Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I dropped Ninninger at around 20 but I'd gladly go back and watch all of it if Katsumi gets to be the Last Ninja.

Also I don't care if Takaharu is some meta-commentary on Reds. He's still a lovely as hell pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Kyoryuger is the better starting Sentai, actually. Its disappointing ending allows for the sheer wonderfulness that is Shinkenger's endgame to be more fully appreciated.

Also, I never have to watch TV-N again.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Zyuranger is actually bad though, unless you really like child actors.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Acne Rain posted:

Kamen Rider often has some kind of self hatred going on with its collectables since the theme is that they use the power of evil. W they abstract things they wanted kids to buy were actively DRUGS,
No, no. They're only drugs if you SHARE them with your friends. If they all buy their own it's okay! :v:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Okay, I know this is going to get me torn a new rear end in a top hat, but honestly, and it may just be natural favoritism towards the version I experienced Shinkenger with for the first time, but I honestly think TV-N's version of SHINKENGER ENDGAME SPOILERS DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT WATCHED IT HOLY poo poo Takeru's belief that "he's nothing" holds more emotional power than OT's "He has nothing." It's a subtle but important distinction that I think really goes a long way in selling Takeru basically having a loving death wish that's based primarily in self-loathing. I'm aware that translation is a factor but honestly with OT's penchant for character writing and localization I feel that saying "That's not what they're saying at all TV-N's translation is bullshit" on such a nuanced distinction is not really a compelling argument.

I dunno, maybe TV-N's overly literal dialogue feels like a better fit to me at certain moments because of Shinkenger's love of theatrics (down to having kabuki stagehands as recurring characters).

Like I'm glad we translated attack names and got rid of Takeru going "Truth...my..." at THE pivotal moment of his arc, and of loving course I'm never gonna recommend TV-N to anyone, but poo poo, I just feel like a part of the story TV-N told me there was has been lost, and goddammit I actually liked a small but significant part of that invented story.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Tran posted:

Softsubs dude. Softsubs.
euuuuurrgghhhh :effort:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Take a shot everytime Gaoranger uses a CGI shot of a Power Animal they've already used before. Megazord formation doesn't count, obviously.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Jetman had that episode with the bus that made people kill themselves which was awesome.

Also the final battle was awesome and ULTIMATE ENDING SPOILER DON'T READ UNLESS YOU'VE SEEN JETMAN OR GOKAIGERGai's death is a really great message on how life is really loving fragile and can be extinguished at random and the ultimate victory is to be lucky/determined enough to have our final moments be filled with peace and meaning.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Also I watched the first two episodes of Liveman and thought they were awful ("WE HATE GOOD SCIENCE! SCIENCE SHOULD BE USED FOR EVIL!" "Friends, why did you betray us? :saddowns:") except for the part where the Lion robot runs dramatically through the enemy's attack in its first appearance... and it cuts to the cockpit and everything's on fire and Yellow Lion is screaming hysterically. That poo poo was great.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like Timeranger gets left out of these discussions, which is bad because the Timeranger suits are Really Good.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This is also the first time a Green, and White have been on the same team (not counting JAKQ because Big One is not at all a traditional White Ranger.) This after Ninninger was the first team to have Pink and White.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

FortMax posted:

Changeman has pink and white.

Magiranger.
Right, crap. A Yellow, Pink, and White, then. Red and Blue are in every Sentai, Yellow's in nearly all of them, but I forgot Changeman was an exception.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Merry Christmas, gently caress Ninninger.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 25, 2015

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
There are other colors.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Actually wait yeah Kyuuemon being Gengetsu's son is basically the turd on the poo poo sundae for Ninninger.

...how'd toy sales go this year?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The first duel between Takeru and Juuzo in Shinkenger is amazing, as is the fight between Hiromu and Enter in Go-Busters when Hiromu tries to take him down one on one after the big reveal in the endgame.

Also the final Goseiger battle is pretty great.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Shinkenger, Goseiger, Gokaiger, and Go-Busters all have some of the best final battles, in terms of action alone, in the franchise (I watched all of them five years ago on YouTube before they were taken down for copyright), which makes it a real shame that Kyoryuger and ToQger went with "RED GETS ALL THE CREDIT! SOLO SHOT!" and Ninninger is probably gonna do the same thing :(.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
God I hope things are better in a month, I really do.

Please let Sentai be good again.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Acne Rain posted:

I wonder if the promo for zyuohger with rangers going shopping and bowling and poo poo is to try to appeal to viewers who were turned off of ninninger's red focus and the cast's general lack of camaraderie.

It's certainly gets across that the next series is not ninninger.
On the other hand, Red being the only actual human of the group guarantees he's gonna have heavy focus.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Please let Juohger be good.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

Ninninger has one more episode left.
I mean it has two if you wait on subs, but why would you wait on subs when the only thing theoretically worth caring about with Ninninger is the fight scenes?

Even ToQger, which I will never watch all the way through because I hate the core team, had a really loving cool villain in Zed.

I would watch the poo poo out of a Villains edit of ToQger.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 1, 2016

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Needs to be in a TV-N font.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
If you were hoping Ninninger at least had a good final battle, boy do I have bad news for you.

It wasn't a solo job by Takaharu, but still managed to be worse than both Kyoryuger and ToQger.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't seen Wizard, but I would call Ninninger "actually terrible." What I've seen of it makes me think it's worse than Gekiranger, which is the TV Tropes Sentai.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

John McClane posted:

Reports are saying that Ninnin will have the worst sales since Timeranger.

And nobody shed a single tear.
The V-Rex is loving awesome though.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The first episode of Kyoryuger didn't really grab me either, and that show ended up being amazing.
I'm seeing potential here.

I hope Green's "I'm kind of a dick" thing lasts longer than three episodes, and I hope Red isn't a 100% Great Guy All The TIme because that's a boring character.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

deadly_pudding posted:

Every single recurring character in ToQ was a precious cinnamon roll, too pure for this world :colbert:

On the other hand, I also loved Go-Onger, so ymmv.
Hiramechamedes is unironically an amazing character, and for him alone Go-Onger is worth it.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

mikeycp posted:

Regardless of which is more red-centric, in no way is ninnin better than trainger.

Ninninger has better suits and mechs.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Za Warudo is pretty loving cool. Always good to see an evil Ranger.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Late, but the best Sentai Watching Order is

Kyoryuger, Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Akibaranger, Go-Busters

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I want the birdman to be the final boss so we can have a final battle with some goddamn fight choreography for once.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Xelkelvos posted:

I hope the 3000th episode thing is actually followed up on and not just a gag.
That's literally in 20 years though.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
A nine-man team sounds amazing and I hope they're all in every episode.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Okay so I check in on Sentai every time the endgame starts and holy gently caress is Zyuohger always this good?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Haha wait, has Genis known this whole time that taking Azald to this planet would end up unleashing his true form? Because that's exactly the kind of bullshit I love.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Shinkenger's transformation phrase is "Imperial Report!" but one of the core messages of the show is that you are more than the life you have to give in the name of duty. Go-Busters, the only Sentai of the last decade where the team is obviously funded by the government, ends with the message "The key difference between us and the enemy is that we depend on our allies beyond seeing them as disposable tools" which can be read as a damning critique of military culture.
Hell, even Dekaranger, a show about making police militarization cool to children if ever there was one, stresses literally every week that the monster cannot be killed without authorization from a court that is implied to be omniscient.

gently caress Whitey posted:

It's worth pointing out also that were comparing media targeted at different audiences

Like Attack on Titan is aimed at tweens at the youngest, Sentai is aimed at tweens at the oldest
Phase one of nationalism is to get em while they're young, though.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 28, 2017

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Kyuurangers 2nd Quarter Toy scans are on jefusion and probably everywhere else and holy poo poo the mecha are extremely the poo poo I would need to have as a kid.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Kyuuranger's first episode is a goddamn mess.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Hemingway To Go! posted:

look for the geki-senshi subs of gekiranger instead of tv-nihon's then and don't hold bad subtitles against a series.
I watched the Geki-senshi subs and guess what? Jan's dialogue is still poo poo and awful.
Gekiranger is like if TV Tropes wrote a Sentai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Not a bad premiere, though I'm a bit worried that Lucky might turn into another Daigo/Takaharu (that is, having the show start revolving soley around him to the detriment of the rest of his team).

It is interesting to see a Sentai that doesn't start on Earth for a change (in fact, Earth hasn't even been mentioned yet though I'm sure they'll probably end up going there eventually). But overall yeah, this show definitely has me interested so far, hope it keeps up this way.
I say this every time somebody compares Daigo to Takaharu because it's really important.
Daigo was undoubtedly overfocused on in Kyoryuger, but as a character he was a natural leader who brought out the best in his team and truly appreciated, respected, and had faith in them and never not once acted like he was better than them.
Takaharu is a spoiled poo poo who has raw talent and that's it. He constantly has to be told that he can't just do everything himself, even though he usually does. He's incredibly dense and has his head so far up his rear end that he can't see that he's always acting like he's an absolute jerk. And in the world of the show, that's fine. Takaharu is just better, and he never goes through an arc to learn humility.

• Locked thread