Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
I really wish we had gotten a full Inazuman anime, Kikaider vs Inazuman was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I guess the upside of Ghost is that they're doing generic Wizard-style two-parters in one episode.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Serious Frolicking posted:

Is blade any good, then?

Blade is great. The first eleven episodes are unintentionally incredibly silly but then the director changes and the rest of the series is excellent. I believe it just finished or is mostly finished being scrubed so now's a good time to get on board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7DGqKYubsE

Speaking of old series with new subs, Orangelion insisting on subbing currently airing series instead of focusing entirely on subbing TV-N-only shows is frustrating now that they're not doing weekly releases for Den-o in order to do batch releases.

Looking at the Nyaa numbers, less than five hundred people use Orangelion's Ghost subs, while five to ten thousand people use Over-Time's Ghost subs. Not to get into sub wars over audience sizes, but they're wasting their time when they could be putting their abilities towards older shows.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

MFC just put out the first six episodes of Space Sheriff Gavan, by the way.

Time to see just how trippy Makuu Space can get.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Burkion posted:

It's also a series that is loving awful to try to marathon watch because of how much footage it recycles.

Transformation stock footage is always a little bit annoying but usually it doesn't stop the flow of an episode, and some times it can even work WITH the flow of an episode.

Gavan's transformation is fine the first few times, but HOLY poo poo it gets obnoxious over his series. There you go, having a nice fun action packed episode, and then he does an awesome pose and transforms! And then the episode stops, the narrator kicks in, and you spend TWICE AS LONG OR LONGER seeing what you've already seen.

Well, that's what the seek bar is for. Their stock footage cannot overcome my ability to fast forward.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Ryoutarou was incredibly wimpy but he wasn't really a coward after the first couple of episodes.

Also, Den-o is being subbed by Orangelion now! Slowly! Painfully slowly! But it's good and you should watch it when the subs are complete.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

There are a ton of jokes that Tv-n's subs miss due to their stilted and bad translation. Such as all of the wordplay humour, for instance. Wait for real subs.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Garo's first anime was average at best apart from the parts involving Gaia for the first cours, it only picked up and became really great in the second half.

As a result I'm kind of expecting the same to happen here at the current pace of the show.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Kuuga was filmed in 1080p.

Out there somewhere is 1080p 60fps Kuuga just waiting to be released.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Sorry, I forgot there was a difference.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Kuuga's blu-rays in January are gonna be a hell of a thing to behold.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

If only Go-Busters hadn't underperformed. Suit design has regressed in a bad way since. Ninninger's suits were a step in the right direction, but these aren't looking great so far. Liveman did it better.

We're never going to get another Ace and that's depressing. Hopefully the suit can at least move.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Honestly I'd argue that Ichijou is slightly more of the protagonist than Godai if I had to only pick one for the protagonist slot.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yeah, Ichijou was vital in a lot of ways and it's pretty clear that early on G3/Hikawa was modeled after him. At least before Hikawa slipped more comfortably into a comic relief role.

Hikawa and G3 were my favourite part of Agito.

A friend I was showing Agito to pointed out that if Hikawa was a girl he'd be incredibly moe and I can't say that he's wrong with Hikawa's clumsiness gag.

I still really like Houjou's character. He was a very well written petty rear end in a top hat who did have some good points in the last third of the show.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

It was great how Hikawa, in G3-X, which merely matches the power of Agito and Gills's base forms, had the best showing despite Gills and Agito bringing their strongest forms to the fight.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Ghost's Driver's voice and jingles are just awful in every department, I can't believe it. The voice itself isn't very good, it won't shut up and just loops everything over and over even more than belts have in the past, and worst of all the jingles for each Eyecon sound bad and awkward.

Spectre's driver is better, it's quieter and its lines flow better. I hope Necrom's belt is decent at the very least. I can't think of any belt I've disliked this much. I've always ultimately liked them.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Yurusen's character is kind of weird.

We have no idea who she is, she hasn't really done much but summon the bike and the ridiculous iguana and occasonally quip, and the role of mentor/supporting character of that type is awkwardly split between her and the Sage. I can't tell if they're just going to gloss over her being around, or if who she is will be incredibly important.

I like that Ghost's plot is completely unpredictable at this point, but that doesn't mean that what we get will be particularly interesting. And Takeru is possibly even blander than Haruto, because at least Haruto didn't parrot the same two lines over and over while being overall kind of wimpy. Takeru feels like he barely does anything between punching Ganma. And at least Haruto had a great personality whenever he was allowed to have it and bounced off of Beast well.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

The Helheim filter and foliage was more effective than it really should've been. The only time the facade failed was when they tried to film in that clearing instead of in the forest.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

John McClane posted:

It's actually a really hard thing to do in a serialised show.
We've finished our first arc and returned to our status quo from the start of the show, but none of the character growth we've seen has been invalidated.

Yeah, sure, people developed, everybody but Takeru, who remains incredibly bland. I couldn't tell you two things about Takeru's personality other than "kind of wimpy". Akari calmed down with the skeptic thing, Onari is surprisingly competent, Makoto is now in an interesting place since he no longer has an agenda, but Takeru is just such a nothing character.

He has displayed little to no personality other than "i believe in myself" and parroting his catchphrases, and he doesn't actually ever help with the Ganma investigations, he just sits on his rear end for weeks at a time while his friends do all the work. The writing hasn't been terribly strong so far but at the very least everybody but him has developed.

And he's never came off as a particularly good fighter which makes him beating Javel effortlessly via raw power granted by an upgrade he was given and didn't work for unappealing. And now Spectre is wildly below him in power and won't catch up until he gets his own mid season upgrade that will then be immediately outranked by the second Ghost upgrade. I'm never a fan of unbalanced power levels.

And on an unrelated note he keeps picking awful Eyecon matchups. He keeps picking Musashi, the worst Eyecon, against ranged users and it never works.

I just feel that the writing is really weak this season in all departments. Nobody has half as much personality as your average season.

Reds fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 31, 2015

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

GuyUpNorth posted:

This sounds somewhat similar to Wizard, except it gets some things wrong and right compared to it. Is Spectre at least a good secondary to play off ala Beast?

Specter was pretty good at the start since he spent most of his scenes telling Ghost to gently caress off and kicking his rear end, but we haven't actually seen them bounce off of each other other than that yet, so that's yet to be seen. Only time will tell if he can hope to be half as good as Beast, the real hero of that show.

Ghost is better than Wizard right now because the supporting cast isn't unfunny and annoying and because there's actually plot progression and unpredictability rather than the plot barely moving for forty episodes and being incredibly predictable since the very beginning, but Haruto at least had a personality that the writers rarely let him display, whereas Takeru just has no personality 100% of the time.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

It seems kinda like the protagonist stuff is split between Takeru and Onari. If Takeru ever showed initiative Onari would lose his role.

The result is that it makes Takeru look like a lazy rear end while Onari does all the work.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Like, hell, this was a sunday morning kid's show right?

No, it wasn't. I don't think it even had the sunday timeslot at that time, although I wouldn't know.

Kamen Rider Kuuga was made with the intention of the director to destroy people's conception of what Kamen Rider was, and he certainly succeeded. For most of the early Heisei KR was a family show and enjoyed very strong ratings as a result with its broader demographic, which is how you get stuff like Faiz where one of the two protagonist murders somebody in cold blood in the first episode then throws himself off a building in an attempt to kill himself. Eventually due to some fuckups the ratings sank and the emphasis on aiming younger to sell more toys rose. Not to say they weren't important in the first place, but still. And then collectible gimmicks became the big seller and things went from there.

I consider Ichijou more of the protagonist between the two anyway.

Reds fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 31, 2015

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

My favourite fights are Kuuga's. The brawling is very refreshing compared to normal toku fights.

Modern Heisei lacks people staring each other down and circling for a while before actually starting.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I still don't know wtf was up with eternal. Did anyone like that dude enough to warrant a movie dedicated to him?

He was played by some celebrity, that's about it.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Dr Tran posted:

Post some of those cool WEBMs I see on 4chan

https://jii.moe/4ydakle_x.webm

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Huh! When did we get webm support?

Yesterday, at roughly the same time we got embedded tweets. Welcome to the glorious webm future, leave your gifs at the door.
https://jii.moe/NJSn_xgdg.webm

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

All I can think looking at it is "rider 3 was a vastly superior modernization of the original suit".

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

It's just so bulky and wide and he doesn't look like he can move very well in it. Rider 3 was perfection, they should've gone for something closer to it.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Necrom had a loving cool introduction, and his brace's voice is awesome. Particularly so compared to the obnoxious Ghost driver.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Shaezerus posted:

It's big and awkward and why does nobody punch him in the enormous lull it takes for him to do anything with it. I get it's a "Why are you letting them form the robot" complaint but Aran just stands there fiddling with the big dumb blocky eyedropper on his wrist for like twenty seconds, kick him in the teeth Makoto

Because Makoto is also waiting for his incredibly long transformation sequence.

Also because Aran seemed to be powerful enough to stop Specter's in-suit attacks without using Necrom.

It's loving enormous because it has to fit in the Eyecon, a brace that used Gaia Memories or even the Switches would be a lot more compact.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

That helmet is giving me some serious Kibaranger vibes.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

What's red and white and coming to Crunchyroll in like an hour?

Ultraman Nexus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaXzYBAjN9s

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Takeru doesn't put in a tenth of the effort the other two do. He just sits on his rear end all day while Onari does all of the investigation work, then he punches Ganma and says he believes in himself despite acting like a wimp all of the time and is handed more power-ups.

At least Spectre has the benefit of having some kind of internal Ganma radar that lets him appear out of nowhere at any time when Takeru isn't around.

I miss riders having monster radars, it saves a lot of time when you can just run straight for the monster rather than dealing with a victim of the week.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Elfgames posted:

you guys are being really hard on takeru

You try to sell me on Takeru. He barely has a personality. "i believe in myself" and "i should protect my friends" is not a personality.

Takeru's power progression is exactly the type I dislike: he's handed more power whenever things start to get tough rather than solve the problem through his own power. It's kind of mandatory these days since we have a shitload of power-ups to sell, but Takeru completely blew through his time limit lazing around doing nothing for weeks at a time and was handed power having overcome no adversity. Takeru has not convinced me that he's done enough to earn his power.

Getting a you stronger form that renders your base form completely obsolete and screws over the second rider very quickly is a constant problem in new series.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Most importantly, it looks like they can actually move in the suit, which means decent fights.

Future ones will probably be immobile messes, but it'll be fun while it lasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

The episode was in a hell of a rush to have a big fight, should be interesting to see where it goes when it calms down a bit.

Red's chain whip sword is pretty drat cool.

• Locked thread