Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
What that guy said. I'm not someone who believes writers owe readers anything. Do it in your own time ofc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

General Battuta posted:

Ah, the month is almost over! I'll never be this famous again!

I think it's important to leave a wall between writer and reader so that the reader has room to interpret the text without the author drooling all over. But whatever gently caress that, I'll talk about some poo poo.

I'm curious how many people picked up on/cared at all about the more subtle threads in the book. I tried to bury the plots of other novels in the story, then make Baru resolutely ignore them (because she's so focused on her goal). Part of the idea was to reward rereads, part of the idea was to seed future stories that would be interesting, but mostly I wanted the novel to illustrate that the world was bigger than Baru.

Just off the top of my head:

Heingyl Ri's plan to take over Aurdwynn.

The true identity of the actress in the bar (this one's super easy).

Exactly which vengeance-crazed individual killed Duke Sahaule, and why Baru presumes it was done!

Xate Yawa's motives throughout the novel (pretty explicitly revealed), and the identity of her backer.

The fate of Xate Olake's daughter with Tain Ko.

The identity of the man with the iron circle that Tain Hu mentions, although it'd be a mad stretch to guess this one just from the textual evidence.

Exactly what brought down the Tu Maia heartland.

The scientific error that drives Masquerade eugenics.

I'll try to remember if I dropped any other threads!

I just finished the book, it was pretty good, these threads are also interesting and I thought you did a good job making your world interesting even without the very interesting protagonist. But please...spoil me, daddy!! Tell me these things!!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I will do it for you son

It seems like Ri seduced Bel Latheman (the banker), manipulated Nayauru into jumping into the war too early, used Latheman to wreck Governor Cattlson's finances, then, once Cattlson was out of money and Parliament was on his rear end to kill the rebellion without wasting more time and funds, she forced Cattlson (and her dad) to go die at Sieroch, leaving her and Latheman married and in charge of the province.

The actress in the bar is plainly Nayauru.

Duke Sahaule the Horsebane is killed at Haraerod by the scar-faced soldier woman from the bar in Act 1, who lost a horse to him a while ago and who has been on a crazed quest for horse vengeance.

Xate Yawa has been offered exactly the same deal as Baru, but by (presumably) Hesychast or Renascent, not Itinerant.

Xate Olake's daughter with Tain Ko...aaaah, I shouldn't spoil that one. You can track her down very quickly if you're sharp-eyed.

The man with the iron circlet is related to the story of Duchess Erebog. Tain Hu killed him in a forest skirmish when she was young.

The Tu Maia heartland fell to a species of beetle that ate the poo poo out of their cash crops.

Masquerade eugenics are Lamarckian.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Nice, I picked up on the actress bit based on the reaction at the big meetup at the end. I think my favorite part of the novel was the currency manipulation & then the letters at the end. Baru is a great character.

If I had anything critical to say its that some of the nonsense fantasy words bothered me a bit, but overall it was a great read. I didn't feel the Nihilism that other readers had when they reached the end, I guess I fell more on the hope side?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

(stolen via Battuta's own twitter)

Peel fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 1, 2016

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

This has to be included in the front matter of the new book, Battuta.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Here is a random rough draft scene from the sequel, and I do mean rough, it's all pretty basic sketch-level writing. I just like the :unsmigghh: factor

quote:

There was a patient in the Rainbow Room.

Cosgrad Torrinde, Hesychast, stood over the vivisection table. He’d painted the lines of incision on the subject, first across her scalp, then down her torso (to check the spine). He’d diagrammed the plan of his surgery on sketch paper. Heated and bathed his instruments.

He lifted the scalpel. He —

He hesitated.

The woman on the table smiled at him, halfway wry, halfway forgiving, all impossible. Sapian had shattered nearly every functional joint in her body and yet she kept her cheer. The stitches that had saved her life (a temporary reprieve, admittedly) had been done without any ether or anesthetic.

She was a ruin. She was smiling. The colossal tumor that swelled up from her right temple displayed creases and complex structure under the alcohol wash. A throbbing spiderweb of veins clogged her shaved scalp.

“It’s strange,” she said, in really terrible Aphalone, “to cut a waking body. I know. I know you want to drug me. But that’s not your plan, is it? You need me conscious.”

“I don’t want to do this.” He felt the ridiculous, laughable wish for little silver eye-shields on his mask, so that he could blink. Those Judiciary riot masks had lenses, didn’t they? He should get a lensed mask. “I’m not sure I can do this.”

“Give me the scalpel,” the woman suggested. “Bind yourself to this table.”

She wouldn’t even be able to stand. Probably. “You’ll kill me.”

“I’ll make you live forever,” she said, and then, in a voice with (Cosgrad chose his words carefullly, to master himself) extreme and troubling physiological effect, she said NA U VO AI E HAS AH ATH

Cosgrad smiled behind his mask, and felt terribly sad. To listen to her any longer would be dangerous; if she had the art he feared, she might be able to program his flesh using even subtle signals. Gestures. Small sounds.

“I don’t see any evidence of immortality,” he said. “You don’t respond to hypnosis at all. Coaxing and icon splitting don’t suggest that you contain multiple sets of memories or personalities.”

UNDIANATH she said A UT LI-EN

“I hear you, even if I don’t believe you,” he said, chilled, for just an instant, by the superstitious thought that old Undianath the sorcerer surgeon was in there, with a flock of other minds. “But I do agree that the tumor is obviously potent. It blocks your pain response. You haven’t felt any of it? None of it?”

“I can feel it.” She tried to shrug but the bones were broken. What happened beneath her skin made Cosgrad wince. “I’m not moved by it. The pain is asymbolic. Like watching water boil. You know it happens but you do not feel it. And it has been that way since I took the life into me and it grew.”

Cosgrad disciplined himself. With a firm tug he tightened the brace that kept her skull in place and set to work. The first incision split the rind of the tumor and the flesh inside was red-black.

“If I damage it,” he murmured, “will you feel all the pain again? I don’t want that.”

“No,” she said, shortly, and then, a little later, as he completed his dissection, “but thank you. You’re a kind man, for a monster.”

“You know I can’t send you home.”

“It’s all right. Before I went out on mission I had a seed taken, to grow in my child. I will live on in her; this body I am now, here, this is just a branch to be pruned.” She made an impatient motion with her eyes. “Proceed, please. I’m tired of being afraid.”

Cosgrad reached up to the ceiling and pulled down the truth impaler.

The mechanism cupped her skull. With his breath held Cosgrad adjusted the screws to align her skull perfectly, perfectly, in the device’s sights. He still suffered something like a 40% failure rate, and even after running through a few hundred of the Abhuman Crimes inmates as test subjects, he couldn’t say why. Imprecision might be one answer. Variance between individual brains would be another, and that he couldn’t solve. Certainly there was an argument to be made for introducing the stylus slowly instead of traumatically, but Cosgrad was afraid that a slow entry would paradoxically do more damage, leaving ragged tears instead of a clean punch, and oh, stop thinking, do it, do it.

“I’m sorry,” he said, and fired.

The ripfire fuse detonated the explosive and the truth impaler fired a lance of sterile steel down through the top of her skull, piercing the brain, annihilating the specific areas that two centuries of phrenologists and surgeons had pinpointed as Falsehood Control. The backstop caught the rod and stopped it sharp, still lodged deep in her brain. There was no shrapnel. The rod did not go astray from its guides.

He checked her pulse. Stable. Probably the concussion would knock her out.

Patient’s ability to lie hopefully degraded, Cosgrad recorded.

She would lose so much else, too. Oh, the wit of her, that spark of laughing defiance, that would go — she would snarl and curse and behave like a child. All her civilization stripped away by the rod. Worse than lobotomy.

More necessary.

She blinked. Cosgrad yelped in fright. She was still awake. The impact and trauma hadn’t even knocked her out! She must be final stage, terminal stage, not even sleeping. His dissection of the Immortata implant had revealed massive cranial disruption, so perhaps it had actually knocked out her ability to lose consciousness somehow — somehow —

AIA U NA she said, and then “There are certainly a lot of things in my skull now, aren’t there? Ah, I can’t see. It’s a shame. You were so beautiful.”

Cosgrad unfolded his folio of questions. He blinked at them. They were urgent and important and impersonal. He was supposed to stay impersonal. He wasn’t supposed to get attached, ever, ever again. Tau-indi had been one mistake too many.

But.

“What’s your name?” he asked, instead.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Jesus gently caress :dogbutton:

If you were trying to get us to hate the Masquerade you're doing a bang-up goddamn job.

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

General Battuta posted:

a crazed quest for horse vengeance

I want to read this book.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Peel posted:

(stolen via Battuta's own twitter)

Oh my god Hygiene loving killed it for me :laffo:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Could you put up your different builds and uses for those builds? Like what different medics do you use and why? I know you've done a lot of this in the different posts but yknow gathering it in one place would be really cool.

I think I build my poo poo wrong. When given the choice of crit immunity I always take it basically. Because I'm terrified of crits and pretty much every infantry and assault gets extra conditioning too.

Engineers go one of two paths and don't touch the other crap and medics are just.. I have no idea what to do with them besides sticking a medkit on them and making them officers...

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Affi posted:

Could you put up your different builds and uses for those builds? Like what different medics do you use and why? I know you've done a lot of this in the different posts but yknow gathering it in one place would be really cool.

I think I build my poo poo wrong. When given the choice of crit immunity I always take it basically. Because I'm terrified of crits and pretty much every infantry and assault gets extra conditioning too.

Engineers go one of two paths and don't touch the other crap and medics are just.. I have no idea what to do with them besides sticking a medkit on them and making them officers...

Ditch the infantry and all that poo poo, don't worry about crits. Focus on teching up infrastructure systems like bureaucracy (to track food/population/labor and reduce corruption), ideology (to maintain loyalty over widely dispersed populations) and hygiene (to reduce attrition and unlock surgery). The goal is to rush for control of the market and gain control of all the factors necessary for the opponent's build to work. Engineering is great for keeping aqueducts and the like running but you should be sure it's secondary to good economics (and then you'll get a nice spiraling takeoff).

It's weak to rushes in the short term but your win rate will go way up and I guarantee it'll change the whole meta.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Oh god this is the wrong thread isn't it?

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

General Battuta posted:

Ditch the infantry and all that poo poo, don't worry about crits. Focus on teching up infrastructure systems like bureaucracy (to track food/population/labor and reduce corruption), ideology (to maintain loyalty over widely dispersed populations) and hygiene (to reduce attrition and unlock surgery). The goal is to rush for control of the market and gain control of all the factors necessary for the opponent's build to work. Engineering is great for keeping aqueducts and the like running but you should be sure it's secondary to good economics (and then you'll get a nice spiraling takeoff).

It's weak to rushes in the short term but your win rate will go way up and I guarantee it'll change the whole meta.

So Baru would be terrible at RTS (because of the assumptions RTS matches make - separate economies for one) but she'd probably be an unholy stewardship-intrigue CK2-type game player.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fried Chicken posted:

I have to side with other reviews I've seen. This is probably the most depressing and nihilistic work of genre fiction I've read since Blindsight. Take Guns, Germs and Steel, and then add in the feeling of any hope or plan being crushed by the implacable gears of a great machine, where the only way to survive is to trample the weak and hurdle the dead as you are beaten into becoming what you are trying to overthrow.

This is Traitor Baru Cormorant

Enjoy

I know, I love it too. :3:

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Well, I just finished this. Count me in as one who was surprised by the ending, and Baru's decision to join the powers-behind-the-throne took me by surprise until I realised she'd decided to go after a bigger fish, so to speak. I liked Baru's relationships with Aminata and Tain Hu, and the fiercely contemporary reflections of the real world: tear-gassing rioters(? - I think), or the exocet. And some of the imagery, especially the map weighted down with coins (wish you'd done more with this one).

On the other hand, I thought the powers-behind-the-throne were pretty one-dimensionally villainous; the Masquerade was all about control, never civilising or paternalistic. I'm happy the novel wasn't a paean to Empire, but it felt a bit moustache-twirling. And, more seriously, the worldbuilding felt, for want of a better word, thin. I'm calling it serious because the plot relies on it being a realistic, functioning world, but the text contradicts that. The late-19th-century vibe of the Masquerade and quasi-mediaeval Aurdwynn felt inconsistent rather than a deliberate tension. They have torpedoes on sailing ships and naval mines, but not guns. The Masquerade puts notices up in the Aurdwynni villages, so why are there enough literate people to make this worth while? The Masquerade felt like it had been imposed on the world, with the economic and scientific knowledge of the twentieth century, preying on other nations... "Yes, first I'll trade with you, then I'll crash your economy, you silly foreigners... dance, puppets! Dance!" It seems to sit at the top of the world, unrivalled and omnicompetent. The effect was that the novel felt a bit didactic.

Questions/comments for the General, if you like: Were the red ships arriving at the start a reference to Delany's Tales of Neveryon? And I'm sure I caught a nod to "Diving into the Wreck", too. Apparitor is sometimes called "the Apparitor", which looks like a copyediting mistake to me.

By the way, I think part of the reason people were expecting it to be sf is this thread's tag, not the book. I read the UK edition and I think the cover's okay.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

19th century's a bit premature. Torpedoes were in play during the Islamic Golden Age, and naval mines were around by the 16th century too. The Masquerade and Oriati are right on the edge of a transition towards cannon armament (which also happened in the late 16th/early 17th in our world), but right now the Masquerade's incendiaries are much better, and since they won the last war with firestarters they're doctrinally attached. Nor is the Masquerade's scientific and economic knowledge super 20th century — it's again drawing a lot on the Islamic golden age, Indian Ocean trade circle communities, and financial gambits as old as Ancient Egypt.

Speaking of literate people (sorrrrry I couldn't resist), the sentence about putting up notices reads right like this, at least in my manuscript (maybe it got fumbled in page proofs?)

quote:

Jurispotence Xate Yawa ordered a bulletin posted on every door in Aurdwynn and read to the illiterate in every market and square:

A lot of the research that went into the book involved creating situations that felt anachronistic but still made structural and technological sense, to show how our own narrative of history is shaped by the way we remember the origin of innovations and social mores (Taranoke's society is largely based on some tribes in the Amazon). Next book will be going even harder on the things-that-feel-unrealistic-but-totally-could've-happend!

I've never read Neveryon or 'Diving into the Wreck', alas.

Thank you for the comments!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

General Battuta posted:

19th century's a bit premature. Torpedoes were in play during the Islamic Golden Age, and naval mines were around by the 16th century too. The Masquerade and Oriati are right on the edge of a transition towards cannon armament (which also happened in the late 16th/early 17th in our world), but right now the Masquerade's incendiaries are much better, and since they won the last war with firestarters they're doctrinally attached.

I said 19th century because the Masque's emphasis on races and homosexuality struck me as being very modern and the civil service exam gave me a strong British Empire vibe. So did the seafaring, but that's probably just an accident of the plot. I did a bit of searching and I think you're talking about this thing <- click this link, guys, this is cool when you say torpedoes... I just didn't pick up on it from the description. Gotta argue with you about cannon, though: they've been around since the 14th century and were effective siege weapons by 1500.

quote:

Nor is the Masquerade's scientific and economic knowledge super 20th century — it's again drawing a lot on the Islamic golden age, Indian Ocean trade circle communities, and financial gambits as old as Ancient Egypt

Ooh, you don't have a bibliography, do you, because this sounds fascinating!

quote:

A lot of the research that went into the book involved creating situations that felt anachronistic but still made structural and technological sense, to show how our own narrative of history is shaped by the way we remember the origin of innovations and social mores (Taranoke's society is largely based on some tribes in the Amazon). Next book will be going even harder on the things-that-feel-unrealistic-but-totally-could've-happend!

I don't think I understand. Are you saying you deliberately made your cultures by combining stuff from different real-world cultures, but in a theoretically possible way? If that's the case, Masquerade Aurdwynn didn't work for me, I'm afraid.

quote:

Speaking of literate people (sorrrrry I couldn't resist), the sentence about putting up notices reads right like this, at least in my manuscript (maybe it got fumbled in page proofs?)

I don't doubt that's what I read, but I asked myself "why not only announce it?" Even if you don't take the "every door" thing literally.

quote:

Thank you for the comments!

It didn't come across in my first post, but I enjoyed your novel. Thank you for writing it!

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 4, 2016

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

House Louse posted:

I don't doubt that's what I read, but I asked myself "why not only announce it?" Even if you don't take the "every door" thing literally.
Emphasize the impression that the Masquerade is better than you? After all, all of their citizens can read and write, why can't you? Relatively subtle cultural shaming, maybe. I hope that makes any sense.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Kids who go through Masquerade schooling, whether in a basic form or the full residence treatment, will tend to be more literate than their parents, and if kids can read posted notices the parents can't, you're (in the Masquerade schema) helping draw them away from their existing cultures and making them, literally and figuratively, intermediaries between the two. Plus you can hopefully get them involved in reporting on their parents and earning rewards.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

When I thought about it I just assumed she was grandstanding for political benefit and nobody actually expected it to happen v:shobon:v Imagine the poor devils traipsing through Aurdwynni mud with a sackful of notices on their back. Suddenly, bandits...

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
General, for whatever it's worth I recommended this book to a friend who also writes some books and he just posted to his FB:

quote:

The finest fantasy novel of intrigue I've ever read, with no close second. Not only a worthy epic of discovery, politics, and conquest, but a penetrating look at identity and power. Possibly worthy of being taught in the same classes that teach Chopin's THE AWAKENING or Ellison's INVISIBLE MAN. And, above all else, deeply emotionally investing.

If you've ever believed any judgment I've made on a work of culture in the English language, believe me: this is a powerful book.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Thank you! That's great to hear.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is it Bah-ru or bah-roo?

My mother pronounces it one way and I had been thinking it was the other.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I say BAH-roo, if, uh, that makes sense? Soft a, emphasis on the first syllable.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

General Battuta posted:

I say BAH-roo, if, uh, that makes sense? Soft a, emphasis on the first syllable.
You and me both. That's enough to make it canon!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Seth Dickinson posts here, in the Something Awful forums? What the gently caress? The last place I expected. I'm in the middle of the book and loving it.

You can't sign my ebook, but quote this post and I'll pretend it's the same thing, good job man

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

General Battuta posted:

You might have mentioned that to the audiobook narrator.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Started it yesterday finished it today, unlike everyone else it feels like the Masquerade while awful is going to lower the child mortality rate, feed the average person better so they are not malnourished, and provide stability. It felt like the reason so much of the inquisition poo poo was going on was because they were a colony and in the capital the thought crime was a lesser issue, but in the wild colony it was a tool of control to bring them in the fold. Same reason the head of the faith was a Masquerade agent that may have kept the faith personally but still informed on it allowing it to continue instead of dying out completely.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Well at least the trains ran on time.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Affi posted:

Well at least the trains ran on time.

It's more like the only reason Baru's army was able to succeed is that she used the hygiene for waste, dead bodies, and food to lower the scurvy and limit sickness keeping her army alive. It did horrific things but so has just about every real life nation. Look at what happened to Alan Turning in the UK, or plenty of other places. People would be willing to put up with a lot of poo poo if it meant if they had a kid it no longer had a 1/3 dying during winter, your children grew up healthier, and you had free access to medical care. While reading it seemed like doctors and dentist were part of the government and paid for with taxes. People are willing to put up with a lot of poo poo for a stable and "safe" society. They are evil and for the greater good but for a lot of people that good is great because its not evil to them. They make human carriers for diseases but also inoculate the citizens and teach hygiene to prevent disease making people want to be more hygienic so they don't get sick. Super evil but I can see why people deal with it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I picked this book up a few months ago but have fallen way behind on finishing it. I've been recommending it to everyone I meet.

I was actually really surprised to find it on Australian shelves. Every book I'm usually interested in I have to buy from overseas.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
GB, I don't know if you play Magic at all, but I was watching a pro (LSV) stream and he started talking about books and said he really liked Lies of Locke Lamora, so I asked if he'd read TTBC and he said "that was one of the books I read on my last trip and honestly I think it was the one I enjoyed the most."

So I guess there's like 1400 people on Twitch who just heard it get recommended and hopefully at least one of them buys it!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

GB, I don't know if you play Magic at all, but I was watching a pro (LSV) stream and he started talking about books and said he really liked Lies of Locke Lamora, so I asked if he'd read TTBC and he said "that was one of the books I read on my last trip and honestly I think it was the one I enjoyed the most."

So I guess there's like 1400 people on Twitch who just heard it get recommended and hopefully at least one of them buys it!

Whoa, that's awesome! What a good thing to hear.

Here's some random poo poo, spoils the end of the first book

quote:

As the firestorm burnt up everyone who’d trusted and believed in him, as the monsoon rain of rocket arrows and incendiary bombs lit his ships like screaming human skewers, Awoharo Abd tried his very damndest to die.

He had to leap into the sea, now. He absolutely, no procrastination, no excuses, no second chances had to die: if the Falcresti took him captive, which they would, and if they tricked him into admitting who he was and who had sponsored his fleet, which they could (being a nation of absolute loving snakes) then Awoharo would doom two hundred and ten million people in Oriati Mbo, the heart of the world, his beloved home.

“You’ll never take me alive,” he said, hiding under his ship’s toppled sails. You only got one chance to say a thing like this. It deserved a little rehearsal. “You’ll never take me alive. You’ll never take me alive. You’ll never take me alive! All right. gently caress. gently caress. Do it. Do it! Death and glory!”

Snarling in defiance he leapt out from under the sailcloth, his rapier loose in his back hand, and vaulted up onto his galley’s fighting rail. “You’ll never take me alive!” he roared, and then he made the terrible mistake of looking down before he leapt.

Beneath him, the sea burnt.

Blue-hot chemical fire drifted on the waves, vicious, viscuous, burning everything, cooking up a sautee smell of seawater and charred lumber and boiled fat bursting out through blistered dead skin and incinerated hair popped eyeballs chips of toenail off bloated severed feet bobbing across entire square miles of this flaming holocaust the crews of forty-one of Awoharo’s warships tossed into a loving wok and stir-fried —

Awoharo couldn’t jump. He couldn’t. Call him a coward and a traitor to two hundred ten million, but there are limits to courage, there are footnotes to the code of bravery: and fire is the first of them.

A sailor at the bow of Awoharo’s flagship leapt into the sea. “No!” Awoharo screamed, “stop!”

But too late, gravity had him, a graceful dive and he went down through the gel and up again, coated in flame, the Burn sticking to him everywhere even beneath the water, as if it smelled Oriati flesh and hated it, and it burnt even underwater, it fed on the air in his clothes. He screamed soundlessly because the fire was eating all the air that came out of him. He screamed with his face tipped back to the sky: and the Burn went down his throat.

Awoharo Abd rearranged his list of the worst possible ways to die, and with a sob of shame he stepped back from the rail. He could hang himself — or fall on his sword, if he could aim it right —

Or he could die in combat, like a proper champion.

Like bloody gulls the tall redsailed Falcrest ships circled the kettle where they’d corralled and massacred Awoharo’s fleet. Past the two enormous torchships, Abd could see the city of Treatymont, blackened stone and iron brooding against the high beauty of the far Wintercrests. There was nothing else to see: Falcresti warships, a Falcrest city, and Falcrest fire. Awoharo’s other ships had been sunk, all nineteen of his Syndicate Eyota fast-attack galleys, all twenty-three of the rebel Duke Unuxekome’s fleet. Nine Falcrest ships had annihilated forty-three of his. Abd had only survived for the same reason he desperately needed to die: the Falcresti knew which ship he was on, the Oriati commander, and they wanted him as prisoner.

“Well, Kindalana,” he whispered, looking at his rapier, “you were right. It was a trap. I love you, I’m sorry, and please give Tau my apologies.”

So much for helping the people of occupied Aurdwynn liberate themselves. So much for Baru Cormorant, the great hope of the people.

So much for the seed of immortality growing in Awo’s back. It would never carry his soul down through millennia. He’d sold himself for nothing.

Awoharo Abd put up his rapier and advanced down the length of his ship, calling out in challenge. A squad of enemy marines roped aboard from the rigging of a Masqurade frigate: behind them, the sleek ship caught its own ropes on fire in the sea of flame, and now she tried to pull away, sailors pouring jars of their own stale piss on the catchfire.

“That’s right!” Awoharo taunted. “Some Navy, fighting with your own bottled piss! I bet you drink it too! Come on, take out your little knives! Have at you! Have at you! I am Awoharo of the House of Abd, master of ships, champion cat gambler, and I challenge you to mortal up-fuckery!”

Six Masquerade marines stared back at him. Red masks stuffed with chemical filters against the smoke. Armored bodies webbed with grenades and devices. Eyes invisible behind dark inhuman lenses as omniscient and indifferent as krakenfly eyes. Awoharo beckoned to them. You could get a good death, swordfighting: you could take them on one by one until at last they had to shoot you with their crossbows. Awoharo had ten years under a swordmaster and three years real fight experience. He may have been born a merchant, but he’d learned how to bleed.

The marine with the black slash of an officer across his mask yanked a gas grenade off the rip ring at his chest. The mechanism failed. The grenade’s chemicals didn’t burn, nothing happened. “Good one!” Awoharo jeered, leaping over bodies, kicking aside splintered wood, nimble and free with his rapier. He’d dance around these brutes, he’d poke them to death, quickfooted, hadn’t Kindalana loved his dancing? “Don’t be embarrassed! Happens to the best of us! Come on over here, I’ll show you a weapon that works!”

The marine officer stepped back, shrugging. He said something in Aphalone so muffled by his mask that Awoharo heard it only as a low sinister diagnosis. Like a doctor pronouncing the patient dead: to the patient’s face.

The rest of the marines walked straight at Awo, shoulder to shoulder, crouched a little against the roll of the ship.

“Sophisticated loving tactics!” Awoharo bellowed, as a huge sheet of fire roared up across the sea behind him, a slick of cooking oil catching alight. “Come on, form an orderly queue, who wants it first, my blade is lined with moral fiber and if I prick you you’ll realize what a thug you are! Form a — ”

The first marine proceeded straight onto his sword.

Awoharo stabbed the marine in the eye and the point of his faithful rapier skittered sideways off the marine’s steel cheek, sticking in his shoulder rig where the man grabbed the blade in his glove and hooked it on steel knuckle claws and twisted til the rapier bent.

“gently caress,” Awo said, in bemusement.

He went for his belt knife. The marines were too quick. The first punch hit like a shot of tequila and Awo went down on the pitching deck under stamping feet and steel truncheons. For a few moments he felt like the lead drum at his own funeral.

When they let up he threw his last defiance at them. His last weapon.

“Ayamma,” he whispered, and then, shouting into the face of the man cuffing him, into the indifferent red masks and the sea of burning corpses and the whole tyrannical loving design of Falcrest and its faceless Emperor, shouting with all he had left, the secret terrible bargain he’d made, “I am a thousand lives, you poor fools, it grows in me, a-ut lien, I have the immortata, the cancer grows!”

“The gently caress is he saying?” the marine asked his officer.

“Tunk superstition,” the officer growled. “This one goes straight to Apparitor.”

He dropped a bag over Awoharo’s head, shoved a gas grenade inside, cinched the bag shut, and yanked the grenade’s ripring.

At least it wasn’t the fire. At least it wasn’t the fire.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Ah gently caress you is that from the new book!?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Hopefully! If it survives the editing process.

Poldarn posted:

Another question from the peanut gallery:

Do you have a HEMA background? Cause I do and your swordfight scenes were legit.

Thanks! I'm glad to hear it. I don't have a HEMA background but I did just enough krav maga to realize what a clumsy rear end in a top hat I am (which played into the hand-to-hand fights), and I did a lot of HEMA research to get the sword bits right. Some of the choreography's just a straight rip of demo fights on Youtube.

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Hey, as long as I've got you in the thread - are the Clarified at all inspired by / derived from the Dunyain from the Second Apocalypse sextet?

Not directly! I think Bakker read some psychology, I come from a psych background, there's maybe some convergent evolution. IIRC the Dunyain are superhuman manipulators with perfect conditioning and eugenically tuned biology. Uuunfortunately humans are really hard to breed effectively because our generations are so long, and because humans are evolved as cultural sponges: we start picking up prestige cues and complex techniques even as infants.

The Clarified are a bit more of a down-to-earth take on the concept of the eugenically produced, psychologically conditioned superhuman: they're great at their specialized tasks, but they're kind of weird and glitchy and they tend to break down catastrophically because, really, it's not super easy to condition someone for absolute enthusiastic loyalty and performance and then get that conditioning to stick long term. All the alleged genetic superiority will get explored more, I hope, but claims of superhumanity should be evaluated critically!

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
The thing about the Incrastics that stuck with me the most is their use and overloading of the word 'hygiene'. Hygiene is important; it's an obvious benefit of science and wisdom. It protects us from illness and plague. But then they took that concept and just... extended it, to everything they wanted people to think is good. Sanctioned behavior is hygienic, obedience is hygienic, everything they like is hygienic. Everything else is unclean.

"Order is preferable to disorder." Sure, but... Who defines what 'order' is, exactly?

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Neat, thanks!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

General Battuta posted:

All the alleged genetic superiority will get explored more, I hope, but claims of superhumanity should be evaluated critically!
Well, this book does take place in an alternate universe where women are better at math than men, I think anything's possible :colbert:

I laugh every time I think about that guy sincerely believing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
That excerpt/draft is awesome, thanks! Looking forward to seeing more of the Oriati.

• Locked thread