Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
my steam controller is currently in the netherlands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
my steam controller is here and it kick's the 360 controller's rear end!!

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
actually tbf, in controller only games i think i'd prefer a second stick to the trackpad. might change depending on how used i get to it; i prefer inverted camera controls but that feels weird on a trackpad. the button placement is loving me up thanks to muscle memory also

but the extra grip buttons are pretty nice and i like the haptic feedback. the trackpad also works real good as a mouse replacement

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

How is the D pad thing. I can't wrap my head around how it would feel from looking at it.

functionally it's the same thing as the trackpad with some directions on it. by default you have to click it in to activate the directions, you can set it to work by touch, though i don't know why you'd ever do that. it works well enough, a bit stiff but it's worked well enough so far. it is just a disc that you can push in all directions. not really a fighting game guy so can't comment on its effectiveness for intensive use though

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Ah that's pretty much the entire reason I would want a controller for my PC, so I'm not getting a steam controller. Thanks

yeah i'm a weirdo who prefers controller to kb+m most of the time and my impression so far is that the steam controller is really good replacement for that but not quite as good as say a 360 controller for controller focused games

i'd still us kb+m for fps games though, i'm not insane

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SeXReX posted:

has anyone who has one tried Diablo or Torchlight?

I need to know if I can grind epic loot from deep in the couch.

will try this tomorrow

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ArfJason posted:

my usb controller has been faithful every time i hooked the pc to the livingroom tv but im glad valve is experimenting to get games that arent suited to controllers to work with one. shame it apparently didnt work

it's not quite that it didn't work it's just that it doesn't work amazingly. it's serviceable and def better than a standard controller with xpadder for kb+m stuff. plus it's been like three days and it feels like one of thsoe things you have to adjust to to get the most out of it

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
my new guide for couch pc gaming
does the game support controllers? use a standard controller
does the game only support kb+m? use the steam controller
is it a fps? use a kb+m you god drat idiot. what the gently caress is wrong with you

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Proud Rat Mom posted:

any game I want to play that is keyboard exclusive u kinda want to sit close to the screen anyways so it still seems kinda useless

yeah that's a big issue right now, some games don't have ui scaling that take into account if you sit far away. had to turn down the resolution on civ 5 to see what was happening

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Wormskull posted:

Don't listen to the man who still plays Civ 5 everyone. Enjoy your Steam Controller otherwise.

i play civ 5 with my father, a non gamer who enjoys it, whom i love very much. jest about how we bond if you must, but know that if you do you reveal yourself to be a man without honour

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
important discovery: steam controller can be customised to use gyro controls for fine aiming, like in splatoon, is now my fave controller as a result

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i'm using splatoon style gryo controls with fallout 4 and it rocks. once again nintendo shows us the path to enlightenment

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

turnways posted:

trackpad + gyro precision aiming is fun as gently caress.

also now the new Steam beta lets you use the on-screen keyboard in desktop mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
my gyro aim/trackpad setup:

gyro:
always on
very low sensitivity
haptic feedback off

trackpad: