Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Litterbox
Nov 9, 2004
My advice would be, if you don't want to heal, do not roll a healer. One way or another you end up pidgeon holed into being someone's pocket healer since your damage doesn't improve much even with end game gear.

The game, like most mmos, doesn't really allow you to do anything other than a few cookie-cutter builds and succeed.

That said, do whatever you find fun. I personally think a full damage Shaman would be hilariously trolly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Gobbos occasionally get to shoot someone right?

The database stuff they did removed all lag for me. I'm playing for europe though.

Chosen is cool now that auras dont have to be juggled. I'm guessing that's probably a bug.

From what my guild members say its not. Chosen are allowed 3 active auras.

Litterbox
Nov 9, 2004
In relation to Chosen and other tanks, I kinda hope they balance guarding a little better. The other day me and another slayer ran into A zealot and two black orcs and no matter what we did we just couldn't kill any of them. Eventually they won the 4 minute war of attrition and killed us. The Damage absorption or something needs to be tweaked - as a pure DPS class it shouldn't be possible to neutralize your damage with 1 ability.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Litterbox posted:

In relation to Chosen and other tanks, I kinda hope they balance guarding a little better. The other day me and another slayer ran into A zealot and two black orcs and no matter what we did we just couldn't kill any of them. Eventually they won the 4 minute war of attrition and killed us. The Damage absorption or something needs to be tweaked - as a pure DPS class it shouldn't be possible to neutralize your damage with 1 ability.

:downs:

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Litterbox posted:

My advice would be, if you don't want to heal, do not roll a healer. One way or another you end up pidgeon holed into being someone's pocket healer since your damage doesn't improve much even with end game gear.

Did you do much endgame smallman RVR? Shamans, WP's, Archmages, and DoK's all had viable PvP builds. Sure, there were classes that did better damage, and better healing than your build. However, 1v1 or even 1v3, you were pretty much going to win most fights if you knew what you were doing and had good gear.

Also, in lower tiers, those hybrid builds were even better. T1/T2 hybrids were pretty impressive with the top end gear. Add pots and talismen, and you could wipe groups of terribads.

Litterbox
Nov 9, 2004
I had an RR 96 Choppa ... so yeah ... some. My opinion is based on end-game min/maxing though - so as the game exists currently any build is viable. As you get into the higher and higher renown ranks your role becomes more clearly defined by the game's mechnics.

You're right about Doks and WPs being broken in 1vX though. They can do a pretty absurd amount of damage for how much self healing they can also do.

Litterbox fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 25, 2015

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Man I have vivid memories of this balance poo poo for a game from 5 years ago.

I recall wp and dok getting much worse at at soloing as gear got better. No chance vs chosen/kotbs, witch hunter (witch elf you can kill!!), and at best even vs most other classes except the ones that do no damage like blackguard.

Litterbox
Nov 9, 2004
Tanks in general are pretty broken and FAR "tankier" than they are in most other games. They don't do a lot of damage but I distinctly remember 1v1ing this shithead ironbreaker Lockin and he beat me 19/20 times simply because his armour, toughness, and wounds negated or absorbed all my damage. Meanwhile he's swinging away on me with a 2hander.

I feel like the game was 'balanced' for group PvP - if that makes sense. In a group a Choppa or Slayer is extremely powerful. On their own they're really quite squishy. There are some obvious exceptions to this though, KOTBS can do a lot of damage and still sustain quite well.

Key to remember is that the game doesn't even have a 'dueling' function and was never intended to be played that way.

Doesn't really excuse what is honestly sub-optimal design.

Litterbox
Nov 9, 2004

ROR DEV TEAM posted:

Hello everyone!

T3 is finally deployed! So what comes next? Here we go for a new DEV DIARY.

PAST
Spoiler: Show
Since the last DEV DIARY in October (10 years ago, as Coryphaus says :)), all of us have experienced many difficult moments and situations in the RoR world. We were saying T3 was ready, but delayed it due to server lag and DDOS attacks. We felt the need to find solutions for these issues before pushing T3.

Experimental code optimizations have been implemented with varying degrees of success. Hardware has been upgraded, improving performance for most of us. Many options are still open to reduce lag, but they need testing, different skills, many lines of code, even more debugging, and in general, a lot of time.

We are still in this fight, and we won’t back down over new hardware giving us some room to breathe.

PRESENT
*MAJOR ISSUE
Pushing T3 is a real pleasure for us, but as intended, new content = new bugs. Some of you have experienced the “Full Realm”, which at times was actually full, and we discovered a new issue with ghost connections that made it appear more full than it was. These resulted in a greater number of errors and hard kicks. An increased capacity, now with 1000 slots + an “ugly” fix will help with this issue. For now we have scheduled an automatic reboot every 22h to purge unused memory and forcefully remove these connections. Our core team continues to track down the source of the problem.

*THE DATABASE TEAM
The Database team works very quickly to track down and correct as many things as are reported on the Bugtracker.

We have this nice Alpha tag right at the top of the page, which means we need you to report as often as possible to the Bugtracker. Classic quests, vendor prices, missing NPCs, influence rewards, all need to be tested and reported on. Our teams work with what information they have, but with hundreds of thousands of lines in the database, there will always be some bugs when content is released.

A point to remember, abusing bugs leads irremediably to the same consequences: bans and/or wipes. Do your part to report abusive behavior so we can keep the server moving forward without disruption.

*LEVEL CAPS
For now, the T3 level cap is R31/RR40. Some of you are already asking to push up these caps. As we have a need to test higher level content in the world, these will increase. RR40 will be in place for T3 with additional RR’s unlocking in T4.

FUTURE
Some of you might have an expectation for T4 to be at the top of the list. I regret to announce that it’s not the first priority, although that doesn’t mean we will not work on it!

After this major update, the time has come for us to make a small break and refine the actual content. Many things have to be fixed, tweaked, and adjusted. Many mechanics and scripted interactions have to be understood and introduced (consider that’s not easy to find them). There is a lot of T1-2-3 content to add.

We would like to focus on Dungeons (it seems to be a part of your concerns too), to justify all the good PVE stuff (sets), and bring a different experience to players. It means understand agro, AI, script actions, manage timers, loot droplists, spawns, chests, etc etc, a big piece of cake. Some parts are “easy”, some will cause us to lose hair. Be patient as we tune some of these more complicated aspects. This choice impacts directly on the RR cap lock. If we push RR higher than 40, dungeons and related PvE gear will become useless.

LITTLE REMINDERS
You can find on the “About Us” page, a list of the RoR staff and their responsibilities. Depending on your needs, be sure to contact the appropriate person. For example, don’t bother DaScoub (web), Dana (database) or Azarael (core) with a reporting a player who may be breaking rules. Talk to one of our GM’s instead.

The Bugtracker is the best way to deal with broken aspects of the game, complaining on the forums will not only do you no good, but may potentially get your topic locked. For exploits and abused bugs, use the Private Message function and contact one of the GM’s directly if they are not in-game at the time.

Many of you (especially new players) will have problems using the launcher, it’s not a solid piece of technology for us either. 95% of problems are well already known, and the solutions are in the Sticky post at the top of the Technical Support forum.

Often times you may feel your questions fall on deaf ears, but please search first. After a thousand repeated answers, you can be sure our patience is running short. We will be making changes to the launcher itself to provide better clarity on current issues.

CONCLUSION
Like 10 years ago (i.e. last month), I'm still very happy to share this amazing adventure with all of you, as a staff member and as a player above all. I would like thank you - yet again – on behalf of the RoR staff, for making this project a wonderful experience.

Yali & all the RoR Team.

Ehhhh....

I kind of appreciate where they are coming from regarding PvE. If you're stuck on the losing side of RvR pprogress can be pretty slow. However, impproving PvE for lower tiers when the game is essentially a race to level 40 and the 'action' seems like a waste of resources. As far as I'm concerned for a free server they really should just start everyone at level 40 and focus on end-game content. There will never be a large enough playerbase to sustain four tiers, why create or improve content in tiers that are destined to be a wasteland once t4 is released?

End-game PvE is something WAR really struggled with. The gear from Lost Vale for example was decent if you were a healer, but many of the stats were wrong for PvP. Regardless, it IS a nice alternative way to gear up outside of grinding BOs/Keeps.

I dunno I think they need to rethink this direction. I'd be perfectly happy to see them reintroduce Public Quests, and make those into open-world raids that are hard enough to be actually worth the trouble. I also wouldn't mind seeing some of the end-game pve like Land of The Dead made more relevant than stupid rear end OP trinkets. (I had all of them they were broken as gently caress) and ridiculously hard to get.

I think they ought to focus on the area people play MMOs for and not get bogged down by trying to improve the leveling experience... which if there is no PvP is god awful.

It wouldn't be bad if they rebuilt a lower tier dungeon to learn some lessons for when they take on the end-game ones though.

For now t3 is pretty fun though. It's nice to fight at some of the Keeps I always used to say "man it would be awesome to fight here". So that's nice.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
They're making the same mistake WAR originally did: using resources on PvE. Not a single loving player is on the server for its PVE, plus recreating PVE content is a nightmare by all accounts according to devs from other games' private servers.

This is the tipping point for most private servers (in any game) -- will the devs burn out while trying to figure out scripting, pathfinding, and all the janky hacks that the original developers had in place to get their elaborate PVE content to look like it was working smoothly?

Litterbox
Nov 9, 2004
Except in this case the PvE in WAR was jankey as gently caress to begin with. Bosses would randomly reset. Mechanics were not obvious or consistent. Most PVE encounters you completed by figuring out how to bug them, or what rock you could stand on to not get cleaved... It was, in a word, awful.

Now if they created more open-world PvE events I would be O.K. - Like the Rifts in... Rift... Or if they added interesting public quests to the RvR lakes.

This wouldn't bother me if they were like "we want to remake lost vale as a 12-man, end-game raid instance" - at least then it would be relevant once t4 is ultimately released. Releasing short-lived pve content for Tiers 2 or 3 is just pointless since no one will experience it once the level caps are increased.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

"We are still in this fight, and we won’t back down over new hardware giving us some room to breathe."

What in the hell is this even suppose to mean?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I think they mean performance is better because of the hardware (and boy howdy it is), but they're going to continue optimizing the code despite those gains.

Ok, before I make another Magus-like mistake again I'll ask first: is Swordmaster worth a poo poo?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
its an elf, so no

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I still have my big honking CE box and all that jazz from back when, I never stopped being sore about the miserable way EA let this game go out.

But really giving this sucker a download, I'll suffer with yurop servers if it means I can wage WAR once again.

Litterbox
Nov 9, 2004

boho posted:

Ok, before I make another Magus-like mistake again I'll ask first: is Swordmaster worth a poo poo?

Yes. (Despite being an elf)

They're pretty broken in end-game 1v1.

Be a real man and roll a runepriest.

Litterbox
Nov 9, 2004

Yardbomb posted:

I still have my big honking CE box and all that jazz from back when, I never stopped being sore about the miserable way EA let this game go out.

But really giving this sucker a download, I'll suffer with yurop servers if it means I can wage WAR once again.

Roll order and come be my friend.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Litterbox posted:

Be a real man and roll a runepriest.

gently caress that. I went DPS Archmage.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
When I first started, I made the mistake of picking the dark elf healer over the black orc, since it was advertised "you do damage AND heal because you do damage!".

Good lord I was dumb. This was back when I was obsessed with being able to dps as a retribution paladin/get back to my glory days of vanilla WoW where I could throw out burst while supporting.

I think the biggest issue I had with the game though was the lack of feedback, a lot of skills wouldn't play sounds when they were supposed to so I had no idea what was happening most of the time.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Litterbox posted:

Roll order and come be my friend.

Made a Witch Hunter, a Knight of the Blazing Sun as well as a Slayer because I'm indecisive and man did this game have cool classes, I'm struggling to not just make a Bright Wizard (For optimal lame bullshit spellcasting) and a Warrior Priest too.

Also a Choppa and Black Orc on destro cause gotta get back to my WAAAGH roots.

Also for an EU server, I'm getting shockingly good latency down here in TX.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 1, 2015

Litterbox
Nov 9, 2004
Those are all solid choices. Leveling is a bit of a pain in the rear end right now. If we could get enough goons on one faction we could probably get some AOE grinding happening, or force some RvR but I doubt there's that much interest.

Litterbox
Nov 9, 2004

boho posted:

gently caress that. I went DPS Archmage.

inb4 forced to heal.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Litterbox posted:

inb4 forced to heal.

I have no interest in organization beyond open RvR groups, so it's not like anyone will be around to force me to do anything.

That said, the server is dead at US prime time and the unrestricted cross-realming means RvR is either getting farmed or player versus door, so my interest is starting to fade.

Litterbox
Nov 9, 2004
Yeah...
I'm in the same boat. I don't get why people want to spend their time NOT playing the game. On Live regardless of whether there was 300 Order on to 25 Destro I'd still be in the lakes leading my little band to kill stragglers and disrupt flips. That just doesn't exist in RoR and they need to address the problem - X-realming is rampant and lame as gently caress. I don't know how they could prevent it though.

Litterbox fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 3, 2015

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
I do remember this game, it was pretty cool back then.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

RagnarokZ posted:

I do remember this game, it was pretty cool back then.

It's pretty fun now as well. Like even at what people call the dead hours (Couple hundred still on) I still find scenarios and stuff pretty quick when I wanna do PvP junk.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

It's pretty fun now as well. Like even at what people call the dead hours (Couple hundred still on) I still find scenarios and stuff pretty quick when I wanna do PvP junk.

This just goes to show how lovely EA's matchmaking logic was. It's god drat amazing what you can do when you simplify a system that honestly didn't need to be as complex as Warhammer's scenario matchmaking was.

Double Bass
Feb 20, 2011
I feel like I'm the only person who actually liked PvE in this game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Double Bass posted:

There's a reason nearly every Western MMO since WAR has had their own version of PQs; they're awesome, they promote interaction without actually having to deal with some random assholes and they can be modified in cool ways to do stuff for events and other time-limited things. Hell, GW2 is pretty much 50% PQs in its PvE content.

The dungeons and the totally unconnected PvE questing were less cool, or even functional at times.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Litterbox posted:

Tanks in general are pretty broken and FAR "tankier" than they are in most other games. They don't do a lot of damage but I distinctly remember 1v1ing this shithead ironbreaker Lockin and he beat me 19/20 times simply because his armour, toughness, and wounds negated or absorbed all my damage. Meanwhile he's swinging away on me with a 2hander.

I feel like the game was 'balanced' for group PvP - if that makes sense. In a group a Choppa or Slayer is extremely powerful. On their own they're really quite squishy. There are some obvious exceptions to this though, KOTBS can do a lot of damage and still sustain quite well.

Key to remember is that the game doesn't even have a 'dueling' function and was never intended to be played that way.

Doesn't really excuse what is honestly sub-optimal design.

Tanks being so tough to bring down makes sense when you remember that the game is in fact balanced around group PVP like you said. Or to put it another way, a tank has to be strong enough to withstand a raid to make use of his collision and hold a chokepoint. This requires a healer, but when done right could stop 40-60 people dead in their tracks when coordinating with other tanks.

In the later days of the game this wasn't as common due to people whining about a dozen tanks just forming shield walls and holding citadels after the gates fell. So the devs made alternate routes that invalidated a core meta mechanic of the class. Of course, what the devs missed was that that's the point. PVP in Warhammer was fairly unique for the time in that every character had solid collision. And clever tanks made use of this with skills that let them build shield walls to deny enemies access to areas.

It also generated a hysterical amount of rage in the playerbase. Which is one of the reasons why tanks in Warhammer owned. You were the big beefy rear end in a top hat that could ruin dozens of others peoples fun just by existing and being able to work with other big beefy assholes.

TL;DR: If you're playing a tank you aren't the guy racking up a ridiculous K/D ratio. You are the guy utterly destroying the composure of the guy obsessed with it. Warhammer tank classes were the MMORPG equivalent of sniper hunting in a multiplayer FPS.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 13, 2015

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Can't wait for ToVL! :smithicide:

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks, I've never owned a refrigerator

I played this game too much when it was alive, and my experiences with PVE were generally "okay, we finally got a group together!" Followed by "Is it supposed to do that?" and then "Oh no it reset again!" until we would give up and leave.

Thankfully, my Shadow Warrior was more of the "hang out in the lakes murdering low levels" kind of guy. Nothing like one-shotting that 38 Shaman that thinks he is hiding on the keep wall.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Double Bass posted:

As already said PQs were a cool thing that have carried on in other games as they deserved, but I liked the PvE in as much as I got to run around the pretty neat locales reading about bits. That was one thing I liked about the game a bunch, running around the world, finding little stealth interactables and flags and junk, filling out your big book 'o lore to read up on while you were killing time or what have you.

Archonex posted:

Tank stuff

It took me a bit to remember you actually had/have the ability to body-block in this game, which makes being a tank in PvP pretty great yeah.

"Enjoying all those Kotbs debuffs? Enjoying all those DoTs? Enjoying not moving? :madmax:"

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 13, 2015

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

As already said PQs were a cool thing that have carried on in other games as they deserved, but I liked the PvE in as much as I got to run around the pretty neat locales reading about bits. That was one thing I liked about the game a bunch, running around the world, finding little stealth interactables and flags and junk, filling out your big book 'o lore to read up on while you were killing time or what have you.

The Tome of Knowledge was a fantastic concept, I wish other games had ripped it off. I also wish half of it ever worked.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Litterbox posted:

They don't do a lot of damage but I distinctly remember 1v1ing this shithead ironbreaker Lockin and he beat me 19/20 times simply because his armour, toughness, and wounds negated or absorbed all my damage. Meanwhile he's swinging away on me with a 2hander.

I played with Lockin in Myrmidons. He was just an extremely geared IB. The amount of PvE our guild did was pretty dumb, but once everyone was geared, it was game over for about 95% of our competition in RvR.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

I picked a bad 48 hour period to try to pick this up, it seems.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Tercio posted:

I picked a bad 48 hour period to try to pick this up, it seems.

Yep, they have a problem with shitheads DDOS'ing them sometimes.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Archonex posted:

Tanks being so tough to bring down makes sense when you remember that the game is in fact balanced around group PVP like you said. Or to put it another way, a tank has to be strong enough to withstand a raid to make use of his collision and hold a chokepoint. This requires a healer, but when done right could stop 40-60 people dead in their tracks when coordinating with other tanks.

In the later days of the game this wasn't as common due to people whining about a dozen tanks just forming shield walls and holding citadels after the gates fell. So the devs made alternate routes that invalidated a core meta mechanic of the class. Of course, what the devs missed was that that's the point. PVP in Warhammer was fairly unique for the time in that every character had solid collision. And clever tanks made use of this with skills that let them build shield walls to deny enemies access to areas.

It also generated a hysterical amount of rage in the playerbase. Which is one of the reasons why tanks in Warhammer owned. You were the big beefy rear end in a top hat that could ruin dozens of others peoples fun just by existing and being able to work with other big beefy assholes.

TL;DR: If you're playing a tank you aren't the guy racking up a ridiculous K/D ratio. You are the guy utterly destroying the composure of the guy obsessed with it. Warhammer tank classes were the MMORPG equivalent of sniper hunting in a multiplayer FPS.

Ironbreaker is a melee dps class, what are you talking about. Lol if you are using a shield with him because he smashes people to death and caves in skulls.

Litterbox
Nov 9, 2004

Mux posted:

I played with Lockin in Myrmidons. He was just an extremely geared IB. The amount of PvE our guild did was pretty dumb, but once everyone was geared, it was game over for about 95% of our competition in RvR.

Yeah the Goon Squad was on Volkmar against the Myrmidons. It was especially frustrating because both groups were mostly EST and Myrmidons had 10 or so geared RR 80+ folks while my goons basically had me and 1 or 2 others at that level along with a bunch of mid-to-low shitters so we'd get steamrolled pretty badly in scenarios. Was still fun though.

I also remember the Myrmidons were primary exploiters of the broken attack speed mechanics and pain training. For those unaware, attack speed or initiative when boosted through talismans, and other gear (namely some key LOTD pieces) would allow a slayer or any other hard hitting meelee class to strike far more often than was reasonable after a certain threshold. This combined with group targeting and running in a straight line at a target would allow a team to kill nearly any class virtually instantly with overwhelming number of auto attacks.

It was kind of neat but very un fun to be paired against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Tenzarin posted:

Ironbreaker is a melee dps class, what are you talking about. Lol if you are using a shield with him because he smashes people to death and caves in skulls.

Ironbreaker wasn't the only class with a shield dude.