Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
https://www.returnofreckoning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=18602

:munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

I love the part where the guy gets a seven day ban for saying the project lead has a god complex. What a poo poo show.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

this isn't actually reflective of the vast majority of the dev interactions, right? ...right? :ohdear:

I am/was actually kind of interested in playing this. I had a blast spergin as a goblin in T1 RvR back in the day.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It's still fun enough to run around in sometimes and do dumb PvP junk, but yeah the lead dev guy and some of the others have always come off pretty douchey past the initial good deed of bringing the game back.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

That's beyond douchey, its super anti-social / weird. The best is how you can see in the screenshots that the devs party members were telling him to calm down.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I am shocked, shocked, to find that someone who devoted their time to bringing back WAR turned out to be a weird idiot.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

lol I love the developer smugly posting the screenshots as if they help his side.

What an rear end clown.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Resistance is futile. You will retract the ROFL.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!
Wow, I'm glad I read the recent posts in this thread before trying out this server. The entire dev team sound like total asshats.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

FunkMonkey posted:

Resistance is futile. You will retract the ROFL.

You have 10 seconds to comply.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I must be the odd person out. Don't think the dev did anything really terrible or weird. They probably deal with asshats all day long.

The call out thread from the moron that got exiled is way better.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Yeah I've also had to admin in the past so this didn't seem that unusual (although I didn't look too closely)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

It was mostly just the funny sounding way they worded it, the other guy was sounding like a jackass but yeah.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!
Yeah, reading some of the admin/gm replies elsewhere in that ban appeal forum, they use really bizarre stilted language and phrasing. Also, they seem to have a super toxic attitude, which really doesn't make me want to try it out, but I guess that makes me not someone they'd want around anyway.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Zelmel posted:

Yeah, reading some of the admin/gm replies elsewhere in that ban appeal forum, they use really bizarre stilted language and phrasing. Also, they seem to have a super toxic attitude, which really doesn't make me want to try it out, but I guess that makes me not someone they'd want around anyway.

It's cause the lead person is french if I remember right, so they've got some grammar weirdness at times I guess.

Also in a pretty good chunk of time I've never had a bad run-in with any of them myself, just don't poo poo up advice/world channels or be rude to people and you're good as far as I've seen. :shrug:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 6, 2016

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Are you kidding? YOU WILL RETRACT THE ROFL

Holy moly

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

In seriousness, I don't really have a problem with the admin's decision, but I think the way he conducted himself was unnecessarily harsh and awkward. He probably just meant to be firm and it came across as weird and overbearing. Regardless, I agree that the guy's protest post was equally ridiculous - they personally revived the game and are sharing it out for free, so I think they have all the right to throw around as much weight as they wish. I really don't know what he was expecting bringing that kind of complaint to the same people who punished him in the first place.

Anywhoo, I actually have fond memories of WAR so I think I'll give it a shot. It's not like there aren't a million other things to do with my time if I run afoul of the wrong people.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Yardbomb posted:

It's cause the lead person is french if I remember right, so they've got some grammar weirdness at times I guess.

Also in a pretty good chunk of time I've never had a bad run-in with any of them myself, just don't poo poo up advice/world channels or be rude to people and you're good as far as I've seen. :shrug:

Pretty much this. Just dont be an assclown on the advice or role playing channel. To be honest they have improved the game since i started playing there like 7 months ago.

Also after they launched t3 or t4 they did a wipe. so i lost my destro characters :(.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I wish I had known about the wipe ;(

Not sure I feel like grinding that poo poo out again.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Stanley Pain posted:

Yeah I wish I had known about the wipe ;(

Not sure I feel like grinding that poo poo out again.

Taking a break from ESO so i started a order WH.
Let the grind begin. :(

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
FInally got this game to work again, and it's just like I remember it, janky but lovable. Got a choppa to 10 so far, and ground out some RVR in Tier 1 to get the decimator set. Was able to skip 2 chapters of PvE stuff too. During retail I never really got past the first half of Tier 2 on either side, but I did do that f2p fairwell stuff they had, so I got to see some of T4, so I'n looking forward to getting to see what I missed, even if the game isn't great. I wish we had a goon guild still, though it looks like everything imploded beyond saving a while back.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Any goons still playing this game? Never played retail, and just got into this game in January. Best drat PvP I've ever experienced!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Still been playing around here and there myself, organized stuff went wonky it seems so it's pretty much just find a group of people that seem decent among pubs.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Update: Got to 40 with my WP and I'd have to say that T4 is fairly active, although I think a lot of xrealmers switch to whichever side comes out on top in Praag, Black Fire, and Dragonwake. SCs are mostly dominated by premades per usual. It will be interesting to see where the devs go from here.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Recently found some old interface mods on my computer for WAR, what version are these guys on and would everything work?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's version 1.4.8. so it has the redone starting zones after they streamlined everything. Sadly no more racial starting areas, I will miss the ork newbie lands.
In this thing as Dreadwroth probably a boring Chosen or Ork of some sort.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Anybody playing this?

E: This is taking forever to get a registration e-mail.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 20, 2017

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Firstborn posted:

Anybody playing this?

E: This is taking forever to get a registration e-mail.

I play on and off, but haven't played for... a month or so? Definitely worth playing. Not sure how active RvR is these days, but I imagine it's robust.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'd like to give it a shot, but still haven't received an activation e-mail after trying to get them to re-send it multiple times. Maybe it's closed for new players?

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Firstborn posted:

I'd like to give it a shot, but still haven't received an activation e-mail after trying to get them to re-send it multiple times. Maybe it's closed for new players?

I don't think it's closed for new players - might just be taking a while for the email to send.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I got to play some today... I miss this old dumb game. I wonder where it'd be if they kept it going.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dreadwroth posted:

It's version 1.4.8. so it has the redone starting zones after they streamlined everything. Sadly no more racial starting areas, I will miss the ork newbie lands.
In this thing as Dreadwroth probably a boring Chosen or Ork of some sort.

If you use your book of hearthstone it teleports you to your racial starting zone.

Which of the three flavors of healer do I go with if I want everyone to love me and carry bad people to victory?

BuckFiddy
Aug 4, 2017

Blast of Confetti posted:

If you use your book of hearthstone it teleports you to your racial starting zone.

Which of the three flavors of healer do I go with if I want everyone to love me and carry bad people to victory?

I'd say go with rune priest or zealot.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I absolutely loved the pvp in this game, and the RvR poo poo was real fun too, but gently caress these developers. The developers are way too involved with trying to micro manage player actions. One dude is sharing a PC with his brother who has PTSD, the devs are accusing him of ban evasion because of multiple accounts from the same IP.

The guy tried to appeal and this was part of the response

A terrible nerd posted:

Now what had originally been a 1day ban is going to be quite a bit longer than that and your evasion account is getting perm'd. Hope that wasn't actually an older brother, he might get upset.

Turns out, one of the devs can vouch for the kids story, so they eventually unban the other account, but still ban dude's.

They constantly delete posts saying the ban appeal forum isn't a peanut gallery, but it's loving open and viewable to the public. But it's not a peanut gallery. It's a LOLpleb power trip, and these guys can stick this server waaaaaay up their asses. They act as though they were slighted by Blizzard or some other mmo developer, and are using this as a vehicle to exact revenge like a child acting out against their parents.

I loved this game, but I'm not going to consider getting in on this if this is how it's managed. It's a shame really, because I was pretty hyped to get back in, but not if I'm going to be banned for naming my character Fartballs, or some other perceived slight against the Holy and Just word of our sovereign that have graced us such splendor and generosity.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
On the plus side that Azarael guy stepped down a while back.

How is this game still even going on? They distribute the full client... no other dead MMO EMU gets away with that.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I absolutely loved the pvp in this game, and the RvR poo poo was real fun too, but gently caress these developers. The developers are way too involved with trying to micro manage player actions. One dude is sharing a PC with his brother who has PTSD, the devs are accusing him of ban evasion because of multiple accounts from the same IP.

The guy tried to appeal and this was part of the response

Turns out, one of the devs can vouch for the kids story, so they eventually unban the other account, but still ban dude's.

They constantly delete posts saying the ban appeal forum isn't a peanut gallery, but it's loving open and viewable to the public. But it's not a peanut gallery. It's a LOLpleb power trip, and these guys can stick this server waaaaaay up their asses. They act as though they were slighted by Blizzard or some other mmo developer, and are using this as a vehicle to exact revenge like a child acting out against their parents.

I loved this game, but I'm not going to consider getting in on this if this is how it's managed. It's a shame really, because I was pretty hyped to get back in, but not if I'm going to be banned for naming my character Fartballs, or some other perceived slight against the Holy and Just word of our sovereign that have graced us such splendor and generosity.

The dev's and GM's can be a bit heavy handed in this game. I've seen them hand out 6-12 hour chat probations for posting in the wrong chat channel.

Like someone constantly posting that he's looking for a group to run Scenarios in the main chat channel.

I was suspended for like 3 hours from chat in the middle of last year for typing " :i put on my Wizards hat and Wizards robe: " in the Roleplay channel.

Im not even sure why i was suspeneded.

But they have made some nice advancements in the game. T2-T3 really doesnt exists so when you hit 16 you have to group with the 40 level ppl
and run with them to gain levels unless you want to do the T2-T3 quests solo.

I just ignore the GM's and try not to do anything stupid that will get me banned.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

iminers posted:

I just ignore the GM's and try not to do anything stupid that will get me banned.

Yeah, if you stay out of the chat you don't really have anything to worry about.

I admit, I hop on and run a few scenarios every couple weeks just for funsies.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I mean, if there is a goon presence for some in game bs'ing and dumb question asking, I'd be down to jump back in. I just don't want to have to prostrate myself in a forum every time I accidentally post something the devs deem inappropriate for whatever given channel.

Is the pvp arena functional? There was nothing better than knocking people into lava over and over again, or just making GBS threads massive aoe damage into hordes with my sorcerer.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I mean, if there is a goon presence for some in game bs'ing and dumb question asking, I'd be down to jump back in. I just don't want to have to prostrate myself in a forum every time I accidentally post something the devs deem inappropriate for whatever given channel.

Is the pvp arena functional? There was nothing better than knocking people into lava over and over again, or just making GBS threads massive aoe damage into hordes with my sorcerer.

If your talking about the mountain with the lava all around yes. And yea it's fun to punt the other team into the lava.

As for the chat channels just keep it nice and clean and the GM,s really won't gently caress with ya.

Also try to not post in the forums cause,again, for some reason the dev's are pretty anal about shitposters and anything that they think is a snarky comment about their programming skills.

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer
I played this game flat out until it was shut down, so I considered trying this again and wow it has aged poorly graphics wise but the mechanics are still good.

Am i missing something or is Nordenwatch scenario not on this?