Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI4oWlrGs9I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm hoping that between Red having a job and the commercial where he's the responsible one that this time around Red will be smart and responsible, maybe if he is and not just poochie it won't matter as much that he gets most of the focus... which he does already, he already has a second form and mecha and a unique weapon as well as definitely being the perspective character since he's a human and not a disney's zootopia

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I wonder if the promo for zyuohger with rangers going shopping and bowling and poo poo is to try to appeal to viewers who were turned off of ninninger's red focus and the cast's general lack of camaraderie.

It's certainly gets across that the next series is not ninninger.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

calling it that purple guy covered in cubes is totally the sixth. he's purple, he's cubes, he's the team's purple on the cube ranger.

E: oh my god

quote:

The Deathgaliens, the evil outlaw army from outer space that has destroyed countless planets throughout the universe. No matter how much pain they inflict on planets’ inhabitants, they continue to repeat their deadly “Blood Game”. Having recently destroyed their 99th planet, they’ve chosen the Earth as the playground for the 100th game.

Azald is a Deathgalien leader; he favours inflicting physical pain. Cuval is a Deathgalien leader; he favours causing emotional/mental distress. Ginis, the Deathgalien boss, loves playing with the lives of others; he’ll award a prize to the winner of his “Blood Game”. Nalia is Ginis’s aide; she grants “Continue Medals” to Ginis’s “Players” after they’re defeated, which turns them into giants. The foot soldiers are Moeba and the first monster sent to Earth is Jakudo.

so deathgalien's are Death Gamer Aliens

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 23, 2016

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Some Numbers posted:

Remember Shinkenger, where Shinken Blue actually killed Doukoku?

Remember Gokaiger, where the final blow was dealt by Gokai Silver?

What happened to those days?

Even if right was most of the final battle in toqger, it was at least a long struggle that he nearly lost and that he still needed his friends for. And he tried not only saving them from the battle but to save them from losing the ability to have normal lives at his own expense.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Literally The Worst posted:

shinkenger was red centric as gently caress

it owns hard

Shinkenger works because despite being red-centric it has That Huge Twist... which kind of means it was only pretending to be red centric? Shinkenred earned his specialness whereas akaninger was special period, no twists, no struggle, nothing, so far as I can tell since I never even got to episode 10.

It's an interesteing comparison. Ninninger I think kind of wanted to be Shinkenger at least in high concept. It had five characters who had been in lifelong training, the heroes and villains are both from japanese culture, and in the first episode of both did the thing where they start out by introducing the red fighting footsoldiers already and playing the theme, and then later there's kind of an inverted callback where Shinkenger's first episode is all about Red wanting to fight alone and Ninninger Red is about getting everyone to join him. Too bad they kind of didn't know what to do after that.

Both of these examples show one thing: The first episode or premise means jack poo poo with these series and it's too early to really tell anything about how zyuohger will be good or not.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

V-Men posted:

Haha, Zyuohger's megazord is a minecraft megazord?! Awesome

they literally live in minecraft + animal crossing world.
Not only is everyone an animal in zyuland but all the rocks and stuff are cubes too.

Plus they're not even hiding the video game connection.
The bad guys are gamers trying to get high scores in causing pain and distress, and they grow the defeated monster of the week by literally giving them "continue medals".

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I liked shurikensentai's parting shot at ninninger.

quote:

Bye bye, Ninjas. Please remember to stay hidden from now on.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I like the suits simplicity that makes them all look like crayon drawings because ToQger did that and I would not mind another ToQger.
Yes there were plenty of people who did not like ToQger but who cares, divisive show is better than show no one likes like Ninninger.

orange black grey is the loving weirdest rear end sixth yet.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

jivjov posted:

Everyone and no one. They realized that they needed to surpass Grandad's way of thinking entirely and rejected the idea of having one solitary Last Ninja. They used the End Shuriken together as a team to elimiante the End Shuriken entirely, and then they each gave themselves different "Last Ninja" style titles.

That actually sounds pretty cool.
I mean, I'm basing things on hearsay so I guess I was expecting them to totally just play things straight and have it be takaharu. But I guess that just means my expectations were low and execution was probably still hampered by the lack of stakes.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I'm not sure they could pull a go busters and go "well we're NEVER doing anything this series did again!!!!", especially when it used a theme that's worked before, so I hope they notice how horrible the whole takaharu thing was and just don't do that. Probably, though, means that mecha's going to be very simple looking from now on.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Kanon seems kind of kreepy.
Even Makato calls ganma world hell but she seems to be okay with it and with Prince Aran, like there's something still kind of wrong with her.
I know we aren't even to episode twenty yet but I do kind of wish they'd hurry the reveals up just a little.

I can confirm Drive owns really hard. It is NOTHING like Gaim and if you skipped it you need to go back and watch it, especially if you are not currently liking Ghost.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Fourze is pretty refreshing considering the majority of high school heroes like peter parker or buffy summers portray the rest of their school as basically the enemy. Even the Might Morphing Power Rangers mostly kept to their own little incrowd. Gentaro faces a lot of the same adversity but never lets up trying to understand others instead of just deciding they are, in fact, their stereotype and not worth his time.

Like compare Miu to Cordelia Chase. Even before she gets relegated to catchphrase duty, Miu is actually very wily and driven, while Cordelia is in fact completely a cheerleader as portrayed by a bitter nerd. Or Kengo, in Spider-Man's world he would've ended up as a villain based on some random animal.

I don't really get the Meteor hate, since he's basically mocking the concept of the loner angsty teenage hero and his confusion at the KRC is pretty funny but whatever. I didn't expect to like Fourze but it ended up being one of my faves.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I watched Fourze before W, so Meteor didn't come soured by being a plot repeat. I ended up liking a lot of things about Meteor better than Accel, though. Accel didn't have episodes that were nearly as great as ones with Cancer and Aries.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Yeah the destruction effects were pretty nice and the shot of the whole battle was pretty great.

I do kind of prefer it when the toku villains have bizarre and whimsical plans like "switching peoples souls with inanimate objects" - has kind of a wacky silver age comics charm to it - so I found this monster kind of boring, but the effects were pretty cool.

I'm still holding out hope for the villains to be fun this season. I really like how they actually welcome a challenge and there's also some competition between them, and genis's suit looks pretty cool. I liked how great a moment him just standing up to full height in attention was in episode one without anyone over explaining what that meant.
I'm also hoping this episode dispels some of the fear that Yamato is going to be like Takaharu. He might be specially favored by EAGLEMAN INSURANCE but he's not a complete dipshit so far.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Xelkelvos posted:

New episode up and the newest toy looks like this:

Also, it seems Red is more like the straight-man to a set of oddballs and is always willing to help. White seems more of a pragmatist and is making the best of the situation.

Still no monster pattern yet since the preview for Episode 4 has the monster wielding an axe, but there's also a Wrestling thing going on.

Also, I think I sort of understand why Red has a Whip-Sword. It has to be a Sword because Red ALWAYS has a Sword. It's a whip because he's basically an animal tamer.

The four leaders have mineral themes. Jagged was one of the leaders, and was apparently based on stibnite.
The two monsters sent out were both Azald's, and they were both animal hunters.
Cubar has a different playstyle than Azald and might have a different theme.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
well i guess he won't be in the american adaptation (power rangers furry force)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
At least the red power up has a story motivating it and isn't because he's the best and most firrrrrred up.
I suspect there's a toy sales reason, if they didn't have a new red we'd have to get a sixth; sixths and secondary riders have been showing up earlier and earlier.

And look, this one even has consequences according to the episode preview. When's the last time we've had to weight the ethics of a power up? Gokaiger?

I do miss the shadow line's fights with the toqgers at this point. The fights against the leaders curbstomped the toqgers and the episodes resolved without them winning.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
my favorite incidental about zoogers is that they are roughing it compared to the last five or even ten teams. They don't have a mentor, they don't even have a prophecy speaking parrot to give them direction or really any equipment, whatsoever, except a handful of cubes. They don't even know who the hell they're fighting. Instead of a train/star galleon base or a dojo or a mystic cave, they live in a completely normal treehouse in the woods and have to argue over who gets what chores, because they don't have a robo maid like the toqgers had.

This could become some bullshit later but it amuses me right now.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I've enjoyed everything from W to Ghost except Wizard... but I've found the pre W series harder to get into.
Even Kuuga, which I mostly found boring despite everyone else loving it. I did get halfway through Ryuki, though, and plan to finish it eventually. I'd recommend finishing Fourze and Drive first at least (Drive is really, really good), as well as Gaim (an imperfect series but one worth watching).

I do like Amazons a whole lot, though, and it's extremely different from these modern riders or sentai, so it just might be my whims.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Alain can't do that right now because he has a human body

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Most of this has mood shifts, Chase movie had that spit take at the same time as all that blood and boobs.

I got a kick out of the ultra serious music playing while javel and Alain were on swingsets.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Just out of curiousity, were any of the Pre-W kamen rider villains particularly sympathetic or have had somewhat noble goals?

Randomly noticed that every villain faction W onwards is sympathetic (except I don't know about wizard but gently caress wizard), but from what I've seen of Kuuga and Ryuki just had monsters, and I don't know much about the showa era.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

boom boom boom posted:

I just saw the Zyuohger suits. They look cool. Is the show any good?

It's alright as a children's show, cute fun cast that actually interacts with each other, the heroes and villains are all very interesting to watch. Heroes are distinctive and work with each other and learn from each other really well, villains are hilariously evil bastards that are competing with each other to entertain to see who can inflict the most death and misery.

Hasn't really done anything beyond being okay except for the recent two parter, which I thought was fantastic.

I doubt it will be beating Go Busters or Shinkenger but it might end up even with ToQger for me. (Like ToQger, I feel like this might get really fun when the plot gets going)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
you're already watching a show aimed for an age group decades below you about people in rubber suits hitting each other with toys, embrace the goofiness.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Ghost isn't as empty of appeal as it was starting up and has more of a plot than it did, but it's less fun than the other neo heseis sans Wizard and I doubt it will ever catch up to any of them.
Like even shows with weaker protagonists like OOO and Gaim have something Ghost does not. It just never stops feeling like it's missing something to me.

Watch Amazons instead, IMO.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

boom boom boom posted:

Is Amazons an actual sequel to Amazon, or is it like a reimagining or a spiritual successor or something?

Latter.
It's a new thing with similar hero suits and bike and some similar beats like being friends with a mole monster but other than that it's a new setting from episode one on.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Larryb posted:

I'm very curious in seeing where Amazons is going at this point, we're about 3-4 episodes from the end now and it doesn't really feel like it's heading twords some kind of endpoint yet (Hell, next time we're getting a 3rd Rider). Who knows, maybe they'll end up doing a second season.

I was expecting more of side character squad to die by now, but good on them for keeping up the tension and not using death cheaply but maybe there will be more of that near the end.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
The days are counting down a lot more slowly than the first time around.
He barely seems concerned about being dead this time, either.

Ghost isn't that great of a series.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
The two things I've seen closest to the appeal of the toku shows I watch are Buffy the vampire slayer and season one and two of the cgi turtles show.

Buffy I think everyone knows, it's Buffy, it's silly high school poo poo and silly weird demons and witches and rubber suits, but it doesn't let anyone tell it what to do and will have more serious poo poo on it for better or worse. Come to think ash vs the evil dead was similar but even more fun.

The cgi tmnt showed that a cgi show might be the closest we get to the action sequences of toku, they seriously look great and it's clear that research was ot into them. It also, again, does mood whiplash a lot. The humor isn't far off from a toku show but some episodes had some disturbing stuff, "Pulverizer Returns" remains a more shocking episode than a lot of straight horror series.

My own suggestion for if you want to see a more directly like a "real" toku show is basically do things like the venture bros or Rick and north, have really smart writers tapping into their inner ten year olds. Make a really stupid adult swim show about live action actors beating up monsters, at first pull in the crowd who wants to watch something stupid and fun and gradually get them to sincerely care.

I don't want kamen rider adapted, unless it's just amazons with a dub. It's fine being what it is.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
You can criticize something without being able to create your own.

I don't think a Power Rangers movie, especially not as an attempt to get Marvel money, and they're dumb for trying. Everything good about it was either just good for a kid in the 90's and not for an adult moviegoer in 2016 or was lifted directly from a different show.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I'd do spandax, but I'd also make the movie about five multicolored deadpools.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Eh sounds okay if you have 90s cartoon nostalgia, but the old show is associated with some bad memories for me.

I might become curious enough to read IF they used their new modern continuity to have all the teams they've had over the years operating at the same time in made up towns across the country. That's something that's never going to happen outside comics.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

LightningKimba posted:

This week's Ghost reveals secrets about Makoto I was not prepared for.

The kind of weird creepy poo poo that is basically accepted in almost all anime these days but I hadn't found in toku yet. I guess the show being boring and having this one scene in it isn't going to stop me from continuing to watch but I continue to be disappointed.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I really liked Fourze. I've wanted to do a compare and contrast to Season 1-3 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer because even though Fourze is for a younger audience, there's aspects of it I like better and a lot in common.

Thing is if you watch it after W you might notice certain things are copy-pasted in terms of premise and that can be a big turn off. I'll just say that certain things start out similarly, the journey and destinations are different.

Also if you've seen a few Heseis you might worry about Gentaro. Don't worry, he is a good Rider and does not drag the show down.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I know the thread has strong feelings about Meteor.

My feelings about Meteor are counter to the thread, and if this is nerdman's next series I hope people refrain from talking too much about him and let nerdman form their own opinions.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
If Amazons has a sequel series I'd like them to back Gen to see what he could do with a short live action series with blood and drama and not as many mandated toys.

Like I'm having a lot of trouble with the Haruka finding his compass storyline in Amazons, he's kind of in a circle and I was pretty mad at him for still going to bat for the people eater restaurant. Madoka Magica is pretty much the only time where that storyline worked for me.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
https://twitter.com/trademark_bot/status/742375097575432193

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I'm finishing Ryuki (just 5 or 6 episodes left...), but I just wanted to say:
It's realllly weird to read this as a toy commercial when you have a character like Imperer.
Like what kind of statement would buying a toy of Imperer have. In fact, a lot of Kamen rider toys are role playing toys, and the idea of role playing as him is bizarre.

It's one thing to sell representations of horrible people like Ouja and Tiger, but another to try to sell a pathetic and sad one.

• Locked thread