Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
That poo poo looks loving BRUTAL, which I understand is true to the source material.

God, I want official subs so I can show it to people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

SpazmasterX posted:

I just want good toys to come back. Everything has been mostly poo poo since GoBusters. :negative:

Sentai has never produced a good robot toy except for the Akibaranger car.

When sentai mechs have elbows, knees, hips, AND shoulders at LEAST they might maybe be passable.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

CW superhero shows are the fabed "American Tokusatsu" and are wildly successful. There's absolutely ample room for a Kamen Rider series to succeed over here, complete with Rider Kicks and actual transformations.

What there isn't room for is a footage-recycling Saban project, or for a toyetic merchandizing vehicle. It'd have to be pointed at the Flarrow demographic. Relationship drama mixed with stunt action and big character-actor seasonal villains and wink-nudge references.

A full remake of Double would probably be the best route to success, especially if they just let Phillip and Shotaro date. That'd fly pretty well in 2018.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The Gaia Memories aren't too toyetic, to be honest. Not any more toyetic that Arrow's twice-a-season gear upgrades or, uh, drugs (for the Dopant Memories). Plus they establish a strong Monster-of-the-Week engine while also opening opportunities for twists. Will this week's Memory just be a monster or will it be a power-up to get excited for?

You don't have to like the actual writing or production of any given DC CW show to recognize that it's the ideal format for Kamen Rider in the west. No dubs, no Saban-type recycling. Just a localized ground-up remake, ideally of Double or Kabuto or another of the series that trended towards gravitas.

And Doctor Who proves that if you give each Rider at least two television seasons you can deffo get away with adapting a new series every couple of years. You can even do rider crossovers - Doctor Who anniversaries and Flarrow crossovers prove there's a market for that.

We already have a thriving American Tokusatsu, is what I'm saying. Why not use its methods?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

So are the OZC-live BDs of Kamen Rider W the same subs as Over-Time or what? My first watch years ago was as a TV-N watching moron.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Motto posted:

BDs muxed with OT's scripts, yeah.

Sick.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

There was no suit in Civil War, Spidey was entirely CG.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Can anyone point me to Overtime subs of Begins Night?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Motto posted:

Look up "Movie War/Taisen 2010" on their tracker.

Found it.

So how/why does Double end up in the same spacetime as Decade and company at the end of that whole... situation, anyway?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

But Skull is so cool...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

So can someone explain what happened with Decade behind the scenes to make it... what it was?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Well if it gave Double more time in the oven then I guess Decade was worth it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Oh my god...

"Spilk"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Eat poo poo, Weatherman!

GET loving WRECKT!!!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Welp I just finished Double and I'M NOT CRYING YOU'RE CRYING

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

I'm in the middle of rewatching/watching double with a friend and we just got up to Accels debut and I can't wait to see her reaction to the last two parter

JUST TELL HIM YOU LOVE HIM, SHOTARO, YOU IDIOT

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Anyway I went suddenly and briefly insane and ordered up a Super Best edition Double Driver.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Never has any goon saying "I would have done the same" reassured anyone, ever, but thanks anyway.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's true, I'd never be caught dead in a fedora. I'm not hard-boiled enough to get away with that.

I paid 90bux for the Driver incl shipping and I did it because I ascribe my Smash Bros character picks to Double forms. Roy is HeatMetal. Sonic is FangJoker. Samus (Fusion Suit) is LunaTrigger.

So now I'll be able to bring the Memories to torneys and make obnoxious noises to signify my character picks.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Actually, were you at New York Comic Con a couple years back? Because I ran into a cosplayer of either Shotaro or Decade (can't recall) then...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

No I haven't sprung for Fang yet. I'd rather have the T2 Fang anyway for practical purposes but that's part of an expensive set so WELP.

Looking forward to activating METAL BRANDING whenever I get a shield break with Roy though.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The Coat is unmistakably a Thing. At a glance across the convention floor, you can tell it's part of a costume.

Some skinny white fucker in a fedora, vest, and tie? Not so much.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'LL NEVER JOIN YOU!!

Wait, wrong series.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Oh jeez this Double Driver is cool as loving hell but I really really should have ordered a belt extension.

Still can do that, of course.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Cyphoderus posted:

Finally done with Kamen Rider W. Very fun, I totally see why people recommend it so much here. The middle episodes don't even feel much like filler, and the movies are great. The second one, with the A-to-Z memories stuff, is a perfect feel-good Saturday afternoon popcorn action flick.

Kamen Rider Skull and Kamen Rider Joker are among my favorite Rider designs, right alongside with Black.

Part of what I really liked about W was how it leveraged its formula to make every episode worthwhile. The two-parter format is excellent for binge-watching because the cliffhangers are really well-constructed and strongly based upon the audience AND the characters discovering new information that reframes the existing plot.

The mystery-of-the-fortnight structure also does a great job of making the monsters feel meaningful. Two episodes/45 minutes gives you time to get used to the characters of each story, become invested in their needs, and want the best for them. I'd often find myself genuinely disappointed - but narratively satisfied- when a likable character turned out to be a Dopant.

Plus having only ~25 stories meant that filler didn't really exist. The first 2/3rds of the show introduce new characters, powers, and tools at an even pace, and by the time the heroes have their full arsenal of abilities, the show is ready to focus on setting up the board for the ideological and practical conflicts leading up through the finale - it never has to spin its wheels.

Plus the villains were excellent. The Sonozaki family (and their wonderful little lietmotif) were unmistakably villainous without being embodiments of petty malice, and the family politics are paced fantastically. The dichotomy of antiheroic Nasca and detestable Weather was great.

W's powers were really well executed too. Apart from the toyetic garbage with the bike in early episodes, W's powers felt genuinely versatile and necessary, and were used intelligently. At one point I wondered if Philip and Shotaro would or could morph straight into HeatJoker, and they actually discussed and implemented that strategy. Xtreme being a bit of a Win Button was weak, but its acquisition felt earned and seeing Philip and Shotaro fully unite was really satisfying, and FangJoker was a fun mixup that was smartly limited by its body switcheroo.

Great cast, great management of its toyetics, and exactly as much story as it needed.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Maybe it's because I binged it, but that kind of goes away when you consider each 2-parter as a single 45-minute episode.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Nah. Skull is cool because of how limited he is.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

In the age of Ex-Aid, who would have thought video games would return to the world of Double...

https://twitter.com/TV4D/status/789320583041331200?lang=en

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Sign me the F UCK up for Double skins for the Switch.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

I kinda don't want CycloneJoker skins because I would be physically incapable of not going "CYCLONE! JOKAH!" when snapping them in.

That's the entire point!

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 17, 2017

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The jackets are actually kinda rad on Kyo2.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I've made the joke before, but in hand, it's actually uncanny:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

They already have red and blue and gray joycons and buddy I will complete the set if they give me the chance with green, yellow, and silver. I will line my joycons up alongside my gaia memories if they give me the chance.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Shaezerus posted:

Wizard's toy gimmick is definitely the easiest to take seriously out of everything Rider's put out in roughly a decade. The last five years alone have been video game cartridges wielded by doctors, eyeballs that summon ghosts made of coats, tiny sentient cars, samurai fruit padlocks, and then there's Wizard with magic rings.

It's a decent move to draw viewers in, but... it's Wizard.

that's why you show Double

people are primed for Gaia Memories because the Switch just came out

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

CHAN BARA BARA, CHAN BARAAAAAAAAAAAA

I love that song and how it riffs on Go Go Power Rangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Build fuckin ruled, y'all. Haven't been this enraptured by a Toku series since W.

• Locked thread