Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If Ex-Aid had a drinking game, you should be required to take a drink every time a character is just out of view spying on someone and smirking into the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Bill Hader as Ugly-Alpha just makes me wish it's bitterly cynical as all hell.

Billy: "That sphinx is a hundred feet tall, and tearing up the city."
Jason: "Doesn't matter, we're gonna stop it."
Alpha: "Mmmm-hmmm? Maybe you should cool your jets, Fearless Leader, and try these..." [pushes button, zords are illuminated, musical power riff] "Or you could try going out there with your little swords and arrows and poke it in the toes. Not really any worries of mine."

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I can see what that Kickstarter's problem is. How many toku productions happen without a huge toy company throwing a bunch of money at it? Like almost none by my count.

Since MMPR seems to be going after the same 16 year old Hunger Games dollar as every Lionsgate movie from last year onward, I thought it might be an exception; but no there's a ton of toys for that thing, too.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So does a whole bunch of rangers mean a whole bunch of robots? Because one thing I notice about the bad, "we almost got cancelled" period of Sentai is that both Kakuranger and Ohranger had a shitload of robots to make into toys.

I always wondered if "too much poo poo for families of reasonable incomes to buy" was part of the reason kids started tuning out.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
"Ranger is actually an alien from outer space" is always a cool idea in somebody's brain, but the way they pull it of is usually pretty bad. Which is a way of saying that I can't enjoy my toku if it has men in fursuits and thus didn't watch Dekaranger past the first episode. I didn't pick the goon life, the goon life picked me.

Guys in what are basically the monster costumes are a different case, of course, because the prop department is weird and creative.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

deadly_pudding posted:

At least watch the episode where Kruger transforms into DekaMaster for the first time and goes on a completely bitchin sword rampage where he takes out a small army and has probably one of the best roll-call speeches in the history of Sentai.

That's like the only thing I've seen past the fifth episode.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
While Dekaranger wasn't for me personally, I could see it fitting that niche of "too goofy to take seriously" while also being praised as good and having some great moments. People suggesting Goonger, however, I don't know what's wrong with them. Nobody should have to watch that.

Waffleman_ posted:

A!
KI!
BA!

If that's where you start, it'll all go over your head save for maybe one episode.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I am okay with these inhuman characters because they basically come from the Monster Of The Week division of the prop department and not the yiffsuit division.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'd give Ex-Aid four more episodes if you're thinking about dumping it. They've been really drawing poo poo out to fill time lately.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This is my first Kamen Rider series and I'm wondering if (series long-term spoiler) there's always a gazillion upgrade forms like have been announced for this one.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

RBX posted:

I fell off during early drive. What KR and Sentai should I watch next to catch up? Are any of Drive, Ninninger, Ghost, Zyuohger,, or Ex-Aid skippable?

Ninninger is near-universally agreed to be completely terrible.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Fans had been doing "serious" Power Ranger fan-films of varying quality and budget for at least five years. The concept of "serious business MMPR" is always going to have a ceiling of boring inoffensive action movie, partially because stuff like Pacific Rim and a million superhero movies beat them to it but also because the silly stuff and bad acting are kind of the hallmarks of the original production.

Then, after several fan films, an official one is made, and people wonder why it's so grim and want to see the team make jazz-hands poses.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

gently caress Whitey posted:

in happier news i finally have a dvd drive for my pc, which means that now i can rip my shout DVDs of zyuranger, dairanger, and kakuranger to stream to my roku via plex

Pssssssst
https://channelstore.roku.com/details/53696/shout-factory-tv

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't know any deep history about Kamen Rider, but would have assumed that a little of it also has to be attributed to Godzilla being a strong message for the other side. For a while, the big themes of Godzilla movies were things like "the Japanese military is always quick to respond" and "even if the military falls, a brilliant Japanese scientist devises a solution".

At some point, you want to see a guy fight monsters without the politics.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I have a group of friends I always give poo poo to for liking Zeon because they're awful poo poo-buckets and also Zeon dropped a colony on my house.

gently caress 'em.

I used to think guys who liked Zeon were like guys who like the Empire in Star Wars. But no.

Guys who like the Empire are usually attracted to the fact that the Empire lives in Buck Rogers Tomorrowland, the imperial aesthetic is always meant to resemble the spartan, spotlessly clean future promoted by Walt Disney and his pals at General Electric and Kaiser Aluminum from 1953-1975.

Guys who like Zeon have basically nothing. They have, "that one kid might have been a good leader if he lived" and "the federation is eventually worse." You can't even really argue that they represent the best interests of the colonists because after the coup they begin gassing colonists and using their colonies as weapons.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
You don't build a wall on the border with Zyuland, you let Zyuland build the wall because they're much more efficient.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
There were at least a couple Dairanger monsters they fought outside of the megazord. I know that the DJ-sounding thing from "Zedd Waves" appears in the same shot as the Zyuranger costumes at least. In fact that was probably one the better episodes from that cast swap time period.

Burkion posted:

Where with Rita, the monster generally was the plan

Island of Illusion, Crystal of Nightmares, etc.
In fact the latter has the best Megazord fight ever.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Larryb posted:

- It kind of amuses me how Gridman and Syber Squad have almost the exact same premise (Though the former is actually kind of bland while the american version is 90's as gently caress, even if it did feel more like I was watching a Disney sitcom rather than a super hero show).

As someone who was watching it when it was airing, that actually made it unique enough to watch everyday unlike every other show coasting along on PR's success.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

aren't they zodiac-themed? it seems like a safe bet that there will be 12 total.

I look forward to seeing whom will represent the one that looks like 69.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I suspect my favorite ranger is going to be green because she doesn't have a quirk.

This show seems to be right up my alley so far, but the cool mech battle just reminded me how Abaranger's first mech battle was a CGI filled nighttime epic and all the later episodes were the old familiar.

"The bad guys have already won" is a common anime sci-fi cliche that hasn't been used too often in sentai so that's interesting. Uhhhh, that's all I have to say.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm glad this discussion happened because "say the go" was the most :wtf: part of watching the episode. Now I know there's a pun instead of thinking that Japanese people haven't progressed past All Your Base as a nation. I now think "oh that's clever" instead of leaning into racial stereotypes.

"Seiza change" would make wonder whether or not I heard them right, but I'd probably shrug and accept it. Which still beats racial stereotypes. Either translation will require a "keikaku = plan" thing for people who have the very smallest of Japanese vocabularies to truly know what's going on, but OT presumably decided their viewer cares to lean more Japanese than I do.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 19, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

They don't translate huge portions of their shows because they're fuckin weebs

I mean that's also kind of why someone would translate wordplay literally without any explanation that there's wordplay going on. So you lost on that account. This seems like one of those projects that needs two subtitle tracks, the one that's all super literal and the one that focuses on clarity even if the results aren't pretty.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I've watched half and half and the episodes I watched RTA were basically identical.

I think I stopped replacing them with Excite at some point when Excite fell a week behind.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'd consider the "Heisei jumping-on point" or whatever to be Timeranger, but given that it isn't completed yet you can either go on to Gaoranger or watch PR Time Force since it's a mostly straightforward adaption and one of everyone's favorite seasons.

Gaoranger was when the mechs started being more CGI and less about practical effects, but Timeranger in addition to being a show people liked is this interesting hybrid of Dairanger-onward mech suits combined with some CGI camera tricks. Your reactions when will alternate between "okay that is one the cheesiest dinosaurs ever" and "huh that's actually an okay low-budget version of bullet time back in the Matrix-obsessed year 2000."

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 27, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

deadly_pudding posted:

I always like when you can tell which scenes were shot/reshot for Power Rangers because the costumes are messed up/different. Like, especially in the old Mighty Morphin episodes, going into season 2 and 3.

I liked In Space because the suits were in good shape, looked neat, and the mechs that got shipped over were limited. They had to make do with getting, say, silver's thing but not getting either of the primary megazords.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I should watch some Power Rangers. What are they adapting these days?

They are presently trying to produce a watchable show out of Nininger by shooting a crap-ton of original footage. Like, enough original footage to remind you of the days of Lost Galaxy where they just said gently caress it and basically made a new show.
I've only watched two episodes of it, but the best part was that the bad guy base is a flying airship that seems to be a 24/7/365 game show studio that operates like a mix of WWE Raw and Let's Make A Deal, where the goal is to defeat the rangers. The crowd is a CGI trick of a bunch of monster costumes, some of which go all the back to Zyuranger. There's a host emceeing it and introducing each week's challenger, though the real bad guy is the Nininger head villain who has been reformed into something similar to WWE's Triple H (in charge, calls himself the champion, bosses people around, acts too tough for this poo poo).

Given the aspect of "You! You there in the third row! Yes, you, you're our next contestant!" I kind of wonder if this season's final episodes isn't going to include a depressing note that most of the audience has been sent down and exploded.

Most of the human characters themselves are well-worn Angel Grove style tropes, right down to That Bullying rear end in a top hat And His Boot-Licking Toady. The only exception is Red, whose dad was KTFO by the Triple H wannabe when he was a kid, then he was adopted and raised doing menial labor on the flying monster gameshow ship until an escape opportunity appeared.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 1, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

100 degrees Calcium posted:

:stare: That sounds amazing.

Well, it has Judd Lynn back after many years, and if you remember his old shows (in Space, Lost Galaxy, Lightspeed, Time Force) the guy sure likes to make all-new footage over dubbing/adapting sentai footage.

And the visuals of the baddie base are pretty neat.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 1, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
What's the best way to watch Kamen Rider ZO? The SegaCD FMV game was my first ever introduction to the franchise. But I never actually saw or "played" it, just saw hype in magazines.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
You guys are really making me think the past two months did something to step up Ex-Aid. I gave up on it eight episodes ago.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Blaze Dragon posted:

It went from good to great once it stopped having an opening and used 100% of its time for the episodes. Even the sponsor part.

I wonder if we'll ever see that opening again.

Huh. The worst part was when the opening was a movie ad. I felt like I kept seeing those teasers forever.

KR as a franchise has so many crossovers that I as a newer viewer coming from super sentai sometimes have no clue what I'm looking at. I've seen a video on YouTube of Dan interfering with a KR Ghost fight(?) Is it common for them to do something like have characters from the next series make cameos in the one that's ending? Because that's a neat way to bait people into the next show, though it forces a linearity so now "200 years in the future, Earth is ruled by a man in a rubber suit..." plots.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I mean people are knocking this movie over things like, "the villain's name is Rita Repulsa, how juvenile." But if she was named Empress Korthuza'ab then suddenly this isn't a Power Rangers movie anymore.

Camp never does well with critics, and PR, the 90s equivalent of an Ed Wood sci-fi, is so campy that you need a tent.

You know what has 86% on Rotten Tomatoes? Star Trek Into Darkness. Ask fans how they feel about that one.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

camp tends to do better in retrospect. batman '66 has finally reached the point where people are watching it and going "whoa this is fuckin legit"

I think it has the benefit of going first. Batman 89 may get that treatment eventually, I doubt the follow ups or movies cashing in on its spirit ever will.

In the realm of Superhero Movies That Did Poorly And Were Forgotten, I just hope PR ends up closer to The Rocketeer (fun weird niche selection) and less like Dick Tracy (so many artistic problems that it's like puke on a screen.)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

mikeycp posted:

there's no way pr will be anywhere near as good as the rocketeer

Would you settle for Batman Forever?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Chat's reaction to the Land Shark attack was just what I hoped.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Vexacus is the best villain. Anyone who doesn't like Ninja Storm should watch that psychopathic shark and just revel in his pure hammy glory. :allears:

They did a good job considering they didn't have Char's voice to go with it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It worked because they did the "teenagers with attitude" thing in a very relatable way.

I had some chatty semi-rowdy teens behind me and when Kim grabs the scissors, one snarkingly remarked "now cut yourself on the forearm", and when she opens the scissors and then looks up and stares at the mirror he actually said "oh sh..." because he didn't expect a movie with the PR license would even go there.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I thought OhRanger sold some pretty drat good toy numbers. I've read that somewhere. The show was screwed up by tone apparently involving an attack on a train station? And depending on who you ask, at some point it turned into a beta test for Carranger.

My understanding though was OhRanger did good enough on toys, but Japan went into one of those melancholy moments like the US did in the months after 9/11 where all we could listen to was Enya and the sappiest U2 album ever made.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I wish there was less of those. Of course, I remember the days of MMPR as a dad, when toys included things like "gloves that make those airwhoosh sounds when you move them" and a whole bunch of licensed other stuff. Much of those things were at least a little creative compared to what I see now. And there's a few less occasions of "let's totally break apart the robot and kick someone's mech out to make a space for this week's new accessory mech".

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
TVN is now subbing the Korean Dino Force Brave show. Hopefully somebody else will, too.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The SabanCU's Captain America would have to be the Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog

Masked Rider, motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm not watching Kyuranger sadly, but before it ends I want to see some sort of reversal-of-fortune monster who reverses the polarity of Lucky's luck, so that he spends an episode with Very Bad Luck. It's such an "early seasons Power Rangers" style idea yet the character's template just begs for it.

• Locked thread