Throwing Stars" coming but man does that term sound dumb.

EDIT: Also are they going to address why one of the throwing stars is in a cheeseburger?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

jivjov posted:

Ninninger has just really been a wet fart of a season for me. We're, what, 2 or 3 episodes from the end and it FINALLY feels like plot has been happening for the last handful.

Yeah. I'm a diehard Sentai apologist for even the lamest seasons and it drives me crazy how far in we are and how little has happened.

I think Ghost starting and getting so drat good in the second half of its mere 13 episodes has really made that stand out.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

CUBE HUUUUUMAAAAAAAN!
*giant cube unfolds into Shinobimaru*

Nin nin nin! Nin nin nin nin! Nin nin nin! Nin nin nin nin! NINGEN!

Translator's Note: Ningen means human.

fuckin' takaharu

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

Even as someone who kind of enjoyed Wizard (don't ask me why, I'm not sure either): don't watch Wizard, it's bad in an objective sense. Also, if you're going to watch Agito, watch Kuuga first because A.) they're sort of connected and B.) Kuuga is the best.

Seconding this. Kuuga and Agito together are just a fantastic run, highly recommended. Double and Fourze are my favorites because I'm a kid at heart, but these two are really special.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

Never has any goon saying "I would have done the same" reassured anyone, ever, but thanks anyway.

What about two goons? I ordered a Super Best Double Driver shortly after finishing the series as well, and it was actually more expensive back then than it is now. It was just something I had to own, it's too loving cool. :D

I also took it further and cosplayed Shotaro... So, uh, at least you're still at "merch" level?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Nah, I've never been to NYC. I've run into a few Shotaros and one Philip in the handful of Cons I've been to though, it always makes me happy to see someone cosplaying a Rider or a non-Zyuranger Sentai. (Nothing wrong with Zyuranger, it's just super common.)

EDIT: Also Fang is sold separately so unless you sprung for that, Sonic is gonna be locked out. :(

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

After a long and busy move I finally caught up on weekly episodes, which means I'm now delving into old movies I've missed, starting with the Gaim Soccer movie. That was pretty silly, but man I forgot from the opening song previews that the long-promised Gaim Horse Battle was hidden away in there.

Also, I think the "Kyu" in "Kyuranger" comes from the "Kyu" in "Chikyu," Earth. I don't think that Kyu is in the other planet names, but it'd make sense enough for a Sentai series.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

I really should not have named specific examples.

True. I think every suit has at least one fan.

Maybe not Meteor Storm. Does anybody like Meteor Storm?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Old toku is the best Toku. Forget all this Zyuoger and Exaid stuff, with their pixels and minecrafts and all that stuff, gimme old lovely practical effects and Hiroshi Miyauchi in every possible role!

Never!! I won't deny how good the old stuff is, but I can't say enough good things about Zyuohger. I love that bunch of dorks. Misao started off a bit annoying but I'm really loving how he's developing, the new episode was really funny.

EDIT: I also watched episode 1 of Ex-Aid! It definitely had its issues- I'll echo the bad meatball CGI monster, I don't think "Level-1" is necessary at all and I don't care for the suit or what they do with it, and the early forced slapstick + Asuna's costume change fell flat and was grating respectively. Outside those negatives, I really liked it! Emu has potential and some personality, and ExAid has style and some really great effects. Can't wait to see how they work the multiple riders angle and what the real deal is with the Bugsters.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 6, 2016

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Looks like Bugster Genm uses the "Dangerous Zombie" Gashat. That's pretty great.

Also yeah they're all ridiculous looking and I can't wait to see them in action. Brave's debut really sold how cool and stylized the Riders are this season, IMO. I'm also loving the humor in the series. While the slapstick tends to fall flat, some of the character moments have been great, Brave's "There's nothing I can't cut" to the apple pie in particular.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ex-Aid is a lot of fun as a show but god drat is its theme song top notch. Full version onegaishimasu.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

Seriously, I want the full version of Excite ASAP. I gotta believe it will come out soon.

I don't wanna know how long 'soon' is. :( But til then it just keeps on looping on my PC or in my head.

Also, goddamn, is [Kamen Rider Heisei Generations: Dr. Pac-Man Versus Ex-Aid and Ghost with Legend Riders] the longest movie title ever? I love it but it is a mouthful.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Justin_Brett posted:

This week the Zyuohgers fought and killed a monster that was literally just Carnival Mode from Kyoryuger.

I love Zyuohger, guys.

It really is just an absurdly enjoyable show.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Has anyone caught the first Super Doubutsu Taisen special yet? It's only available through TVN at the moment, but I watched it on a whim and it's actually really funny. Plus the ending foreshadows an amazing second part.

If anything it's worth it just for this exchange-

Sela: "If there's an AkaRed, then there must be an AoBlue!"
AkaRed: "No! There is no AoBlue. It's AkaBlue!"
Zyuohgers: "..."

Jealoushitto is great as always, though man is his suit getting rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Poppy is pure sugar and over-done idol nonsense, but she grew on me a lot after watching the Poppy's Room specials on TVN. She's still not much of a character but she's really cute.

• Locked thread