Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I still haven't finished Gaim, I'm about 10 episodes off, but it was my favorite Kamen Rider up until I stopped and I don't know how bad the ending has to be the dampen that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Poison Mushroom posted:

It is so loving weird to see Kaito's actor smiling.
He was almost Captain Marvelous, too.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The way Ghost's forms are looking it's like it's leaning towards Wizard's four base forms, then upgrades for them so they're just rushing through them as quickly as possible. Fourze had new forms or a new weapon pretty much every episode and the pacing was still a thousand times better than this.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Rei_ posted:

the belt has all of the sounds preloaded inside of it most of the time, and whatever is put into the belt is either a barcode, punchcode or rfid chip that tells the belt what sounds to play

in some cases such as the Double Driver or the Sengoku Driver, the collectable is large enough to have its own sound chip and lights so the device only plays some basic sounds and as long as you can keep making new collectables you can make an infinite number of sounds for the belt
I have the Sengoku Driver and the sounds come from the Lock Seeds, the Gokai Morphers had an extension or something you could put on it that would recognize all the new keys. Why weren't toys this cool when I was a child?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm using a Japanese proxy for Netflix and it looks like there's some Toku!

Kamen Rider Decade All Rider vs Dai Shocker
Kamen Rider W & Decade
Kamen Rider OOO & W feat Skull
Kamen Rider Fourze The Movie
Kamen Rider Fourze & OOOs
Kamen Rider W Forever A-Z
Kamen Rider x Super Sentai

Tokyuger The Movie
Kyoruger The Movie
Goseiger The Movie

Space Sherrif Gavin The Movie

HK Forbidden Super Hero (Featuring Yuki from Fourze)

Gamera 1/2/3

They aren't subtitled, but hey they're there. Oddly they've all got english descriptions though.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Hate to break it to you but Super Sentai is a giant commercial for children's toys so when the show advertises the leader the most I just don't know how you can expect to be mad.

It's like being pissed off at Transformers because Optimus Prime is shown so much

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

What's the best Ultraman series on CrunchyRoll right now, since they've been adding so much?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

I literally don't remember this scene happening. Which Zodiarts is that?
Aquarius, who was the American transfer girl, who competed against the gang to get into Space. She was on No Laughing one year as a bus act too and couldn't stop laughing through her lines.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Fourze is so much fun at the beginning but I'll admit, a lot of characters turn into catchphrases or revert to stereotypes after their character arcs are over with. And I still like Meteor, it's just Storm that looks silly as hell.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

It sounds so un-genuine but I'd love another mini season of Decade to wrap up some of the lingering stories and such. He kinda never got an ending.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

I gave up on sentai like 12 years ago. I liked Hurricanger for it's storytelling and Abaranger for it's ability to balance on the line between corny laughs and emotional drama. Magiranger was just too clearly aimed at children. It didn't have any of the bite that I come to expect from the Japanese series. Unless it got significantly darker further in, it looked like it could have passed as a PR show with no real changes.

So with all that in mind, what should I watch?
Gokaiger, Shinkenger, and GoBusters are the absolute peak. Kyoryuger is really good, too!

Shinkenger is an almost samurai type show with good characters and an amazing twist at the end involving the red ranger.
Gokaiger is an anniversary sentai where the team are a bunch of space pirates who can transform into other previous teams using keys. They meet a lot of previous teams, lots of great action
GoBuster is a future spy kind of show that features a dancing mech in the end credits. What's not to like?

Kyoryuger is a dino-based sentai that's extremely up-beat

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

nerdman42 posted:

So, uh, I guess I watched all of Fourze in a week. I really like friendship stories?

There's a lot to talk about but drat if I can remember all of it with all the marathoning I did. Someone would have to ask for specifics. I think the monsters were especially cool in this one. Gentaro's probably my favorite of the Riders so far. It got pretty dark near the end but I think the heart of the show is just in how fun it is.

Its funny to me that the ultimate motivation of the main villain was "I wanna meet aliens, they seem cool". He got a lot of similarities with Sonozaki but he's so consistently cheerful that he feels like enough of his own character. Gamou's a selfish prick, but you can't help but like a guy who happily informs people that he made soup after murdering their best friend. The most interesting thing to me is that the stakes both do and don't feel as high as other shows. The final battle is less about stopping him from destroying Japan than it is seeing if they can befriend him.

My only complaint is that I would've liked to see how Gentaro would've befriended all the other evil characters, like Pyxis or Aries. But drat I'm really satisfied with that one.
Now watch the movies! There's one that takes place a couple years after the series is supposed to have ended.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Gokaiger was my first delve into any type of Toku, I watched it when it premiered and had a loving blast.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Oh good god Linkara decided to do History of Power Rangers on Gokaiger kill me

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

There's not even that much to pick apart in the first five episodes of Gokaiger so he has to reaaaaaaally reach to get his lame jokes in. Luckily my power went out when I was about 10 minutes in so nature itself spared me from the headache.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

Is Kuuga the place to start if I've never had any experience with Kamen Rider and don't mind a show being more than five years old? I'm told that the idea of a "modern" series started there, and I know from the Sega CD game somebody made out of ZO that there's a lot of old crusty production jank in the older stuff. But at the same time I have a tendency to think "these first installments must be great if they launched an ongoing series" and then find out that no, the sequels were far better received.
Either start with Kuuga/Agito (For a more serious, slow-drama burn) or start with Double and watch Double/OOOs/Fourze for a more modern, light-hearted but great show.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

But for real, I don't know that much Japanese but I can even point out where TV-N is mistranslating things. Refusing to translate "Henshin" because it's iconic to the series is fine, but it's "We are no longer using the word "Crew" or "Friends" because Nakama has no English equivalent that can properly convey the emotion and feelings of this word that means "Friends" or "Comrades" or "Crew members"

TV-N is bad and there's no real reason to debate about it, it's not objectively bad, it's just bad. Just read this blog to see people a lot more fluent in Japanese than any of us pointing out how bad TV-N is. They're marginally better than nothing, but can often be misleading or just wrong.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

When I was a kid I was OBSESSED with Ultraman, I had bedsheets and toys and those giant doll/plushies but I honestly never remember it ever being aired on TV. Was Ultraman ever on TV in the early 90's? Was it on an ABC block with Samurai Pizza Cats, VR Troopers, and Ronin Warriors?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

How crazy is Anno going to get with Godzilla?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Cliff Racer posted:

I don't care how lovely a series is, they only get to come back once and it shouldn't be with other, un-related, teams stealing the show.
I hope Decade and Gokaiger come back forever, in spite of you. Gokaiger was undisputedly one of the best series of Sentai and their gimmick allows them to constantly return and it still make sense.

The idea behind Gokaiger was to sell tiny little keys and half a decade later they're still selling those keys why wouldn't they keep that money train rolling

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Shaezerus posted:

I'm down with a universe where secondary Riders are the spotlight-main characters. What's the only real loss we'd suffer, Fourze?
Would this somehow make Kabuto the main character of his own series

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I'm not certain, sadly. I posted about this on a Facebook group too and one person said they were able to access the Japanese Netflix selections through a VPN, and thus see the Toku, but they weren't able to actually stream/watch them.
So many companies were giving Netflix poo poo about other countries sneaking in through VPNs and watching content they weren't supposed to that Netflix had to break proxies from working on their websites. So unless you own a true private VPN, it's not going to work properly.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

If i want to learn Japanese I'll download Rosetta Stone. TVN doesn't even translate properly half the time and I only know basic japanese. It's like the whole "Utchuu Kitaa!" argument.

Sure, it's roughly translated as "Space is here!" or "Space has arrived" but translating the catchphrase as something digestible in English, the language you know, is probably more important. Context is really important in Japanese so directly translating a lot of stuff looks jarring and out of place which is TVN's big flaws

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

To be fair, it's plastered all of the thread title and OP

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Getsuya posted:

A-anyway on to Agito.

... I hope my deep hatred of endings where the guys just punch each other a bunch doesn't come back to bite me in other seasons.
Agito's ending feels pretty flat, but I love the characters! G3 is one of my favorite secondary riders.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Burkion posted:

Here's a question for you about the Kuuga ending. Just, indulge me on this.

Did you think it was supposed to be cool? I know you didn't like it, but what do you think the intent of the whole thing was

Also I can assure you, no, there is not a single other final fight in Kamen Rider, or Tokusatsu in general, even in super hero works that I can think of off the top of my head, that goes like that one.
Eiji and Ankh duking it out in the water?

e: Yusuke vs Chu from yu yu hakusho

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Burkion posted:

Neither one of those are final fights, nor do they do the same thing that Kuuga did.
They did the same thing, they just weren't final fights tho.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Burkion posted:

Kamen Rider Black RX might have my Favorite theme song of ALL of them.

WAKE UP THE HERO!

It's still a hot garbage show.
kabuto is the best kamen rider and anything you like sux

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

weird way to spell w bitch
Does W have a matrix style make-up battle? Didn't think so, Dickeye

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The best thing about Dairanger is that the cast are still friends and 20 years later they got together and they're all in great shape still and they can still do the fancy roll call/morph from memory

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Every link to the video is broken but I also found out they get together once every year. Here's 2016 :)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

re TV-N: If you want to trick yourself into watching subtitles that are below average quality and sometimes completely misleading, it's fine if you honestly don't know better and don't plan on becoming a fan of Toku, ever, because of how often they mistranslate and incorrectly mislead the plot. If you think you're going to learn more Japanese by watching them too, you're also foolish because sometimes even their un-translated japanese is somehow wrong in context, too.

re Dekaranger: The premise is cool but the series itself gets old quick, because it treats so many episodes as stand-alone and goes on to explain everyone's powers multiple times over and over. Did you know Jasmine is an ESPer? You certainly will by episode 20 when it's explained 14 times by a narrator word by word over and over. SPD is very similar in plot and you're probably just as well off re-watching SPD until better subtitles come out because of how similar the shows can be.

re 555s (Aka Faiz): The show is slow and forced, and there's so much melodrama that just drags on. The suits are absolutely beautiful and one of my favorites in the entire genre, but watching the show is such a drag sometimes. If you want good melodrama and decent suits, Agito and Gaim have got you covered. The only great thing about Faiz doesn't even require subtitles, it's just Busta Rhymes screaming "Don't this poo poo make a nigga wanna" at a very dramatic scene for, what I can only imagine was someone Japanese wanting to use some gangster rap and recognized the "Jump Jump" part of the song. The song was actually taken out of the DVD versions though :v:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Wasn't Go-Busters supposed to be a gimme season for Saban to sell a lot of toys and they chose to totally skip that season

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The draw to OOOs is the supporting cast, because nearly everyone else in the show that isn't Eiji, the main rider is fantastic. Although they do try and explain why he's so bland It's because of PTSD leaving him an empty shell, thus making him the perfect empty vessel for desire

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Daigo :(

It was always so neat that the Dairanger crew would get together once a year for drinks and they could still do their henshin poses, they all seemed like such a close bunch of friends.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Figuarts love to show prototypes of toku heroes outside of their suits then never release them

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

LightningKimba posted:

Heaven's Tornado is the best thing, and I won't have anyone sully the power of a teen wearing a Tupac shirt. :colbert:
I wanna combine that scene with this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbqSzH9VIec

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

W was a simple concept and it's like they've been trying to one-up that since then. A return to the basics wouldn't be the worst thing imo but Wizard and Ghost had the most basic designs and were kinda trashy so I guess we're on track for another one of those seasons.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

To be fair, Wizard's suits looked pretty alright.
So did most of Ghosts. Their transformations were pretty straightforward too. OOOs, Fourze (With the gimmicks) Drive, and Ex-Aid look like huge messes but their series are pretty great.

I'm not going to be very optimistic for a basic design series, the last couple years kinda show us that the more stream-lined a suit is the more generic the show will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I owned the Snizzard Power Rangers toy voiced by Bryan Cranston, and that's pretty cool

• Locked thread