Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

Ninninger is literally in a constant life or death struggle to be mediocre at all times. ToQger was at least mostly better.

It's getting better, I think. It's certainly not Takaharu's Sentai Ninninger anymore at least. Also seeing him be smart and not hot-blooded for once was refreshing even though it was basically a gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

NotALizardman posted:

You're right, what the gently caress

Can we get a Mod to change it?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

Ghost looks to be alright so far.

I can't say I love it yet but it's at least decent. Once some more episodes come out we'll really know where it stands. I dropped Wizard partway through episode 6 so it'd have to work to make me dislike it that much.

I hope they don't go too heavy on the "floating around swinging a sword at 1 guy" thing. It's cool when you wire-fu at a bunch of guys but, unless the enemy can do it too, floating around 1 guy is uninteresting (unless they just casually knock him out of the air like they did in this one).

Some midair ghost fighting would probably be cool to see at some point.

The light-up suit looks really cool and I hope they have lots of opportunities to show it off.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

I do think it is neat how they aren't limiting themselves to japanese luminaries. Like sure, Edison was a huge jerk, but his inclusion is better than the usual trip up the rear end of japanese history.

Should've been Tesla :colbert: even if people in Japan probably don't know much about Tesla other than it's an electric car.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

it was an irritating "just talking" when the form was announced, it's irritating now

On the other hand, people getting mad about people getting mad about Tesla is hilarious. If they really wanted an electric Inventor guy though, they should've picked Benjamin Franklin and give him an electric Kite/chain-sickle to use.

Also, Ninninjer is going to end with all of them being The Last Ninja.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

It is so loving weird to see Kaito's actor smiling.

Watch the Gaim Gaidens. You get to see him smiling and having fun

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

I actually really liked Kaito because he took an interesting stance on his philosophy. He's very much a "Survival of the Fittest" kind of guy, but the difference is that unlike a lot of other characters like that Kaito sees himself as weak. His view of the world isn't born out of a desire to justify his standing or excuse him being a jerk like a lot of similar characters, Kaito really does believe that life sucks for the weak and he's constantly trying to drag himself into the echelons of the powerful. It wasn't out of left field when he took the stance he did in the finale, Kaito really seems to hate his own worldview and he hates his lot in life.

As for Kouta I actually liked him, to me Kouta was a good fulcrum point for the show.

The Gaim Gaiden showed a bit more about his roots and reinforces the "Kaito thinks that he, himself, is weak" idea. After his father sold the factory, he basically became a drunk (whether it was due to the loss of the factory or the suitcase full of money or both is left vague) and abused him and his mother and drove her to suicide by overdose. Kaito's father in turn does the same, but by hanging.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

wow that's dark

It's also super jarring in an episode that's essentially a variation on The Prince and the Pauper story with happy-go-lucky SE Asian rich boy Kaito switching places with the Kaito we all know and love

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Quincytbb posted:

So the new episode of Ghost is out I love how stylish his suit design is so far, Its still a little bit annoying how Akari still denies that Ganma exists but the preview seems to show that she gets over her skepticism so I'm not that upset. I love the little details so far, like how ghost's base form without a hoodie is really similar to a base Ganma, and how the suped up Ganma sheds a hoodie when its destroyed.

The substance might not all be there yet so it's not clear if we're getting Wizard or Fourze yet at this point. Also, for the next Eyecon I don't think Robin Hood is a real person so how can there be a ghost of a fictional character/myth/legend?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I think this is what makes me really dislike this show. Our main cast is composed of two incredibly annoying one-note characters, and a hero who hasn't done a lot to make me like him but at least seems to have a bit more to him.

I really hope they improve soon, because a bad cast can make me ignore everything else.

We may have a return of Wizard yet...

On Nin2ger, I would a sexy wasp lady. However, the giant was on her costume was pulling down the vest with the fake cleavage making it look lopsided. Otoh, the new robot whose finisher is literally firing the team at the enemy is amusing. Kasumi may also have a thing for Yakumo even though they're cousins. :shrug:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dexie posted:

Doesn't mean there's going to be an Ishinomori Eyecon in the series though. Driver toys always have weird/extra sounds like that in them.

I think it was Fourze's belt that had a sound effect for a HAPPY BIRTHDAY switch?

It might be planned for the movie.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fooley posted:

I don't know how you'd base a rider form on chain smoking and insomnia but I'm excited to see how they pull it off.

It'd be the power of manga

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Oh geez... um. Not sure how to tell you this.

I haven't been able to watch Ghost yet, but I'm hype to give it a try and I can't wait to see which Eyecons get forms in the show proper.

To be fair, Sanzou is actually based on a real figure, so while there is a fictional character based on him with magic buddhist powers, the eyecon may as well be connected to the real person and it wouldn't matter at all in regards to what powers Ghost gets.

Someone also hacked the belt for a bunch of the sound clips. It has spoilers for the new forms http://kamenriderghost.tumblr.com/post/129659399745/high-quality-recordings-of-all-the-base

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Elfgames posted:

I thought that the one kid with the obviously final boss was going to be like an evil rider or somthing. (Didn't we have footage of ghost fighting some rider looking dude?) I\and there might be some power juggling between the two of them.

Based on previews, there's going to be three Riders: Ghost, Specter and Necrom. Presumably, Specter is the Secondary and Necrom is the Enemy Rider, but it's not clear at this point. The all use Eyecons and at this point, all 15 are known with Specter getting three, Necrom getting two and Ghost getting the rest. There are also other ones loaded in as SFX for the driver, but it's unclear as to what they're for. They may be for auxiliary weapons or for an midseason plot change.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Why hasn't there been a food/cooking themed Sentai or Kamen Rider? The merch practically sells itself

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

John McClane posted:

That said, if this show is about saving people from demonic possession with the power of hugs? I can't be too mad at it.

The final battle will be a minute long group hug against the final bad guy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

Chase was technically introduced in Episode 3. Though he was an antagonist and not quite a Rider at that point.

I feel like we're gonna get introduced to the primary conflict here next episode and the pace is gonna slow down for it. At least I hope that's what happens.

Specter looks more like a Rival Rider than an Ally so far so he'll probably be slotted into the secondary antagonist slot until he fully teams up with Ghost. Fwiw, Gaim had all four of the main riders show up in as many episodes.

Given that all 15 of the Eyecons are programmed into the belt as well as an upgrade for Ghost, I think it's the case that the whole 15 Eyecons in 99 Days thing will resolve itself about halfway or two-thirds of the way through.

In Ninninger news, it seems the writers figured out that Nagi had no character so they finally gave him a bit of uniqueness. Also, Star getting an upgrade apparently.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

Ghost was actually good this week? The fight between Ghost and Spectre could have gone on longer but it was still good.

Ninnin's improving little by little. Kudos to whomever put in Thunderstruck as the special attack name. Also Star's actor doesn't look half bad with that eyeliner

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

It has those sounds because it'll fall into Takaharu's hands forever sooner or later, let's not kid ourselves. Hell, the toy makes it absolutely clear which Ninningers are going to use it and it is the least surprising thing ever: it has sounds for THE TAKAHARU and THE KINJI.

Also the Gekiatsutou might be the most boring non-movie toy I've seen. It's just a recolour of the Ichibantou that makes it look even more like a dumb toy. But goddamn Super Starninger is cool despite being a very small upgrade looks-wise so I'm willing to forgive it.

He doesn't have ninja six shooters to go with his cowboy poncho and it feels like a wasted opportunity

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
With only 45 days left, it seems we might reach the 99 days before the end of the series. Probably around the halfway point

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dexie posted:

http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2015/11/18/14870/

Hey Japan. Don't screw this up. Please vote for Marika and Bravo. :)

(How are the Gaim Gaidens anyway? Worth watching?)

Gaidens are worth watching. We get more Melon and the horrible backstory of Yggdrasil. There's also Kaito in the Prince and the Pauper and his backstory.

Marika deserves a feature. Not only just because female Riders need more respect. Bravo would be a nice and amusing balance and we'd probably get to see him be badass from his pre-patisserie days. Guridon might be worth it too if only as an alternative to Bravo who'd play a big part. Ryugen or Gaim I'd be okay with, but not thrilled. Even less so with Kurogane. Jam seems like a joke option.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FortMax posted:

Fiveman has been dropped. (That was with the TL from Elite Justice)

ALSO:
I really like the design of Bee Cowgirl from this week's Ghost. Also: plot stuff finally happened!

I noticed she had her own Eye belt. I know the mooks have their own belt, but did the other main Ganma have their own variation of the eye-belt?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

jivjov posted:

My biggest complaint about Ghost is with the supporting cast. I can't stand bald monk dude, the villains haven't gotten any real development yet, and overall I'm just tuning in for the fights.

It seems like we're finally possibly seeing why one of the villains is doing what they're doing, but it's a development that should've happened weeks ago.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Motto posted:

Also because it's a merchandise-driven show targeted mainly at boys and those tend to be bad about women regardless of country of origin.

The saddest truth. Kiriko was basically perfect Rider material in Drive, but all they gave her was a gun and special shoes which is more than more female characters get in a Rider series, but still.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Burkion posted:

Oh God that hits all of my NopeNopeNope centers that robot does.

I hope that's just the toy otherwise God Why that poor suit actor

The suit will probably have some exposed joints to enable movement, but we may have that suit actor just stand there while being moved on a track sooner rather than later.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Beast was a legitimately fun and cool character/rider, and his antics occasionally pulled some personality out of Haruto, so he is double good.

I dislike the design of his upgraded form since it screams Egyptian Sphinx and not Chimera. Also it didn't look all that great to me in general.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Last episode had the ghost of Guan Yu (all he's missing is his horse). Also Javert.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

I like how hosed Japan got on the "recognizable historical heroes" portion of their own TV show. It's like a who's who of people Americans might recognize from Elementary School, plus Musashi and Nobunaga.

Also Benkei. Heroes is also a term I'd use loosely as I don't think Billy the Kid is considered a hero like Robin Hood or Edison.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

Should I catch up on ghost?

Ehhh....If there was a summary episode that went up to now, I'd probably suggest that over watching the first 9 or 10 episodes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh man, this is just gonna make it all the more disappointing when the Power Rangers version makes them all humans.

I'd imagine PR would do something similar but never really show them in their animal form (the heads and gloves together). They'd basically skip to the part where they have human forms but still have their behaviors show up from time to time or comedic effect. I'd rather PR not drop it altogether though since that would be a little disappointing, but that's also a possibility. Also a possibility of making Red a bird person alongside the others being animal people.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Just gonna leave this here before watching the newest Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi9PRgjzNbM

This one is also good and feature Micchy getting slapped.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GvuycQqx38

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Elfgames posted:

heh he has a hand gun

It's more like a hand cannon.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Latest Ninninjer has some shots of the next series's mecha in action. It doesn't look as bad as it initially seems but it's only a few seconds worth of movement.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Latest Kamen Rider had a sly reference to Fourze it seems. The legendary soul specials might be leading up to the 45th Anniversary it seems too.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

It should surprise no one that Surprise Future was really good.

And now I want more Drive. Man, Drive was great.

There's still the Ghost/Driver movie which previewed the wedding of Tomari (probably a fake out) and the Chase special set just after this movie.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I can't be the only one that's repulsed by how the Goemon Soul looks on the Boost set. That pale yellow green does not at all go with the red and black.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

That trailer owned and I'm glad we're getting kind of a lo-fi sentai to decompress from ninja hell. That thing looks like it was filmed in like 2004, but with better after effects, and I am 200% ready for a campy Weird Sentai about furries who play minecraft.

e: my tumblr newsfeed is gonna be furious about Asian Guy Dreadlocks

I'm sure there's some east Asian minority group that has dreadlocks or a dreadlock like hairstyle. If not, who gives a gently caress? Dreadlocks aren't a style that belongs to a single culture/region.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The eye piece on Necrom's suit sorta bugs me, but it looks a lot better with the hood up. Grimm looks good too with the square piece and the hood.

Takeru's next eyecon looks neat too, mostly because it matches the Boost suit.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Geddy Krueger posted:

Speaking of V-Cinema, we're also getting one for Drive, and it's about Chase! Not that that's terribly surprising, but I'm looking forward to it because I love Chase. Now if only they'd do a Gaim Gaiden about Oren... :sigh:

Accel appears!

Has the third set of Gaim Gaiden episodes been announced?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

No. Volume 2 was followed by a poll of what Riders people wanted for Volume 3, but whether Toei will actually make said Volume 3 has not been confirmed yet.

I'd imagine if volume 2 does well enough, they could probably scratch out a third unless the actors have moved on.

Oren and Yoko should be volume 3

• Locked thread