Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I thought Super Fighting Robot Jiro was a pretty good one-shot apart from having the worst possible timing. But our expectations may, at the time, have been biased by the TQG/Gaim special making us feel like no crossover could ever be good ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I mean, Baron did have this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoUSAUFbtlc

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Poison Mushroom posted:

It is so loving weird to see Kaito's actor smiling.

Don't watch YutaCafe.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Serious Frolicking posted:

It is gonna be great when during the next big crossover movie heart shows up in a crowd of other random monsters completely unmentioned.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Drive's other Rider was Chaser. :colbert:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Do you count HELL HELL HELLFRUIT as an upgrade?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
If I have an issue with Ghost it's that I like Akari after she gets over her thing but it seems like she's constantly getting faked-out, in the sense that she works really hard (and spends a lot of screentime working hard) to do stuff that's ultimately futile against magic. She invented the Akari Cannon (with help!) and now everyone uses the Lantern. She almost invented a second one and that plot got hijacked by Newton and Himiko. And now she spends an entire episode trying to do science on the time plasma only for Takeru and Tutankhamen to fix everything, everywhere, magically in the last three minutes.

She also spends a lot of time talking about how she'll try to help as much as she can and all those sentiments are consistently going nowhere.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Actually this was a thing for Kiriko too. They made a huge deal out of her getting a special gun and jet boots and she used them maybe three times over Drive's run. And I think one of those was a joke.

Like, I get it, it's a regressive show for six year old boys, the girls aren't going to do anything. Fine. But then why spend all this screentime and emphasis on the idea?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Some Numbers posted:

Unlike Kanon, who's...just kind of there?

Kanon is the joint heart for Specter and Necrom, which is appropriate because the two of them together seem to add up to approximately one Ghost anyway.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I feel like I got into Gaim because there is a very specific interaction between the experiences of "oh my god, his sword is an orange slice" and "oh my god, Mitsy is such a poo poo" and that intersection is just perfectly nailed by e.g. FRUIT OF THE DEAD.

Same with tiny cars crying in the rain and Go.

e: I'm not saying Mitsy wouldn't have worked without poo poo like Kaito crushing that little jell-o fruit (though Kaito might not have) but I think the juxtaposition of the melodrama is part of the thing but I'm also aware that other people consider it to be a detriment instead.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 26, 2016

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Nvm can't read

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
There's a bit where the monster gives the B-characters hallucinations of their dreams. Akari has a sweet lab, Alain gets lifetime octoballs, and Makoto is in a room full of costumed Kanons all doing that "onii-chan" voice.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It got done with the toys and started on the actual plot. It seems like a pretty normal process, Drive and Gaim definitely had a similar phase.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

deadly_pudding posted:

I never noticed the little figures in the signs :allears:

I never noticed the label on it that says RIDERS ONLY.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
My favorite TVN thing is still when takenoko wrote that the real romanization for Gaim's jinbaori forms was Zimber because an unrelated line of fashion coats or something used that romanization on their website.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm almost mad at the whole "our subs help people learn Japanese!" thing. One, no they don't, two, we make subtitles so people don't have to learn Japanese.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
He is, technically, wearing a mask.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Burkion posted:

Bug theme isn't that important to Kamen Rider.

It's a thing that you can have or not. Remember, the original 'Kamen' for Kamen Rider was gonna be a skull mask. What a weird world that reality would have been.

Even with the original Riders, and I mean the very original first batch the first 7, Amazon is not bug themed at all. He's a lizard man.

What's important is that Riders take the power of their enemies and use it for justice. It's when you don't do that that it starts becoming a little hazy on how much of a Rider you really are.

Thankfully I don't think we've had a single Rider abandon that yet. I think.

If you squint a little, it was a bit of a plot/thematic point in Wizard that while everything up to that point was Phantom-derived and also provided directly or indirectly by Flutewood, Infinity came completely from Hope. I think that in their final battle, White Wizard tries to taunt Haruto saying he gave him all the magic he has, and Haruto directly rebuts that point by saying that Infinity is all him.

I mean, it is Wizard...

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
There was a bike and scarf in Drive but the worst character had them.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I still want to know what the deal with Anne was!

I hope the whole-cast FROM SPACE thing was dubbed over an "ehhhhhhhhhhh?"

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Burkion posted:

I have no idea why. I don't think they did either. It can't have even been for lip syncing since Anne and Donna don't remotely fit with one another.

It might have, actually. I've seen "Anne" in Japanese as アンヌ (An-nuh) and a quick wiki check confirms this is the case.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Oh, the RPG one is actually named Kamen Rider Brave.

It's going to be that thing about Kyoryuger all over again except no one can "localize" around it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm Kamen Rider EX-AID Robot Action Gamer.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The part that confuses me is, how does he blow into his belt before he sticks the Gashat in?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Rhythm RPG Kamen Rider is pretty modern indie, I'd say.

Actually all the level 3's are some bizarre mashup you'd see as one of those jam prompts, except Combat Shooting Gamer. Like, yes?

And they all share a Hunter form beyond level 3 with what I think is DragoKnight Hunter. What is that, DQ nostalgia? Monster Hunter? Some sort of old game where the boss is a dragon?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Kamen M: The Game Master.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Have you seen what Go Shijima does to his friends?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Wizard should have been more of a trickster messing with enemies with those spells that were literally only used for one episode, like Smell. Hell, we could have got Ant-Man style fights with Small. Water/Liquid fuckery was the most he ever did most of the time, and I'm trying to remember how many times he even did that.

I mean, Haruto should have been funnier and less self-serious in general. Shunya Shiraishi can be a funny man and Wizard was begging to drop more sick one-liners like Drive did.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Pyroi posted:

Guys, I think I just realized something about Ghost.

The main character's name is Tenkuji Takeru, and on his 18th birthday he was killed by a Ganma.

I have no idea why it took me this long to realize, if only it was in every episode to remind me.

I fell off the Ghost train partway through the Ganmizer thing so I'm pretty hazy, can you remind me who/what he believes in?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I hope it's like Gaim in that it starts out very silly and stylized and then goes completely bugnuts with deaths and betrayal and trauma but it still has HIT and CRITICAL and WATCHA NAME.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I watched the Ghost finale to see Ex-Aid, and it was very disappointing on that front and others, but mainly, isn't this just the final plot from Drive again?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Waffleman_ posted:

You'd think you'd just have that stuff on a Notepad to copy paste by now.

I am 100% sure one of them (probably Ignis?) has a file that just says

"My name is Tenkuuji Takeru.
On my 18th birthday, I was killed by a Ganma and came back to life as Kamen Rider Ghost.

I have XX days left."

to paste into the beginning of any script.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
On the one hand, Haruto was also a catchphrase angel who existed, but he was occasionally interesting for five seconds at a time.

On the other hand, neither Akari nor Kanon was ever kidnapped, literally objectified, stolen, and then stolen again (Kanon was an eyecon for a while but she still talked).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Waffleman_ posted:

On the OTHER OTHER hand....

L I O N LION!

Maybe Nitoh and Alain can escape their series together, eating mayo-covered takoyaki in their hobo tent and sharing their sad stories.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FkpACJFrRU

is always relevant

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I like that each Dead Heat helmet has the other one's face on its back, but flipped around, so it looks like it's the same head turned over.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I like how the official captions say "M" and people are still referring to the guy as "Emu."

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Blaze Dragon posted:

As far as I understood, Emu is his actual name, M is his gamer name. You'd know more than me, but I doubt his name is constantly written in romaji.

Oh, I didn't even catch his regular name. Shows me for shooting my mouth off.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

deadly_pudding posted:

It's the same as it ever was. People shat all over Ted Woolsey's RPG translations from the SNES era, but his little weird quirks and inclusions are honestly a lot of fun. He took what he had to work with, which was Nintendo of America's fairly strict set of standards for "family friendly content", and still managed to capture a lot of magic. I don't really understand people who don't prefer the version of Chrono Trigger where Frog, despite nobody else from his time period talking like that, talks with a goofy faux Shakespearean dialect. I think giving him a verbal tic like that made him a lot more memorable and interesting.

I think it's a cargo cult thing. There's this idea weeaboos have that Japanese is some kind of beautiful and noble language that is more perfect than our white devil English. I used to harbor that idea in like middle school. It's just another language, and literalistically translating a language whose idioms are like 80% puns by volume does it a major disservice.

On the one hand, a translation shouldn't suppress the character. On the other hand, a translation ideally shouldn't change the character, however "memorable" the new character is. These can both be true.

I think a lot of baby translators and people who are not translators have an extreme reaction for or against TVN bullshit and the latter swing to the other direction. I certainly went through a phase of thinking that all you had to be was funny and broadly sensical. I also think a lot of people are just bound to nostalgia for old translations of old things that were produced under non-ideal circumstances. (Cargo cult, if you want to put it that way.) Lots of newer games have translations that are both appropriately colored and textually accurate.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Subbing weekly is a dance of risk management and it didn't help that we both had, actually, a tendency to go big. (A lot of things I say are lessons from when my own habits have got me in trouble.) In fact, Lexi ultimately regretted Wärring; I don't really care that much, but we never got around to releasing a fixbatch (which would have also addressed things like the Woman of the Beginning).

I will, however, still defend Ornac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Waffleman_ posted:

Call it GoBuster-Oh, get yourself a little Street Fighter 2 situation going on.

I think they did, but I heard it actually makes more sense that way - an Oh robot becomes King and Ace becomes Oh.

• Locked thread