Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Justin_Brett posted:

I still think Toqger was better at handling the 'Red is the best at everything' phase we're in now, since even if Right was a fair amount of the time, the show seemed to take the piss out of him more sincerely than Ninninger does Taka. Plus he wasn't just the hotblooded idiot trope played straight as an arrow.

Blockhouse posted:

also daigo's actor was fun and charming as opposed to whatshisface's complete lack of talent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Motto posted:

Up until I quit watching it felt like they were speeding through all the required plot beats as quickly as possible, like they were dispassionately checking items off a list.

That's how almost every first Rider episode goes and by now it's really starting to show. "Normal dude falls into the belt and bumbles through his first fight like (varying degrees of) a complete doofus" hasn't been actually entertaining since Den-O, or depending on how much you loved chainsaw foot and the complete mishandling of Launcher, Fourze.

That's one of the big strengths W has, they just drop it; Shotaro and Philip have been W for some time, they know how their belt works and the show can do interesting things instead of a slogging initial arc of "Why is belt, why I belt, wacky sidekick please help re:belt." Hell even Wizard got that.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Poison Mushroom posted:

I absolutely loved the Fourze version, because Gentaro was actually excited to be a superhero.

So did I. Gentaro is the only one I know of who went into the whole Main Rider thing headfirst instead of the usual two options of "Ryotaro-esque freakout" or "Utterly baffled about the situation and transformation, rolls with it anyway."

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

deadly_pudding posted:

I think they're saving Akari's "coming around to reality" moment for like when something extra hosed-up happens like 10 episodes down the line when we get the secondary rider, or the first power-up form, or something.

I may not be able to last another ten episodes of Akari violently screeching about how ghosts aren't real despite being physically hauled around by them and harassed by her dead crush's intangibility antics. Between her and Onari it's like having two Shunpeis around.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Twelve by Pies posted:

Ninninger has gotten a little better recently, the last few episodes haven't been completely focused on Takaharu and now that Lion Ha-Oh is broken for a while he can't just go super and do everything himself anymore.

And now the Yukio Watch is back as of this week so it's time for things to go downhill again.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Literally The Worst posted:

If you don't like Akiko your a goddamn hurler

Personally I find her goddamn insufferable but then again everyone I know who's watched the full show says she gets better so maybe I'm just Not There Yet. I'm still at the point where Ryu is a frustrating-to-watch shitheel.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
I personally loved the Sharivan movie. :colbert: Then again most pre-2000s tokusatsu just doesn't grab me for one reason or another so I'm not in a place to stack it up to the source material or its franchise.

Also it's got Ryoma Baba being a smug prick and that alone is worth price of admission because he is so good at it.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
It's too bad Specter's gonna get a redemption arc, this week was the best secondary-Rider antagonizing I think I've seen at all.

HEARD YOU WERE GONNA FIGHT SOMEONE, NOT ON MY WATCH

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 25, 2015

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Waffleman_ posted:

It's the most wonderful time of the year.

The time where we get our first blurry look at the new Sentai!

The Zubat remake is looking great! :v:

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Twelve by Pies posted:

Ninninger seemed like it was getting better when the Transcendent Brace broke but it's started sliding back down again

Fuckin' Yukio Watch.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Literally The Worst posted:

his final power up should be a spooky scary skeleton

No that's Specter's, clearly. DOKI DOKI DOKURO :v:

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Killer Queen posted:

Ghost's music has been quite plain and forgettable so far. It's just kind of there and doesn't make much of an impression.

I can recall only one track so far sticking out to me and all it does is make me think of something from Gaim.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Twelve by Pies posted:

Takaharu shouting about how he's fired up is some of the worst acting I've seen and how did he even get the job? Do they really just not have tryouts for Sentai so they didn't know how bad he was or is it a matter of "He's a super popular actor/singer guy so who cares if he can't act, he'll make the show more popular."

Since about episode eight, when the realization fully sank in, I've wondered if Takaharu's actor being astoundingly terrible was a fluke for this franchise or if there've been any other incredibly bad Sentai actors we just didn't notice for one reason or another, especially coming out of Megaforce where the actual robot managed to show more emotion than Troy did.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Brinty posted:

Necrom's brace has such a rad voice and look, but at the same time, seeing that thing on his arm just looks stupid as hell even for a Toku show, too much big clunky looking stuff recently.

It's big and awkward and why does nobody punch him in the enormous lull it takes for him to do anything with it. I get it's a "Why are you letting them form the robot" complaint but Aran just stands there fiddling with the big dumb blocky eyedropper on his wrist for like twenty seconds, kick him in the teeth Makoto

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Zyuoh King looks really good as a suit. Like, not just "not complete dogshit like the toy" good. I wasn't expecting this. Please be good, Zyuohger. :stare:

THE ROBOT DANCE RETURNS

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Serious Frolicking posted:

He was always going to be the special one, but the show has kept it to a reasonable level and has yet to forget that the rest of the cast exists.

Hell, Yamato's sharing the spotlight even in episodes that are about him.

It's goddamn Bizarro-Ninninger.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 31, 2016

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Elfgames posted:

Onari is probably one of the best side characters in Kamen rider it was great seeing him act like an actual monk to javel also his idea of a rebelious youth.

It's even more apparent and wonderful considering he seemed all set to be Shunpei Mk.II when the show started.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Season 3 of SD Gundam Force is looking pretty alright.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Blaze Dragon posted:

I want to live in the world where we got Kamen Rider Necrom instead.

I'm down with a universe where secondary Riders are the spotlight-main characters. What's the only real loss we'd suffer, Fourze?

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Okay yes I somehow managed to forget W but I have at least a little faith that Shithead Ryu's Angry Dumbass Vengeanceventures could be legitimately entertaining.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Twelve by Pies posted:

Wow drat that "Ganmeisers are sentient and will betray Adel" thing really was just deus ex machina'd away. Such a shame, I was really hoping something would come of that. I wish Ghost was a lot better than it was.

So has Ghost kind of solidified into Opposite Day OOO with a shaky-to-bad start, a fairly excellent middle and a totally awful ending, then? I'm not sure offhand what other shows have managed to pull that off.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Poison Mushroom posted:

I fell off Ghost pretty quick, but the more I hear about it, the more it sounds like "Drive, but worse", with a dash of "Fourze, but worse" in the themes. 'Infinite potential of humanity' is definitely a Fourze thing, since it also meant individual humans, and not just 'humanity' as some vague catch-all. It's a very real 'humanity-is-made-up-of-individual-humans' kind of deal, in a very 'For Whom The Bell Tolls' kind of way.

At this point it's Wizard But Better because you can replace "hope" with "humanity's/Takeru's potential" and get roughly the same effect. Plus it shares Wizard's ability to look like it could be an amazing series and then completely squandered it for this.

Amazingly whenever "infinite potential" is brought up it's almost always about specifically Takeru or humanity as a whole, there's never any distinction otherwise. No, Timmy, you probably don't have infinite potential, unless you're part of the greater good; this kid who got killed by ghosts on his eighteenth birthday, however...

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Serious Frolicking posted:

ghost isn't as bad as wizard but it is still pretty bad overall

Ghost is definitely #2 in the Bad Post-Decade Riders list. There's no toppling Wizard from that throne.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Take the rest of the day off, because you're a dick.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Or run out of budget by Episode 3.

Please be good, Karate Rainbow Trash Man.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Waffleman_ posted:

At least Dino Charge has been good from all accounts, and if they can keep that going into Ninja Steel, it has a very high chance of actually being better than Nin2 (granted, it's not a high bar).

A swift kick in the teeth would be better than Ninninger. The concept at least sounds legit fun though, so I'm hopeful it'll be Actually Pretty Good.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
After this week's Ex-Aid I'm really hoping Snipe's level-generation items are waist-high walls.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Larryb posted:

And here's the mech which also doesn't look too bad (it looks like the "core" 5 of the team will be Red, Blue, Black, Green and Yellow though it can mix and match parts from the other 4 members as well).

It is downright bizarre to see a Sentai robot toy actually look good, after the last four years.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

The Deleter posted:

Hiro and Taiga are a bunch of nothing right now.

I really, truly hope Hiiro gets over himself, or just gets his rear end beat so hard somebody else takes the Brave mantle from him for the rest of the show, because his too-cool-for-school shitlord personality makes him the worst person in the entire cast. Like he literally has no redeeming qualities right now other than "the cake thing was funny, once" and his absolutely insane explanation for how he takes advantage of DoReMiFa Beat. At least Taiga's entertaining in that he'll straight up Specter on everyone the second it's convenient for him; Hiiro's just there to insult Emu and get in his way (to the grand detriment of both of them) for no good goddamn reason other than "Piss off, intern."

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
If Hiiro turned out to be the new Kaito in combat effectiveness I would come around to him completely and wholeheartedly because this fucker is perfect for a hilarious self-destructive tailspin over being designated the biggest jobber since Heisei-movies Shadow Moon.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm holding out hope that they're building up for Hiiro to have a massive hubris implosion about halfway through the series.

I found the dead-girlfriend reveal to be funnier than anything because it tries to be this big explanation for "Oh, that's why he's so obsessed with being The Best Doctor and The Best Rider, also isn't it cute he eats cake in her memory."

'cause it's like

no dog

you're just an incredible rear end in a top hat and you always were

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if the writing is ghost, they will just kinda stand around being boring while emu does everything himself.

I wish Makoto stayed the Specter that scared Takeru shitless from ep5-10. The Specter that somehow detects Takeru turning into Ghost from across town, goes "Not on my watch," and shows up out of absolutely nowhere specifically and solely to ruin Takeru's day. That Specter ruled.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

TerminusEst13 posted:

Imo the writing has been the absolute weakest part of Ex-Aid so far, I really just haven't been feeling it. The action scenes, suitwork, effects, and suit design (yes I love the suits even with how garish they are) have been a real blast but the actual plot and characters have been either boring or stupid. Doesn't feel like the video game gimmick has been handled that well, either.

I really want to like Ex-Aid, I really really want to. But it's just not really clicking.

Yeah I'm finding it difficult to see this being A Good Show if things keep going the way they are because the show's been riding entirely on "This is so loving stupid and I love every second of it" spectacle which can only go so far. Then again we're barely a fifth of the way through and even Ghost got good for a time around this point so we'll see what happens.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Dec 21, 2016

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
For some reason I remember Bad GARO being a bigger list than Good GARO. Nice to see I was wrong, at least.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Blaze Dragon posted:

Go-Busters is really good and I still have the Morphin' Brace calling out in my head at times, telling me IT'S MORPHIN' TIME and several Engrish phrases.

The "incoming call" jingle has been my text and email alert tone for the last three years. I've been considering adding Ex-Aid's GAME CLEAR one alongside it.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

The Deleter posted:

Taiga kinda sucks.

Taiga as a character is pretty bad but Taiga as a force is absolutely fantastic, because he can, will and has shown up out of goddamned nowhere solely to take a literal shot at the CR Riders. With Saiba approaching him, his focus is now looking to turn from "Give me the Gashats" to specifically hunting Emu which can present some real poo poo as Taiga is exactly the sort of person who will run him down while he's busy doing Doctor Things - especially if framed as a way to get revenge on the CR itself for spurning him. It would be great if he got some time to have his story revealed further but I am completely fine with him just being a particularly aggressive wrinkle in Emu's life right now, should he accept that deal.

That said he's also probably the most likely to take up Kiriya's role as the investigator because he seemed the most heavily-involved of the four with Dan himself and Genm Corp prior to the identity reveal; if he's railing this hard against the CR and claiming to be the only Rider necessary to deal with the Bugster, he should have a pretty interesting reaction to getting played this entire time trying to gather the Gashats on what was apparently Dan's request. He has a lot of potential, but I don't trust Kamen Rider writers to ever do anything with potential because the last time they did they could not define the word "potential", so where he'll land is anyone's guess.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 27, 2016

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
All this potential for Niko to do or be something cool and this is the route they go with her. gently caress off.

Also it's becoming more and more obvious the writers are in a corner and half-desperate with all this power creep because for the last month or so the plot has entirely hinged on key characters making the worst possible decision at the time regardless of how they should actually be acting, and the show is really suffering for it. How many instances have we had since Ep12 where if one person had done anything but what they did it'd end in pretty much a complete victory for that side?

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 31, 2017

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Twelve by Pies posted:

Didn't expect the weird "worlds are merged" thing but since Sentai shows take place in their own separate universes outside of crossovers I guess it doesn't matter. It'd still be hilarious for zyumans to appear in the backgrounds of cities from now on though.

"We bought 75 rubber horse head masks off Amazon and we might as well use them :toot:"

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Mister Olympus posted:

I'm better disposed to it than Daigo's nonsense, just because it's not really anything he seems to intentionally do, and seeing the ways that the universe will contrive increasingly improbable asspulls sounds like fun to me.

Red Ranger Chirico Cuvie is a terrifying but admittedly intriguing concept.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

I despise Ex-Aid's Legend Rider designs but this one actually kinda works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Twelve by Pies posted:

At least this episode remembered that Kotaro has a little brother he's just straight up abandoned without telling him anything.

To be fair I'm not entirely sure "Be kidnapped by a moody scorpion man and forced to take care of a spaceship, in space, for a couple weeks" was on Kotaro's list of things he expected to happen that day.

• Locked thread