Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
While Taka is still annoying, Kyuuemon has actually made him look better by comparison, since he's such a try-hard the other villains never get to do anything anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I still think Toqger was better at handling the 'Red is the best at everything' phase we're in now, since even if Right was a fair amount of the time, the show seemed to take the piss out of him more sincerely than Ninninger does Taka. Plus he wasn't just the hotblooded idiot trope played straight as an arrow.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

drrockso20 posted:

I'm surprised no one's made any jokes yet about one of the villains looking like Narutaki's Hillbilly/British cousin(seriously seeing that guy's teeth made my mouth hurt)

Never watch Boukenger.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Boukenger is my favorite Sentai, I was just doing a bad teeth joke about Masumi, 'cause holy poo poo.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Brother Entropy posted:

The Gaim/Kikaider crossover had Ryouma putting his brain in an evil robot just for shits and giggles and that alone kinda makes it all worth it

And then seemed to think he had the moral high ground to call them evil after doing that turned out to have side effects.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Rent-a-Bot posted:

It's been one episode, y'all need to slow your roll.

I remember that guy who said "Gaim has just been so disappointing so far!" after its first episode.

I mean, it kind of was ultimately, but still.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Burkion posted:

Was that me or some one else.

Because I mostly bitched about the dancing which was objectively bad and stiff.

Somebody else I think. I seem to remember it being a general statement on quality rather than on the dancing.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That Genma was definitely meant to evoke Tesla, just like the Musashi Eyecon's first opponent was meant to be Sasaki.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I remember when the opinion on Zyuranger was that it was mediocre based on a few people who understood Japanese.

Then it got subbed and oh, it's actually really good.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Maybe they can make Nininger good.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Serious Frolicking posted:

Huh, there are a bunch of rider shows I haven't seen, but a cowardly lead is new to me.

I kinda liked that Takeru actually got scared of Spectre. It's something different from usual, and it makes sense, since he's basically stealing the things Takeru needs to not die. It definitely won't last but it was a good character moment.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 19, 2015

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yeah, Ichijou was vital in a lot of ways and it's pretty clear that early on G3/Hikawa was modeled after him. At least before Hikawa slipped more comfortably into a comic relief role.

My favorite Hikawa moment was when he showed up to the final battle, went "Oh, so you're the one behind all those murders!" and then shot the poo poo out of him with the gatling gun.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Kyuuemon secretly being related to Gengetsu all along!! really does make him less interesting, since there is absolutely nothing interesting about Gengetsu at all.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
There still might be Gobusters stuff in Dino Charge, the season finale seems like it went off the rails pretty bad.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Dexie posted:

In what way?

The Kyoryuger villain equivalents, and the original one who was leading them, seem to have all died when their base blew up. There's another villain they set up before who's replacing them, and he's sort of similar to Enter.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Waffleman_ posted:

Ninja Steel is in fact coming in 2017.

This sounds infinitely better than what Ninninger has had to offer.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

jivjov posted:

Ninninger has just really been a wet fart of a season for me. We're, what, 2 or 3 episodes from the end and it FINALLY feels like plot has been happening for the last handful?

Masakage is probably one of the worst Sentai villains I've ever seen. You get Frieza's voice actor and use him for such a pointless character?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

GuyUpNorth posted:

One miniboss per episode and maybe two for Gengetsu himself - possibly grandpa fades/disappears/dies/whatever and Last Nintality passes onto Dadninger as the power-up to actually take out the big guy. It's not horrible ending if it goes like that, but very obvious and formulaic.

I would be very surprised if Kyuuemon isn't the final boss at this point. But I also wouldn't put it past this show to not do that after setting it up all season.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Dexie posted:

At least the Dragon Quest episode was good.

And it aired right after the series came back to life over here. :allears:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Comparing a cyborg character who presumably doesn't fall prey to old age to the Dark Knight Returns doesn't really fit.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Akashi from Boukenger is my favorite Red partly because they seemed to want to make him the most skilled and experienced member of the team without being overbearing about it. He's not a shouty hot-blooded character, he's mature, and often serves as a kind of mentor figure himself. I can understand why they haven't done another Red like him, though, since that's really because he developed the most as a character before the series.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Dexie posted:

gently caress Ninninger, watch Ghost instead.

Necrom's debut was pretty radical. They're doing some cool things with him. :stare:

DESTROY

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm glad Kyuuemon turned good after all that foreshadowing that that was in him, like...

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Whichever one is the worse of those options.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Ninjadad dueling Kyuemon and beating him would have been awesome, so of course it didn't happen.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Potsticker posted:

I can't even remember the Pisces Zodiart. I just have a vague recollection of being disappointed?

It was that one girl who was in the swim club, she did basically nothing as Pisces.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The best thing about the Aquarius episodes was the supposed rear end in a top hat astronaut she was mad about getting to go into space ahead of her dad looked like Mike Nelson from MST3K. Other than that it was just awful.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I didn't really like what Yuki devolved into myself, but the rest were alright.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I mean to be fair, Emperor was pretty bitching. Shame about the sword.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Robot Girls turned out at least better than people expected, so maybe this one will too? I dunno.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Waffleman_ posted:

Hot take: I like this poster.

"Guys get off the roof already, there's no room for me, I'm gonna look stupid."

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Blaze Dragon posted:

And Necrom specifically, what they did with Alain's sister as Dark Necrom P was terrible.

It's kinda sad the only decent female Rider in recent years was in Wizard of all series.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Serious Frolicking posted:

ghost isn't as bad as wizard, but it has sure been striving to be lately.

At least Wizard didn't devote like ten episodes to fights with boring robot villains.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Poison Mushroom posted:

I mean, we did have Kamen Rider Bravo, who not only survived until the end of the series, but got to be an compromised badass through basically the whole show, so I'm still holding out that a good Rider series is coming to break the curse...

Some time before the apocalypse, hopefully. :negative:

You mean the way he became comic relief and the fact he was a trained soldier became largely incidental?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Stallion Cabana posted:

One of my favorite parts of the Recent Zyuogher Episode:

Banglay summons the ghost of evil final bosses to fight the Zyuoghers and the Gokaigers because of course he does, primarily focusing on series that happened after Gokaiger.

I know it was just a flimsy excuse (and maybe a big part of why Bunglay has that power), but I found it funny they just spat out guys Marvelous had no way of getting actual memories of.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
This week the Zyuohgers fought and killed a monster that was literally just Carnival Mode from Kyoryuger.

I love Zyuohger, guys.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
People dump on Kou but I found him a pretty good character. He's only annoying for one or two episodes out of the 30 he's in.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Leo has had all the best focus episodes, I legitimately can't think of any duds.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

OnimaruXLR posted:

I never really got this take. Time Force is basically Timeranger with less of an edge, but SPD never really delivered on the "It's a cop show! But Power Rangers" vibe that Deka thrived on

Like they always felt like some sort of weird Starfleet Academy thing rather than cops who arrest aliens

It didn't help that they tried to make the main villain this galactic conqueror type, but then they also kept in the arms dealer villain from Dekaranger who was their main villain. So you have this guy who supposedly controls whole planets, but then his whole army are the robotic grunts that every common criminal uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So evidently Goldar is called that in the movie because he's just literally made out of gold.

I get the idea there, since her minions are made out of clay the important guy is forged from a more valuable substance, but it just makes the toy at least look like it wasn't painted.

• Locked thread