Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I like Ghost so far, Takeru kind of reminds me of a slightly more confident version of Ryotaro from Den-O and I absolutely love Yurusen. Hopefully Araki's skepticism will at least lessen a bit as the series goes on as it seems like her constantly denying everything would get annoying after a while. I also really like the look of Ghost's Blank Form (The form he reverts to when not using an eyecon, don't know if there's a proper name for it) and hope it gets a bit more screen time eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

I lobby to just start calling it Plat Form, like in Den-O.

I just looked it up, apparently it's called Transient Soul and, like Kuuga's Growing Form, I kind of like it a little better than Ghost's base form (which isn't bad mind you, it certainly looks better in action than it does in pictures).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 6, 2015

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

For people like me who have seen no toku at all outside of Power Rangers when you're a kid, if you're wondering what to watch, watch Gokaiger

It's cool and good, and they are space pirates (which is awesome) who can transform into all the other Power Rangers (which is awesome).

Unlike Decade, you can go into Gokaiger blind and still be able to enjoy it fairly well. However, it's a lot better if you watch it after having seen at least a few of the series' it's paying homage to first. It also kind of spoils two major things from Shinkenger and Jetman, though to be fair it does it in a way that you wouldn't really know they were spoilers unless you'd seen those series yourself.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ignis posted:

Who cares about Ghost, After V is the poo poo :colbert: Oh and there's an emergency I guess.

Also, the poster for the new annual movie crossover came out, and it's magical:

Also, based on summaries I've seen it looks like this Movie Wars will be more akin to a Sentai VS movie (as in, one continuous story involving both riders) rather than the 3 act structure of past movies.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Stallion Cabana posted:

Someone make Ghost slow down please. I can't handle this pacing.

Secondary Rider in Episode 4? I'd get it if this was going to be a Gaim situation but it doesn't look like it is.

Not counting shows that had ended up with a bunch of Riders like Ryuki and Gaim or ones that started with two or more Riders (or Rider-like characters) like Blade and Stronger, is this the quickest we've ever been introduced to the secondary Rider on a show?

Edit: Oh wait nevermind, forgot about Ibuki from Hibiki and IXA from Kiva who were also introduced roughly around this time. It still feels a bit too soon to me though, they could have at least waited until around the 6-10 episode mark to bring him in.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 27, 2015

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

Agito is fine but introduces us to the world of Inoue and all of his writing gimmicks for better and worse, and often the fight scenes REALLY suffered, being shoved to the end of an episode and then ending abruptly.

Though to be fair, Kuuga did that too at times. In fact, Kuuga's finale is (I believe) the only episode in the entire franchise where a Kamen Rider makes no appearance whatsoever.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

See, here's the difference. Kuuga did that every now and again, yes, though often it was in the build up to a much bigger fight- Agito does it on a pretty regular basis, at the last two minutes, and then resolves it in the opening of the next episode really fast. If it bothers to. Some times it just forgets the fights happened.

Also, the fact that Kuuga did not appear in the finale is entirely story related and quite appropriate. I don't know why you would even want Kuuga to be in the finale. It was more of an epilogue anyways.

Didn't say I did, Kuuga actually had one of the better endings as far as Rider series' go (not to mention one of the most brutal final fights, ending with the Grongi leader and Kuuga wailing on each other in human form while Godai just breaks down entirely. Throughout the entire fight the Leader is laughing while Godai is crying, it's actually kind of unsettling to be honest, though in a good way), in fact I'd kind of like to see them try an entirely Riderless episode again one of these days. I was just saying that that's pretty much the way they handled the fights in the early Heisei era until Ryuki came along, I will agree that Kuuga handled it better than Agito did at least.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 28, 2015

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

Why does anyone still let him near television scripts?

A better question would be, why is this man writing for children's television in the first place? Also, I know Japan has different censorship standards than we do but how exactly did a novelization of a kid's show that contains a rape scene get published to begin with? I haven't actually read it myself (are there even english translations for the Kamen Rider novels available?) so I don't know exactly how explicit it was but it still strikes me as a terrible idea.

After all, even with those restraints Kusaka was already bad enough in the series itself, coming off more as a primary antagonist rather than the Secondary Rider he was supposed to be (though to be fair, almost everyone in Faiz was a terrible person in some way. The only characters I really liked were the Orphenoch trio).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 29, 2015

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Son Ryo posted:

Decade had a Faiz that was worse than Faiz. That alone should be grounds for erasing it from existence.

I'm also a huge fan of the real Kuuga and not at all comfortable with the treatment Kuuga got in that show, but that's less important.

To its credit though, I did kind of like Decade's version of Hibiki better than the real one and thought the whole Kamen Rider Salaryman aspect of its Blade adaption was kind of neat (hell, I'd probably watch a whole show based on that concept). Kuuga I agree with you on though, especially since half the time he seemed to just forget he was a Kamen Rider himself. I think he only transformed like 5 or 6 times at the most in the entire series, movies included.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 31, 2015

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FortMax posted:

In the last week, I've gotten scripts for the rest of the episodes. Only thing I don't have yet is the movie.

Do you guys have any plans on picking Fiveman back up at some point?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

This is

EXACTLY

the quality of the last few episodes of the HK RX subs. They honestly made the entire show worth it.

Yeah, somewhere along the line they suddenly switched to translating the script from the Chinese dub of RX, hence the name changes. No idea why though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Basically, remember the repetitive narration in Dekaranger(it's the last episode, why are you still telling me how the Judgement Scanner works? By the way, did you know Jasmine was an ESPer)? That was pretty much done as a tribute to Gavan where, as I understand it, it's even worse.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 4, 2015

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

jivjov posted:

Crossposting this from my Power Rangers thread:

Power Rangers Shuriken comes exclusively to Netflix in 2017

So Power Rangers is becoming a Netflix-exclusive show, and they're not making a ToQger adaptation. Not a fan of this news...

This rumor has now been confirmed as fake:

http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/power-rangers/250290/power-rangers-is-not-moving-to-netflix

Most likely we won't find out what's really happening after Dino Charge until some time next year.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Literally The Worst posted:

we have this discussion everytime it gets mentioned and i think the answer is "yes but he's actually got someone working with him to make it not poo poo"

Exactly. He's been working with an actual translator since the group was offically formed (said translator as I understand it has also worked with groups such as GUIS and Hikari-Senshi) so however bad the Gekiranger scrubs were, there is nothing objectively wrong with their Abaranger or GoGoV subs so if you want to check those series' out watching the IS subs isn't the worst option you could take (in fact, they're pretty much in the same style as Overtime's subs, albeit to a slightly lesser extent).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 15, 2015

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This week's Ninninger wasn't too bad though based on the previous crossovers I was kind of hoping Tsubasa would get more than just a brief cameo. Speaking of which, based on recent scans it looks like the next Sentai/Tokusatsu alumni to appear will be Shurikenger from Hurricanger (the orginal one, not the kid from the 10 Years After movie).

With all the various crossovers currently happening in Ninninger so far it makes me think that Toei might just be getting the whole anniversary celebration stuff out of the way early and Juuouger will be a more self-contained season like Gaoranger was with a Vs Super Sentai movie included to handle the anniversary aspect. Honestly I'd be fine with that, they don't need to go Gokaiger-level big again until at least the 50th anniversary.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 25, 2015

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FortMax posted:

We're doing Changeman and Flashman after we get the remaining Bioman episodes out.

Weren't you guys also working on Fiveman at some point? Any plans on starting that back up?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

The saddest truth. Kiriko was basically perfect Rider material in Drive, but all they gave her was a gun and special shoes which is more than more female characters get in a Rider series, but still.

Both of which just kind of dissapeared not long after their introduction. Which is too bad because while I kind of liked Kiriko at first but her character was just really mishandled during the course of the series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Juuouger suits finally revealed

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 7, 2015

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

My only real problem with them, outside of the beak design on Red and maybe the white spots on Blue, is that they look like they're wearing t-shirts with generic animal faces printed on them.

I agree on the suits themselves but the helmets are pretty neat, also I believe this is the first time we've had a Green and a White Ranger together as part of the core team.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cleaner Juuouger scans:

They morph with cubes this time apparently, well it's an original idea at least. I actually don't mind the mechs all that much, they seem like an expansion on the Origami from Shinkenger. Also, like was the case with ToQ-Oh, I'm guessing the Megazord will look much better in the show itself than it does in the toyline.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 8, 2015

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This is also the first time a Green, and White have been on the same team (not counting JAKQ because Big One is not at all a traditional White Ranger.) This after Ninninger was the first team to have Pink and White.

Yeah, I don't count JAKQ in this regard as Big One always struck me more as being a prototypical "6th" ranger of sorts rather than part of the core team (In the sense that he joined late in the series and has a more stylized costume and a different transformation method than the main 4. I count Black Bison and Green Sai from Liveman as extra rangers in this regard too.) even though he's not officially counted as such.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 8, 2015

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Oh, right.

Rephrasing my original thought, is the first team of five since Jetman with two girls and no pink?

Yes it is, it's also the first female blue since Hurricanger (as well as the first female to have what's generally considered the "male" shade of blue since Liveman) and the first time we've had a male yellow two years in a row since Gaoranger-Hurricanger.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FortMax posted:

Changeman has pink and white.

Magiranger.

Oh yeah, not sure how I missed that. Alright, first female blue since Magiranger then.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 8, 2015

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Stallion Cabana posted:

I feel like the Magi color was lighter, but she was still Blue so.

Also I thought there was a black Gorilla ranger but they aren't in the scans. Is he the extra? I thought it was two teams of 3.

If there is, the animal design would have to be a different color as the standard one would be invisible on a black suit (same goes for the sash on a yellow Kyoryuger). It's also possible the Gorilla mech could just be rangerless like Carrigator and Jum-bowhale were in Go-Onger.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 8, 2015

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

So, Ninninger this week. I thought it was a bit weird how Mangetsu announced himself as the eldest son, since as far as we knew at that point he was an only child. Then Kyuuemon let slip that he's "Kibaoni" before destroying the machine, so I'm guessing he's actually Mangetsu's brother.

Either that or he's Gengetsu himself and has been pulling a long con all this time. Either way, unless the mask is the real Kyuuemon and he's been controlling Izayoi all this time ala Dogold I'm guessing that he was never human to begin with and only posed as such in order to get at the End Shuriken and steal Ninja Dad's nintality. Kyuuemon has been the only interesting thing about this season so far and I'm curious to see where this little revelation goes. Maybe we might at least get a decent ending to this series after all.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Right, crap. A Yellow, Pink, and White, then. Red and Blue are in every Sentai, Yellow's in nearly all of them, but I forgot Changeman was an exception.

I believe that JAKQ, Changeman and Kyoryuger are the only seasons not to have a Yellow Ranger. There will never be a Sentai without a Red but one without a Blue might be possible one day, probably unlikely though. What is the reason those two colors always seem to be mandatory anyway?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 9, 2015

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

V-Men posted:

It feels like it averages out to be forgettable. I can't believe it's up to episode 40 now when it feels like there's barely been 20 episodes of content.

Seriously, more often than not it seems like the plot is just spinning it's wheels only moving forward a little bit at a time. We're almost at the end of the series now but it feels more like it's somewhere in the middle. It's actually the opposite problem I had with Kyoryuger, there I felt the plot moved too fast while here it feels like it's barely moved at all. Like I said, hopefully we can at the very least get a decent ending out of this.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Stallion Cabana posted:

I brought this up before but no one really responded and I'm still not sure; like I get that this is a Japanese Kid's show, so I'm honestly curious what kids in Japan think of Ninninger. Like, do they enjoy Reds who are unequivocally the best at basically everything and who essentially do everything themselves? Like if that's the case then I can't really complain too much about Takaharu because that's what the target audience wants, but I feel like when I was a kid- not that I"m that old now but that I might be nostalgia glasses-, I liked it when it was more then one hero since my favorite usually wasn't the red or whatever.

I'd probably be less annoyed by Takaharu if he was acted better. Yeah, Daigo was pretty much the main focus of Kyoryuger at the expense of the others but you could at least tell the actor was having fun with the role. I'm not sure if Takaharu's actor had been in anything prior to this but it seems like he either has no idea what he's doing or isn't sure whether to take the material he's given seriously or not, I thought the same thing about the guy they got to play Amazon in Kamen Rider Decade.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

jivjov posted:

So I finished up After V Season 2 today...I wasn't really enjoying it as much as Season 1 up until the final episode, which was amazing.

I just recently got around to watching both seasons of After V and while it's great for what it is (kind of lampooning the tropes of the genre from a fan's perspective as I'm pretty sure Toei had nothing to do with the production of this) I kind of perfer Akibaranger a little more as that still actually tried to be a Sentai show of sorts in addition to being a parody.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Everything looks great to me so far. The 6th Ranger is probably gonna be Silver as that's been the case for every anniversary season so far since Gaoranger, but it would be nice if they decided to change it up a bit this year.

I'm also sort of curious how or if they'll handle the anniversary aspect this time around outside of the usual Vs. Super Sentai movie. Though that also means we're probably just going to get a few members of Ninninger showing up rather than a full team up (which I'd be fine with as long as said members are Kasumi and/or Kinji, though really anyone but Takaharu will do).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

I would just love to see Fujioka in the Rider suit sans helmet beating the poo poo out of dudes. That would be the best goddamn thing.

I just love everything about this so far. If we get, like, a final show down between him and the Great Leader, that would be perfect.

Also Shocker is a confusing mess of an organization. At this rate between the manga version, the OG Shocker, the Gel Shocker the Neo Shocker The Dai Shocker the Movie Shockers

Really they can do whatever the hell they want with it.

They'll probably just go with regular Shocker like usual. Also out of curiousity, where exactly did the Skull Suit grunts commanly associated with Shocker come from? As I seem to remember the grunts in the original Kamen Rider being red-suited men with no masks. In fact I don't remember any of the grunts in the Showa era Kamen Riders looking quite like that (though Destron from V3 is kind of close). Now admitedly I haven't seen the first series all the way through (just what's been subbed and the final episode) so correct me if I'm wrong.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Looks like we'll be getting a MidoNinger in this year's V-Cinema, and the first female Green at that (unless you wanna count Mele from Gekiranger). Apparently she's a new character named Luna Kokonoe and will be played by Megumi Han (Kyuemon's actress).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 7, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

jivjov posted:

So we may have gotten a look at next season's 6th:

That's a good looking suit, and it may be the first ranger that's more than one primary color. Apparently his name is ZyuOhTheWorld.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 8, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Stallion Cabana posted:

I am so glad Ninninger is over.

I am glad Overtime subbed it because they sure as hell didn't have to and it had some good parts but I am not in the least bit sad to see it leave.

the last episode is really the entire series in a nutshell: Interesting moments and ridiculous crazy stuff (In a good way) mostly covered by unsatisfying bits, poor character development that makes no sense, and pointless, toothless fights

Yeah, while the final arc was a slight improvement (and to be fair, I kind of liked most of the characters not named Takaharu, even if most of the villains were boring aside from Kyuemon) I'm not really going to miss these guys that much. In fact, for the first time I'm kind of hoping we don't get a proper teamup next season and they just do another Vs. Super Sentai instead.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 10, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well we've only had one episode so far and I'm already completely sold on this show (first time that's happened for me since Gokaiger). Even the suits and mechs look a lot better in motion than they did in the pictures/toys. I'm looking forward to seeing how things develop from here.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well at least Red's got a decent actor this time around and doesn't strike me as being that annoying of a character (kind of reminds me of a slightly clumsier version of GaoRed actually). So even if Zyuohger ends up becoming more Red-centric down the line at least he has the potential of being entertaining (kind of like how it was for Daigo in Kyoryuger).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Raserys posted:

It's not difficult to have more charisma than the nasally gently caress Takaharu, really the red centric nature of ninninger wouldn't have been half as bad if Takaharu didn't have by far the most annoying actor out of the family

In my opinion he was the worst actor I've seen in a toku show since that one guy they got to play Amazon in Kamen Rider Decade. Despite the fact he got the majority of the focus in the series I still like Daigo from Kyoryuger if only because you can tell the actor was clearly having fun with the role, if Takaharu had been half as energetic in his performance I'd probably have liked him a lot more.

I don't know if it was the guy's first time acting or if he didn't know whether or not to take the material he was given seriously or what, but it annoyed me (and to be fair, he was ok whenever he was just speaking normally but he couldn't seem to convey any other form of emotion to save his life). Why you would pick someone like that to play your Red Ranger (especially if you know he's going to get a lot of focus) is beyond me.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 16, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Raserys posted:

Watching the first episode, it really feels to me like they started out with a video game theme and changed to animals some time during development. I'm fine with it, though, since it means we'll get ZA WARUDO.

The idea of the villains this season essentially being a gang of intergalactic gamers amuses me for some reason. I like their designs as well even if the monster grower for this season (I think her name was Nera or something) looks like they just took the Akiba Yellow suit and modified it a bit(the head in particular looks nearly identical), adding a few bits from Insarn from Gokaiger on as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

It's pretty funny how Takeru doesn't even bother going into his base mode anymore ever since he received Tokon boost.

Yeah, it seems so far they're doing what they did with Kiva in that regard. Once Wataru got Emperor Form he almost never used his base form again for the rest of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Elfgames posted:

yeah but saban got rid of torrin and replaced him with...that thing.

They might still end up using him as there are apparently a pair of upcoming characters in Dino Charge named "Zenowing" and "Doomwing" which I'm assuming are the Power Rangers names for Torin and Mad Torin. Whether or not they'll keep him as Silver remains to be seen.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 11, 2016

• Locked thread