Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Tempest_56 posted:

Team: Buffalo Bills
Why I'm Sad: They don't really make me sad, they make me angry. I need a second team to turn to when I can no longer watch due to the insane penalties/half the team is injured again/forgot how to offense. This previously was Cleveland but I have realized I don't hate myself nearly enough to be a Bills/Browns fan.

1. Playmaking D (sacks and picks for days! So what if we gave up 500 yards?)
2. The term 'scrappy underdog'
3. Good special teams

Dislikes:
1. The Patriots. Seriously, gently caress the Patriots.
2. One-note offenses
3. Cement-footed pocket QBs

You should be a fan of the Seattle Seahawks. Our defense makes big plays especially with Kam back. We also hate the Patriots, our offense features Lynch, Wilson and Graham. And Russell Wilson is anything but cement footed.

Tyler Lockett got special teams player of the month with a punt and kick return for TDs.

I wouldn't say we're scrappy underdogs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MonsterWalk posted:

Aw, shucks! They look like they'll be very good this year. I think there is still room for a Chiefs fan or two.

The part of me that hates myself/my team is absolutely cheering for a Bengals playoff run. Including at least one win.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

I can't get around my Bears brainwashing, but I'd take an AFC team

Team: Chicago Bears
Why I'm Sad: The Bears are currently in the middle of a fire sale/rebuild, and I've never significantly followed football outside of the NFC North, so it might be fun to follow an AFC team.

Likes: (List three things you love. Ex: Great D, Fast WRs, The Color Green.)
1. Good defense crushing the pocket
2. Good coaching
3. Winning

Dislikes: (List three things that you hate. Ex: Weak Secondary, Fumbles, Alex Smith.)
1. Cheaters/asterisks
2. Interceptions, offensive gently caress ups
3. Cheeseheads (I know, NFC North, but I still hate them)
3a. Players who are lovely people (eg. Suh)

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

seiferguy posted:

You should be a fan of the Seattle Seahawks. Our defense makes big plays especially with Kam back. We also hate the Patriots, our offense features Lynch, Wilson and Graham. And Russell Wilson is anything but cement footed.

Tyler Lockett got special teams player of the month with a punt and kick return for TDs.

And they have Freddy!

Edit: they had Freddy! Now Freddy is a cripple!

pasaluki fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 6, 2015

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010

ArgaWarga posted:

Why I'm Sad: The Bears are currently in the middle of a fire sale/rebuild, and I've never significantly followed football outside of the NFC North, so it might be fun to follow an AFC team.

2. Good coaching
3. Winning

Dislikes: (List three things that you hate. Ex: Weak Secondary, Fumbles, Alex Smith.)
1. Cheaters/asterisks

The Jets, although Fitzpatrick likes to throw at least 1 INT a game but the offense isnt a total dumpster fire anymore. They also drafted Devin Smith, who is the epitome of gently caress it go deep.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

ArgaWarga posted:

2. Good coaching
3. Winning

1. Cheaters/asterisks

Daedra posted:

Reversal of fortune! You are now a Titans fan!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

look at the sad chumps in this thread who aren't going to ride their lovely dumpster rear end legacy kid ruined once-proud rust belt poo poo factory teams into an early grave while never seeing a franchise loving quarterback in their lives, you cowards, you punks, burn the whole loving thing

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.

R.D. Mangles posted:

look at the sad chumps in this thread who aren't going to ride their lovely dumpster rear end legacy kid ruined once-proud rust belt poo poo factory teams into an early grave while never seeing a franchise loving quarterback in their lives, you cowards, you punks, burn the whole loving thing

Agreed.

Welcome Lions Fans!!!

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Why wasn't this thread around for me last year? I kinda like the Titans now!

For real, though, I'm just waiting for a team to move to LA so I can do my typical, "Go LA Team," thing besides being a Titans fan.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

Why wasn't this thread around for me last year? I kinda like the Titans now!

For real, though, I'm just waiting for a team to move to LA so I can do my typical, "Go LA Team," thing besides being a Titans fan.

They won't bring you the joy you are seeking

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Become a Titans fan because our mascot is better than yours.

Jags fans need not apply.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Team: Eagles
Why I'm Sad: Chip Kelly's wild ride made me throw up.

2. Pass Rushes
3. Competent Coaching

Dislikes:
1. The AFC West (with the exception of the Broncos)
2. Jed York
3. Weak offenses

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Forceholy posted:

2. Pass Rushes
3. Competent Coaching

Dislikes:
2. Jed York
3. Weak offenses

I sentence you to be a Browns fan because of this.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Forceholy posted:

2. Pass Rushes
3. Competent Coaching

Dislikes:
2. Jed York
3. Weak offenses

With two being tenuous sounds like a job for the Packers.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Top Hats Monthly posted:

With two being tenuous sounds like a job for the Packers.

I can dig it. I like A.A.ron and Matthews.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

MonsterWalk posted:

Agreed.

Welcome Lions Fans!!!

I think it is pretty telling that no Lions fans showed up to Foster-A-Fan. We have a pretty stoic acceptance of the whole early grave never going to watch a good football team thing going.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

seiferguy posted:

Hey, I have family out there - I remember the pre-NFC days. You were scrappy then. What the hell, I'll give it a try.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

The Bengals bandwagon is closed. No one else is allowed to root for them

That's fine, between the Rockets and Oilers and probably the Astros tonight I've seen more than enough one and done in the playoffs for a lifetime

Intruder fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 6, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

gtkor posted:

I think it is pretty telling that no Lions fans showed up to Foster-A-Fan. We have a pretty stoic acceptance of the whole early grave never going to watch a good football team thing going.

It's like how hypothermia suffers, in their last moments, start shedding clothes. Except being a Lions fan is those last few moments, spanning a lifetime.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

ArgaWarga posted:

2. Good coaching
3. Winning

1. Cheaters/asterisks

You should really join the Broncos bandwagon, my friend. We have good, pocket crushing defense, good coaching, and a winning attitude. Von Miller's sack dances are anything but lovely, and though our offense is kinda meh, we are about as distant from the Packers as you can get.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

gtkor posted:

At least for me, that's because any NFL team I get close to turns to poo poo, then becomes un-poo poo when I distance myself from them, even geographically!

--Lions have been mediocre to bad since I can remember (early 90s), I move out of state in 2010 and they post their second-best season in a decade, then go to the playoffs the year after. They are bad again now but 2010-present is their best stretch of time that I can remember.
--Moved outside of Indianapolis in 2010, Peyton falls apart and Suck For Luck happens. Move out in 2013 once Luck overcomes rookie jitters.
--Moved outside of Chicago in mid 2013, the Mark Trestmann show happens. Move out in mid 2015 right after John Fox is hired and the draft, sowing the seeds for their current season.
--Move to Philly in mid 2015, Chip Kelly's Wild Ride.

I guess this is where I mention that my wife is looking at jobs in Boston for 2016/2017, and if she gets an offer we will most likely move there. Anyone have any biotech or IP law connections up there? :v:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

MonsterWalk posted:

Team:
Why I'm Sad: The Browns are bad and continue to be bad.

2. Simple D scheme
3. Cool Offensive Coordinator

Dislikes:
1.The Steelers
2. Bad O-Lines
3. Old, Busted WRs

So to me this says "I want to root for the Bengals but I'm too proud to outright say it."

Edit: It's threads like this that make me realize what a homer I am. I present to you: EPovision

some schmuck posted:

Team:
Why I'm Sad: I'm not Bengals a Bengals fan Cincy Bengals Bengals Geno Atkins.

Likes Bengals:
1. Bengals Cincy Who Dey Bengals Hugh Jackson
2. Freezer Bowl Bengals gently caress Kimo
3. Ohio River offense Kenny Bengals Anderson Bengals Bengals Bengals.

Things I dislike because they aren't the Cincinnati Bengals:
1. Anything less handsome then Ken Riley (so everything basically)
2. Bill Parcells and his "West Coast offense" misnomer.
3. Pittsburgh.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 6, 2015

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

At least for me, that's because any NFL team I get close to turns to poo poo, then becomes un-poo poo when I distance myself from them, even geographically!

--Lions have been mediocre to bad since I can remember (early 90s), I move out of state in 2010 and they post their second-best season in a decade, then go to the playoffs the year after. They are bad again now but 2010-present is their best stretch of time that I can remember.
--Moved outside of Indianapolis in 2010, Peyton falls apart and Suck For Luck happens. Move out in 2013 once Luck overcomes rookie jitters.
--Moved outside of Chicago in mid 2013, the Mark Trestmann show happens. Move out in mid 2015 right after John Fox is hired and the draft, sowing the seeds for their current season.
--Move to Philly in mid 2015, Chip Kelly's Wild Ride.

I guess this is where I mention that my wife is looking at jobs in Boston for 2016/2017, and if she gets an offer we will most likely move there. Anyone have any biotech or IP law connections up there? :v:

Don't ever move to Wisconsin.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

C-Euro posted:

I guess this is where I mention that my wife is looking at jobs in Boston for 2016/2017,

God willing

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Team: Tennessee Titans
Why I'm Sad: Allowing for the contraction of the AFC South for the good of the world.

2. Pretty, bright flamboyant colored jerseys
3. Los Angeles, though not necessarily other teams in California. In fact, not at all.
4. Underdogs

Dislikes:
1. Dallas Cowboys
2. poo poo quarterbacking
3. Establishing the run in a really lovely way

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

Team: Tennessee Titans
Why I'm Sad: Allowing for the contraction of the AFC South for the good of the world.

2. Pretty, bright flamboyant colored jerseys
3. Los Angeles, though not necessarily other teams in California. In fact, not at all.
4. Underdogs

Dislikes:
1. Dallas Cowboys
2. poo poo quarterbacking
3. Establishing the run in a really lovely way

You get the Saskatchewan Roughriders

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Team: Cleveland Browns
Why I'm Sad: (Give a brief synopsis of why your team makes you sad.)

You know, I love going to the muni lot, and I love the family-friends connection I have with this team. I hate the team itself though. I hate the fact that ever since Butch Davis went mental they've tried to do this Bill Belichick circa 1992 poo poo with running the ball and stopping the run. No one in the loving NFL does this any more, not even Bill Belichick himself.

The loving team REFUSES to draft playmakers and has made it this grand lovely tradition of drafting offensive and defensive lineman with our first picks. So while other teams get the Julio Jones's of the world? we get stuck with some lovely offensive lineman that doesn't do a single drat thing

I cheer for this team also partially out of spite. A lot of the idiots in the greater akron-canton-kent region have given up on the Browns because they have a weaker disposition for bad football than I do. The teams they now follow is the Steelers. These are people that have never set foot in the state of Pennsylvania, have probably never even been to Sheetz let a lone Primanti Bros, yet they have the loving nerve to brag about their titles to my face all the loving time.

I love my stupid team, but they really need to adopt a fast paced passing offense and make it playmaker based.

1. History
2. Passing oriented offense.
3. Decently cool looking jerseys/merchandise. (I'm in the market for a new hoodie to wear.)

1. Steelers
2. Ravens
3. Bengals

To add? My dad bought two shares of Packers stock when they went public so I'm really, really tempted to go follow them a lot more closely than I have in the past. He's said the rights would be mine when he's done with them and he said that I could even go to the shareholders meeting on his behalf sometime. (we've recieved stuff in the mail for this). I realize the whole "Stock" tihng is kind of bullshit but it's kind of a fun excuse for me to follow them

My youth football team growing up was also named the Packers, and I think they could perhaps be a good fit if there's any packers goons who want to get me into them

aight my man.

The Browns and Bills are my AFC faves, so let me get you in on this Packer thing in return.

1. History? To paraphrase Belloq, other teams are passing through NFL history. The Packers are NFL history. We're coming up on the 100-year mark, and we've had a drat good run of it. NFL Championships in the ancient era, Super Bowl victories in the pre-merger and a couple in the modern era.

2. While the Packer offense is pass-oriented, I think it's selling short how balanced it is. It's more pass-effective than pass-oriented. The only Achilles' heel we have is injuries to our offensive line - this year it's the tackles. But I'll get into that below.

3. Everybody looks good in forest green. Going along with the history thing, you can get an old-timey dude's jersey, like Bart Starr, or Nitschke and no one will think twice about it. Even a discount Favre jersey will be acceptable after Thanksgiving. But you can find a metric rear end-ton of Packers merchandise for anything, anywhere.

Re: Dislikes - We did beat the Steelers in the last Super Bowl we were in. You ever been in a room with a yinzer watching his heart slowly being wrenched from his body? I have. It was awesome. Other than the Pats, we're probably the only other team in the NFL immune to Steeler Bullshit. One time we squeaked into the playoffs because a Steeler WR dropped one of the world's easiest touchdowns at the end of the game against us. Like, rolled right out of his lap. Also, we share a hatred of John Elway.

The stockholder thing is fun. Ours is on my wife's desk at work, good conversation piece. We don't have to put up with a retarded owner who threatens to move the team every few years if he doesn't get a new stadium. Instead, we have an elected president, who is doing a drat fine job, and also Ted Thompson, who has an amazing eye for talent and putting together a competitive team every year.

Other reasons why: We're on TV a lot, because of the fan base. We're not judgmental about where you're from if you're a Packer fan. poo poo, we'd bandwagon ourselves if we could. We are just that drat happy about our team. We don't make stupid free-agency moves, nearly every player on the roster was drafted by GB. And the ones we did sign via FA have been amazing. Woodson, Peppers, and going back in history a bit, Reggie White, the best racist DE of all time with a heart of gold and fairly high cholesterol. Our divisional rivals make things incredibly easy for us year after year, occasionally being good but shooting themselves in the foot eventually. The Bears just dismantled their team, and probably won't be competitive for another 2-3 years. And you might think: "Doesn't that make it not as exciting, when you stomp them instead of having a close game?" No. It's euphoric.

So How Do I Cheer For The Packers?
With carefully tempered stoicism. We know deep down that if we allow ourselves to gloat at any point during a game, even up 20+ points, that Hubris, the anti-Packer, will smite the gently caress out of us and cause us to lose in a heartbreaking fashion. So until the clock hits 0:00, we are nervous. Afterwards, if we win, we party and get shitfaced. If we lose, we party and get shitfaced, just slightly more glumly, but with a knowing feeling that next week brings hope. Unless Rodgers goes down, then it's chaos.

What Should I Be Saying To Blend In?
Packers fans generally know their poo poo when it comes to football. Being a knowledgeable fan is an important thing. So while everyone knows who Aaron Rodgers is and all that, you have to go a little deeper. Here's a primer on some Must Know deeper knowledge stuff:
1. Our defensive coordinator is Dom Capers. He is old, has been with the team for awhile now, and caused us to switch from the 4-3 to the 3-4. The 3-4 defense requires good LBs, which we really haven't had success with outside of Clay Matthews, though this year is looking way up in that respect despite some early injuries. Depending on which Packers fan you ask, Capers is either a genius or an insane idiot. But you have to choose one or the other and stick with it. Can't be neutral on this one.

2. The o-line. The Packers' offensive line is sort of subpar, but is picked up by the offensive play calling and skillset of our QB/RB. Left to right, you have Bakhtiari, Sitton, Linsley, Lang, and Bulaga(Barclay when Bulaga's injured, which is half of any season). Bakhtiari was a 4th round draft pick last year, thrown into the fire, and he still really hasn't shined. He gets a ton of holding calls, though he will occasionally put up a gem of a game against a good DE for some reason. Sitton and Lang are Pro Bowl guards, mostly because they don't screw up much. They don't get penalties. This is a big thing on the Packers o-line. Linsley, at center, was a lucky pickup in the draft who we also threw in last year as a rookie, but has played much better than Bakhtiari. Bulaga is good when healthy, though never lived up to the LT billing he received when we drafted him, and Barclay is continually overwhelmed as his replacement. The reason Eddie Lacy has had success where other RBs fail in our offense is because he can bust through that first tackle attempt 3 yards in the backfield where some DT inevitably ends up. There is a strong/weak anthropic priniciple debate over Aaron Rodgers' throwing style: Is it lightning quick because he realized he had to get the ball out before he got crushed by the three DLs that bust through our line in 2.1 seconds? Or is it that Aaron Rodgers is the only QB capable of remaining healthy behind the GB offensive line because of his lightning quick release, and thus we still see him play? We may never know. What we do know is that at some point during a game you will say "Goddammit Bahktiari."

3. The front seven on defense. It's a rotation of some very good players, and all of them will do something great at some point during the season. It's been a long, slow build to get to this point, full of a lot of 1st and 2nd rounders, but we finally have a defense that can run the scheme. Raji, Matthews and Peppers get most of the press, but Mike Daniels and Mike Neal are the big playmakers up front.

What about that Favre thing?
We're pretty much over it. Had Rodgers sucked, or Favre won the Super Bowl with Minnesota, it would have been a major issue for decades. But that didn't happen, so yay.

What You Get To Watch
1. Aaron Rodgers playing some unfairly mistake-free ball with jaw-dropping throws. Dude makes any receiver look good, and any defense look bad.
2. Eddie Lacy truckin' fools. He also does a spin move, it's like watching elephant ballet, majestic but out of place, yet you feel richer for having seen it.
3. Clay Matthews running full tilt every play. The number of guys he runs down from behind is amazing, not to mention the sacks.
4. An army of midget cornerbacks that play the ball exceedingly well.
5. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. A good football name. A good football player.
6. Mason Crosby. He's like Matt Damon's ugly little brother, but he will at some point nail a 70+ yard field goal because his leg is amazing. He had one horrific year in 2012 or so, but has been great every other year. We are all very glad we didn't cut him then.
7. Mike "Pigfucker" McCarthy. Supposedly called a 49er goon a pigfucker back around 2005 or so, which makes him a-ok in my book. Used to call the plays, now delegated that task to our OC. So now he looks pensive on the sideline and throws out a challenge flag at inopportune moments. But the team's winning, so he's doing something right, even if it's doing nothing.
8. John Kuhn. The last slow old white FB. We get excited whenever he touches the ball, and yell out KUUUUHHHHNN because that's what you do.
9. Packers fans. We're everywhere, and we'll often take over other team's stadiums during away games. Easily identifiable by copious amounts of Packer fan gear. Will bring over beer if you ask them.

Here are some unused shaky-tars if you want an early jump on your fandom:

You'll also want to find some awkward photos of AJ Hawk or Jarrett Bush to have handy to assign to lovely Packers posters, as we police our own.

Abugadu fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 9, 2015

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

quote:

What Should I Be Saying To Blend In?
Packers fans generally know their poo poo when it comes to football. Being a knowledgeable fan is an important thing. So while everyone knows who Aaron Rodgers is and all that, you have to go a little deeper. Here's a primer on some Must Know deeper knowledge stuff:
1. Our defensive coordinator is Dom Capers. He is old, has been with the team for awhile now, and caused us to switch from the 4-3 to the 3-4. The 3-4 defense requires good LBs, which we really haven't had success with outside of Clay Matthews, though this year is looking way up in that respect despite some early injuries. Depending on which Packers fan you ask, Capers is either a genius or an insane idiot. But you have to choose one or the other and stick with it. Can't be neutral on this one.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

that packer post is the most packer thing in the history of packer

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Metapod posted:

There were like 10 people in Roughriders jerseys at the SF-ARI game and it was real odd

Welcome fostered fans to the cardinals whagon!

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

packer
noun pack·er \ˈpa-kər\
: one that packs: as
a : one engaged in processing food (as meat) and distributing it to retailers
b : an automotive vehicle with a closed body and a compressing device (as for compacting rubbish) in the rear
: porter 1
: one that conveys goods by means of a pack

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Metapod posted:

Yes...........YES!!!!!!!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Carson Palmer is to funslinger as Greg Hardy is to human rights activist.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

R.D. Mangles posted:

that packer post is the most packer thing in the history of packer

And it's great :allears:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Intruder posted:

Team: The Houston Texans
Why I'm Sad: The grandest experiment in taking in former Patriots yet

2. Offense that isn't excruciating to watch
3. Good QBs

Dislikes:
1. Constant screens and draws on 3rd and long
2. Loudmouth coaches
3. Gingers

You could be a real Patriots fan. Embrace the darkness.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Just rename the thread,

"I hate my team what already good team should I cheer for, or what team what might be good but won't be and I'll be back here in a year thread."

The obvious answers are Pats / Packers and then everyone else (Bengals?)

Everything else is just hoping and praying and sorrow.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Intruder posted:

Team: The Houston Texans
Why I'm Sad: The grandest experiment in taking in former Patriots yet

2. Offense that isn't excruciating to watch
3. Good QBs

Dislikes:
1. Constant screens and draws on 3rd and long
2. Loudmouth coaches
3. Gingers

I'm amending this from "Loudmouth coaches" to "Coaches who suck but had their reputation built on lucking into a generational QB" because that's what I hate about BOB :colbert:

Which also eliminates me from Titans and maybe Patriots :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm taking the zona bandwagon as my 2nd team because only they understand the pain of whiz

• Locked thread