Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Burkion posted:

I wish I liked Ryuki more than I do. But man, fuuuck that ending.

I think I like Ryuki's ending intellectually more than I really enjoy it. The final scenes of the rider fight are really excellent in their framing and editing. I really liked finale of the feud between Zolda and Ouja. The ending is thematically appropriate ending for Ryuki, Shinji's through-line for the series was that nothing could be worth the price of the Rider War. On that note it's an interesting ending in that the hero doesn't win, but still can be called victorious because his ideals are affirmed. And yet despite that the ending feels kind of like a cop-out, and the character development for naught. It looks good under the microscope, but it doesn't really feel satisfactory on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I actually really liked Kaito because he took an interesting stance on his philosophy. He's very much a "Survival of the Fittest" kind of guy, but the difference is that unlike a lot of other characters like that Kaito sees himself as weak. His view of the world isn't born out of a desire to justify his standing or excuse him being a jerk like a lot of similar characters, Kaito really does believe that life sucks for the weak and he's constantly trying to drag himself into the echelons of the powerful. It wasn't out of left field when he took the stance he did in the finale, Kaito really seems to hate his own worldview and he hates his lot in life.

As for Kouta I actually liked him, to me Kouta was a good fulcrum point for the show.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

If the next Movie Wars has a bit where Lord Baron and Heart team up to fight the bad guys it will instantly become a 10/10 movie for me.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Serious Frolicking posted:

It would be stranger if a new season of garo wasn't completely awful, at this point.

I'd heard at least lukewarm things about the first anime series. At least it doesn't get the drubbing that GARO 3 and 5 have earned.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Poison Mushroom posted:

2. He's also behind the anime of Yu-Gi-Oh, which explains so much.

Only the very original series. He had nothing to do with Duel Monsters onward. This again makes sense, Inoue have never really cared for fights or using his toy gimmicks or setting ground rules for his battles. So if you notice that a lot of the time Agito or Kiva just completely loving curbstomp the monsters they fight that's an Inoue thing. Also if you noticed stuff like Faiz Accel or Kiva's Bron Booster or half the fuestles in the series were unused or underused? That's also Inoue. Thus when you watch Toei's Yugioh and you notice that the show doesn't even pay lipservice to the game having rules, or there's a noticeable lack of threat or tension in the matchs, or they invent interesting ideas or cards that completely flop and are underutilized you can guess it's Inoue. Sadly I don't think anyone fell into a large body of water. Later Yugioh, especially starting GX, was generally pretty good at following the rules, and is really spot on in terms of cinematography to make their increasingly elaborate and goofy card game theatrics enjoyable and dramatic.

Really Inoue is one of those people who needs to be kept on a leash. He slipped the chain when he made Shougeki Gouraigan and the result was a show about a parade super powerful jerks with dumb rivalries due to misunderstandings, and as the icing on the cake the very first scene of the very first episode was the main character being dropped into the ocean. I am still genuinely amazed that that one episode of Fourze in Kyoto where there's that stupid misunderstanding with the random girl of the week and Gentaro falls in water wasn't written by Inoue, it's so very him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Poison Mushroom posted:

Why does anyone still let him near television scripts?

Honestly I think it's mostly because of Jetman. As much as Burkion hates the poo poo out of Jetman a LOT of Sentai fans hold it in very high regard consider it one of the best in the franchise. To a certain tedious portion of the fanbase Jetman was the last good SERIOUS MATURE sentai series before Zyuranger ruined it forever by making their kid's show a show for kids. Also people remember Agito fondly. Really Inoue has been steadily employed for years, so sadly he isn't going anywhere.

Literally The Worst posted:

which one is it, because toei's started with duel monsters

also part of the reason it didn't pay lip service to rules is the game came out the year before the show started which means it was already in production plus YGO has poo poo garbage rules anyway so yolo

No, the Toei Yugioh series refers specifically to the very first Yugioh anime that roughly adapts the first handful of volumes of the manga. Yugioh Duel Monsters is the better known show that covered the whole of the manga and launched the entire anime franchise, that one was done by Studio Gallop.

As for the rules the Toei series made a much bigger deal of the card game than the actual manga did, which possibly made sense since the manga was in Duelist Kingdom at this point. However and even in those early manga appearances the game kept roughly to a set of rules (albeit stupid ones) and the Toei anime never really even managed that.

• Locked thread