Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Caphi posted:

I thought Super Fighting Robot Jiro was a pretty good one-shot apart from having the worst possible timing. But our expectations may, at the time, have been biased by the TQG/Gaim special making us feel like no crossover could ever be good ever again.

You didn't like the Mole Beastman's top secret super duper evil henchman that he revived being his identical twin brother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

FortMax posted:

Nothing new. Hell, the Kakuranger movie lifted a bunch of model shots out of the first Zyuranger episode, Dekaranger reused Carranger Red Vehicle (trying to present Red Vehicle and Pat-Striker as the same thing) and there's one specific explosion shot that got used from Sharivan to PGSM and lots of stuff in between

Toku being cheap is one of my favorite things about it.

I loved in Kakuranger when they had a bunch of background Youkai who were either recycled suits from a few years ago or really stupid looking cyclops monsters with mohawks.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
If there's an episode with a boring rivalry due to misunderstandings and tepid drama stewing throughout the whole thing then there's a good chance Inoue wrote it.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Eponymous posted:

God drat, why do all the guys in Blade have almost identical haircuts, builds, and outfits? I really hope somebody gets an eyepatch or something, or I'll never tell these fools apart.

Coincidentally they all talk the same way too. Like complete dipshits.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Why is Sharivan wearing a Sharivan Halloween costume?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
A woman went on some Japanese variety show to do the poses of each Rider from Ichigo to Ghost. She's living the dream for us guys.

http://www.jefusion.com/2015/11/female-tv-guest-does-32-rider-henshin.html

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I just got the Dairanger DVD's and they look pretty sharp. Outside of the no special features and ugly early 90's subtitle font everything is good.

I mean it's no HikariSenshi but I guess it'll do.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

FortMax posted:

Kuuga's terrible CGI has never looked so good.

Why are you posting Beast Wars in the Toku thread?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

When people ask me how well Japan understands American culture I show them this clip.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

15 episodes into Zyuranger and it continues to be most excellent, Witch Bandora and the Dora Monsters are shaping up to be my favorite Sentai villains, and a serious competitor for favorite Toku villains(got some serious competition from the Kamen Rider side of things though)

I think there's something really smooth about the Dora Monster designs. Even Dora Franke who's nothing but a guy in a Frankenstein costume manages to look cool when he throws Daizyujin around.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
One of the options was Jam.

Who wouldn't want to see a movie about everyone's favorite character Kamen Rider Jam?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Dexie posted:

Meteor has the best belt voice though, so he has that going for him.

Plus, you know, he punches people with the planets.

Meteor rules.

I'm still salty that Meteor didn't get more planets in Meteor Storm. That or give him some kicking rad moon nunchucks instead of a Beyblade.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I was watching Zyuohger and is it just me or does the lady in the top of this screenshot look like one of the Gekiranger masters in drag?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Potsticker posted:

That's pretty impressive.

Here's a pic of my nephew playing with 2/3rds of my collection of toku toys.

Are you at all worried that your nephew has become a fanatic of justice and plans on murdering guilty animal monsters?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

gourdcaptain posted:

Shin just wants to be beloved by children, is that too much to ask? :P Shin is one of my favorite Rider movies for all the wrong reasons - the gloriously incomprehensible speech from the one crazy scientist about how grasshoppers are a true nation of telepathic warriors who will one day overthrow God never fails to make me laugh.

I think I've watched Shin maybe four times and I still don't know if I get what the gently caress is going on in that movie at all.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

It's been a pretty exciting couple of weeks for Toku, really. The Korean tokusatsu is just the cherry on the sundae. Seriously:

Dynaman started getting some serious subs,
New episodes of Gavan on Millionfold as well,

O-T gifting us with Amazon and continuing to do an exceptional job on Ghost, Zoo-ranger, and Time Ranger, then putting out ANOTHER series, with Makai Tales.

Then we had weeaboo shogun finish up Winspector, which is always exciting when subs for an entire series exists, and the promise of more of the metal hero rescue series to come. It's a really great time to be a tokusatsu fan.

Weeaboo Shogun was a big surprise. I usually expect this sub groups to drop out and disappear forever, but they actually finished Winspector really quickly all things considered.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Am I the only one really liking Zyuohger? It feels way better than Ninnin and Toq, outside of the ridiculous looking mecha.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Reading your posts on W is very entertaining nerdman42.

Remembering this makes me want to go back and watch all of those. They were amazing.

Yeah when it comes time to watch the movie of W (Around episode 44 iirc) make sure to watch the Net Movies first. They're silly little one offs with the actors dicking around doing silly things. They're the most charming thing imaginable.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

I'm not sure I ever watched these. Where can I find them?

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=separate&user=93569

Over-time's got it up on their page here.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

nerdman42 posted:

I've been told that Fourze has a lot of stuff I adore, so that's next on my list.

After that, I was debating checking out some pre-W stuff? Although I have no idea where to start.

I can only add in on shows I've watched, and my opinion doesn't represent the majority, but here goes.

Kuuga is good, maybe a little slow? Solid action and a really big supporting cast. It's sort of like W, but the police play a significantly larger role. Also if you like mass murder this show has you covered.

Agito feels like a natural progression from Kuuga, but it's absolutely not mandatory to view them in order. They technically take place in the same universe, but if you don't know that you'll barely notice. It's a show with a lot of emphasis on mystery, and it's fun watching all that poo poo unfold. The action is really solid, and the lead is a personal favorite of mine. He's really upbeat and positive about everything, and is the last person you'd expect to be kicking rear end. A little bit like Eiji I guess?

555 is a tough sell. It's a lot more focused on the ~drama~ of Rider shows. It's not an atrocious piece of poo poo, but it has an annoying habit of creating drama out of characters not loving talking to each other. It's one that I'd suggest trying a few episodes of before diving in whole hog. Though I'll be fair and say the designs of the Riders are really goddamned sleek.

Kabuto starts off with some of the smoothest action you'll ever see in a Toku series. Then it goes off the rails and fellates its protagonist for the entirety of the series. Characters will disappear and reappear without any warning, one set of Rider powers is introduced and basically forgotten entirely, and I'm pretty sure some guy turns into a villain for no reason other than "because we need one." It's a fascinating trainwreck to behold, and it's fun to watch the show try desperately to keep things together with how bad things are falling apart behind the scenes.

Den-O is easily the goofiest Rider series out there. It's lots of time traveling shenanigans on a magic train, and has one of the most gentle Kamen Riders ever to put on the suit. He takes a different form depending on which magical monster possesses him, which gives him a different personality and different abilities. I'd say it's a strong series if you're in the mood for something not too serious.

Kiva is like 555 on overdrive. It's not well-regarded and it rehashes a lot of beats from 555 and Agito because the head writer stopped giving a poo poo. Honestly the best things about this show are its secondary Rider who is a really cool character, and the soundtrack loving rules.

Don't watch Decade.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
It's so fun watching someone go through Double for the first time. Other than a few iffy things during the ending I'd say it's as close to a perfect Heisei series as there is.

Excluding Heaven's Tornado.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

kaku isn't really that much more recognizable than dai, considering the suit footage was used for like twelve episodes, whereas the white ranger suit is iconic as gently caress

obviously it sold well enough for them to commit to ohranger in the fall though, which i will buy in hopes of encouraging carranger, which i will buy despite not actually wanting to watch it, because i want them to keep doing these sets

I don't know if I can do much convincing, but Carranger is a much funnier show than people give it credit for. If you enjoy Sentai then it's definitely worth checking out. I would easily put it above Ohranger honestly. The villains look even cheaper and shittier than any other Toku fare, but that's all part of the joke. You're supposed to laugh at how stupid they look and how ridiculous their plans are.

Which might explain why the first half of Turbo is such a goddamned wreck when it tried making monsters like this into serious threats.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
My favorite bit in Carranger was a villain who shows up halfway into the series who promises his plans will be far superior to the main villains. What's his first scheme? To convince the Carrangers he's reformed an idiot biker monster into a scholar, and then invite them to the monster's graduation where he will serve them poisoned wine. It's the most convoluted bullshit, and for once it feels like the show wants you to laugh at how ludicrous and circuitous the villain's plan is.

What I'm saying is Carranger owns bones.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I didn't bother with Toqger or Ninninger, but I'm curious if it's a common trend in recent Sentai to always use the big new robo to finish fights. Maybe I'm growing more cynical, but it seems like this week is the first time in quite a while that they didn't go right into Wild Tousai King ever since it's debut. In previous seasons we would usually see more variation, but Zyuoh only seems to use whatever toy is newest, and then ignores the previous formations completely.

I think I just want to see them use Cube Mole again. That's all.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

gourdcaptain posted:

That, combined with summoning Bladerun/Brazil, a man who almost literally exists to betray others, even when he has no memories. (I'm much more of a fan of Goseiger than most, which is probably helped by having started with the Millonfold Curiosity subs on it.) Seriously, summoning Bladerun apart from in a "we had the suit and will use it without any reference to the actual character" context is basically suicidal. Enter's almost as bad in that department.

Goseiger had a decent idea behind its series but tumbled a bit during the Yumaju and Matrintis arcs. I'll stand by a lot of the Bladerun stuff being better than the hero stuff though.

Also Bladerun's suit is pretty cool so I like to see it. Also because it makes me laugh to see final bosses killed by comparatively weak attacks.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

gourdcaptain posted:

I'm actually the opposite on that, I find the Warstar arc boring a lot of the time, and I'm rather fond of the UMA and to a slightly lesser degree Machintris arcs. Although that's mostly due to Kin-Gong and Mc-Quen being the only villains I know of to win a plot by the power of friendship and the general insanity the show frequently spirals into during that time. Also, the bit where the UMA leaders get rid of Bladerun after they figure out he's trying to screw them over (because they've been best friends for thousands upon thousands of years) and steal his stuff, then off him by way chucking him into the way of the Goseiger's team cannon is the best thing. Bladerun thinks he's a master planner, but he really isn't, which is a thing I like in that series.

Oh totally, that's the best part about the UMA arc. King and Queen are great, but it seemed like the UMA arc had a shitload of filler episodes that dragged things down. The beach one with Hyde getting really hot, Eri making someone a cake, and the fluffball monster making people fall in love all strike me as some of Goseiger's weaker points.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

the Gaiark wanted to pollute Earth to make it a paradise for them.

The Go-Ongers should have sent them to Jupiter. It's probably super toxic up there for em.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

What, no love for Kota running around in the first episode's monster suit?

I love how they reused the costume again for when Hase turned into an Inves, so they had to use it a total of three times. It clearly should have only been used once though because the back of the suit looked like it couldn't close anymore.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Well Ex-Aid has at least one thing going for it. This theme is the loving best.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Also Ivan Ooze is so loving fun it's criminal. Clearly nobody was allowed to tell Paul Freeman to stop acting ridiculous, and the movie is all the better for it.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Kuso Meriken posted:

I hope the villains are good too. Sometimes when I'm not super into the heroes the villains will save a show for me. Carranger was my favorite sentai of the 90's but the humans, except for Minoru, were super flat IMO. Bowzock is what made that show for me, along with VRV Master. I was also 13 so Zonnette's costume didn't hurt either.

Minoru for best Carranger.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

The budget on this Kyuranger episode feels loving absurd. There are explosions and meteors everywhere. I love it.

I'm not worried about 'style over substance' because this is the first 21 minutes. If it's flashy enough and has this much energy I will forgive a ton of stuff.

Also the Black Ranger is amazing. I love him. I love him looking at being left behind to fight 100 bad guys and he's like 'Eh gently caress it let's go, I got this.'

You know the score. Black Ranger for best Kyuranger.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Hiramechimedes is a sensitive intellectual whose sole motivation is loyalty to the only person who ever made him feel appreciated. While he makes many brilliant plans to eliminate those who oppose his friend, they are constantly foiled at the last moment by events completely out of his control, something his friend, despite his callousness in many other areas, fully recognizes. Yet Hiramechimedes cannot forgive himself his failures, and so, realizing that his intellect means nothing against opponents who can essentially create miracles through force of will and fate, sacrifices his intelligence to become a being of raw unstoppable power. Yet that desperate ploy ends in his destruction, not because of any tactics or strategy employed by his opponents. but because of the inherent bias the universe has against him. In a final insult, he comes back from the dead through sheer force of will, seemingly having triumphed over this patently unfair universe and finally, finally making it work in his favor. He nearly succeeds in avenging himself, before being vanquished by nonsense folklore. His enemies cheer and go home. The opening of the next episode is his friend mourning in solitude.
Much like Frank Grimes, the only sin he commits is being opposed to the protagonists of the world that he is in.

But at least the ministers fish him out of the Sanzu River in the credits of Shinken VS. Go-On. I'd like to believe he's boozing it up with all three of them during their continued misadventures.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

gourdcaptain posted:

As much as I love Kamen Rider Blade, it takes "talent" to produce something even goofier and inept than parts of the original show. Tachibana alone is a treasure trove of goofy moments.

You spelled TacheeBanner-Sun wrong.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Franky was the voice of Ninjaman in Kakuranger, and he reprised the role in Gokaiger.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

Chat's reaction to the Land Shark attack was just what I hoped.

Vexacus is the best villain. Anyone who doesn't like Ninja Storm should watch that psychopathic shark and just revel in his pure hammy glory. :allears:

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Ticket what are you doing in the end credits of the Zyuohger movie, the ToQgers weren't even in this.

There were references to all 40 Super Sentai shows in the movie. Even if it's just a prop being reused like the Gingaman vest being on a poster for the circus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Don't read about what Inoue thinks happens to Ryou's dog. Sometimes Inoue is a poo poo and gets too caught up in making characters miserable.

• Locked thread