Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

General Battuta posted:

Ah, the month is almost over! I'll never be this famous again!

I think it's important to leave a wall between writer and reader so that the reader has room to interpret the text without the author drooling all over. But whatever gently caress that, I'll talk about some poo poo.

I'm curious how many people picked up on/cared at all about the more subtle threads in the book. I tried to bury the plots of other novels in the story, then make Baru resolutely ignore them (because she's so focused on her goal). Part of the idea was to reward rereads, part of the idea was to seed future stories that would be interesting, but mostly I wanted the novel to illustrate that the world was bigger than Baru.

Just off the top of my head:

Heingyl Ri's plan to take over Aurdwynn.

The true identity of the actress in the bar (this one's super easy).

Exactly which vengeance-crazed individual killed Duke Sahaule, and why Baru presumes it was done!

Xate Yawa's motives throughout the novel (pretty explicitly revealed), and the identity of her backer.

The fate of Xate Olake's daughter with Tain Ko.

The identity of the man with the iron circle that Tain Hu mentions, although it'd be a mad stretch to guess this one just from the textual evidence.

Exactly what brought down the Tu Maia heartland.

The scientific error that drives Masquerade eugenics.

I'll try to remember if I dropped any other threads!

The last one has to be some form of soft inheritance/Lamarckism, right? I enjoyed that most of the Masquerade's atrocities were justified or driven by bad science rather than religion. It felt fresher than the usual fantasy take on things, and very 1984.

I'm terrible at catching hidden storylines like the others on a first read, though. I guess it's something to look forward to on a reread, ideally when the sequel comes out :)

E: I thought of a question I had about the worldbuilding. Would Baru's mother think of her as a lesbian? Or, if that's unclear: was sexuality perceived in terms of identity on Taranoke before Falcrest's colonization?

UnbearablyBlight fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Haha, I was about to ask! I was ... admittedly caught off guard a bit by her being a traitor twice over. I mean, she said right at the start of the book, and the start of her tenure, where her loyalties lay, and yet! It's the loving title! And yet. I was so willing to buy in. Goddamn, that ending. Part of me is a bit frustrated over more tragic lesbians, oh boy, never enough of those I guess but I get why it happened that way and I did really enjoy the book. There's some really lovely prose in here. I'm looking forward to the next one for sure.

Edit: Silly question, is there an 'official' pronunciation for the character names? "Lyxaxu" in particular kept varying wildly in how I thought that sounded.

Also, think I missed it, but how long has the Masquerade been around as a political force/empire?

I imagined Lyxaxu being pronounced as someone angrily starting to call you a liar and then sneezing in the middle of the word.

Also, while I get the criticism of tragic lesbian stories on a cultural level, I don't think it holds much water on an individual one. Especially this one, where the tragic outcome was character-driven, rather than an inevitable result of their sexuality (I know that's basically what you said).

E. Actually, I'm going to go on about that because I think it was quite well done. Even in an intensely homophobic society, Baru had the option to carve out a life for herself with Tain Hu. Things ended tragically because she steamrolled over her chances to be happy, or because she wouldn't have been happy with that life anyway, not because the chances weren't there. It worked for me because I never felt like tragedy was the only option for Baru, and her character was flawed in such a way that her story ending up tragic for her anyway made sense.

Also there's a sequel planned, and who knows what might happen there.

UnbearablyBlight fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 31, 2015

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Crashbee posted:

Wasn't the point of the ending the fact that she could only live with Tain if she accepted that her relationship would be used to blackmail and manipulate her for the rest of her life? Doesn't sound like much of an option to me.

There were points before that where things could have gone differently, she just would have had to change a lot of her goals and priorities. See the part I bolded here:

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Like, she was never really looking out for the dukes of Aurdwynn. She was always looking for her own power, and for Taranoke after that - even with the chances open to her to do things differently, I don't she ever saw those as valid options. She tried sending Tain Hu away, at least, but that didn't work. If she'd taken those other routes she wouldn't have been able to go to Falcrest/work her way into the cabal behind the Throne; or she would have, but would have had a knife over her head all the while ... I get what led her to her choices, mostly, sort of. I don't necessarily agree with those choices but it made sense. Tain Hu's death makes an awful sense. And man, Baru's scary.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I'm still bummed about it, though! I can accept it logically and still, as a gay woman myself, be frustrated, you dig? These are the stories I get all the time, too! Two women get together, but whoops, it's gonna end in tragedy. I think I'm displeased on a broad level, and not at the specific story. Just because it's a good story, just because it makes sense, doesn't mean it's not also still part of that broader context.

To this point, sure, I agree with you. I just tend to have a kneejerk reaction against that reaction, because so often I see it used to condemn a story on sight. Which isn't what you did at all!

• Locked thread