Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
I had no idea what was happening going in to this book, and i was extremely wary after page 2 indicated the main character had two dads. I blind-suggested it for my monthly book group, and thought I was going to eat poo poo after 2 pages.

That said, what an excellent portrayal and use of sexuality. I've never read a book before that utilized it so well - it's usually a gimmick to sell a sex scene or a complete bluster; in this it was a major plot point, but tasteful. I spent 50 pages waiting for Baru to gently caress Tain Hu, and then still loving cried over her sending her away. And then completely understood her being killed. What a brutal loving world they live in.

Made me want to read 10 more. Great book, Battuta. My book club meets next week - I hope you'll answer our questions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

A human heart posted:

Why would that make you wary?

Two dads and a mom to be exact. I thought I was getting into either another YA novel or a tumblr thought piece. Nothing wrong at all after I got into it - just something like that being front and center page one or two worried me. I want hardcore accounting action, not a big political message.

And I've been burned in this book club - our last book had a 30 page treatise on furries that scarred me forever.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Back to the book, I think Muire Lo was a real tragedy. Nothing Xate Yawa did said she deserved ascension, so I hope she doesn't get it in the next book, although I fully expect her to get it and become adversarial with Baru.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

Hedrigall posted:

Uh which book was this exactly?

Fables of the Bear by John Sayne, a local author. Good luck finding a copy, I'm almost positive he self published it for thousands of dollars.

• Locked thread