Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
ex aid is a show about danfaces

ps: amazonz is the best poo poo right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Yeah that was a good part but the end of the episode is what made that one good

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I've heard it called hesei phases one and two

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Except mole boy. Mole is still hosed in this ending

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
there was that "make more sigmas" stinger at the end
Kind of would like to see them do a different reimagining next but wouldn't mind seeing more Amazonz

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
it's really kind of funny that the had to do so much detailing on everything and make it look like something the audience could believe is real alien tech and all that, like not even having the helmets look like dinosaurs or the dinosaurs themselves look like dinosaurs

except the fake mouths are just the way they always were

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Oh yeah, much better
Early toy shill episodes are a little rough but it gets good and consistently surprising, unlike ghost.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Caphi posted:

Unrelated

I forgot I posted this and now I feel prophetic.

*ahem* I hope Build is totally awesome.

there were some blurrs on your crystal ball as we have not had watcha name for many episodes now

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I was really frustrated with gaim. Madoka had much more mature characters but they were supposed to be younger and more emotional than gain's, and the ending was ambiguous and not an outright failure like gaim's. People can argue to this day about who was right or wrong there, but gaim is just whether you take Satan at his word whether he's a natural phenomenon or not.

Also I like Oren. He was probably intended as a hurtful stereotype but he ends up being a better character who despite being wrong has put more thought into his position and has stronger convictions than the rest of the cast.

My hope is that urobuchi can come back for an adult Amazon only series to follow up AMAZONZ, tonally it would be a better fit and hed have less restrictions

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 29, 2017

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Waffleman_ posted:

I liked Gaim while I was watching it, but I did never finish it, so I can't judge the ending. But yeah, I agree that Urobuchi might have been more comfortable in an Amazons situation, given a shorter series for an older audience less driven by toy sales.

You know the street dancing?
Urobuchi wanted to make a show about street gangs and bandai said no and that was a substitute.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I really like madoka but I have mixed feelings about Gaim.

I think it is a series you need to see for yourself and form your own opinion on.

I mean that's one thing I liked about madoka. Even people who liked it are divided on the values of what happened to this day
Gaim isn't quite like that but I wouldn't feel the way I do without seeing it through from start to end.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

PMush Perfect posted:

All the interesting things happen around him, got it.

Man, I miss when KR protags were interesting. :(

This show handles it's cast extremely well actually but the first 12 episodes are a slightly different show

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Except Emu has suffered a lot, has had to take charge and make plans, and has shown skills in manipulating others to get a good outcome. Like I'm not sure how if you've seen episodes 39 and 40 you can say Emu is completely boring.

Takeru was just "nice", never thought too hard about anything and the entire world just bent to get him his way and things always worked out for him and everyone loves him. Like when he killed that monster that was that girl's dad - but that ended up doing nothing but setting things out right anyway and the entire two parter was loving pointless.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
find it really odd that build's trailer is about all this weird plot poo poo when the last two trailers were like "here's a kamen rider show about GHOSTS!" "here's a kamen rider show about DOCTORS and VIDEO GAMES! (and he has a midget form)"

also like how the belt says YAY

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Fourze is also fun.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Amazons if you can take heartbreak, poor decision makers, and gore.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Ex-Aid as a series has possibly the most bizarre and interesting series of forms yet. At this point most of them have really unique and bizarre powers that have made every fight a little weird and different, like pausing, delayed finishers, invincibility, reprogramming, continues, power-up access, splitting in two in order to access your brain tumor who is also your little brother... A lot of things have had continued re-uses for their specific powers as well. It's been interesting.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I'm seen tumblr blogs who spend almost all their time complaining about how sexist most of hesei phase 2 is, except for Ghost which they think is the best series ever, not have that much of a problem with jetman.

I can't say I think they make very much sense to me or are as logical about things as burkion.... actually I had to stop following them because they were negative about things that made very little sense and their jokes made even less sense... but they exist. (I could tolerate loving ghost, but hating ex-aid every time it has character conflict or does something interesting is too much) Actually at least one of the more reasonable ones who likes Ex-Aid turned me on to how the second half of Drive treated its female characters kind of horribly, not just Kiriko but Rinna being mocked harder for being unmarried, which I'll keep in mind if I ever actually tell anyone irl I watch Toku.

I think the best is to just watch Jetman yourself and make your own judgment. I'm only on episode 16 and might return at some point, and mostly thought its trespasses were amusing. I'm not watching it with kids and for the bus episode alone I wouldn't show it to them. Maybe I'm treating it like an [adult swim] sentai though I'm not sure my appreciation is all ironic. It feels very unfiltered and like it's making mistakes and sometimes a children's show becoming an 80's horror movie and then remembering it's a children's show before the episode ends like an internet creepypasta, which is the kind of thing in toku I'm into.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Xelkelvos posted:

It's very much :japan: and it's very baked into the stereotypes and culture. Not mocking her would practically be atypical for a Japanese series. It's lovely. No doubt. But that's mainstream :japan: culture. It's not an excuse, but that's the social context it exists in and most of the media there will continue to portray it as it slowly shifts towards it being socially acceptable for a woman to not be married by the age of 30. As far as shafting the female characters, it's basically a bit like fridging in that it's a cheap way to generate character drama or upping the stakes without actually affecting the cast members who are actually selling the product. The fact that Poppy and Nico could actually contribute to fights was a step up from Drive and Ghost, though Gaim had that previously with Yoko. It's definitely been improving, albeit, slowly.

Yeah usually I don't evaluate things by female character use and I like drive, I think I might just hold off recommending it if I'm ever to recommend a series and find out how much who I'm talking to projects on to female characters. Even if it's a Japan thing there's other series that do a better job with them like Agito.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
LAZER got his gashat from blackmail, I like to think that Dan gave him the one that turned him into bike out of spite.

They'd be able to do more if they were able to do more bike scenes these days in general, I've heard that Japanese road laws prevent them from filming bike stunts anymore except in a very limited fashion.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Has RTA said anything

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Waffleman_ posted:

HOW WERE THEY PLAYING TEKKEN 7 IN 2011?!

Like, the Wonderswan made sense for the time period of that flashback!

Ex aid's video game tech is ahead of ours, the key is that out mediums don't have a button to sing the games title or shout WATCHA NAME when you put it in the machine.

Mighty action x is actually the future of games

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Masamune is a terrible capitalist who even refers to his own son by which of his products he uses, Dan is a self obsessed game dev.

Also I thought masamune at the least stayed a threat and caused more problems than, say, the loving ganmizers but that's a low bar... But the freshest one in my mind.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

M.Matsuda posted:

well time to go continue yelling into to the void about Ex Aid, and jeeze they cut Kiriya from the OP. :(
edit: i finally remember why you all love Hiiro saying Poppy's full name :allears:
also Now Emu's even fighting Himself. everyone continues to suck at Co-op i see :allears:
Edit: Kuroto can't stand fangames huh. -insert old and obvious nintendo joke here-
Edit: oh my god. Hiiro's gonna Full on CURE A MAN'S TERMINAL CANCER :allears: Truly there is Nothing he cannot cut :allears:

Ex-Aid Haters, such as Heat from Over-Time, have repeatedly complained about the medical drama aspect being unrealistic and cited that last point.
I don't know what they expect. Even most cop shows and crime dramas get most of the real-life aspects completely wrong. And the Doctors thing is a side plot here and are not really the main thrust of the show.

One thing about the first 12 vs rest of the series is that there does seem to be some research being done in the background of what a Doctor's job is like. I don't remember examples, but Hiiro says/does some dumb poo poo the first twelve episodes that go against his principles in later episodes that make one wonder if the writers know what Doctors do. But the medical aspects do improve between the first episodes and That Surgery and actually continue to improve.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I think Heat shittalked it on Twitter once or twice. He doesn't represent the entire group, though.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Have you watched the full series yet.

Reach the final episode before declaring it good or bad.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Kyuranger is kind of interesting. Despite the characters being goofier than ever and the sets being more colorful, this is the closest they've been to military since go buster, given that they are part of the rebellion and have military ranks and functions.

Quite the change from zyuohger where they lived in a shack in the woods and had no equipment like large mech storage, radars, or road vehicles. Just some cubes.
It wasn't even THEIR shack, they just roomed there and had to pretend they were normal to the shack's owner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

I prefer burkion's or pmush's
I'd rather the title not get tied to a current season that only started again.

• Locked thread