Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cliff Racer posted:

ToQger a poop.

I like that Ninninger really seems to be not so much about the red ranger as it is a commentary on what the red ranger's role in a series is. I feel like most people don't get that. They hear the food analogy and focus in on the fact that red/the meat is the best part, not the fact that the soup is better when you have the other rangers/ingredients in there too.

So you only focus on what the series says and not what the series does? Pretty bad way to watch.

Like, yes, the series said that. It then proceeded to ignore it entirely and focus entirely on how much better Takaharu is than everyone else. The Gabi Raizou defeat happened after that. Chouzetsu happened after that, and holy poo poo the episode where Yakkun and Kinji manage to cleverly beat a trap made out of their fear of not standing up to Takaharu, and then decide to just let Takaharu get the glory anyways happened after that. Not to mention how since they got Transcendent it's been nearly always used by Takaharu and Takaharu alone despite being usable by the entire cast, and he consistently gets the finishing blow on every monster despite the episodes focusing on others.

Ninninger has gotten better than it was. It is still not good, much less great. It has become acceptable, something I can watch weekly without feeling like I absolutely shouldn't (which is more than GARO: Goldstorm can say). At least ToQger had really good villains once Z joined, Ninninger can't even say that. Kyuuemon is good, but has only really become worth watching now, the rest are lame as hell. At least Kyuuemon's Qubeley (which might be the greatest mecha pun in Sentai history) is neat. Too bad it was probably destroyed this week by the new mecha.

Apart from Sentai, about Kamen Rider: please be good Ghost. And Garo should get a mention in the main post, it exists too, and it is good! Mostly. Basically all the time except when Ryuga is the protagonist, in which case it becomes bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

FortMax posted:

Blade (starting with ep 22), Boukenger, Decade (eps 1-13), original FMA anime, Angel Cop, Nadesico, and Eureka Seven: AO.

If there's a better way to say "he is terrible" than that, I don't know it.

Like the fact that there's actual good series there (Blade and Nadesico, though I'm going to guess that Prince of Darkness also falls there and therefore that's another terrible thing) are completely ignorable by the fact that that terrible trainwreck of a sequel is also there.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

To be fair, how many Kamen Riders can one really say had good endings?

-Kuuga: Haven't watched fully yet.
-Agito: Okay ending, though the final fight ends in a really anticlimactic way.
-Ryuki: Reset button ruins what could've been a great and unconventional ending.
-Faiz: Terrible ending that resolves literally nothing.
-Blade: Depressing but great ending.
-Hibiki: Haven't watched, but I know that it wasn't very well recieved.
-Kabuto: Nonsense ending, but then again, it shouldn't surprise anyone.
-Den-O: The climax train never ends. There will always be more movies.
-Kiva: Acceptable enough. The wedding was cute.
-Decade: Never resolved who the hell the main villain was (seriously, what the gently caress is Narutaki?). But then again, no story.
-Double: Either you ignore the last episode and get a bittersweet ending, or accept it and get an absolute asspull for a complete happy ending. Either work, but it would've been nice for the series to decide which it wanted to go for.
-OOO: Pretty good ending that ties up loose ends very well and gives Eiji some development.
-Fourze: So I guess someone rescued those guys in Meteor's satellite at some point? Or were they just left to die?
-Wizard: Really cool-looking final blow for a villain that got his place in a very dumb way. Not a great ending, but probably more than the series deserved.
-Gaim: Kaito should've won, seriously. The last episode is terrible too.
-Drive: Great ending to a great series. Basically everything works, beyond Sigma Circular being kind of a bad final boss. Would've preferred an all-out against Banno, but oh well. Last episode was unneccesary, but it did give closure to the Neo-Shade plot that was completely forgotten otherwise, and showed Shinnosuke's growth and where he would go from there on.
-Ghost: please be good.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Acne Rain posted:

If I failed to be impressed by Gaim for the first 20 episodes will future episodes change my mind
I've liked two other urobouchi outings but usually I like the characters better.

E: sick to my stomach, considering finishing it while I can't seem to manage other tasks

The first 11 episodes are kind of setup, so I can see not liking it by that point, but if by episode 20 you don't like it, I doubt you will. If it's not working for you at that point, just go watch something else. If you haven't watched W or Drive, I fully recommend either. Or OOO or Fourze. Basically there's lots of good Riders to watch while you feel bad, and everything is hit or miss.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I can't say I enjoyed Ghost's first episode, honestly. I think I hated literally everyone in it. Akari is annoying and her "OH NO GHOSTS DON'T EXIST DESPITE HAVING ONE RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME" will get really loving intolerable if it continues, and it seems like it will; the head priest is just as annoying despite being in the right but I could see him becoming a somewhat father-like figure and more likable with time. Takeru might be the lamest hero we've had in a long, long while, but I'm sure he'll grow into someone who doesn't make me wonder why he was chosen for the role. I just hope we never have to hear his whining voice again.

Also I keep calling Takeru "Touga". Hopefully that will end soon because this is very clearly not Gravion.

At least Takeru being a ghost is not kept as a secret. I feared it being so and we'd have dumb ways to hide it ala Meteor, but nope, he makes it clear from the get-go that he's dead. And Akari freaks out because ghosts clearly don't exist, sigh.

The parka ghosts attacking the Ganma during the transformations was really cool. I love when there's an actual explanation of why the heroes don't get attacked while transforming. Hopefully we'll get neat use of those like in Gaim with the armour parts.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The thing about Kaito is that what he says and what he does are constantly contradicting each other and as he proves by the very end, on purpouse, which can make him look weird at a glance. If you take what he says at face value, he's a dick who only cares about STRENGTH and POWER. If you take his actions into account, he's got a very strong sense of honour, a lot of charisma (I'd go as far as saying that he's the only Rider in Gaim who actually shows proper leadership), and is pretty respectful towards those he thinks deserve it, and this doesn't even mean people who can fight (see: the little kid at his introduction and Mai).

Kouta is just bad though. He's pretty unlikable. Even as the pure good guy of the Riders he fails, Zack does the job far better.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The new Garo anime started already, right? If anyone has seen it, do say how the first episode was.

Me, I'm not checking that thing until someone confirms that it is worth checking. I fully expect it to be terrible.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Shaezerus posted:

I may not be able to last another ten episodes of Akari violently screeching about how ghosts aren't real despite being physically hauled around by them and harassed by her dead crush's intangibility antics. Between her and Onari it's like having two Shunpeis around.

I think this is what makes me really dislike this show. Our main cast is composed of two incredibly annoying one-note characters, and a hero who hasn't done a lot to make me like him but at least seems to have a bit more to him.

I really hope they improve soon, because a bad cast can make me ignore everything else.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cernunnos posted:

Y'know I'm glad I didn't get into Garo at all.

It seems like every post about it is just about how disappointing the sequels have been.

Literally everything without Ryuga in it (and the current anime, it seems) is actually really good...okay, Red Requiem is not, but it can be safely skipped and it is the one exception in the Kouga series, usually very high quality products.

Skip The One Who Shines in the Darkness and the Goldstorm anime and movie and you actually have a lot of really good episodes, both in toku and anime form (admittedly, much less in the second). Also JAM Project. Lots and lots of JAM Project.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I watched the first...three or so episodes of Goldstorm? I know Tsukasa had appeared already.

I really couldn't stand it anymore and just stopped. So bad. I have no idea why the hell I bothered with the whole previous series, beyond a weird need to see Garo to the end, hoping that it'd get better. It did not. Thank god Raiga and Leon's series proved me that it wasn't the franchise in general that sucked, just Ryuga.

That said, is there anything that brings Masahiro Inoue to bad toku? Decade, Wizard, Goldstorm...I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the guy and he's consistently the highest point of his series (to the point that I'd go as far as saying that he's the reason that Decade is worth watching plotless mess instead of just a plotless mess, because Tsukasa is goddamn great), but I can't think of a single good series that had him. Does he fully know that the series he joins will be terrible and he tries to bring the best he can to them or something?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Stallion Cabana posted:

so for people who are aware of things like the toys;

does the DX Gan Gan saber for Ghost actually do all the transformations that it has in the show, or is each mode a completely different toy?

It can switch between four modes by itself (sword, gun, double sword and...rod or something?), but for the rest of the modes (like bow) it needs other toys to link up with.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Stallion Cabana posted:

I think the Rod is the Naginata from this episode? Unless Double Sword is that?

Pretty interesting it has that much functionality, I'd have imagined it'd be a different thing for each one.

By double sword I meant Musashi's thing, two swords. It's likely the naginata, though honestly I wouldn't know, I dropped Ghost after the second episode because it just wasn't doing anything for me and I'm busy at this time of the year, I'll pick it up if it gets better.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

deadly_pudding posted:

From this post, I thought werewolf power was gonna turn Kinji into some kind of amazing goth cowboy when he's not in the suit :negative:

This was a pretty good episode, but I'm annoyed that Kinji's new weapon has callout sounds that validate Takaharu's catch phrase. It was also cool to see Kyuuemon lose his composure for once.

It has those sounds because it'll fall into Takaharu's hands forever sooner or later, let's not kid ourselves. Hell, the toy makes it absolutely clear which Ninningers are going to use it and it is the least surprising thing ever: it has sounds for THE TAKAHARU and THE KINJI.

Also the Gekiatsutou might be the most boring non-movie toy I've seen. It's just a recolour of the Ichibantou that makes it look even more like a dumb toy. But goddamn Super Starninger is cool despite being a very small upgrade looks-wise so I'm willing to forgive it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That's pretty well-made.

Did his series get any better? I left early on because I didn't have that much free time and it was boring the hell out of me. And I'm okay with one toku of debatable quality at a time.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't even get why Gaim is a choice. He had a whole series, leave the Gaidens for the more minor Riders. And Jam is...why? Will anyone seriously vote for him?

I'm also definitely rooting for Bravo and Marika. Though Gridon would be neat too, and I wouldn't complain about Ryugen considering he's the only one of the non-Kouta mains to lack his own Gaiden.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lots of new Garo stuff coming!

quote:

The first project announced is a show entitled GARO – Retsuden (“Biographies”. The kanji for retsu is written 烈, which means “intense”). It was announced that it will include characters from the show’s history. It will begin airing in Spring 2016.

The second project announced is a new ZERO TV series, which will air in 2016 and once again star Ray Fujita as the title character. Ray Fujita portrayed ZERO in the original Garo series and its sequel, GARO: Makai Senki, before starring in the six episode ZERO: Black Blood miniseries in 2014.

Finally, an anime movie that will feature the characters from Garo: The Animation series (Garo: Honou no Kokuin / GARO: Divine Flame). Voice actor, Daisuke Namikawa and others will return to their roles. The director of the series, Yuichiro Hayashi, will also be returning to work on the movie.

Oddly enough, no Raiga movie as I expected to actually give an ending to his awesome series, but I guess Retsuden will be doing that considering what little we know of its premise.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

What I'll take is that Kasumi is a far better character than this series deserves. Seriously, she quickly became my favourite Pink in history and that has only grown more with the focus on her thanks to Mangetsu, and I'll be really, really annoyed if this ends with Takaharu taking Mangetsu down instead of Kasumi.

Also mecha piloting mecha piloting mecha is great and I love basically every Ninninger unit, even if I dislike how Shurikenjin's alternate formations work.

Sadly it doesn't make up for the terrible Red, how bad the series started, or how bland every villain apart from Kyuuemon is. And Kyuuemon, while good, is not good enough to carry the series himself, he isn't Enter.

Please be good, Jyuohger. Although considering how Ghost ended up, maybe I shouldn't ask for this...

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, they modelled Segata Sanshiro's face and they're going to get all the use they can out of it, huh? I can't complain about that.

Also was that Shadow Moon as the Creation King there?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Stallion Cabana posted:

so if Tokon Boost is some kind of Movie power up does that mean Ghost isn't getting a traditional 'Super' form or 'Final' form?

What? No. He's getting Tokon Boost in-series too, which is needed to use other Eyecons like Himiko. And after that, he's outright switching belts for his mid-season powerup, Grateful Soul. And he should get a final form after that, too.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dexie posted:

Wait, Grateful isn't his final form?

Unlikely. The Eyecon Driver G comes out in March, too early for a final form to appear.

Stallion Cabana posted:

oh then I totally misread what was going on in the movie previews. It looked like He was getting Tokon Boost from his Dad in the Past during the movie, which would have made it a 'movie' power up the same way like Drive Type Fruits was, where it's not really used in series afterwards

You didn't misread. That does happen in the movie, KR wiki says it is known as "Father Soul" then. It might happen differently in-series, I have no idea, but he is getting Toucon Boost considering how there's several forms that depend on it that we know he's obtaining.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Merry Christmas, gently caress Ninninger.

"gently caress Ninninger" was my reaction to it as well, but the three Akaningers might not be all Takaharu, but rather grandpa, dad and son all together as Akaningers. Yoshitaka was always shown with a black and red suit, so it isn't a stretch to say that he might've been the previous Akaninger.

That said, it also basically sets in stone that Takaharu will be the Last Ninja because gently caress everyone that isn't Takaharu, I guess.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dexie posted:

I can't wait to see if the glasses actually do anything.

They do. Takeru can put an Eyecon in each eye, to use the Omega Shine and Omega Flash finishers, which become MEGA OMEGA if he's using the Toucon Boost and Ore Eyecons.

Also Ghost has definitely become better and I'm enjoying watching it. I'm quite surprised, considering the terrible start. Now if only Ninninger got a bit better for the ending so I would have something to remember it by apart from having Kasumi...

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Thankfully I never care much about the main Rider, so Takeru being kind of bland isn't turning me against the series. If anything, he's gotten more tolerable with time, at least he isn't being a complete coward that makes me want to punch him in his undead face now. I do wish he stopped parroting the same two drat catchphrases, if only because they're really lame, but whatever.

I mean, if I had to rate a series by the strength of the protagonist, Kuuga is terrible. And it is not terrible by any means.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

jivjov posted:

At least TAKAHARU IS THE BEST AND CAN DO NO WRONG died down a bit from the beginning. This is still an excessively red-centric season, but its not as egregious any more.

This episode has Tsugomori outright point out that the most important mental support of every single Ninninger is Takaharu.

Takaharu also manages to take what is apparently the Ultimate Shuriken Ninpo and evade it as if it were nothing. And if he had wanted, he could've killed his grandpa, the Last Ninja and constantly a badass, then and there. Even if he's weakened, that's a big deal.

And next episode not only his grandpa (who, fine, has always used the same colour scheme as Takaharu) but his dad (who has always been grey) will be Akaninger too, basically putting in stone that he was the only true successor of the Igasaki school from the beginning. Which, of course, makes the Last Ninja thing entirely pointless, as it could only go to a single person - both the previous Last Ninja, and the super prodigy are red. And from what we could see in grandpa's flashback, so was great-grandpa, the Last Ninja before him. It seriously makes you wonder why it isn't just Akaninger instead of having a five-man team.

Also was it me or was everything in this episode just sort of...underwhelming? Like, I don't mean it plot-wise (in which we can all agree it was terribly underwhelming) but in special effects, everything looked weak as hell. The ultimate shuriken ninpo was just a boring cross-slash with nothing impressive about it, and the Haoh Splendid Buster on Tsugomori looked really weak.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It should surprise no one that Surprise Future was really good.

And now I want more Drive. Man, Drive was great.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hey Insarn, what are you doing here? Gokaiger ended years ago!

Also there's no way the cube one isn't going to be plot-important when he has the same aesthetic as the team's weaponry and mecha.

In current Sentai news, we have a shot from what seems to be the last battle of the series. Spoilers, obviously. Or as spoilery as this obvious of a series can be, of course it's Kyuemon. Daddy dearest has been a non-entity the whole series and can't even finish it, what was the point of Gengetsu?

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 23, 2016

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Don't kid yourself, it'll be Takaharu alone and he'll proceed to teach the Zyuohger how cool he is and how they should all be like him.

He'll then stick to the series forever.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The theme of this whole show is "Takaharu is better". It got annoying by episode 3, and it has only gotten worse with time.

I have no doubts that Takaharu will fight Gengetsu alone and win, while the rest serve as his cheerleaders. It'd only be the third Sentai in a row to pull that bullshit! Though, it'd be even worse here because at least Daigo and Right were likable. Takaharu might be the single worst Ranger in history.

I'm pretty sure Ninninger would've been greatly improved by removing him entirely. It still would not be a good show because it has several more flaws, but at least it wouldn't have Takaharu.

Also I don't get why Tsumuji was constantly shown in grey if they were going to make him red anyways. I get why he's red, because we need to make it even more clear how Takaharu is the best and so the super prodigy and the Last Ninja share his colour, but it's still ridiculous. Also ridiculous: grandpa can transform. He never did it before, including fighting the ultimate enemy of the series, because...reasons? Never explained!

Oh, and talking about ridiculous, it's amazing how Kyuemon's backstory fails completely. We're meant to see him taking the Youkai power as this big event that clearly proves either his conviction or the weakness of his heart, and that'd definitely work! For Izayoi Kyuemon, that is. Because it doesn't work at all for Kibaoni Kyuemon Shingetsu, son of the biggest youkai in existance, destined to lead him to glory and completely devoted to said goal, and who has literally no reason to not be a youkai himself.

Zyuohger's opening is great and its premise sounds much better than this. I dislike every design but that won't stop me from enjoying it if it is better than Ninninger.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Killer Queen posted:

Over-Time finally released the Drive Type High Speed Telebi-kun special and it was hilarious. Tomokazu Seki playing a Roidmude who parodies all of Shinnosuke's catchphrases cracked me up. You can't break the hopes of children with bootleg magazines!

Yessss. More Drive. All the Drive. Give me Drive forever, or give Riku Sanjo a new show.

Shin's high-speed personality was the best part of the special. Hilarious.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It can't be more Red-centric than Ninninger, at least.

We know it has four more characters, being more Red-centric than Ninninger would require the Red being the only member of the Sentai.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Some Numbers posted:

And it was pretty great that half the team bought into his arrogance entirely and the other half not only didn't care, but actively challenged his superiority and tried to ground him.

And then the sixth joins and sees Takeru as his own person and a friend instead of a Lord or rival.

Really, that's what separates both series the most to me: even if Shinkenger is centered around Takeru, everyone matters. Everyone affects the plot, and most importantly, affects each other. Takeru grows a lot during the course of the series, and it is thanks to those around him. Takaharu is dull, he is the exact same person now than he was on episode 1. Nothing affects him, nothing changes him, because he's sold as this absolutely perfect warrior that can do everything great and no one can even remotely catch up to him. We're meant to think that everyone has their own talents and Takaharu has the weakness of being really stupid, but this never affects anything because no matter what the spotlight and credit goes to him, even in episodes that are meant to give the spotlight to others.

Ninninger is a waste of good heroes because Takaharu exists, and it saddens me. I actually really like the main cast, and I wish they got a better show. The villains are, however, terrible and they really fit the lackluster show we're watching.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wow. What a Ninninger episode. It sure was Ninninger.

And by that, I of course mean it was disappointing. It's pretty amazing how the death of someone as cool as grandpa feels hollow. Everyone's reactions are just dull, with the one exception being Tsumuji who actually made me feel bad and keeps proving himself the best character in the show. And of course, that means we get absolutely nothing more from him: he randomly broke an arm so he can't help anymore. You wanted more than one fight that accomplishes nothing from dad and grandpa? gently caress you!

I can see why they're both reds. Their suits will never be used again. Which is what I fully expected, but man, learning nothing from Kyoryuger here. It was bad with Yuuko and Tessai MkII, and it is even worse now because Tsumuji and Yoshitaka have been important to the series since episode 1 and Tsumuji recovering his nintality was the one plot point I still gave a poo poo about. What a waste.

Gabi Raizou and Mangetsu's mum unsurprisingly get really underwhelming bits of fights because they don't deserve a proper ending. And for once I'm not being sarcastic, they were both terrible characters, but piling bad writing over bad writing does not make it good, this was underwhelming as hell. Something I'll admit I did like though, is that Gabi Raizou goes down like a chump, so at least his power level is consistent in that he's still loving terrible, like this show!

They also brought back the Kyuubelei to...beat it down immediatly with no actual effort despite how strong the first one was. I get it was to take Nagi and Fuuka out of the fight and because every episode must have a robot fight but geez, just use giant mooks for that.

And Kyuuemon gets a super mode by absorbing a bunch of Sealing Shuriken. I expected it to come from the End Shuriken, but no, apparently it was something he could've gotten at any point in the show but didn't because...

Perhaps the worst part of the episode, though, was as per usual Takaharu and how he's the absolute best and whatnot. I thought the series was going to shock me by making Yakumo important...but then grandpa's hologram continues until he gets to Takaharu and basically says "yes you'll be the best and beat Gengetsu". And considering he's facing Kyuuemon 1-on-1...yeah, if it wasn't for the preview, I'd be drat sure we'd get the third ending in a row in which we forget this is a Sentai.

God I'll be so glad once Ninninger is done and we can go with cute cubes and really awesome opening.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Shaezerus posted:

It's big and awkward and why does nobody punch him in the enormous lull it takes for him to do anything with it. I get it's a "Why are you letting them form the robot" complaint but Aran just stands there fiddling with the big dumb blocky eyedropper on his wrist for like twenty seconds, kick him in the teeth Makoto

Even if they tried they'd just miss anyways, since Aran/Necrom is kind of broken by virtue of not having a physical body.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

jivjov posted:

Of course it's a repaint of the Red helmet. Because Taka is the best.

Hey, at least this one is a repaint instead of awkwardly inserting two more Akaningers into the team. For all of one fight, in which they accomplish nothing.

It's amazing how Ninninger fucks up even its mistakes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Xelkelvos posted:

Has the third set of Gaim Gaiden episodes been announced?

No. Volume 2 was followed by a poll of what Riders people wanted for Volume 3, but whether Toei will actually make said Volume 3 has not been confirmed yet.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's amazing how underwhelming both final fights were. The Kyuuemon fight is never interesting because it goes from a one-sided but pointless curbstomp to another one-sided curbstomp. At no point is Kyuuemon even remotely threatening, new form or not, because the moment it turns 1 vs 6 the fight is completely one-sided against him. The Gengetsu fight is even worse because it isn't even a fight. It feels like whoever decided this was a good idea watched Shinkenger's finale and entirely misunderstood why that was an honestly cool fight: there, they went with their final mecha combination and by all means they were getting destroyed by Dokoku, with Origami flying everywhere after every blow, they only got the final hit in through sheer determination. Here? Gengetsu never really does anything, Gekiatsu Dai-oh isn't really hurt, and in the end he gets two-shot without ever putting up a fight.

Kyuuemon gets a somewhat fitting end, I guess? It's a way to meld both parts of his character together and get some pity but overall his character was so badly handled that it just feels like too little, too late. At least it foreshadows Megumi Han as Midoranger with the appearance of the Midoranger Shuriken and its connection to Kyuuemon. Nonetheless it is good writing...for a single episode, for a character that's been in this series since the very beginning and was the closest enemy the Ninningers had. His past with Tsumuji goes absolutely nowhere, which is the biggest loving fail in a series full of them. What a disappointment.

Giving up the End Shuriken is the most ridiculous thing too. "Now no one can destroy the world" is not something you can say in a world where monster invasions happen once a year. Even if you want to take Ninninger as its own verse outside of crossovers, you can't, because they've met with NinjaRed, HurricaneRed, Shurikenger and MagiYellow, while AkaRed watched them. So you just gave up on a potentially world-saving device for literally nothing, because the world will be constantly in danger anyways and has been constantly in danger before with no relationship whatsoever to The End Shuriken. Good job, Takaharu.

I'm so glad this is done. I don't want the V-cinema, I don't want a crossover movie, I just want to move on. Please be good, Zyuohger.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dexie posted:

Waaait a minute.

Akared was in Ninnin?

Oh whoops. Meant Akaranger, not Akared. My bad!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AzraelNewtype posted:

(guess who didn't actually watch a single episode of this show at a rate slower than zipping through every 50 frames to find trim points, welp me)

It's fine, you didn't miss anything, Ninninger was terrible.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It honestly surprises me how this series had me go from "Onari and Akari are the worst support characters in Kamen Rider since Wizard" to "holy poo poo Akari and Onari are great even if they end up failing".

It's like the first few episodes were a totally different show. Except in Takeru being lame, that keeps being true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AtheistMantis posted:

Looks like I didn't miss much when I stopped watching Ninninger. The only thing I'm still curious about is the End Shuriken. What was it's deal? I can't find much info online. Was it just an omnipotent wish-granting macguffin or something?

Yeah, basically. It did whatever the owner needed it to so long as the owner was the Last Ninja, otherwise it wouldn't appear. Kyuuemon uses it to summon monsters then the Ninningers use it to unsummon monsters and destroy the End Shuriken itself. At one point the idea of using it for world peace is brought up but it's immediatly shot down because erasing it was better because ??? (okay, the reason was that The End Shuriken was apparently the cause of everything so the world would be at peace so long as it didn't exist, which makes about zero sense because Gengetsu did not attack for The End Shuriken, and the plots of Goranger, Kakuranger, Hurricaneger and Magiranger had nothing to do with it either).

It also kept Yoshitaka alive after he apparently died years ago.

• Locked thread