Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
This book is really drat good. As for the buried plotlines you were asking about, batutta, I'll need to reread because I kept saying to myself: "Huh, that's an interesting detail. I bet that character is known to me or I should catch that reference or something. Oh well, on with the important scheming!". Because the forward momentum of the book just kept me wanting to keep reading, I never stopped to really think about it. Saw the hooks, but ignored them because Baru did. :v:

E: I think kj Parker's engineer series is the best comparison, but I liked this far more. Baru's schemes make much more sense than whatsisname's, and the characters are better written.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

House Louse posted:

I don't doubt that's what I read, but I asked myself "why not only announce it?" Even if you don't take the "every door" thing literally.
Emphasize the impression that the Masquerade is better than you? After all, all of their citizens can read and write, why can't you? Relatively subtle cultural shaming, maybe. I hope that makes any sense.

• Locked thread