Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

General Battuta posted:

I've been doing an author's commentary that digs into some of the subtler stuff happening in the book. It's full of spoilers, so save it until you're done!

Neat. Will have to check that out afterwards.

I was in the process of picking something to read next when I saw this thread. TTBC was in the books to read pile and now the decision has been simplified. I loved City of Stairs (sounds like a vote for Goon Authors, I had no idea), and Max's Craft Sequence is far too much fun, so I'll take his enthusiasm as a good sign too. Ancillary Mercy ended pretty upbeat, so I'm ready for some dark and grim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I really enjoyed this and look forward to further books in this world. Even though it was, indeed, quite dark.

The author's commentary blog post series is a fun read (but definitely spoiler-tastic and should be left until after reading the book). It's rare (in my experience) to see an author pick through their own work like this and talk about some of the design and intent behind it.

I found this review/response (warning: full book spoilers) to raise a number of interesting points:
https://arkadymartine.wordpress.com/2015/09/27/the-traitor-baru-cormorant-a-reviewresponse/

I don't entirely agree with the reviewer's complaint that the Masquerade is "too evil"...

quote:

It commits every atrocity that a modern Western reader recognizes as abhorrent. This is a problem. It is a problem because we are asked, as readers, to believe that there are reasons besides blackmail that a person would willingly become an agent of the Masquerade. We are asked to imagine that the Masquerade is a beautiful machine.
Maybe I just have a more cynical outlook, but I don't find that too hard to imagine. Some of it is based on my assumption that Falcrest, which we have not yet seen by the end of the book, is a much better place to live than a recently-subjugated addition to the empire and some of it is based on the observation that people can overlook an awful lot of bad, if it does not directly harm them and theirs, and convince themselves that it is justified for perceived benefits to "society", "the world", etc.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Silver2195 posted:

The description of the Cold Cellars did seem a bit over the top, though; that kind of direct social control seems a bit out of place in a region where the Masquerade otherwise seemed to have left previous social systems in place.

It seemed to me that in the wake of the Fools' Rebellion and ongoing unrest, things ended up being handled in a very unsubtle way. Not quite the model absorption into the empire, which presumably looks more like what happened in Taranoke.

Quinton fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 13, 2015

• Locked thread