Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Rasmussen posted:

Did the choppa/slayer end up being good? I quit before they came out.

Choppa's were great. Remember how the devs promised that Orcs would get bigger and fightier the more they fought as they leveled up? Well, they lied. But then that turned out to literally be Choppa's mechanic.

They were best played as a suicidal berserker. Just loving charge the enemy and keep chopping until you go down. You'll get bigger and nastier and if you had a healer people would panic and dog pile you as you just started cleaving skulls left and right due to your damage bonuses skyrocketing.

The class was basically Orcs.txt. Your entire goal was to get stuck in, chop some motherfucking skulls, die gloriously, respawn, and then repeat the process all over again. :allears:

Edit: Do they have the CE unique customization and trophies in? I don't think I could play again without my batshit crazy Orc that had metal plating bolted onto his skull. Or the horrifying mutations you could get as a Chaos player.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Litterbox posted:

Tanks in general are pretty broken and FAR "tankier" than they are in most other games. They don't do a lot of damage but I distinctly remember 1v1ing this shithead ironbreaker Lockin and he beat me 19/20 times simply because his armour, toughness, and wounds negated or absorbed all my damage. Meanwhile he's swinging away on me with a 2hander.

I feel like the game was 'balanced' for group PvP - if that makes sense. In a group a Choppa or Slayer is extremely powerful. On their own they're really quite squishy. There are some obvious exceptions to this though, KOTBS can do a lot of damage and still sustain quite well.

Key to remember is that the game doesn't even have a 'dueling' function and was never intended to be played that way.

Doesn't really excuse what is honestly sub-optimal design.

Tanks being so tough to bring down makes sense when you remember that the game is in fact balanced around group PVP like you said. Or to put it another way, a tank has to be strong enough to withstand a raid to make use of his collision and hold a chokepoint. This requires a healer, but when done right could stop 40-60 people dead in their tracks when coordinating with other tanks.

In the later days of the game this wasn't as common due to people whining about a dozen tanks just forming shield walls and holding citadels after the gates fell. So the devs made alternate routes that invalidated a core meta mechanic of the class. Of course, what the devs missed was that that's the point. PVP in Warhammer was fairly unique for the time in that every character had solid collision. And clever tanks made use of this with skills that let them build shield walls to deny enemies access to areas.

It also generated a hysterical amount of rage in the playerbase. Which is one of the reasons why tanks in Warhammer owned. You were the big beefy rear end in a top hat that could ruin dozens of others peoples fun just by existing and being able to work with other big beefy assholes.

TL;DR: If you're playing a tank you aren't the guy racking up a ridiculous K/D ratio. You are the guy utterly destroying the composure of the guy obsessed with it. Warhammer tank classes were the MMORPG equivalent of sniper hunting in a multiplayer FPS.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 13, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Ironbreaker is a melee dps class, what are you talking about. Lol if you are using a shield with him because he smashes people to death and caves in skulls.

Ironbreaker wasn't the only class with a shield dude.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Litterbox posted:

And doesn't do much DPS end game so what is this dude talking about..

There was a brief period of time when Ironbreaker was utterly broke as all hell. They could just piledrive their way through entire groups while tanking them down. Maybe he's assuming that was the rule as opposed to an exception. They were always a defensive tanking class outside of that one bug.

They were pretty good for hilarious knockback kills though. Punting people left and right into the lava in that one horrible loving scenario that took place above a bunch of lava pits was good fun and was about the only redeeming feature that specific scenario had.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 23, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

It was fun if you were an ironbreaker but I think it was a big part of what made that scenario so awful.

Don't kid yourself. That scenario was an exercise in shared misery. Everyone suffered together every time it popped. The only difference was that some classes got to spread the misery around to others a bit thicker.