Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Cliff Racer posted:

Well that OP certainly isn't OP if you know what I mean.

Remember to disregard Literally the Worst's opinion on Ninninger which is turning out to be surprisingly good, certainly better than last year's dreck.

Ninninger is literally in a constant life or death struggle to be mediocre at all times. ToQger was at least mostly better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Cliff Racer posted:

ToQger a poop.

I like that Ninninger really seems to be not so much about the red ranger as it is a commentary on what the red ranger's role in a series is. I feel like most people don't get that. They hear the food analogy and focus in on the fact that red/the meat is the best part, not the fact that the soup is better when you have the other rangers/ingredients in there too.

Four episodes after the Food Analogy the rest of his siblings got the crap beat out of them by Raizou Gabi, an already extremely hurt Takaharu showed up and they went 'We were waiting for you Taka!'

he then stomped on Gabi's face by himself while they killed mooks.

A more recent episode involved Takaharu growing to Giant Size and by himself taking out the Monster without even needing a Ninja Ally besides Shinobimaru.

The show has gotten better but there's no certainty that it's gonna stay that way, and that's what I mean by a constant struggle. At any point it could pull a complete 180 again.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Burkion posted:

Just as a reminder that Ultraman is awesome and will be celebrating its true 50th next year, as this year is the 50th of the company and much of the preproduction of Ultra Q, have this- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjOvth3O2Vs

That is notable for one incredible reason. From everything I've heard, this is a fan movie. A fan production. Or at least it started its life out that way. Then Tsuburaya, as it is wont to do, looked over at the fan production and said "You are now official, have all of the support" and lo it was so.

Tsuburaya is a fantastic company for that kind of stuff really. That's how the newest Ultraman manga got to where it is- it started out as a kind of one and done non profit fan comic that got recognized and made Official. Now Power Armor Ultraman has a freaking Figuarts and is printed in the big group. They're a group that really appreciates and rewards fandom, something I wish we could get more from Toei. Then again they are a much smaller company than Toei, so they can likely afford the personal touch now and again.

Speaking of Ultraman, the original is now OFFICIALLY up for streaming with subtitles!

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/series/ultraman

This is a fantastic thing as the original Ultraman is a wonderful show that's way better than it has any right to be being made in 1966. Some time soon I'll have to go through and make my Ultraman Recommendation Episode list!

If we can get some more Showa Ultras up somewhere, we would have the majority of the Ultra franchise subbed in one form or another and that would be amazing

Is Power ARmor Ultraman the new one where it looked like he was putting pieces of the monsters he killed on him? Was that one any good? The suit looks really cool

Justin_Brett posted:

I still think Toqger was better at handling the 'Red is the best at everything' phase we're in now, since even if Right was a fair amount of the time, the show seemed to take the piss out of him more sincerely than Ninninger does Taka. Plus he wasn't just the hotblooded idiot trope played straight as an arrow.

Around Episode 33 of ToQger was when Right and Hikari had a Karate Contest to see who could beat the poo poo out of the most minions untransformed.

Hikari won and Right at the end was trying to make excuses for why he actually won while everyone laughed at him.

That scene in Nininger would be Takaharu literally beating all the others combined.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Ignis posted:

this thread title is terrible

The translator isn't fond of side stuff in general, that's why we get to do that sort of stuff sometimes, and sometimes we just don't bother. :shrug:

Did I actually post that? Man I don't even remember posting that.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

They come back later. I think Ryuusei goes and saves them in between the sequel movie and the last episode.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I think this episode marks the first time except for like literally episode 1 where they actually did the full 5 man Fury Slashes finisher instead of some Variation of 'Takaharu + Extra'.

Other then that...

The other bad guys find out Kyuuemon has been screwing them over, and in response do....absolutely nothing to him. Despite very clearly acknowledging he's been killing their subordinates and stealing them out from under them, they're just like 'eh whatever.'

Today's lesson was I am pretty sure something Nagi learned in one of the early Episodes too 'you should be more like Takaharu and just DO things.'. I mean it was less obvious this time, but still like, why? Takaharu has generally been super dumb, but this time he figures out the 'trick' to getting the new Mecha. Very odd.

Rip Quebely.

Next episode looks dumb in a good way.

Edit; holy like like 12 people just straight up died in Ghost in like the first three minutes.

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 6, 2015

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Ignis posted:

The mental gymnastics some people go through for adding trivia to the wikia will never cease to be hilarious :allears:

If only they would go back and finish the plot summaries for Go-Busters or correcting their grammar instead of adding trivia. :smith:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I can agree that it felt a little rushed.

I know this is gonna get people angry with me, but I think it would have worked better as a 2 Parter to stretch it out some.

This Ghost is totally different from the Cameo in Drive 47/48 though, that dude seemed competent and capable, instead of kind of...bumbling?

I dunno. He also fights super differently. I liked his flowing fighting stuff way better then the tumbling around; he's worse at being bad at fighting then Eiji was at the start, so it just feels weird.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Poison Mushroom posted:

Maybe it'll get better! It's not the first KR series to have a clumsy opening and recover, right?

...right?

I mean yes? There's no '...right?' about it; even Drive had a shaky start.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Burkion posted:

Kouta is just

The moment that I thought OKAY, HE'S A KAMEN RIDER NOW, gently caress YEAH was when he got the shogun armor and over his having killed his best friend ever thing and it was great and Takatora you just hosed up man you pushed him to his lowest so he could rise up and

oh, no, we're just going to keep doing this? And he's never going to really learn his lesson?

Oh

Good.

Funtastic.

What did you think about Kamen Rider 1 declaring him and Kaito Kamen Riders in one of the movies? I feel like your perspective on it is super different from mine.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Serious Frolicking posted:

It is gonna be great when during the next big crossover movie heart shows up in a crowd of other random monsters completely unmentioned.

He's going to go the Kaito Method of 'You thought I was on your side? gently caress you.' and turn around and jack someone in the jaw.

This I believe.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I still think Ghost's Major issue is just that it needs to slow down. Like this show is gonna last 48 episodes. They could slow down a bit and really show things. Right now it's just super frantic; Takeru gets Edison form for all of 3 seconds to instantly preform a finishing move. Like, I get they need to get the toys onto the show but still.

I think the show can still be good though, tbh. Like it's getting a slightly rocky start but I think it can go places.

EDIT: Also Ninninger gets like 3 lovely Takaharu episodes after this amazing episode this week. It's so sad that they clearly can make good episodes but just generally don't.

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 13, 2015

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

There is also a confirmed Benkei form, while the Secondary Rider has Nobunaga

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Acne Rain posted:

is it a vegeta thing to judge an entire seires by its first two episodes or just a toku thread thing

I haven't watched one of these yet that I didn't have to give a few episodes to actually click with me

it's a Vegeta thing.

I usually wait till like 10 but I'm also not afraid to comment on a weak or poor episode.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

That looks goddamn amazing. Also curious what's up with Negadrive. I was almost hoping for some kind of special Ultra Super Mode Drive like with W and Kiva but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen, probably a Ghost Shift Car instead? should still be neat.

Also what is After V even like? Is it like Cheers but the main characters are the Power Rangers? That's what it sounded like from what I read of the summary, basically a show where it's like a sit-com that mostly happens in a bar but revolves around people whose day job is beating up monsters?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I liked the Dinocharge Blue cameo. I also liked how he was rescued by Yakamo. Blue Ranger Solidarity. Was this Jiraya show any good? It seems pretty old school, but like, in a good way, not in a bad way

So Kyuuemon basically pretended to be dead for a grand total of like two weeks. I'm glad we got exactly two weeks of other people doing stuff before Kyuuemon came back

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

No I absolutely agree that it feels like we're going at breakneck pace, which is just weird. I guess they're desperately trying to get the first batch of toys out, and it might slow down after that, but it's still weird. Like the fight with Hatchet Horse Man showed that like, choreography isn't going to be an issue if they just let the fighting happen instead of having five second fights where someone runs away. It looked really loving nice when they let it occur.

I also liked the giant rear end bow thing, probably liked it too much given it was like 'hey buy this thing then by this other thing and you can make this', but it still looked nice.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Cernunnos posted:

This is what I'm feeling from things so far.

Something about the Sage Gramps definitely seems wierd but I can't really say what exactly

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Shaezerus posted:

And now the Yukio Watch is back as of this week so it's time for things to go downhill again.

well apparently Nagi gets it next week. So that should be interesting.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I mean, it didn't rip it exactly. The buildings and effects are different. It looks like it was just the extras that are the same.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Yes, just the exact same people in the exact same places wearing the exact same clothing. It was clearly a painstaking reproduction and not recycled footage.

I'm not saying it's not recycled extras though? Like that's what I said, the extras are the same.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Someone make Ghost slow down please. I can't handle this pacing.

Secondary Rider in Episode 4? I'd get it if this was going to be a Gaim situation but it doesn't look like it is.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

V-Men posted:

I am just in love with Star Ninninjer's upgraded form.

I am super Excited for Takaharu to take it after the first episode and it just be his

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

so for people who are aware of things like the toys;

does the DX Gan Gan saber for Ghost actually do all the transformations that it has in the show, or is each mode a completely different toy?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Blaze Dragon posted:

It can switch between four modes by itself (sword, gun, double sword and...rod or something?), but for the rest of the modes (like bow) it needs other toys to link up with.

I think the Rod is the Naginata from this episode? Unless Double Sword is that?

Pretty interesting it has that much functionality, I'd have imagined it'd be a different thing for each one.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

This guy is the best; he's basically the guy I watch because I like that it's just 'here's the poo poo and what it does' rather then trying to sell a brand or whatever.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

It could be okay I guess?

I'm already pretty interested in Shuriken just because I want to see if they try to shove a Battilizer into a series where the Red Ranger already gets a mostly exclusive power-up. I mean I guess they did it with Dino Thunder

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Cernunnos posted:

Maybe it'll be better (or at least more consistent) than Ninninger.

Inconsistent is a really good word for Ninninger. When it's good it's good. When it's bad it's soul sucking.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

The actual saddest thing is Riderman is not 'Black Supermanman'

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I ordered my first Mechandise today; A Dragonfruit Lockseed, and a like $30 package of a Melon and Durian Lockseed; like in little individual packages

I'm pretty sure the second thing is going to be a rip off because it was both cheap and the Melon and Durian Lockseeds were sold with other sets of toys I really didn't want but I have accepted that.

I just really wanted a Melon Lockseed without getting the silly sword.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Burkion posted:

I am so happy I never got into these collectible gimmicks. That Metalder is so tempting for so many reasons.

I got into them like yesterday and I already realize I'm addicted.

I just want to find a Lemon Energy Lockseed that is in good condition without the Sonic Arrow. Why is that so hard to find :(

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Ghost was actually good this week? The fight between Ghost and Spectre could have gone on longer but it was still good.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Justin_Brett posted:

I kinda liked that Takeru actually got scared of Spectre. It's something different from usual, and it makes sense, since he's basically stealing the things Takeru needs to not die. It definitely won't last but it was a good character moment.

Yeah there is something both endearing in a 'this isn't something I've seen often' way and kind of neat at Takeru recklessly charging the monster going 'I HAVE TO HURRY BEFORE HE SHOWS UP'; he's not angry or determined or anything, he's basically a cornered rat trying to escape something he knows is coming.

Then Spectre shows up and beats the poo poo out of him in like a minute and leaves him on the ground in pain.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Blaze Dragon posted:

That's pretty well-made.

Did his series get any better? I left early on because I didn't have that much free time and it was boring the hell out of me. And I'm okay with one toku of debatable quality at a time.

It's not good yet, no. The most interesting thing is that Takeru is kind of an even wimpier Kouta.

That reminds me that I am not sure; do we really know how kids in Japan feel about Toku stuff? Like that's the target audience. Most people in this thread have serious issues with how Takaharu is portrayed, but is that matched in Japan? Like do they actually find Ninninger's protagonists interesting or something?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Dexie posted:

http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2015/11/18/14870/

Hey Japan. Don't screw this up. Please vote for Marika and Bravo. :)

(How are the Gaim Gaidens anyway? Worth watching?)

Zangetsu/Baron was actually pretty good but I'm a sucker for new Arms and both of those had new arms; Watermelon Zangetsu and Ringo Baron.

I have no idea about Duke/Knuckle because it's not translated.

And yes if it's not Bravo/Whoever it's miserable because Oren is the best thing in that show probably.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Cool, now where's more Gavan?!

Wasn't Gavan already finished? Also I'm assuming this is a joke post

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Xelkelvos posted:

I noticed she had her own Eye belt. I know the mooks have their own belt, but did the other main Ganma have their own variation of the eye-belt?

Yeah they all do.

All Ganma have belts like that.

The stuff with Old Man just makes me more confused what the difference is between making an Advanced Ganma and a Ghost is. Apparently Advanced Ganma are Blank Eyecon + Historically Significant Object, a Non-Ganma Ghost is Historically Significant Object + Fufilled Desire/Reaffirmed Ideal, and a Ganma Ghost is Historically Significant Object + Suicidal Desire for an ideal?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

jivjov posted:

My biggest complaint about Ghost is with the supporting cast. I can't stand bald monk dude, the villains haven't gotten any real development yet, and overall I'm just tuning in for the fights.

this is kind of some of the issue I'm having. The show feels so fast paced that the fights are good but have no time to really expand. This week's fight with Spectre and Ghost was really loving good, but it was also like the longest fight the show has had.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

The monk guy is the detective here, but neither he nor anyone else ever acknowledges this fact. I mean, it isn't like any of his knowledge of the supernatural is even remotely relevant. So, he repeatedly serves as a plot device to bring the rider together with the ghost he is supposed to fight.

yeah no one seems to be noting in the show itself that the person doing 90% of the legwork on this poo poo is Onari. It's a little strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

deadly_pudding posted:

My only real issue with Ghost is that he's the least proactive Rider of all time. He's supposed to be looking for heroic Eyecons on a pretty gross time limit, right? Instead, he sits around for weeks until somebody shows up at his house with a ghost problem, and fights a Ganma, which by sheer coincidence ends up summoning a Heroic Soul.

Speaking of Heroic Souls, do we know what his Super Form is yet? I feel like it would be somehow appropriate for it to be Xuanzang or some other legendary demon wrangler.

It is apparently called 'Tokon Boost', and it's a more red version of his base form.

• Locked thread