Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Forums poster Burkion has an unhealthy obsession with Choudenshi Bioman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cliff Racer posted:

Well that OP certainly isn't OP if you know what I mean.

Remember to disregard Literally the Worst's opinion on Ninninger which is turning out to be surprisingly good, certainly better than last year's dreck.

But wait...ToQger was :perfect:, and Ninninger is mediocre-to-decent.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Literally The Worst posted:

heres my punchman opinion: mr belt based belt

Krim Steinbelt is the best the second best in Japan.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Ninninger started out pretty bad, with the Red this season aggressively overshadowing everyone else (and being a pretty crappy actor to boot). Lately it's bounced back quite a bit.

ToQger, on the other hand, was consistent the whole way through. YMMV on if you thought it was consistently good or bad; but it's occupying my 2nd Favorite Sentai spot.

On the Rider side, Gaim is :perfect: (some people didn't like the ending..but I did). The belt gimmick in particular was quite fun.

Drive was also :perfect: but I feel like it took a bit longer to get in top gear than Gaim did. Mr. Belt was surprisingly a pretty great character.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Flameingblack posted:

I have the Sengoku Driver and the sounds come from the Lock Seeds, the Gokai Morphers had an extension or something you could put on it that would recognize all the new keys. Why weren't toys this cool when I was a child?

The new Mobirates were actually complete reissues (With a new color scheme, no less).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

Ultraman is pretty much Number 1

Number 1? NUMBER ONE did you say?

Hayakawa Ken is number one in all Japan.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Kyoryuger is the better starting Sentai, actually. Its disappointing ending allows for the sheer wonderfulness that is Shinkenger's endgame to be more fully appreciated.

Also, I never have to watch TV-N again.

Kyoryuger is just the best Sentai. 10 man team...Ramirez...dancing transformations, a musical movie, and the goddamn theme song being used in-show as The Song of the Earth!!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The entire budget is going into waterproofing the suits.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Crossposting this from my Power Rangers thread:

Power Rangers Shuriken comes exclusively to Netflix in 2017

So Power Rangers is becoming a Netflix-exclusive show, and they're not making a ToQger adaptation. Not a fan of this news...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Got my Dairanger set today; its pretty much exactly the same as the Zyuranger set in terms of quality and presentation.

Minor differences: instead of the OP over the main menu and the ED over the Episode Select, the Dairanger set has the ED over the main and silence on the Episode Select.

First episode leads up with what I assume is the preview for Dairanger that would have aired after the final episode of Zyuranger. Cute to see.

Also, there's no bonus features of any kind. The Zyuranger set had a couple...but this one is just 5 episodes per disc, 10 discs total. I was hoping for at least a little featurette of what from Dairanger got taken for MMPR Season 2, but oh well.

Incidentally, the plastic case of my set suffered a bit in the post..if anyone knows a good source for the same type of DVD case, let me know. I checked amazon, but nothing seemed to quite match, and since the episode list is printed on the inside of the case sleeve, having everything line up the same is kinda important.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

FortMax posted:

Contact Shout about it. When I got a broken case in the mail on a VR Troopers set they sent a replacement.

That's actually what I did; the customer service rep got back to me in less than 10 minutes (amazing!) and said he'd look into it, but wasn't sure if they would be able to provide one.

His first suggestion was to contact the retailer...but I got mine off eBay; so that doesn't help too much.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Burk actually comes from Makuu Space. That's why his posts are so non-Euclidian.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of Bioman, Episode 41 is out over at GUIS

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
At this point I'm just praying someone buys a ToQ set, parts it out, and I can get Red.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Holy crap, wish MFC would hurry up and put out MORE GAVAN I need it in my life!!!

It only takes 50 milliseconds to subtitle Gavan

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

You guys just want me to do an episode by episode love review of this show don't you

Podcasters With Attitude Retro Edition?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, there's no way they're gonna go full Gokaiger again this soon; so getting occasional crossovers and one big vs. movie next year will be perfect.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Millionfold started to release Gavan subs. So far we just have the first 6 episodes from them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My biggest complaint about Ghost is with the supporting cast. I can't stand bald monk dude, the villains haven't gotten any real development yet, and overall I'm just tuning in for the fights.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Xelkelvos posted:

It seems like we're finally possibly seeing why one of the villains is doing what they're doing, but it's a development that should've happened weeks ago.

Yeah; Specter is getting some airtime, but Bad Teeth man and Anime Pal (I seriously can't even remember their names...) have zero motivation as of 7 episodes in.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Elfgames posted:

I don't hate bald monk dude his only real problem is being a bit too loud.

Yeah; his comical excited outbursts just do not work for me at all. If he was excitable, but in a more realistic fashion, I'd be much more okay with him.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Acne Rain posted:

akari has a childhood history with the protagonist and is the one he can trust and confide in most and is also a mad scientist whose father worked in ghostology.

Yeah; Akari is alright, especially now that she's more or less dropped the whole "THESE THINGS HAPPENING IN FRONT OF ME AREN'T POSSIBLE!" in favor of "I'm going to study these things and figure out what makes them possible"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Stallion Cabana posted:

yeah no one seems to be noting in the show itself that the person doing 90% of the legwork on this poo poo is Onari. It's a little strange.

He's not even really doing a lot of the legwork. A client shows up, they go with the client to wherever the client was gonna take them anyway, and there's the Ganma.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Elfgames posted:

I like that in the next episode or so all the eyecons will be found

Kinda took the wind out of the collection aspect when villain-guy-whose-name-I-don't-know just opened up a briefcase with 5 heroic eyecons in it. Gotta introduce the toys quick so the kiddies know what to ask for for Christmas.

I feel like this series is even more toyetic than other recent ones. On top of the belts and collectable gimmick, each form comes with its own little weapon to slot into the big awkward sword thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Goddamn that's quick service.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

If you're in an OP updating mood; Goranger is still receiving active releases. Just got a 5 episode batch a couple days ago.

By Rampage Subs though, not Love & Care

jivjov fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 7, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Literally The Worst posted:

link it goddammit

edit i found it. 47 of 84 subbed. not bad.

Apologies; was phone posting and was too lazy to snag a link then.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I don't like the doofy beak on Red, but otherwise I like the look.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Larryb posted:

I believe that JAKQ, Changeman and Kyoryuger are the only seasons not to have a Yellow Ranger. There will never be a Sentai without a Red but one without a Blue might be possible one day, probably unlikely though. What is the reason those two colors always seem to be mandatory anyway?

I attended a panel once on color theory as applied to Super Sentai...and for the life of me I can't remember all the details :(

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I don't even want to call Ninninger bad...it's just consistently mediocre as hell. Like a couple other people have mentioned; I feel like we're in the teens or twenties of episode count, not coming very nearly to the home stretch.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gah! I can't keep up!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Was it just me or was a lot of the fight in Ghost 11 taking place in locations they used for the Overlord's hangout in Helheim from Gaim?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Poor Cid. He deserved better than he got.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

WickedHate posted:

Holy poo poo, yall are totally right. I need to turn in my Gaim superfan license for not noticing. That's really cool, though, happy to see it again, and it made a great fight location.

It took me a minute to recognize it without the helheim color filter and foliage

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Waffleman_ posted:

A good toku fight begins with the hero kicking the bad guy into an entirely new set.

And either the origin or the endpoint needs to be the Warehouse

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Some Numbers posted:

I still give ToQ more points in that regard, because it was more thematically set up over the previous arc and ToQ Rainbow was awesome.

Yeah; the climax fight of ToQger involved the entire team, and even the final shot from the cannon had the backing of ToQ 2-6. Right takes center stage for a bit in the middle, but overall it was a team effort.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I finished up After V Season 2 today...I wasn't really enjoying it as much as Season 1 up until the final episode, which was amazing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
For me After V is less about parodying Sentai directly (like Akibaranger was) and more just a literal after-work drama of these second rate heroes, and their interactions with the Evil Organization. The comedy comes from that rather than the Sentai stuff.

That said, finally seeing a full transformation and roll call was pretty great.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Ninninger has just really been a wet fart of a season for me. We're, what, 2 or 3 episodes from the end and it FINALLY feels like plot has been happening for the last handful?

Stallion Cabana posted:

More importantly, the preview for next weeks Ninninger shows ITSHAPPENING.GIF

DADRANGER

This, however, is a Good Thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
At least TAKAHARU IS THE BEST AND CAN DO NO WRONG died down a bit from the beginning. This is still an excessively red-centric season, but its not as egregious any more.

• Locked thread