Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Gaim and Drive were both worth watching. Though, Gaim's ending sucked and Drive's ending was the best part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Kuuga also had a great ending.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Mc of ghost is kind of a weiner, but probably that won't last.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is kind of funny how like half the cast's role in drive is to get Tomari out of his funks after Kouta spent most of his show in one for one reason or another. Dude just had no one to confide in most of the time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, I like the visual effects a lot. I'm not so sure about the two people so dedicated to their gimmicks that they completely forgot their friend had just died, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I do think it is neat how they aren't limiting themselves to japanese luminaries. Like sure, Edison was a huge jerk, but his inclusion is better than the usual trip up the rear end of japanese history.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Kouta's problem was that he fundamentally didn't trust people enough to confide in them. So, he did the lone tormented hero thing for most of the show when he really didn't have to. He was willing to cooperate during fights, but the idea of letting anyone know what was bothering him never really came up. And man, did Kouta ever have a lot of stuff bothering him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That comes down to a lack of trust. Protecting people from harsh truths means you don't believe they can handle it. Not wanting to make a fuss means you don't believe they would want to know and would be willing to help. Plus, he was just plain wrong about his supposed friends. Micchy and all of his bullshit aside, everyone else stepped up and came together when the world went to poo poo. If they could handle a looming apocalypse they could have handled knowing all the stuff Kouta kept secret.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Tomari was just boring. There was nothing really wrong with him, but there wasn't really anything good about him either.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is gonna be great when during the next big crossover movie heart shows up in a crowd of other random monsters completely unmentioned.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

If the next Movie Wars has a bit where Lord Baron and Heart team up to fight the bad guys it will instantly become a 10/10 movie for me.

Too bad, it will be all about a new secret rider who is the strongest ever, even stronger than the previous 5 or so secret riders who were also the strongest ever. None of the participants in the big brawl scene will actually get lines.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It would be stranger if a new season of garo wasn't completely awful, at this point.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

I'd heard at least lukewarm things about the first anime series. At least it doesn't get the drubbing that GARO 3 and 5 have earned.

Lukewarm is about right. For the minute or so of a horse surfing on a giant sword you have to deal with a whole lot of tedium.

Except s1 of the garo anime, because that show was amazing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

Those drat hemmoroids!

Hey, Genpachi had his memory hosed with and still managed to investigate properly. All that early comic relief stuff was actually him being an absolutely amazing detective.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I guess they ran out of actual historical figures already. Understandable, as it isn't like there are a whole lot of notable dead people to draw from.

The 4th eyecon will be goku.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Having Ghost get a bunch of international (and fictional) dead dudes while the sidekick gets exclusively japanese dead dudes would be neat.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Oh geez... um. Not sure how to tell you this.

I haven't been able to watch Ghost yet, but I'm hype to give it a try and I can't wait to see which Eyecons get forms in the show proper.

I was obviously joking, so you shouldn't have warped reality to make that real.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Just wait a couple months and then catch up if it isn't doing it for you. For me, KR shows are better in big batches.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ooh, it would sure be neat if later on the ganma somehow included the enemies of ghost's ghosts. But that would require someone other than sperglords to know and care that tesla ever existed, so I don't think it is very likely.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Larryb posted:

Also, based on summaries I've seen it looks like this Movie Wars will be more akin to a Sentai VS movie (as in, one continuous story involving both riders) rather than the 3 act structure of past movies.

Good. The 3 act movies are all completely poo poo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
After V is profoundly unfunny. Like, I appreciate what they are going for, but it all just falls so flat.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Boy howdy, episode 3 of ghost was a mess. First, Akari only managed to be useful via recreating Takeru's dad's work, and even then she was stuck until the sage helped her out. So really, her only contribution was putting together a confetti sprayer. Then there is the weirdness of how directly following the inspiration of robin hood to steal and redistribute wealth (is receiving stolen goods not a crime in japan?) was horrible and wrong. Afterward, she decided to do the exact opposite as her public domain role model with her non-existent journalism career (have fun with that felony conviction!), which then caused the eyecon to appear. Like, I don't care that they are weird and inaccurate about robin hood, and I don't really see why anyone else would either. But the whole "stealing is wrong no matter what but we will still call a thief heroic" was just sloppy writing. It is a show for kids, so I get why they couldn't condone theft, but in that case why use robin hood to begin with? It is like if at the end of the first episode, Takeru made a speech about how killing 100 people with swords is really bad and he doesn't condone that sort of behavior.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Stallion Cabana posted:

I mean, it didn't rip it exactly. The buildings and effects are different. It looks like it was just the extras that are the same.

Yes, just the exact same people in the exact same places wearing the exact same clothing. It was clearly a painstaking reproduction and not recycled footage.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Akiko performed a vital role in dragging away Philip's body all the time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

V-Men posted:

I hated her interactions with Ryu in the Accel movie, but mainly because it was incredibly demeaning to the relationship they built up during the series.

He basically waited on her hand and foot while she went into hysterics at every opportunity. It was not a very healthy marriage.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Is blade any good, then?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, if your world needs saving 4 black supermen and yamaxun seem like they could handle it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

You've had the best storage solution all along. It's right behind your genitals and taint.

All of them. At once.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Huh, there are a bunch of rider shows I haven't seen, but a cowardly lead is new to me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh, it is perfectly understandable for him to give up fighting the dude who consistently and effortlessly beats his rear end. But he ran away without the eyecon, even though it was the one he had an emotional connection with. Takeru's catchphrase of "I believe in myself" rings rather hollow at the moment.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yurusen is adorable and doesn't care about human life at all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think he just needs to find his core motivation that isn't saving his own rear end. I'm reserving judgment on the show until then.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yes, more of the good garou anime! As always, too bad about that second season.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Using the number of episodes necessary for a given story is such a nice change.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The monk guy is the detective here, but neither he nor anyone else ever acknowledges this fact. I mean, it isn't like any of his knowledge of the supernatural is even remotely relevant. So, he repeatedly serves as a plot device to bring the rider together with the ghost he is supposed to fight.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I kinda wish that every episode didn't start with him moping in the basement until someone comes to drag his rear end out.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

Hikikimori's?

I really hope that Akari will create a tech based rider suit at some point for the monk. It would be a fun thematic thing to do....but it's never going to happen is it?

You are seriously overestimating her competence. She followed someone else's directions to make a ghost revealer, but got stuck and had to be helped out. Then a couple episodes later said device was made completely obsolete when the old man simply gave them a superior alternative. Her vague 'science skills' don't seem to have any more relevance than the monk's enthusiasm for the supernatural. Akari is not Rinna, and has no particular knowledge of rider-based technology.

But then, much like the monk her role probably isn't based on her interests at all. She snatched that eyecon last episode like a boss, and seems to be Takeru's primary emotional support. In other words, Akari's guts are more relevant than her smarts.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Acne Rain posted:

why are you so concerned that akari does ALL of her mad science with no help whatsoever.
none of what she's done could be accomplished by any other character and i prefer fictional scientists to have some limits, especially considering her age.

like go to the physics section of arxiv.org and see if you can get ANYTHING from a random submitted paper

I would like it if she did any of it. But Ghost is magic-based (or maybe extradimensional science, who knows?), and Akari isn't a magician. She tried to do one science thing and wasn't up to the task. Maybe that will change in the future, but for now it is more of a character quirk than a useful ability.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
My guess is that something happened behind the scenes to cause the glitter launcher to be introduced at all, and then it was soon ditched for a plastic piece of crap they could sell to kids. But who knows, it could have just as easily been awkward writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Kiriko was better suited to it than Tomari at the beginning, but it was impossible for reasons that were never really explained.

• Locked thread