Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Man I am not feeling the first episode of Ghost. At first, when the ghosts threw that ferris wheel through the Space Needle I was like, great! I like it when the villains are actually threats who kill people, instead of just making people have a bad day. And I wanted to be like, great! when the main character immediately died, because I like the gritty Kamen Riders where the main character goes through horrible poo poo, but it was all done so toothlessly. Like, he died, but they sort of went over it fast and then he met the funny-talking old man just to make sure you know he's not actually dead. and then the loving puppet on a string shows up, like something out of a Sentai show. I didn't watch past the first episode of Drive because of the goofy talking belt, and the ghost puppet is way worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I will say tho, the bald monk guy is cute.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also everything about the show felt really amateurish. The sound mixing alone was loving hilarious. Everything was either too loud or too quiet and then they even hosed up overlaying the OP in the big fight and made it quieter than weapon effects by a huge margin.

The best moment of the show was listening to an old man you couldn't see because of the sun trying to say important things but they didn't dub it so they used whatever poo poo they got from their on set mics which was super quiet and not great quality.

That was so weird! Why didn't the ADR that, were they running behind schedule or something?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Stallion Cabana posted:

I can agree that it felt a little rushed.

I know this is gonna get people angry with me, but I think it would have worked better as a 2 Parter to stretch it out some.

I actually agree. It suffered a lot from the need to introduce the gimmick. If they had more time to focus on the dude dying, and actually play up that that was bad and these new bad guys are dangerous, and then he gets his base form and defeats one ghost that way at the end, that would've been better. Then in the second epsiode they could've introduced the form changing, spent some time with his friends, and shown his meeting them again in a way that actually had any emotion at all.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I dunno, Fourze had a pretty good first ep, with the enthusiasm and the wire rig. Kabuto had a really strong first episode too.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Re: Ghost episode 1.

I can't be the only one who likes his Tokusatsu just a little bit on the cheap and lovely side, can I? It adds to the charm of it, when the costumes are a bit silly and cheap looking, and the sound mixing is a little off, and you can see the puppeteer's hand and that kinda thing.

One of my favorite parts of Ryuki was watching the Ryuki suit fall apart over the course of the show. By the time he got the Survive upgrade there were literally strips hanging off the base form suit, and it had been clearly repaired with actual duct tape. After that Ryuki almost always came into the scene already transformed into Survive mode, just so they didn't have to use the original suit. And when they showed the Ryuki -> Ryuki Survive transformation, it was all done incredibly slowly, because the transformation mechanism was so stupidly designed, where you put a card in the dragon sword's lower jaw and then closed it, that if they did it quickly they'd probably just smoosh the card half the time. It was great

But at the end of the day, I watched all fifty episodes of Kamen Rider Ryuki because I cared about the characters. I don't care about the characters in Ghost.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
It is such a shame they wasted Genki Sudo on the W movie

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I just saw the Zyuohger suits. They look cool. Is the show any good?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I just heard about Kamen Rider Amazons. It spun out of a movie, right? Should I watch the movie first or dive right in to Amazons?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Burkion posted:

It is not actually. Amazons is entirely its own beast, based on the classic Kamen Rider Amazon series from the 70s.

But there, at least for now, seems to be nothing that connects the two series, so you're free to dive right in.

Just be warned, it's noticeably more serious and violent than most of the recent Rider series.

Thank god. I dropped Drive after one episode because of the goofy talking belt and dropped Ghost even harder after the goofy talking ghost puppet showed up.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Acne Rain posted:

you're already watching a show aimed for an age group decades below you about people in rubber suits hitting each other with toys, embrace the goofiness.

There's a difference between Kabuto and Den-O, though. Just because it's a kid's show doesn't mean there has to be goofy puppets with funny voices

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Burkion posted:

I don't think Fourze translates as a serious series, even at its best, honestly. It's a goofy light hearted show that could be serious.

Yeah, there's a difference between a goofy show that can get serious, like Fourze and Den-O, and a serious show that can get goofy, like Kabuto or Ryuki.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Is Amazons an actual sequel to Amazon, or is it like a reimagining or a spiritual successor or something?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I know that when they do the "normal size desk in an otherwise unadorned giant fancy office", I know you're supposed to think, oh wow, that person must be super important. But I always just think, OK, you clearly didn't want to spend a lot on set dressing and you needed it to be quick and easy to strike the set because some other show films there at night.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I think Kabuto would be better for a CW remake. You don't need the toyetic Gaia Memories or form changes, plus Kabuto has more sexy dudes and a pre-existing wink wink bromance with Punchhopper and Kickpuncher. And CW already has a two person combining into one superhero, Firestorm. I think that alien bodysnatchers would work better in a more adult format than afterschool anti-drug special metaphors where you gotta fix some dude's problem every other episode.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Some Numbers posted:

The point I was making is that Daredevil was successful on its own merits and in spite of preconceived skepticism.

I don't think their was that much skepticism. Marvel had proven themselves with regards to making popular good stuff, and Netflix for making high quality television. People were pretty excited. If anything, it was Agents of SHIELD that had people worried about Daredevil.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Serious Frolicking posted:

Kamen rider is alternately too toyetic and too serious. Market it for adults and they won't care about all the plastic crap it is hawking. Market it for kids and it would end up heavily censored.

That's why you'd have to remake it, and sand down the toyetic aspects. A lot of the seasons of Kamen Rider have really strong stories and characters that would be great in an adult TV show.

I don't think W would actually work that well because if you take away the Gaia Memories, the form changes, and the monsters of the fortnight, get down to just the skeleton of character and plot, there's not a lot left. It's good stuff, but it's good stuff to hang a fun monster of the week kids show over. one of the earlier Heisei shows would be better, or maybe Gaim, because they've got more going on.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Cliff Racer posted:

When you put it like that it could work. Except that when you "sand down the toyetic aspects" and "monsters of the fortnight" all you have is a generic superhero and a few bad guys. Could it work? Obviously, but only because its so drat vague. In that sense you might as well say that pretty much anything from Japanese kids shows could work. Pokemon could totally work guys, just make them adults and have Team Rocket be more menacing! Hamtaro could totally work guys, look how well The Smurfs has done!

That's just wrong. Kabuto has the basic alien body snatchers plot, and strong characters that each have their own arc across the course of the series. It got a loving secret sister surprise, for crying out loud. Making it so that Kabuto doesn't plug all the other Zecters together into one giant sword doesn't change that

edit: what Kamen Riders have you seen that make you think it's just a dude fighting monsters in between form changes? Just Fourze?

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 27, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Elfgames posted:

it becomes so when you start stripping out all the lighter elements from the show.

Literally no one is talking about stripping all the lighter elements out of Kamen Rider

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
We're talking about an actual total remake, not a Power Rangers deal. So it would use none of the footage from the original

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Elfgames posted:

and at that point just use spiderman

Spiderman would be terrible as a live-action TV show. The web swinging would be too expensive and difficult to do often enough, and god knows the licensing fees from Marvel would be crazy

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Cliff Racer posted:

Why do you think we are? The conversation started with someone noting that they could only get four of the Black RX suits to use on the original show and that KRDK was a failure.

The conversation changed, bro, keep up

DoctorWhat posted:

CW superhero shows are the fabed "American Tokusatsu" and are wildly successful. There's absolutely ample room for a Kamen Rider series to succeed over here, complete with Rider Kicks and actual transformations.

What there isn't room for is a footage-recycling Saban project, or for a toyetic merchandizing vehicle. It'd have to be pointed at the Flarrow demographic. Relationship drama mixed with stunt action and big character-actor seasonal villains and wink-nudge references.

A full remake of Double would probably be the best route to success, especially if they just let Phillip and Shotaro date. That'd fly pretty well in 2018.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

drrockso20 posted:

That's something that only really would work for a Theatrical Movie

Expand on that. Why would a remake of a Kamen Rider TV show only work as a movie, and not as a new TV show?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I mean, hell, the remade Ryuki into a magical girl show, so I think that remaking Kamen Riders could work

Cliff Racer posted:

To something utterly farcical? They're just going to green light an expensive production on a show with no clear audience because what, the director really likes KR and networks are throwing money around on whatever? That stuff is expensive to make, there's a reason Saban and Disney recycle footage and even then there've been a few failures.

I don't think anybody seriously think there's ever gonna be a live-action remake of a Kamen Rider show on the CW. we was just talking.

I don't see why we'd care if they did another Masked Rider type show, considering it'd basically be guaranteed to be terrible.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Serious Frolicking posted:

There is no reason for anyone to blow a big budget on a tv show with no pre-existing audience.

Yeah, you'd have to make a Kamen Rider YA book series first

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Burkion posted:

It happened. No one SAW it, but it happened. Got a full series on WB and then that was that.

It was pretty much, and you can consider this as good or bad of a thing as you would like- what if we made Ryuki but as a children's show

On the plus side, it had the unambiguously better ending of the two series!

Was it better than all three of Ryuki's endings?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Literally The Worst posted:

on the other hand who the gently caress cares about blue beetle

People with good taste.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

part of that is their fault. the original jaime series was really good for like 2 solid years, and then went right to poo poo, and the new 52 run was by a dude with no notable credits, just a bunch of 2 and 3 issue fill ins

Didn't the new 52 run immediately kill his family?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

and how long ago was that

(nobody gives a poo poo about blue beetle in 2016)

Why are you so passionate about this?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
There was a Blue Beetle live-action TV show in early stages at one point, you know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElRNinNw96Q

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Waffleman_ posted:

Alright, we're getting a bit heated over stuff that isn't even related to toku now, so let's get this train back on the rails.

Here's some backstage photos of the Red Ranger's suit from the Power Rangers movie. It doesn't look quite as bad when it's not in a lovely over-shopped render.

Once they add in all the CGI details and color correction and all the rest, I'm sure it'll look just as lovely as the promo pics

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I can't get over how much of a loving mess this is

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

that's uh

not that big of a mess

recognizable elements of the costume translated into a biotech lookin suit of armor from the classic spandex

not that crazy. its what the green lantern movie did but wihtout lookin fuckin poo poo

You are crazy. It looks terrible. The blue lines add nothing but visual confusion. A lot of the grey parts seem to be there randomly. The pebbly undersuit and scaley belly imply dinosaur, but nothing else does. And the Morpher looks like an infected belly button. Once they add all the glowy bits in CGI, it'll only get worse.

And "recognizable" my rear end. The only thing it shares from the original is the Morpher, which they shrunk and swirled enough to be practically unrecognizable, and the chest rhombus, which they squished up and made glow blue.

suit looks like rear end

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Those are literally the only distinct elements of the classic suit though you dolt

and they're shrunken and shifted around as to be almost unrecognizable

In the interest of actual discussion, how would you folks who don't like the suits redesign them for a modern reboot movie

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
It's a Power Rangers movie. You aren't going to make that grim or gritty or realistic.
Don't be ironic or self-aware at all. Target the same age range as the original Power Rangers, use spandex suits, and just have a really good script with lots of fun and action. I know they have to change the suits so they can sell new toys, but just do a basic spandex suit with some business on the torso, like Power Rangers always does.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

So literally no change whatsoever I'm sure that would go over amazingly in 2016 thanks noted forums idiot boom boom boom

Are you ok, dude? First Blue Beetle, now Power Rangers costumes, you're coming across as really angry and hostile.

Burkion posted:

Straight up spandex wouldn't fly, yeah.

Going the opposite route isn't the best choice either.

It flies in Japan twice a year

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

The other problem I have right now is were viewing these suits in a vacuum, we have no idea of the aesthetics of the rest of the movie

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Acne Rain posted:

You can criticize something without being able to create your own.

I don't think a Power Rangers movie, especially not as an attempt to get Marvel money, and they're dumb for trying. Everything good about it was either just good for a kid in the 90's and not for an adult moviegoer in 2016 or was lifted directly from a different show.

Yeah, I think that's what it comes down to. If you're making a Power Rangers movie with a target age range in the double digits, you've already hosed up

Good thing I wasn't pulling a kevin smith then and was instead trying to encourage actual discussion instead of "I like it" "I don't" boring bullshit

Jesus Christ

I gave pretty clear reasons why I didn't like the new movie suits, I thought.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

So you're still retarded cool

Which of the two points in that post I made are you responding to? Do you think I didn't clearly explain why I thought the suit was bad, or do you think it's a good idea to make a Power Rangers movie aimed at teens and adults?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

I think you're dumb

Oh sure, no argument there.

Those suits are really terrible, tho. In that first pic released, with all the effects added they looked bad. And they look bad on the set pre post-production. I really don't think movement will save them. Especially with those giant kneepads, I bet those'll goofy when we see them run

• Locked thread