Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well that OP certainly isn't OP if you know what I mean.

Remember to disregard Literally the Worst's opinion on Ninninger which is turning out to be surprisingly good, certainly better than last year's dreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Stallion Cabana posted:

Ninninger is literally in a constant life or death struggle to be mediocre at all times. ToQger was at least mostly better.

ToQger a poop.

I like that Ninninger really seems to be not so much about the red ranger as it is a commentary on what the red ranger's role in a series is. I feel like most people don't get that. They hear the food analogy and focus in on the fact that red/the meat is the best part, not the fact that the soup is better when you have the other rangers/ingredients in there too.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Blaze Dragon posted:

So you only focus on what the series says and not what the series does? Pretty bad way to watch.

Like, yes, the series said that. It then proceeded to ignore it entirely and focus entirely on how much better Takaharu is than everyone else. The Gabi Raizou defeat happened after that. Chouzetsu happened after that, and holy poo poo the episode where Yakkun and Kinji manage to cleverly beat a trap made out of their fear of not standing up to Takaharu, and then decide to just let Takaharu get the glory anyways happened after that. Not to mention how since they got Transcendent it's been nearly always used by Takaharu and Takaharu alone despite being usable by the entire cast, and he consistently gets the finishing blow on every monster despite the episodes focusing on others.

Gabi Raizou was Takaharu's villain. It makes sense that he kill him, just like how Alata killed the mantis guy in Goseiger or Ryu killed Jin in Dairanger. Them giving the red a special power up isn't unique either and its not going to be his forever. Red is the main character and the show will always be that way, but it also always has been that way too. We had two shows in a row that were about red to the extent that the other rangers got jipped out of plot points and that sucked but Ninninger has been different. Note the difference here, Nininger and the two examples I listed had red go up solo against a side villain, Kyouryu and (I think) ToQ had him take out the main enemy by himself. They've gone to great lengths to keep Pink and Gold as credible alternatives as Last Ninja, you'd never have seen them saying that other characters were possibly better at something than Daigo in Kyouryu or Right in ToQ.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Poison Mushroom posted:

Don't they do the first episode as a matter of course before deciding?

They, or a "separate group" of practically the same people, have yet to miss a KR. I don't think they've missed a sentai since Goseiger either.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Poison Mushroom posted:

This, unironically.

ToQ is kind of divisive, and I've heard Ninnin has some pretty good episodes and some really bad ones, so :shrug:

Divisive? Opinions range from "total garbage" to "it was okay." Easily the most hated series since Go-Onger. Yes, even Goseiger has more fans.

I won't talk about Ninninger since I already did that last page but if you do watch it beware, the acting in the first few episodes is really bad. Fortunately everyone but Takaharu's acting improves as the show goes on.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Xelkelvos posted:

Should've been Tesla :colbert: even if people in Japan probably don't know much about Tesla other than it's an electric car.

I predicted that cringe-worthy manchildren would be going "what about Tesla" as soon as I saw the Edison thing. Not surprised in the least that two people would bring it up shortly after airing.

As to the rest? The belt looks awful, its bulky and looks like it will be obnoxious. Not really a fan of the little ghost puppet character either. I find the idea that someone who appears to be studying to be a monk would have that ridiculous pretty boy haircut to be, well, ridiculous. Still, there seems like there's some stuff for me to enjoy in the show and I plan to keep on watching. I like the look of the base, I think the ghost aspect, if they actually bother to keep it going, looks interesting and none of the actors has been awful so far (MC is the worst of them but I hesitate to call him anything other than mediocre.)

Of course it is a first episode and who knows how the show will actually turn out.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Serious Frolicking posted:

I guess they ran out of actual historical figures already. Understandable, as it isn't like there are a whole lot of notable dead people to draw from.

The 4th eyecon will be goku.

I'd laugh if they really do take a Journey to the West character. Anyways I found whats her name's eeking and ooohing while being carried around to be hilarious this episode. Other than that, "Ghost please be good" is sounding like a more desperate plea than ever now. I was okay with the first episode but hope that we get an outright good one from episode 3.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I've been slacking and only just now watched last week's Nininjer. Did they really forget to edit out the rope pink was swinging on at 7:30 or was that supposed to be left in?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So after taking a six or so month break I have finally caught up. Three things that stuck out to me that nobody in this thread bothered to mention.

Ninnin wasn't nearly as bad as everyone was saying. Not great or even really good but a much better show, and less red-centric, than ToQger at least.

That said, Takaharu's actor had some absolutely disgusting zits on his face that makeup just couldn't hide. Wanted to go at him with two nickels half the time....

You guys make furry jokes but as animals in human bodies these are clearly actually otherkin.

Also yeah, Zyuohger is great so far. I love that Leo is basically everything people don't like about recent red rangers' personalities but in the form of a male yellow he suddenly becomes downright likable.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Yeah, TOQ was all about Red and the villains, the rest might as well not even have been there. The whole point to things like that people as food episode was that red is better when there's other rangers with him.

And the show hammered home how great Right was a ton when they brought in the main villain who couldn't shut up about how sparkly he was.

Yeah, the original Kamen Rider was portrayed by someone who actually rode a motorcycle in real life, at this point bikes are clearly just included as part of the tradition. Toei would probably do away with them if they could.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It is weird, because they put a lot of work into the Gobusters bots and making sure they weren't all clusterfucks. Are you sure you aren't confusing it with some other series?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

deadly_pudding posted:

ToQ's 6th was better, imo. I liked the concept of Star Ninjer a lot, but in execution he didn't quite pay off on all the "weirdo cowboy tourist from America" shenanigans I was expecting.

ToQ's 6th ranger and villains were better and the plot had a little more depth (though they did a poor job of making it interesting) but thats it. They had worse robots, worse CGI, worse suits, a worse gimmick, worse rangers, worse supporting cast and, and I know this will be an unpopular one, worse mook suits. Sorry guys, the Crows looked dumb.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Depending on what you mean by main zord Go-Onger took awhile too. They had the three combiner but took a few episodes to hook all five up, or did they need Carrygator for that?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Can you really say that 4 and 5 weren't starting members of Go-onger? They were there from episode one and got the suits by episode three or so.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

SKY COQ posted:

Yeah but like

It was bad

It might have been bad but at least it was better than the thing it replaced. I'm another one of those people who wished that the Gokai Galleon formed the robot by itself, for what its worth. Come to think of it, I doubt many people who weren't into the toys felt differently.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
He got more than the other Ninninjers put together but not all that much more. If anything I'd say that all of the ToQgers got shafted, they felt more like guest stars in a Ninninjer episode than an equal part of the movie, most of their supporting cast didn't even show up.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

boom boom boom posted:

I just saw the Zyuohger suits. They look cool. Is the show any good?

Its obviously too early to say how the whole show will be but at this point to me its clearly the best since Gokaiger. I was honestly getting ready to give up on sentai but this has me hooked.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

boom boom boom posted:

I just heard about Kamen Rider Amazons. It spun out of a movie, right? Should I watch the movie first or dive right in to Amazons?

It spun out of a thirty year old tv show. You should definitely watch said show on its own merits but from what I've heard its not necessarily necessary.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'll never understand what Toei was trying with Kinji. He's an American...with a Japanese name, whose family have Japanese names, who very clearly can't speak a single word in English but has perfect Japanese...

He was just as half-assed as the rest of the show.

Kids don't know what proper English sounds like and there are plenty of Americans who's first and last names are Japanese. His Japanese was also like goofy old movie speak instead of normal Japanese, O-T just didn't bother translating it that way most of the time because that would be super annoying to read.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well, I did it, I finally watched episode 31 of Liveman (you know the one.) Gotta say, I knew the premise going in but even then it was a little weird. Like beyond normal sentai weird.

edit: Watching ep 32 now and a little train full of children is randomly in the background of one scene, waving at the camera. Guess they filmed in an amusement park! Also kid butts, that wouldn't fly on tv these days.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 23, 2016

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I think that a "Kamen Rider" type show could easily survive in the US, at least for a few years. Just not the type of stuff that Toei is currently airing, with the overly talkative belts and questionable suit design changes. I honestly think a show with more MotW seventies style plot beats would do better.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

boom boom boom posted:

That's why you'd have to remake it, and sand down the toyetic aspects. A lot of the seasons of Kamen Rider have really strong stories and characters that would be great in an adult TV show.

I don't think W would actually work that well because if you take away the Gaia Memories, the form changes, and the monsters of the fortnight, get down to just the skeleton of character and plot, there's not a lot left. It's good stuff, but it's good stuff to hang a fun monster of the week kids show over. one of the earlier Heisei shows would be better, or maybe Gaim, because they've got more going on.

When you put it like that it could work. Except that when you "sand down the toyetic aspects" and "monsters of the fortnight" all you have is a generic superhero and a few bad guys. Could it work? Obviously, but only because its so drat vague. In that sense you might as well say that pretty much anything from Japanese kids shows could work. Pokemon could totally work guys, just make them adults and have Team Rocket be more menacing! Hamtaro could totally work guys, look how well The Smurfs has done!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Closest thing to toku I've watched is the Aquabats Super Show because, hey, it practically is toku. How did that do anyway, I wandered off before season two started and never heard of it again.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

boom boom boom posted:

That's just wrong. Kabuto has the basic alien body snatchers plot, and strong characters that each have their own arc across the course of the series. It got a loving secret sister surprise, for crying out loud. Making it so that Kabuto doesn't plug all the other Zecters together into one giant sword doesn't change that

edit: what Kamen Riders have you seen that make you think it's just a dude fighting monsters in between form changes? Just Fourze?

Kuuga, Agito, Ryuuki, W, OOO, Fourze, Wizard, first few episodes of Ghost. I like parts of most of those shows, but most of it really is just plots of the week and toy pushing. The plot of Fourze was basically only set up in the last quarter, OOO's was explained in the first five or so episodes and after that it was just getting to the end. Ryuuki was a combo of the two. I watched the CAP subs of Kuuga and can thus barely describe the plot and Wizard basically didn't have one. Agito and W both did a good job of the pacing, and both seem a lot more suited for a western remake than the others listed here.

But its like I said at the very beginning of this discussion, strip too much of this stuff out and it ceases to really be a possible Kamen Rider adaptation. Like you guys want to strip out the toy crap? Thats great, but that means not reusing the fight footage for like the last half or more of the show. And KR has a lot more side characters appearing in the backgrounds of fight scenes, so that footage would have to be used more selectively too. Making KR work over here would be hard. Its like someone here said earlier, there's parts of it that are just too insulting to this country's audience (toy ad collectable parts) while simultaneously others are also clearly too adult for daytime Nick. Its just "cultural differences" about what does and does not fly.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

boom boom boom posted:

We're talking about an actual total remake, not a Power Rangers deal. So it would use none of the footage from the original

Why do you think we are? The conversation started with someone noting that they could only get four of the Black RX suits to use on the original show and that KRDK was a failure.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

boom boom boom posted:

The conversation changed, bro, keep up

To something utterly farcical? They're just going to green light an expensive production on a show with no clear audience because what, the director really likes KR and networks are throwing money around on whatever? That stuff is expensive to make, there's a reason Saban and Disney recycle footage and even then there've been a few failures.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
GoGoV is done but I don't know if Imagination Station is actually a competent group or not. Did that get decided in the half year or so where I wasn't paying attention.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Some Numbers posted:

And Young Justice.

And the old serials, and the non-DC Henson (Sesame Street?) shorts, and the also non-Canon J-Men Forever usage. Actually, probably the most Kamen Rider part of Blue Beetle, other than the insect connection of course, has been the semi-regular re-imagination of the character and his powers.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Literally The Worst posted:

ah yes, those, of course, who could forget them

Those are probably actually Blue Beetle at his most successful. You do like Showa riders, don't you?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The Showa era!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Sorry, that suit still looks awful.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
You guys might be saying Ironman but honestly the strongest vibe I get from the suit is Transformers movie. Like the non-emphasized parts, the legs and belly and such, look like the "generic tech" parts that held together the recognizable car parts of the transformers.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Those are literally the only distinct elements of the classic suit though you dolt

In the interest of actual discussion, how would you folks who don't like the suits redesign them for a modern reboot movie

Make them look like they always did, maybe use a different material than Spandex and definitely find a better way to hide the seams. Maybe tone down the color brightness, like in the early 2000s Superman movie but thats it. The audience is familiar with the material, they know what the suits look like. Even if you do want to keep the over-designed bullshit they'd have been better off using three of the chest diamonds instead of just one. I don't think that only having one is close enough in peoples minds to pop out as an original Power Rangers thing.

edit: And maybe do something about the silver lips, those were always pretty tacky...

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 28, 2016

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I suppose you are one of those people who wants Ironman's mask to smile or grunt when he's doing stuff too, aren't you.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Honestly, that doesn't sound particularly interesting or great.

Also I'm one of those weirdos who'd rather wait for a comic to get years in and then read a big run of thirty or so than have to follow a very young monthly so ehhh.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Really you should all be reading Power Rangers Pink because it's a sweet story about Kimberly going fuckin Hawkeye on fools and getting a dope new costume

Why would you ever want a new costume?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
A quick google search reveals that it is, indeed, not as good as the original. It feels too "modern day corporate" like new sports logos that have a lot of color gradients.
Least favorite part? The black boots with pink laces, which look kind of trashy, are a strong contender but I have to give it instead to the stripes on the side of her pants.

edit: And the one part of the original costume that I wasn't a fan of, the overly large amount of white on the sides of her helmet, is both a lot more noticeable in comic book form and makes it through to the new design, so thats a bit of a shame too.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 5, 2016

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Man, its only been a day and OT has already released the Zyuohger subs. They must be loving this season as much as I to be going so quick.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I didn't like Fourze but we've been over this so many times that it doesn't really matter anymore. Watch whatever you want to try (except Wizard) and if it gets to be too bad switch to something else or give up on Rider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Just caught up on Ghost after dropping it at episode 7. How did it turn from being so bland and generic into being so good? Hell, it feels like we're in the final stretch already but there's still a third of the show left to go.

• Locked thread