Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
From the other thread:

Larryb posted:

I've always been curious myself, what exactly did TVN screw up regarding the first half of Blade and what was it supposed to be like instead? I've seen Blade in its entirety so feel free to go into detail.

One of the biggest things I remember them screwing up, because it's been mentioned a few times and I even remember it myself, was the implication that Tachibana could control Undead. I remember going "Wait WHAT?" when this (fake) revelation occurred and then wondered why it seemingly disappeared afterwards.

I'd love to watch Blade with actual good subs, even if the early episodes are horribly dull and Mutsuki remains one of the worst Rider characters ever. I'd also really like redone subs for Go-Onger but I realize that'll probably never happen as I'm one of the few who actually enjoys Go-Onger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

Drive was good as hell. There's a sad scene wth a sentient toy car in the rain.

Go-Onger had that too!

God I loved Go-Onger. The fact that the mechs were actual main characters who were actively involved in the episodes the entire time is just really awesome to me. Go-Busters kind of did that too but when they weren't using the mechs generally the Buddyroids just sat around the base doing nothing, rather than always being the team's partners like the Engines were.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Burkion posted:

I noticed that some of the voices got REALLY weird- I swear the little "i'm dying' speech came from another person and not the main character, and I could have sworn the old man's voice randomly changed part way through as well

I noticed the old man's voice sounded completely different while he was saying some lines but I just thought that was some sort of dumb character quirk, it being awful sound mixing makes way more sense.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Even though it's technically not toku, I started watching Samurai Flamenco recently and just finished episode 9. This is a really good show, and it's turned out to not be what I expected it to be.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

I finally started catching up on NinNinjer after a few weeks of ignoring it. Episode 31 is pretty fun, but I'm disappointed that they skipped the potential joke of "Nagi has no specialty to steal". I like Machine Kyuubi's design, though. It is straight-up a gundam.

Ninninger has gotten a little better recently, the last few episodes haven't been completely focused on Takaharu and now that Lion Ha-Oh is broken for a while he can't just go super and do everything himself anymore.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I think Ghost is really being helped by the fact that they've (at the moment) abandoned the two-episode structure. It would be a lot less tolerable if the past few episodes had been stretched into two-parters.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

It's good to know my obsessive playing of Warriors Orochi helped me immediately know what this week's Eyecon is going to be.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

So, Ninninger this week. I thought it was a bit weird how Mangetsu announced himself as the eldest son, since as far as we knew at that point he was an only child. Then Kyuuemon let slip that he's "Kibaoni" before destroying the machine, so I'm guessing he's actually Mangetsu's brother.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Star Ninger got a new super form and if I'm not mistaken this week's episode is the only other time he's used it since its debut. Every other time he's just thrown the sword to somebody else for them to use.

Ninninger seemed like it was getting better when the Transcendent Brace broke but it's started sliding back down again, Mangetsu's debut episode was really good though. I definitely agree that it's weird to think that we're entering the final stretch of episodes seeing as how it really does feel like a whole lot of nothing has happened. It's a shame the series turned out to be so disappointing after how good everything was after Goseiger.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I knew Tutankhamun was famous for the discovery of his tomb, but I wasn't really sure if he'd done anything to get the title of "hero" except be really famous.

Turns out his father was kind of lousy at being king and implemented a bunch of unpopular religious reforms while ignoring Egypt's territories and allies, and Egypt was in bad shape after his reign. Tutankhamun restored Egypt's traditional religion and worked to restore Egypt's relationship with other kingdoms. This was probably more the work of his advisors than his own talent (he became king at 9 or 10 years old and died at 19), but he was king so I guess he gets the credit. The country also kind of had some issues after he died, but it wasn't related to anything he'd done so I guess that wouldn't really disqualify him from being a hero.

Still a weird choice.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 17, 2015

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Dexie posted:

It feels weird as gently caress to watch this week's episode of Ghost and see one of the temple mooks wearing a North Carolina State Wolfpack jacket. :stare:

Having now seen the episode, yeah I wonder what the story with that is, it seems way too weird to be a deliberate choice and there can't be that many NC State jackets lying around Japan, I wonder if the actor is just a fan of them for some reason.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

At least Ninninger decided to just reveal Kyuuemon's true identity instead of dragging it out for a few more episodes.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah it kinda seemed like for the middle stretch, when they focused on the other members of the team, that they were going to go for a "Every one of them excels in a different area so all of them are worthy to be the Last Ninja" type deal, but these past few episodes have all been "Boy Takaharu sure is the best."

Even the Kyuuemon reveal doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things. So he wasn't actually who we thought he was. Well...so? He's still a villain so nothing has really changed ultimately, and in fact I think this makes him less interesting as a villain...at least in a show where they had used him properly. He could have been a cautionary tale to the team: "Don't get too caught up in wanting to be stronger, or you could fall to evil like Kyuuemon did." They almost tried to do that with Kinji but it took one episode to resolve and then he got a new super form he used all of once before he just started giving the Red Hot Sword to the others all the time. Kyuuemon's "Nope actually I wasn't a student who fell to evil I was a bad guy all along" is boring. This also means Grandpa has no reason to feel regret anymore because he didn't actually fail in his role as a teacher.

Man, Ninninger is bad.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Reds posted:

which is how you get stuff like Faiz where one of the two protagonist murders somebody in cold blood in the first episode then throws himself off a building in an attempt to kill himself.

One of my favorite moments from Faiz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbqSzH9VIec

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Dexie posted:

I liked him. :shrug: His movie wasn't as good as Accel's (though few things are), but I still enjoyed it.

The only thing I really liked about it is that it showed that Utopia guy threw himself at any sketchy research plan to become their guinea pig.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I know it's been said many times before, but holy poo poo is Ninninger bad.

Gabi Raizou is back, the general they defeated the fasted and easiest, when they were just starting out. Now that they're much stronger now, they should be able to easily handle him, right? Nope, they get their asses kicked, until Takaharu shows up, and defeats Gabi Raizou immediately after he appears.

Kyuuemon seals their Ninpo. Could this be an actual threat? Wait, no, they just pull some new Ninpo out of their asses and easily defeat him.

Grandpa goes up against Kibaoni, but since he's not part of the team he's obviously doomed to fail. And since the series has been constantly talking about how the Ninningers have all surpassed Grandpa, that means any potential threat Kibaoni would have presented is gone.

And while I know that killing Grandpa was obviously never going to happen, because this is Sentai and that's just how it works, the fact that it was never even a conflict just makes the whole thing boring and pointless. The Ninningers are so much better than Grandpa, why would they even need to kill him anyway? In Gokaiger, when the treasure offered the chance to defeat the Zangyack at the cost of erasing the past Sentai teams, the team was conflicted about whether or not to use it. Especially when it looked like there wasn't any way to win without it, and Gai even was convinced that they should use it. It was obvious they weren't going to, but the show presented a situation where it looked necessary and the team even thought they should.

But in Ninninger? They have no reason to kill Grandpa and all of them just go "Yep it's not even worth considering!" I mean maybe I'm being a bit too hasty, there are two episodes left and I suppose next episode could be the moment where they go "Maybe we should" but given how this show has been I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

And you can tell that Grandpa and Dadranger are gonna carry their weight because they're Red, which is the best and strongest color. Though they might not be as good as Takaharu.

Oh of course Grandpa isn't going to be as good as Takaharu. That's been the theme of Ninninger almost the entire show. Takaharu made allies with Lion Ha-Oh, which Grandpa couldn't do. Takaharu made new Ninja Allies, which Grandpa couldn't do. Takaharu made new Ninpo, which Grandpa couldn't do. Takaharu refused to kill an old man, which Grandpa couldn't do.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh, and talking about ridiculous, it's amazing how Kyuemon's backstory fails completely. We're meant to see him taking the Youkai power as this big event that clearly proves either his conviction or the weakness of his heart, and that'd definitely work! For Izayoi Kyuemon, that is. Because it doesn't work at all for Kibaoni Kyuemon Shingetsu, son of the biggest youkai in existance, destined to lead him to glory and completely devoted to said goal, and who has literally no reason to not be a youkai himself.

That part confused me too, it's like there were two different writing teams for Kyuuemon's character who never spoke to each other, and then a third guy got brought in this episode and went "Wait how are both of these backstories supposed to be true at the same time?" and then just decided gently caress it whatever. The only thing that makes "sense" is if Kibaoni's son was somehow a normal human and just happened to decide to turn himself into a youkai, the problem with that is why would he have been a normal human if he's the son of Kibaoni Gengetsu?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

The writing is on the wall, man. The last few shows have been more and more red-centric, and this time red is the special one as part of the basic premise.

Being red-centric isn't an issue if the show is written well, Kyoryuger keeps getting brought up because it straight up said "Daigo has no flaws or weaknesses and is the best ever" and it was still really good. He also came off as a far better character than Takaharu on top of that.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

mikeycp posted:

It helps that Daigo's actor had any sort of acting ability.

Takaharu shouting about how he's fired up is some of the worst acting I've seen and how did he even get the job? Do they really just not have tryouts for Sentai so they didn't know how bad he was or is it a matter of "He's a super popular actor/singer guy so who cares if he can't act, he'll make the show more popular."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

It honestly surprises me how this series had me go from "Onari and Akari are the worst support characters in Kamen Rider since Wizard" to "holy poo poo Akari and Onari are great even if they end up failing".

I just want Onari to succeed at something. This week where he actually knocked the Ganma down with his staff was pretty good, but I kind of want more. I know he's a comic relief side character and he's not going to become a super badass or anything but I'd really like it if his training paid off and he gets to the point where he can at least handle the low level mooks. I guess I'm just not fond of the whole thing where the hero does nothing and is just gifted awesome power, whereas someone else trains really hard but is destined to fail.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Akett posted:

I did only say kind of. As far as I understand it the series has a lot more to do with teamwork than most KR things, but I've only seen the first five or so episodes so I don't really know poo poo.

To a degree, the big thing is that each specific type of Oni is strongest against certain types of Makamou. Hibiki was a drum-type, and early on in the series he fights a particular Makamou that he can't do very well against, as string-type Oni are better suited. So yeah depending on the monster Hibiki sometimes isn't suited to deal with it, and so the others have to help him out. Though of course there's Sabaki, who uses a unique instrument that's both drum and trumpet, but he gets his rear end kicked every time he shows up.

mikeycp posted:

I haven't seen any Hibiki, but I know it takes a big nosedive partway through,

Yeah, right after episode 30, which is when the movie came out and the production team changed, there were a lot of changes in the show's style and themes, and the writing was really poor too. They introduced a "rival" character to Asumu who was a giant rear end in a top hat (played by the guy who went on to become Yuuto in Den-O) and giving Hibiki his powered up form which kind of destroyed the whole "certain types against certain monsters" thing since now Hibiki could go into Armed form with his sword and just do whatever. And well, ending spoilers:

The show had pretty clearly been building up in the first part to Asumu becoming Hibiki's successor, the Hyper Battle Video even has Asumu transform into Hibiki. When the rival is introduced, it changes to Asumu changing his mind and not wanting to become an Oni. On one hand, I sort of appreciate the message of "You don't need to be a superhero to make the world a better place," on the other hand it was done in a very unsatisfying way and threw away all the character development Asumu had in the first part.

The post-30 episodes ruin Hibiki for a lot of people. It still stands as my favorite Rider series, but I definitely understand why people don't care for Hibiki overall purely because of how it turns out in the end.

Stallion Cabana posted:

I'm legitimately amazed he survived so I'm seriously hoping he's just around for the rest of the series.

Yeah it was a huge shock to me that he survived so I'm hoping that he's in more episodes.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

So how come normal people were able to see the Ganma in the most recent episode of Ghost? It didn't seem like a particularly special or unique one, so the fact everybody could see it was a bit odd.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I thought that too but when it's attacking, Narita and Shibuya specifically say "She's attacking everyone!" and "Shh, she'll find us!" meaning they could absolutely see her. I don't feel like they'd make a mistake that big considering the entire premise of the Ganma is "invisible to humans" so the fact this one was visible to everybody puzzles me.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I was hoping the old man was going to take the Necrom Driver but apparently Alain still has it, so oh well.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Going into the Ninninger/Drive crossover felt weird because since Ninninger had focused almost completely on Takaharu, the other characters were just kind of "there" since their personalities hadn't been established fully yet. Zyuohger doesn't feel like it has that problem, all the characters feel unique with their own traits already since Yamato isn't getting all the focus, so I feel like this will be a lot more enjoyable.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

It looks one one of the main villains from the Kamen Rider 1 movie is going to be in the crossover episode, so yeah, this episode probably sets up the events of Kamen Rider 1 like Gaim/ToQger did for the Heisei vs. Showa movie and Drive/Ninninger did for Super Hero Taisen GP.

So I felt like this was really early for Ghost to get his final form, but apparently Kiva got Emperor in 24 so this is only one episode earlier, and Decade got his in 21 I think (though that series was only 30 episodes anyway). It still feels a bit odd that he got it so soon but hey gotta sell toys I guess, and I'm not opposed to it since the enemies are obviously going to get stronger too so it's not like he'll be able to just cruise through battles. Though Takeru's actions at the beginning of this episode kind of confused me.

So I get he's scared of the Ganma invading, okay, fine. Then Javert shows up and fights Alain and Takeru goes "Well so what Alain's a Ganma what do I care." Except that Javert is ALSO a Ganma and while I get the fact that Takeru doesn't care if Alain dies, Javert is still there and obviously isn't going to go "Oh well Alain is dead so guess we'll leave your world alone, bye." So what's the point in not transforming and helping in the fight? And I could maybe understand if Takeru's feelings were "He's way too strong, no way can we beat him" but that didn't seem to be his reason for avoiding the fight.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Ah okay see I was thinking Boost was the "mid-season" just gotten way early, but I guess it was more like Dead Heat.

Stallion Cabana posted:

I think what Takeru was thinking was basically this [/spoiler]

Alright, that makes sense to me. I guess the part I was missing is that I assumed Javert would take Grimm/Sanzo but if you don't go with that assumption it works. Still it seems like the Ganma took the Eyecons for a reason rather than to just keep them out of Takeru's hands, but I suppose Takeru wasn't really thinking rationally at that point anyway.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Speaking of toku toys I don't know if it's dust or what but my Mobairate is being kinda screwy, I tried using the Gao Red key and it kept saying "FIVEMAN" for some reason. The Dekaranger key also kept triggering Liveman.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The worst part about Super Sentai crossing over into Rider movies is that Kamen Rider already had a guy to fight giant monsters, J. But since the Sentai team needs to show off their cool robot it always leads to J getting his rear end kicked so that the Sentai team can come in and save the day, and that kinda pisses me off.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I've watched Shin and I barely remember it, I just remember liking it even if it wasn't what you would call good.

ZO was a pretty decent movie though, but that guy gets almost no mention either anymore, but the villain from his movie (Neo Organism/Doras) was the main villain in the Decade/W Movie Wars which was cool.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Man that Ghost cameo in Zyuohger was basically completely pointless. It was also apparently written by someone who's never seen Ghost, because Takeru didn't go straight to Toukon Boost. :v:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

This week's Zyuohger villain was voiced by Nobuyuki Hiyama wasn't it? I always enjoy his voice.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The W movie is canon to the series (the episode after the movie released has them talk about the destruction of Fuuto Tower, which happened in the movie) and OOO shows up in that to fight one of the Dopants. In addition OOO shows up in the Movie War with Fourze where he gets Double Rocket, which we know is canon because during his training with Virgo he uses it.

Wizard is a bit of an oddity because while he's definitely in Ultimatum with Fourze, his crossover with Gaim in Fateful Sengoku isn't part of the main Gaim series since a Crack appears during the dance-off, and the existence of Cracks being a secret was a big plot point in the series, plus Takatora sees Micchy transform into Ryugen.

But yeah ultimately it doesn't matter in the series, what's "canon" doesn't really matter and as MST3K puts it, "Just repeat to yourself 'It's just a show, I should really just relax.'"

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Wow the sound editing seemed really bad on this latest episode of Ghost, Grandma Fumi sounded like she was talking through her scarf at a couple of points, and the Dark Spectre transformation theme was fighting pretty hard with the background music in that last part.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I got caught up with Amazons and one thing is bothering me. In episode 3 I think it was they're talking about their reasons for doing it and how it's all for the money, and they say "just like Jin." To me that meant Jin was once on the extermination team, but when he shows up in episode 4 nobody seems to say anything about him being there, and they don't seem to talk about him being the red Amazon at all in episode 5 either. I mean sure, it could have been some other Jin, but that would make it a really weird choice to use the name of a main character if it's supposed to be a completely different guy.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

Though one day I'd like to see them try a main mecha that's just one piece rather than being made up of individual ones as we haven't had one of those since Timeranger

Gosei Ultimate qualifies, I mean yeah they didn't get it until more than halfway through the series but it still was a main mecha that was just one piece.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

Oh right, and correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't Build Dai-Oh from ToQger technically count as well? And I guess Plezu-Oh from Kyoryuger as well.

As well as Bragi-Oh from Kyoryuger, but I guess that depends on whether you classify them as main mecha or not. Of all those, Gosei Ultimate was really the only one that was used as a replacement for the team's previous main mecha (though they did still pull out Gosei Great from time to time) whereas all the others got one or two episodes before they became "another piece to add to the super combination."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'm getting caught up on Amazons after I couldn't watch anything with subs for a couple of weeks (eye surgery).

NOOOOO Mamoru ate the human meat! I have a feeling episode 12 is going to turn out badly for him... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

People have a hard time putting down their own dog after it kills someone, now imagine that dog can talk and acts like a cute baby and only ate someone's arm from the elbow down

Yeah that's how I see it, I don't think the extermination team is siding with the Amazons, it's just a case of "one of the good ones." They still think the unawakened Amazons are vermin, but Mamoru gets a pass because he was with them for so long. Haruka to a degree gets the same kind of treatment since he did fight alongside them but he wasn't as close to them as Mamoru was (and Mamoru never said "I'm going to protect Amazons from humans" like Haruka did). Besides it's pretty obvious that Jin has gone nuts after the gas attack and even before he attacked Mamoru they called him vermin for eating an Amazon heart. While Jin shares their goal, they'd probably still be wary of him even if he hadn't attacked Mamoru, because if he's already eating Amazon flesh then it's reasonable to assume he might start going for humans too before too long.

But I do think that in season 2 the extermination team will probably start to sympathize with the Amazons to an extent beyond just Mamoru, though I'm hesitant to say that they'll take the Amazons' side. They could though, on the premise that "We're both pawns in the Director's sick goal, whatever it is."

• Locked thread