Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Burkion posted:

Gaim is frustrating because it's the series that wanted to do the most with its writing but got screwed by both numerous tie ins that halted the story, general breaks, and toys overriding logical story structure.

And a really terrible tacked on epilogue.

Epilogue notwithstanding, I liked Gaim's ending alright. It was fitting when you consider that Gaim is essentially a Shin Megami Tensei storyline in Kamen Rider Form, complete with NPC Law and Chaos heroes who both get hosed way over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Blaze Dragon posted:

To be fair, how many Kamen Riders can one really say had good endings?

Fourze

Hahaha wow. I somehow managed to miss that entire plot point in the shuffle. Can I chalk that up to bad TV-N subs, or am I incredibly dense?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Blaze Dragon posted:

I love when there's an actual explanation of why the heroes don't get attacked while transforming.

Super Sentai's been getting really good about that lately. A lot of the time the monster will launch an attack at them, and it just gets repelled by their energy vortex, or they otherwise jump out of the flames unscathed. It's a lot better than the old "monster stands around and waits for the stock footage to finish".

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

drrockso20 posted:

I'm surprised no one's made any jokes yet about one of the villains looking like Narutaki's Hillbilly/British cousin(seriously seeing that guy's teeth made my mouth hurt)

I'm glad we have a spooky night-time Narutaki.

I thought it was an okay first episode. They didn't really sell the "this is my first time at the Rodeo" thing as well as they did in Den-O, but I got a good idea of the show's concepts and I'm interested in seeing more. I'm guessing he's gonna be earning new forms via events that are combination rushed history lesson / shonen soul-searching, which is kinda cool.

I like the Sage, who only sounds important when he's trying to, and I also still like the Ghost of Ticket.

I think his transitional half-transformation with the glowy skeleton bits is really cool, too.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Serious Frolicking posted:

Yeah, I like the visual effects a lot. I'm not so sure about the two people so dedicated to their gimmicks that they completely forgot their friend had just died, though.

I hope they get into little "weird facts of ghost life" for Takeru. I noticed his shoes materialized when he took them off to go inside. I wonder if he's gonna spend a couple episodes getting lessons from Sage and Ticket about the proper method of walking through solid objects and stuff.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

mikeycp posted:

Boukenger also has a pretty dope theme song.

The whole Bouken soundtrack is rad as gently caress. I liked it so much I imported the CDs back in the day. Those robot themes!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Larryb posted:

Ghost's Blank Form (The form he reverts to when not using an eyecon, don't know if there's a proper name for it)

I lobby to just start calling it Plat Form, like in Den-O.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Much like the majority of historical heroes, I'd wager Musashi was probably also a lunatic weirdo, if he really killed 100 dudes in one sitting.

Looking forward to Edison Form electrocuting an elephant kaijin.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

boom boom boom posted:

goofy talking belt

You missed out. The belt was like probably the fourth best character on that show. Both secondary riders were rad as hell.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Wasn't there a Robin Hood, too? I hope we get more of "what do the Japanese think about British people".

The pride of every Englishman is his lawnmower :allears:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Kouta's problem was that he fundamentally didn't trust people enough to confide in them. So, he did the lone tormented hero thing for most of the show when he really didn't have to. He was willing to cooperate during fights, but the idea of letting anyone know what was bothering him never really came up. And man, did Kouta ever have a lot of stuff bothering him.

A lot of Kouta's bullshit stemmed from a weird lone martyr complex, which I can't decide whether it's paternalistic or self-deprecating in nature. Either he feels the need to protect people from hurtful truths that he feels they shouldn't need to know, or he doesn't want to make a fuss and bother everybody. He's so wishy-washy about it that it's hard to tell which one it is.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Quincytbb posted:

So the new episode of Ghost is out I love how stylish his suit design is so far, Its still a little bit annoying how Akari still denies that Ganma exists but the preview seems to show that she gets over her skepticism so I'm not that upset. I love the little details so far, like how ghost's base form without a hoodie is really similar to a base Ganma, and how the suped up Ganma sheds a hoodie when its destroyed.

Yeah, I like those details a lot, too. It's cool when the Rider is clearly drawing from the same source of power as his villains.

I think they're saving Akari's "coming around to reality" moment for like when something extra hosed-up happens like 10 episodes down the line when we get the secondary rider, or the first power-up form, or something. I'm guessing Takeru's friends will get pulled into the Ganma dimension or something similarly serious. At the very least, she'll be able to shift over to, "oh, ghosts are just extradimensional life forms".

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Xelkelvos posted:

The substance might not all be there yet so it's not clear if we're getting Wizard or Fourze yet at this point. Also, for the next Eyecon I don't think Robin Hood is a real person so how can there be a ghost of a fictional character/myth/legend?

There's a lot of debate over whether he's entirely fictional, or based on a real person, kind of like King Arthur. Like any other incongruities, if you don't like it then you can blame Decade.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Literally The Worst posted:

because it's a goddamn superhero show

This is also Decade's fault :argh:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Flameingblack posted:

The way Ghost's forms are looking it's like it's leaning towards Wizard's four base forms, then upgrades for them so they're just rushing through them as quickly as possible. Fourze had new forms or a new weapon pretty much every episode and the pacing was still a thousand times better than this.

It kind of seems like the current pacing has him becoming human again by episode 15 or 20, but I have a feeling they'll throw some kind of wrench into the works where at least one of those souls is already being worn by some kind of super Ganma, or it takes him until the penultimate episode to realize that the 15th heroic soul is himself, or some poo poo.

If it's a proper Kamen Rider ending, he'll blow his wish on saving the world, and permanently transform into a CGI hoodie.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I want a Hunting Action kamen rider. Like, where all his forms and upgrades are made out of salvaged kaijin parts, and he's just kind of a blue collar type of dude who slays monsters professionally. Like if Hibiki and Ultraman X combined.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Pyroi posted:

They're going to get 14 eyecons and then spend the next 30-something episodes looking for number 15.

I'm sticking to my guns that they're gonna figure out in like the penultimate episode that the 15th Heroic Soul is Takeru, who is extra special because he burned brightest after dying.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I finally started catching up on NinNinjer after a few weeks of ignoring it. Episode 31 is pretty fun, but I'm disappointed that they skipped the potential joke of "Nagi has no specialty to steal". I like Machine Kyuubi's design, though. It is straight-up a gundam.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Acne Rain posted:

My own suspicion is that the show will get interesting when around episode 20 to 30 ghost gets all the eyecons, but gramps does a heel turn.

Former is just continuing what seemed to be a trend when I was watching other recent series, latter is a shot in the dark I feel fairly confident about.

Didn't he summon the ghost of Ticket, though? I don't want Ticket to do a heel turn :ohdear:

Gramps turning evil would be a pretty good twist, though. Thinking about it, I think there's a pretty good probability of "Gramps was working for Ganma all along" or "Gramps was instrumental in creating or discovering the Ganma, and feels bad about it", though the latter is maybe too similar to Mr. Belt.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Some Numbers posted:

Man, I totally forgot about that. That was TERRIBLE.

Yeah... I'd be a lot happier with a passable CGI Ghost, maybe masked a bit with particle effects and poo poo, really whipping around and doing sick action moves in the air. Awkward wire harness Ghost brushing up against the badguy is really not the way to go.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Acne Rain posted:

Ticket ghost wanted to just watch the girl die to get the toy eyeball, all gramps has loving done is send ghost to get more toy eyeballs and hasn't given any pep talks or anything and has actively evaded giving any reasons for anything. At this point I'll be disappointed if they're playing "eccentric mentor + naive student" straight, because like people have said there's a lot of punch missing from this poo poo otherwise.

Kamen Rider often has some kind of self hatred going on with its collectables since the theme is that they use the power of evil. W they abstract things they wanted kids to buy were actively DRUGS, OOO they were from creatures literally called Greeeeds, Gaim they were from a Hell Forest and used to shift blame from an inevitable end of the world onto innocent bystanders... it would be neat if there was some judgement cast on collecting toy eyeballs too. There has to be something to, this season, the rider seeming to be the same exact thing as a monster of the week.

And so many questions seem to be brought up and begging the viewer to wonder about them (who's bad teeth guy, what's with the monolith, etc) that I doubt they don't intentionally want the sage to at least look sketchy.

Bottom line either sage is an rear end in a top hat or this series sucks.

This is a good and articulate post, and now I hope that's the direction we get, too. I'll still be real sad about Ticket :ohdear:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dexie posted:

I tapped out of Ninninger pretty early on, but...

http://ukiyaseed.weebly.com/ukiyaseeds-other-blog/tsubasa-ozumagiyellow-to-appear-in-ninninger

poo poo. I guess I'll be watching in November.

Magiranger is my favorite sentai so I'm kind of hyped about this.

I'm really glad they're following through with the "Yakumo went to magic school for reals you guys" story hook finally, but I'm sad that we're not getting MagiGreen, The Best Magiranger, instead.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Yugioh was so cool before they started relying entirely on that card game :negative:

Every chapter was like a hosed-up Twilight Zone where Yami basically rigged a game in order to plunge an rear end in a top hat with a gambling problem into an ironic hell dimension of his own choosing.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Zedd posted:

Well maybe netflix let's them go wild with Fred Dominick "Free Dom" Mc'EagleTexas the most :911: 6th ranger to ever promote :911:Freedom:911: and :911:liberty:911:

Completely, unironically, this. If Power Rangers-Version Starninjer isn't called Rodeo Ranger and just non-stop, level 11 :911:/:clint: every second of every episode, then I don't even know what Saban thinks they're doing with their lives.

Like, I want all his scenes to turn into loving musicals from the second he morphs, where a crazy fiddle kicks in and he just starts barking out his lines like a Barn Dance MC. "Oooooh swing that saber do-si-do! Round and round and round it goes!"

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Poison Mushroom posted:

Is there any way to get less Decade? Like, erase it from my mind?

Nope. This is also Decade's fault.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Waffleman_ posted:

Cover yourself in every post-W belt and become Neo-Decade.

This would be an amazing stupid thing for them to do in a movie. Kamen Rider Neo-Decade, who crosses the multiverse to battle Neo-Dai-Gelshocker. He's wearing a belt on each limb, and a couple belts on his waist/torso, plus his own Neo-DecaDriver, also on his waist.

At one point Tsukasa shows up and everybody refers to him as "Decade Ichigo" as though it was always a thing.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Xelkelvos posted:

Ninnin's improving little by little. Kudos to whomever put in Thunderstruck as the special attack name. Also Star's actor doesn't look half bad with that eyeliner

From this post, I thought werewolf power was gonna turn Kinji into some kind of amazing goth cowboy when he's not in the suit :negative:

This was a pretty good episode, but I'm annoyed that Kinji's new weapon has callout sounds that validate Takaharu's catch phrase. It was also cool to see Kyuuemon lose his composure for once.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Acne Rain posted:

So are the bands that do music for sentais and riders like, popular or listened to in the country, or are they more equivalent to Stan Bush or something.

Also what's with multiple series having people being uploaded or downloaded as "data". It happens so much that it's like an accepted rule of reality that people can be made of/turned into data.

I think it's a pretty common sci-fi trope. The entire basis of the transporters in Star Trek is that your body and mind are encoded into essentially a data structure while the machine disassembles you into component particles, which is then used to reassemble you at your destination. I can remember in an anecdotal way at least one episode that implies that the person being teleported remains conscious while in this state, as well. It's also the basis of most ideas of technological singularity, although you typically don't bring your meat body with you in that case.

I think for the sake of TV, it paints an easier-to-understand "this is a crisis" situation when you show everybody panicking while they dissolve into glowing math. Like, if you just show 40 extras flopping over like Phillip does when W transforms, then you have to also take the time to explain that, "No, see this is actually existentially terrifying for them. There's some real Cronenburg poo poo happening inside that supercomputer right now."

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I liked Magiranger a lot. It sat on the edge of campy and serious in a pretty good way, and I loved almost every character, including both lovely puppets and like most of the bad guys. Kickass giant robot music for both their regular one, and the later upgraded one that they get, and also good music in general.

The last episode felt kind of rushed, but I forgive it because it features one of the more ridiculous "henshin parade" mass roll-calls out of like the entire run of Super Sentai, with special guest appearance from Soga Machiko (RIP).

If it feels like a weird Harry Potter Cash-In, that's because it was 2005 and the world was gripped by Wizard Fever. It diverges pretty quickly from "let's learn how to wizard", and moves more into "these siblings are all crazy people, here is a day in the life" type of plots, where a lot of fun character driven stuff happens until the monster shows up, or in response to what the monster did.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Reds posted:

Ryoutarou was incredibly wimpy but he wasn't really a coward after the first couple of episodes.

Also, Den-o is being subbed by Orangelion now! Slowly! Painfully slowly! But it's good and you should watch it when the subs are complete.

I'd go as far as to say Ryoutarou was not ever cowardly. He was really ineffectual in Plat Form and running away from the monster, but he still went in to try and fight it. He also never really backed away from all the weird investigation and possession bullshit that he had to deal with. He just had no fighting skills until causality broke and he had to start using the (insanely strong anyway) Liner Form.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
My only real issue with Ghost is that he's the least proactive Rider of all time. He's supposed to be looking for heroic Eyecons on a pretty gross time limit, right? Instead, he sits around for weeks until somebody shows up at his house with a ghost problem, and fights a Ganma, which by sheer coincidence ends up summoning a Heroic Soul.

Speaking of Heroic Souls, do we know what his Super Form is yet? I feel like it would be somehow appropriate for it to be Xuanzang or some other legendary demon wrangler.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm sure the endgame involves Ticket absorbing 15 Eyecons and transforming into some kind of rude upgrade, but I would also accept some twist that involves Ticket transforming into some kind of henshin device for Onari to create the ultimate Joke Rider.

Please turn Ticket into a henshin device for somebody, Toei :pray:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

I would like it if she did any of it. But Ghost is magic-based (or maybe extradimensional science, who knows?), and Akari isn't a magician. She tried to do one science thing and wasn't up to the task. Maybe that will change in the future, but for now it is more of a character quirk than a useful ability.

I think Ghost is going for a "magic is science we don't understand" thing. Evil BadTeeth had a tech version of the Ghost Monolith in that flashback, and he has a bunch of electronic poo poo in his Magical Murder Bag that can forcibly transform a soul into an Eyecon, but also drawing a giant eyeball can make a hole in dimensions and levitate a city block.

I do think the lantern totally undermined Akari's achievement as a character, though, and that's pretty lovely. Maybe Onari will carry the lantern in the future, so they both have a ghost-revealing device? I hope so.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
The best part of the new Ninninjer was when Kinji was wearing plain gray socks, and Nagi was wearing USA Flag socks. I don't know why, but I thought that was hilarious.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Elfgames posted:

they still have to collect them from the badguys and OOO was no worse off for having all the medals be in someones possesion from the start.

at least the little weapon thingies are useful remember burgermeals or candroids or golems, hell even psudomemories were practically useless.

Burgermeal was so crass and toyetic :allears:
It was like designed by a boardroom to go into a Happy Meal.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Acne Rain posted:

the robot is also shown at https://animalsentai.tumblr.com and its even more children's toy looking than toq oh but it's also hilariously cuuuuuuute.

it's three colorful animal faced blocks in a stack

I'm getting a Go-Onger vibe from this. Please let this be another Go-Onger :allears:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
They better capitalize on this cube thing with some kind of insane DICE-OH expansion where you physically roll them on the arcade cabinet, which uses some Skylanders poo poo to know what the outcome was.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Burkion posted:

From what little I saw of Ghost, trust me, it's got nothing to do with Japanese supernatural mythology.

I like how hosed Japan got on the "recognizable historical heroes" portion of their own TV show. It's like a who's who of people Americans might recognize from Elementary School, plus Musashi and Nobunaga.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Expired Ticket

I just wanna say, I'm really glad we're referring to Yurusen as "Expired Ticket".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
It's just gonna be the last episode of Magiranger again if we get somebody's mom involved :v:

• Locked thread