Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

WAR was good and fun but I feel like if I play it today, I'll realize I'll have been living a lie this whole time.

All I ever wanted was to play T1 scenarios as the various classes. They were all fun except marauder. The double-targeting as healers, the guard mechanics, it was all wonderful. Past that, it all kinda went to poo poo. I imagine Return of Reckoning is the same way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jackard posted:

This game was only good T1-T2

They should have rereleased it but locked everyone to T1 forever.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

boho posted:

I've got a Swordmaster named Masterblader

Well that is just the best MMO name I've ever seen.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The buggy part can not be emphasized enough. There was an absolutely insane amount of bugs. 3-stage PQ breaks down midway through the final stage? Deal with it you lost 30 minutes. A good chunk of PQs (and normal quests) were like 50/50 on whether or not they were gonna work.

Plus the game lacked a whole whole lot of polish. When you shot your pistol the missile moved about the same as your run speed and tracks the enemy so it jitters around a whole whole lot even if the damage had already applied. Everything looked like poo poo, including a lot of the animations even though it really shouldn't have.

I mean there isn't a single reason WAR failed but it was a rushed buggy mess and they really didn't think through a lot of their decisions. There is a LOT of very good, very valid reasons.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah and their whole system was dumb. How best to waste a LOT of resources: have 4 separate tiers with their own maps and completely different balance and when a player progresses past one of the tiers, they are unable to participate in everything in the preceding tier, so those maps and that balance is ignored by that character forever.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They are successfully emulating WAR's original run I guess.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Marin Karin posted:

There’s a part of me that wonders if EA even remembers making or owning this game in the first place. :v:

I remember paying for the sub through a weird website that seemed dated for the time.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I joined and am trying to figure out what to play. I started Shadow warrior and did some scenarios where I just put DOTs on everyone that was within range and ended the scenario way, way, way above everyone else in total damage and kills. I remembered why I loved this game when it first came out, and am very excited to keep on playing.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

knox posted:

Yeah the scenarios are a lot of fun. We have a discord with 30 people in it right now & a guild on Destro, but there's couple people either playing Order. I have a 27 Runepriest so if there's 6 people on Order we can make alt guild. Sometimes Destro getting rolled or I want to heal/get insta queues I'll log onto Order.

What's the discord? I don't see it in the OP!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Man I just don't know what to play. I really like Shadow Warrior but I also really like healing. I played WP for a while a long long time ago and really liked it but I just don't know!

What is "in demand"? A good healer, a good tank, etc.?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

knox posted:

Do you have a Destro character or just only want to play Order?

I know we have a KOTBS, me Runepriest, someone is a engineer, few others I forget. ShadowWarrior kills it also.

Make a healer on destro if you want to play with da goon gits, but play the SW as well. I'm playing heals on Order.

I'll make a DoK on destro then. Give it about 15 levels before I decide if that's The One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

PriNGLeS posted:

I keep hearing that shadow warriors aren't dog poo poo, but I've yet to see it in a scenario.

From what I’ve seen and done, shadow warriors are able to finish off dying folks (or folks getting pummeled by mdps) very easily which is nice since most healers are more about spitting out HoTs than putting up barriers/heals so burst is more important. SWs are also able to load a bunch of dudes the gently caress up with dots which is some pressure for enemy healers to contend with. Switching from “no scope trick shot king” to “no, actually, I am the witch elf” is a superpower too.

They’re really great. Mine is R18 so I haven’t gotten to do too much but from what I’ve seen they’re able to really confirm team pushes.

A lot of pubbies just spam eagle eye on healers which is completely negated by two HoTs.