Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ultraman is great and superior except when it's not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Literally The Worst posted:

which will probably never be finished because the dude behind it is in japan doing stuff w/ toei

Don't remind me

We're SO CLOSE

I don't even have consistent Dub for the last arc either!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How did the Garo anime turn out? I noticed it got 12 more episodes bringing it up to about the same as a regular season.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

The first season was good, and the second season which is airing in a couple days is going to be trash because it's being written by Sho Aikawa and Toshiki loving Inoue

Oh Jesus Christ why?

Well, I say that in regards to Inoue. What has Sho worked on? ...please don't tell me season 3 and 5 of Garo...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Seafood posted:

Battle Hopper was the true hero of Kamen Rider Black and it was dumb they replaced him with some other motorcycle.

This has been my ten cent toku opinion.

These are good thoughts.

These are thoughts I agree with.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just as a reminder that Ultraman is awesome and will be celebrating its true 50th next year, as this year is the 50th of the company and much of the preproduction of Ultra Q, have this- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjOvth3O2Vs

That is notable for one incredible reason. From everything I've heard, this is a fan movie. A fan production. Or at least it started its life out that way. Then Tsuburaya, as it is wont to do, looked over at the fan production and said "You are now official, have all of the support" and lo it was so.

Tsuburaya is a fantastic company for that kind of stuff really. That's how the newest Ultraman manga got to where it is- it started out as a kind of one and done non profit fan comic that got recognized and made Official. Now Power Armor Ultraman has a freaking Figuarts and is printed in the big group. They're a group that really appreciates and rewards fandom, something I wish we could get more from Toei. Then again they are a much smaller company than Toei, so they can likely afford the personal touch now and again.

Speaking of Ultraman, the original is now OFFICIALLY up for streaming with subtitles!

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/series/ultraman

This is a fantastic thing as the original Ultraman is a wonderful show that's way better than it has any right to be being made in 1966. Some time soon I'll have to go through and make my Ultraman Recommendation Episode list!

If we can get some more Showa Ultras up somewhere, we would have the majority of the Ultra franchise subbed in one form or another and that would be amazing

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stallion Cabana posted:

Is Power ARmor Ultraman the new one where it looked like he was putting pieces of the monsters he killed on him? Was that one any good? The suit looks really cool

Actually! What you are talking about is the newest Ultra series Ultraman X! It is the first ever Tokusatsu series to be picked up by an official subbing source, right here http://www.crunchyroll.com/ultraman-x and get subbed as it airs in Japan.

Ultraman X is a great little show, especially compared to the first half of Ultraman Ginga, that if you're used to the more toyetic side of Toku should be right up your alley. One cool thing it does with the toy gimmicks that I wish Kamen Rider would do, is that it actually uses the toy gimmick from Ginga, Spark Dolls, as a major part of its own plot. It has its own gimmicks as well and incorporates the Spark Dolls in a new way to boot.

X's gimmick entails pretty much what you just said, but it has an even cooler twist. X can summon armor with powers related to the kaiju he has killed, AND, at the least with the franchise hero kaiju Gomora, he will be able to summon Cyber versions of classic Ultra Kaiju to fight alongside him.

As seen here!

It's a pretty creative way to keep things fresh I think. X is a fantastic stand alone series so far, though the last two episodes haven't been terribly great to me as they are much lighter than I tend to prefer, it has a lot of great monsters and moments. Even has two older Ultras coming for team ups, and possibly more on the way which is always nice.

The Ultra Power Armor I was referring to is a manga series called The Ultraman.

It started, as mentioned, as a non profit fan manga that got noticed and made official, and then got picked up and I believe is going to be distributed here in the States. It is about the son of Hayata in an alternate unvierse of the original Ultraman series, where Ultraman left the Earth and no other Ultra returned.

Instead Hayata discovered that he has been changed by his fusion with Ultraman, giving him unique genes that, when wearing a special suit of armor, allow him to harness the power of Ultraman. His son ends up taking the mantle for his father as he discovers his own power and it's a joyride from there.

This is his design, fighting some dude.

I hope it takes off and gets an anime adaptation, as more expansion of Tokustasu is always a good thing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I liked Ryuki more than I do. But man, fuuuck that ending.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Omnicrom posted:

I think I like Ryuki's ending intellectually more than I really enjoy it. The final scenes of the rider fight are really excellent in their framing and editing. I really liked finale of the feud between Zolda and Ouja. The ending is thematically appropriate ending for Ryuki, Shinji's through-line for the series was that nothing could be worth the price of the Rider War. On that note it's an interesting ending in that the hero doesn't win, but still can be called victorious because his ideals are affirmed. And yet despite that the ending feels kind of like a cop-out, and the character development for naught. It looks good under the microscope, but it doesn't really feel satisfactory on screen.

I would have been fine with it if they went all the way. What kills it is the time loop reset button.

Unless you work towards and earn a reset button at the end of your work, which I believe CAN be done, it's almost always going to just make you wonder what the point was.

I haven't seen Ryuki's movie and supposedly that plays more as the actual ending after a few time loops, but I'll get around to that some day.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Gaim is frustrating because it's the series that wanted to do the most with its writing but got screwed by both numerous tie ins that halted the story, general breaks, and toys overriding logical story structure.

And a really terrible tacked on epilogue.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I won't get into Gaim right now because I figure we should be three or four pages in before I start talking poo poo and then getting poo poo talked about children shows from Japan.

Instead here's a toku that's currently being subbed at a pretty good pace that is loving fantastic that never gets any love- JUSPION.

Juspion is being done by Mega Beast Empire, and is a wonderful beautiful show. It's got everything you could want if everything you could want includes insane 80s scifi battles, armored heroes fighting a lot of random aliens, and giant robots punching giant monsters every episode. It's even got a fantastic Evil Juspion named Mad Gallant who acts as the main rival for the human sized battles, and all of the monsters are super creative and interesting.

Go track down Juspion and enjoy the doofy champion of Justice.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

re: Juspion.

So, earlier someone said that Megabeast empire was subbing Juspion. I looked into it and saw this:

this decided it for me. I have to see in what show the producers said "yeah, this is good and cool and makes 100% sense, let's do this."

Embrace it. Love it. Never look back from the Juspion

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Just in time, as I've caught up on Winspector (Hurry Weeaboo Shotgun, I'm jonesin for more Winspector.)

I will note the first ...11? I think? Episodes are a bit sillier than what comes after. A bit.

It's all fairly light hearted and fun, but there's a noticeable change in the show.

The main character's afro gets cut into a normal hair style

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tae posted:

I thought the standard explanation was that the transformation was lightning fast in real-time.

That's varied from series to series, but yeah. Usually when you saw a transformation back in the day, it was pretty well instant, and that's, sadly, a plot point with Space Sheriff Gavan.

A plot point they refuse to ever let you forget. Ever. Every goddamn episode.

I love Gavan, I do, but the forumla of that show hurts it SO bad. YES NARRATOR I KNOW HIS TRANSFORMATION TAKES A BILLIONTH OF A SECOND COULD YOU PLEASE NOT SHOW ME IT AGAIN

For all of the numerous and many flaws of most of Kikaider, it doesn't actively halt the episode to tell you poo poo you already know every loving time.

Gaim, Gaim, Gaim. Keep us posted on your Gaim watch through, Acne Rain. I'm interested to hear where that goes

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
See if you say anything remotely critical about a show, no matter what the show is or how not serious your criticism is, you are instantly wrong and a baby because shut up

I think that's what the message here is

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I have a question

Whose voice was that when the main character was dying due to being slashed in the chest?

Because that didn't sound like his or any other character we've seen so far

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also everything about the show felt really amateurish. The sound mixing alone was loving hilarious. Everything was either too loud or too quiet and then they even hosed up overlaying the OP in the big fight and made it quieter than weapon effects by a huge margin.

The best moment of the show was listening to an old man you couldn't see because of the sun trying to say important things but they didn't dub it so they used whatever poo poo they got from their on set mics which was super quiet and not great quality.

I noticed that some of the voices got REALLY weird- I swear the little "i'm dying' speech came from another person and not the main character, and I could have sworn the old man's voice randomly changed part way through as well

Like, I didn't hate this or anything, but it just felt kind of blase. It didn't offend my eyes like the first episode of Wizard, but the puppet immediately made me think of Ankh and how much better Ankh is.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Poison Mushroom posted:

Maybe it'll get better! It's not the first KR series to have a clumsy opening and recover, right?

...right?

Kamen Rider Gaim had a pretty clumsy opening.

It could get better from here, but I'm honestly expecting Not Much from Ghost.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
KikaiderTalk

I kinda liked that and kind of hated it to be honest.

Hakaider is such an amazing character in the original Kikaider, literally single handedly saves the show from being one of the most unwatchable things I've ever seen, that I despise seeing him reduced to such a lovely role.

However

I like the subtlety that Hakaider was corrupting Ryoma and taking his mind over, because that's how Hakaider should act. Part of what made Hakaider so interesting and unique was that he had the brain of a genuinely good man, but the overriding need and desire to defeat Kikaider.

So too often that detail is either ignored or just forgotten, and Hakaider is just Evil Kikaider.

Or weird 90s Anti Hero, but you know.

Also if I haven't said it enough, and I haven't, gently caress 90% of Kikaider. Not the anime, not Kikaider 01 the live action show, not Kikaider 01 the anime (gently caress 100% of THAT mess), the original live action Kikaider. You want to bitch about Kamen Rider Black having filler? Man, at least Kamen Rider Black always had a great energy to it and generally fantastic monster designs and action scenes.

Kikaider is the most formulaic thing ever made. There are sitcoms that recycle scripts that contain more diversity from episode to episode, and they don't rely on the SINGLE MOST ANNOYING NOISE IN THE WORLD FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME nor one of the most unlikable 'comedy' characters in the history of Toku.

I love Kikaider from episodes 35 (OKay that's a lie, but it ties directly into the storyline that comes after- 35 is super symbolic of all of the worst poo poo Kikaider is guilty of and has some unique flaws all its own!) to 43.

In fact here is my super official patented Kikaider Episode Guide for everyone just to really get it out!

Episodes 1 and 2 for context of the general plot. MAYBE 3 and 4 to get a good idea of the story beats that will be driven into the ground.

And then skip all the way to Episode 35 because you will loving miss NOTHING in between. Then just finish the show and enjoy how fantastic it is and never ever watch anything before episode 35 again.

And then watch Kikaider 01 which was just one huge tokusatsu apology letter for giving us 30+ lovely episodes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Justin_Brett posted:

I remember that guy who said "Gaim has just been so disappointing so far!" after its first episode.

I mean, it kind of was ultimately, but still.

Was that me or some one else.

Because I mostly bitched about the dancing which was objectively bad and stiff.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Reds posted:

I really wish we had gotten a full Inazuman anime, Kikaider vs Inazuman was great.

Yeah it was. The only redeeming thing about the absolute waste that was Kikaider 01 the Anime.

Also, tangentially related to this thread- So in a few days I may have an exciting enough update for my toku comic project Lightning Brigade. So, you know. Cross your fingers and hope that goes well.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Kouta is just

The moment that I thought OKAY, HE'S A KAMEN RIDER NOW, gently caress YEAH was when he got the shogun armor and over his having killed his best friend ever thing and it was great and Takatora you just hosed up man you pushed him to his lowest so he could rise up and

oh, no, we're just going to keep doing this? And he's never going to really learn his lesson?

Oh

Good.

Funtastic.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stallion Cabana posted:

What did you think about Kamen Rider 1 declaring him and Kaito Kamen Riders in one of the movies? I feel like your perspective on it is super different from mine.

I haven't seen the movie yet honestly. I kind of don't want to. It's just a lot of pointless toy smashing and betrays the characters of everyone involved so utterly.

Kamen Rider Ichigo wouldn't give a poo poo if they were Kamen Riders or not. That's not a badge of honor you earn, it's a burden you bear. Even ignoring how wildly out of character he is

Amazon fighting other Riders?

For Fucks Sakes, that's the *ONE* thing Decade got right about Amazon. Amazon is the most pure hearted, nicest, and friendliest Kamen Rider in the entire world. Fourze wishes he was as friendmaking.

That entire movie is just...not something I like to think about.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I watched Garo Crimson Moon.

I am very confused. Like, the entire episode was just baffling to me. The animation is...weird. It looks and feels like an early 2000s anime, when they had just adopted computer assisted animation instead of traditional. Everything is super stiff, the voice acting isn't all that great, the tone is kind of all over the place...

The CGI Garo armor is OK enough, it actually looks like the Garo armor, though he has Taiga's eyes for some reason, but the actual CGI is kind of poo poo and the fights so far are god awful. Really worrisome that the Horrors thus far have been 2D while the armor is full 3D, does not inspire confidence in good fights later on.

The writing was REALLY bad, really stilted and not that great. Also EXPOSITION HEAVY. Why the gently caress are you explaining what a horror is TO A HORROR? TWICE! The main character is also a piece of poo poo and the lead female character isn't much better.

Also the designs are generally inoffensive except for one thing.

The main character has some of the most Anime hair that has ever animed. It doesn't look TOO bad in the opening credits, but it gets really stupid really fast once you see it in the show itself. His hair is Yu Gi Oh levels of stupid, only without the additional insanity of it being multi colored. You'd seriously need iron rods to make it work. At first I thought he was wearing a goddamn headdress.

Like for as stupid as anime hair can get, hair that literally juts out perfectly at an angle and then perfectly bends at a right angle is not hair. It's a mistake.

But

None of it is out and out terrible yet. Like, there's nothing that just makes me want to give up on the show. I just don't understand it. The animation is taking a huge leap backwards compared to the first anime, which had a super unique 1970s inspired style and was super fluid. This is just kind of...janky and stiff.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Like the original Garo anime I can't say I'm terribly fond of- I dislike the design of the Garo armor, I don't care for how young Garo is, and the tone whips back and forth like crazy at least at first. We start with ULTRA DARK opening that's near Berserk levels and then it suddenly shifts into wacky anime times.

...but that's ALL I dislike about it. The designs are loving great, as I said they look like designs from the 70s with modern animation, and even the main character's dumb anime hair is dumb in a good way. It's just a block of hair that goes straight up for no drat reason and has next to no detail to it. It works with the design without being distracting.

The animation is also pretty goddamn gorgeous, very fluid and colorful, and the incorporation of CGI is done excellently.

If you told me Crimson Moon was made in 2005, I'd totally buy it.

AND the first anime had a much more interesting setting, in the weird faux Europe/Spain area, which you don't see often in anime. Action scenes were better, characters are better, voice acting is better... if nothing else the new anime is going to make me reevaluate what I thought of the first one.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I watched the Garo Goldstorm movie.

This explained a few things I didn't care about when I took a sneak peak at season 5's first episode.

Let me get this out of the way. I hate the characters. I hated them all through out season 3, they are the most incompetent, worthless, useless motherfuckers in the world who can never fight their own battles and can say the dumbest things possible at any given time. WHO I hate the most at any given time is determined by who has been speaking the longest at any given time. The only good character in the whole of season 3 and this movie is Zaruba- and he doesn't even talk for over an hour in this piece of poo poo.

I loathe everything about these characters and that they never get any better and never actually develop or change or grow or adapt or do anything resembling justifying the time they waste. This is not the sole reason I hate this movie, though. This is not the primary reason I despise this movie. Even if these characters were great, characters I loving loved and wanted to see more of and wanted to never say a bad thing about, this would still be a dogshit of a movie.

Why?

This movie is an hour and twenty two minutes long.

This movie's plot is that of a regular episode. MAYBE a two parter if you want to stretch it out and include the stupid subplot about Ryuga needing to cleanse his armor for some dumb reason. At absolute best, this movie is merely twice as long as it should be- at worst it is an hour longer than it should be.

And most damning of all, it's just a lame carbon copy of the plot from season 2, but with added cliches and a lack of any of the human drama or interest that made season 2 so good.

So basically this movie is Red Requiem, the second movie, all over again. Where Red Requiem's horror plot was a cheap imitation of the Horror plots of season 1 and only had enough substance to last as long, this is exactly the same. And like Red Requiem, it's a total piece of trash.

Unlike Red Requiem however, I don't even have Kouga to root for or Zaruba to enjoy the snark from. Which is really weird considering Zaruba is in the goddamn movie.

The ONLY plot point I'm going to touch with this, because this alone ruins the whole mess, is Rian's character arc in the movie.

Her character arc is hilarious. She gets upstaged by simple human thugs, and then she spends most of the movie moping about being useless- and then that's it! Ryuga tells her it's OK that she's useless and that's her character arc! Congratulations Rian, you are officially cleared to feel fine about being a worthless load who never does anything to meaningfully help. I'm sure some one thinks you're fanservice and that justifies your existence to them, but I don't really give a drat about that and just what is the point of you. What is the point of any of this why is this why did any of this

I don't know why this was made, I don't know for what purpose it was made.

But the end result is a total waste of time that just explains why Ryuga's armor looks different now and why Zaruba has a stupid loving cover that keeps him from being cool. It's just not good.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cernunnos posted:

Y'know I'm glad I didn't get into Garo at all.

It seems like every post about it is just about how disappointing the sequels have been.

The first movie, third movie, second season, fourth season are all unquestionably great if you want unique toku stuff.

I have not seen the fifth season so I can't say anything about it beyond not caring for the characters out the gate. It DOES have Decade's actor though

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So as I've mentioned before, in the standings of Tokustasu, Ultraman is pretty much Number 1 as far as world wide recognition goes. One solid reminder of this fact?

http://ukiyaseed.weebly.com/ukiyaseeds-other-blog/director-guillermo-del-toro-gushes-over-ultraman-xs-planet-guillermo

Del Toro is a noted giant nerd of anime and, it seems, Ultraman itself. So when X gave him a shout out, well...

I do wonder what sets Ultraman apart as a franchise from Kamen Rider and Super Sentai- Kamen Rider has, in the past, attempted similar things to what Ultraman has done but it's never really stuck.

Especially when the current Ultraman shows are pretty well as toyetic as any Rider gimmick.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Silver95280 posted:

Third movie: is that Soukoku no Maryu? I was so turned off by the third series that I never got around to watching it.

Fourth season: The one with Kouga's son, right?

Are Legs, Black Blood, or either of the animes worth watching?

Third movie is indeed Soukoku No Maryu. It's a pretty fantastic movie, pure fun and imagination from start to finish, and exemplifies why Kouga is the Best Knight of any we've seen. It's also a pretty fitting 'end' for his story. There is one huge caveat about it though that I have to say- it is not a tokusatsu movie.

This is straight up Japanese Fantasy. Like the Never Ending Story, only Sebastian is the baddest motherfucker around and is going on a quest to punch the Nothingness in the face it doesn't have. If you're looking to see Kouga fighting in armor against a bunch of random monsters, this isn't the movie for you. If you want to see him on an epic adventure through a truly unique fantasy land and then go toe to toe with a goddamn dragon, this is the movie for you. Meanwhile Zero is awesome in the real world.

Fourth season is with Taiga, son of Kouga, who does what Ryuga tried to do but actually pulls it off. I actually realized WHAT the difference between Taiga and Ryuga was yesterday.

Ryuga tries to separate himself from Kouga by being a kinder person, smiling, more naive. However he still rides Kouga's coattails as far as being angry, carbon copying his feelings about being a Knight, and the need for a TRAGIC BACKSTORY. Only where Kouga had a sense of maturity and wisdom that balanced out his anger, Ryuga...does not have that. So he comes off as far less competent and far more immature and kind of stupid. And where Kouga faced his tragedies and had them forge him into the man he is, for better and worse, Ryuga went through markedly lesser tragedies and STILL GETS CODDLED FOR IT.

I seriously had forgotten this aspect of Ryuga's character until they met the super magic lady that should be a Watchdog but isn't a Watchdog because for some reason those don't loving exist in Ryuga's universe I guess- Ryuga is treated like a baby any time something bad happens to him. The only time he didn't was when Zaruba got him to nutt up after he lost his eyes- and then his mommy kissed him and made it all better. So I just forgot that annoying aspect of Ryuga- until he meets this lady and she goes on about how what a hard life he's had and boo hoo blublubluh gently caress a duck lady.

Taiga on the flip side is cheerful and happy genuinely, because while I'm sure his childhood couldn't have been ideal- he did after all have a father whose idea of making friends is to smash them into a skyscraper while sword fighting them at super sonic speeds- it was markedly less troubled and much happier than Kouga ever had...and that's a good thing. Because Taiga's story and character has to stand apart from Kouga, far more than Ryuga did, as he's his literal son. He's in his shadow by default. So his air of confidence and humor is great and helps set him up as an individual.

He didn't need the DARK AND SAD backstory because he isn't that kind of character. He wouldn't be able to wear it well.

I have not seen the one off with Jabi and the Priest who's not Jabi but is still more competent than Rian, but it's got Jabi in it so I'm going to get around to it sooner or later.

Black Blood is slow, but I genuinely enjoy the villains, and if you're a fan of Zero its fun seeing him operating on his own. Its a very unique horror plot that Kouga never had to deal with, so it doesn't feel like retreading anything.

The first anime I am reevaluating my opinions on. I haven't seen much of it, as initially I was thrown off by the whiplash of a first episode, but the following episodes seem pretty good and the animation is great.

The second anime, Crimson Moon, I did a rant on earlier in this thread. To sum up, the writing is stilted, the art is bad, the animation is bad, the CGI is bad, and the characters are bad. It's the Ryuga of the Anime Garos only with way stupider, distracting hair.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ignis posted:

Raiga is the kid, Taiga is his grandpa :eng101:

I knew I was getting something wrong.

God damnit Kouga why did you mostly name your son after your dad and not go all the way with it.

Taiga, for the record, is the only actor I would ever have play Guts from Berserk if that ever got a live action adaptation. He's the best.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I considered making another long post about why Season 3 sucks and Ryuga is an awful Knight

But frankly I don't need to.

I just need to lay down one simple fact that reveals the sin of Season 3 and Ryuga.

Gouten is not in season 3. Ryuga is not good enough for Gouten. Gouten is the best Garo thing, without question or doubt, and the fact that he NEVER shows up or gets mentioned is inexcusable.

Even the first anime in the first Goddamn episode at least promised Gouten's brethren would show up in the series! In like the first few minutes!

Because he's a giant mecha knight metal horse! WHY WOULD YOU NOT INCLUDE THIS

IN FACT

EDITING THIS IN

Here is the ultimate Is Garo Good Or Bad test!

Does Gouten (Or A Gouten style horse) Appear?

Season 1- Gouten!
First movie- Gouten!
Red Requiem- NOPE SUCKS
Season 2- Gouten!
Third Movie- Gouten!
Season 3- NOPE SUCKS
First Anime- Gouten!
Season 4- Gouten!
Second Anime- NOT YET STILL SUCKS
Fourth Movie- NOPE SUCKS!
Season 5- NOT THAT I'M AWARE OF

Burkion fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 21, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AzraelNewtype posted:

Yes, actually. Only once, and it's not really Gouten but it's pretty close. Still sucks though.

So I can simplify the qualifer further then

Gouten or No Gouten

Good to know!

....and yeah, while I didn't expect season 5 to get much better, I was hoping it would. Oh well at least I know what to look forward to.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AzraelNewtype posted:

I mean, Decade is loving delightful. Ryuga and Rian are actually worse characters than you remember in it, though. Of course, this also lends itself to Decade trolling the poo poo out of them, so it almost works in the show's favor? I want your wall of ragetext though, so get to it. :getin:

Oh Christ how do you get worse than "Your character arc is you're loving useless GG."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My watch through of season 5 will have to wait til I'm done watching season 4 with a friend.

Thank God for that.

On a personal note, anyone who has the torrents of the SD versions of Garo season 2, the Third Movie, and the 8 bit version of the first movie, would you mind seeding? I just now realized I lost my copies due to computer stuff and need to replace them.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Kyoryuger is the better starting Sentai, actually. Its disappointing ending allows for the sheer wonderfulness that is Shinkenger's endgame to be more fully appreciated.

Also, I never have to watch TV-N again.

UltraSeven X is still TV-N only sadly...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blockhouse posted:

astounding

What is that about?

It looks like, correct me if I'm wrong, one show did a thing and then another show recycled the effects/footage.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rei_ posted:

is this true or are you making a joke

He's making a joke.

Some times they used koolaid too.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Amazon is like Proto Kamen Rider Shin- both were meant to be organic monster Riders instead of cyborgs, both were hyper violent and both tore their enemies apart with their bare hands.

The difference being that one was made on a super low budget at a bad economical time even for Childrens television in Japan, and the other was a modestly budgeted 90s theatrical movie meant to reinvent the franchise and emulate creature feature stuff. So you know, one is remembered for foam and awful effects, and the other is...forgotten mostly. Poor Shin.

Also ironically, Amazon, the most violent Rider, is also the single most friendly and forgiving Rider of all. Seriously half of his early enemies weren't even killed by him, and he ended up teaming up with at least two different monsters at two different times. Fourze wishes he was as friendly as Amazon.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I think I realized why so many wanted my rage text on Garo season 5.

It's because holy poo poo http://over-ti.me/releases/garo-01-02/ Garo is getting re-resubbed! YAAAAY

And THIS http://www.grownupsinspandex.com/forums/latest-news-5/bioman-39-a-10829/ got snunk in out of nowhere too. I'd say it's my birthday but it's actually my moms'!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AzraelNewtype posted:

That's part of it, but also the two of us who were egging you on the hardest worked on its fansubs (and every other GARO, including this new release). :ssh:

Oh I knew that. That's why I linked you to this.

You knew.

Thank you

• Locked thread