Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
m4444
Oct 27, 2012

What is Etrian Odyssey?

Etrian Odyssey is a first person grid-based dungeon crawler released in 2007. It hit upon a genre that had long since been abandoned, and actually did it well, taking the nonsensical adventure game puzzles that made older dungeon crawlers frustrating, while making sure the combat was difficult enough to be satisfying, and letting you use the touch screen to draw your own map. This made it successful enough to spawn an entire series, but the original has some rough edges, as you might expect. Still, the core mechanics are all present, so let's take a look at what started it all!

Spoiler Policy

The story in this game is practically non-existent until near the end, when it gains the tiniest bit of presence. Still, we may as well assume somebody who's never seen the game will read this thread, so the usual no spoiler policy applies. Since this is the first game in the series, you probably shouldn't get into major spoilery discussions about the other games, either.

Updates

Update 1: Etria Awaits
Update 2: The Town of Etria

More Stuff

Dr. Fetus has a wonderful Etrian Odyssey 3 LP going. Spoilers a bit, but if you don't care check it out!
An earlier LP of this game by 100percentjesusfree that seems to have died.

m4444 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m4444
Oct 27, 2012
Guild members!

Creator: AnAnonymousIdiot
Name: Hogarth
Class: Landsknecht
Portrait: 3
Bio: Just reached adulthood and shuffled into Etria on a dare with the clothes on his back and a skin of beer in hand. This would-be adventurer seeks fortune, fame, and a little romance if time permits. Never mind that he only just learned how to handle himself and probably doesn't think things beyond step 1; why let all these little things get in the way?

Creator: Tax Refund
Name: Sigmund
Class: Protector
Bio: Sigmund has been there and done that. World-weary and cynical, he all too often finds himself the lone voice of reason in a party of brash youngsters. Which is why he has been the only survivor of three guilds so far; in every case, he recommended against rushing in to whatever situation got the guild wiped out, but the rest of the party outvoted him. His shield skills were just barely enough to keep him alive while the rest of the party got massacred, and he could do nothing to save the rest of them. The LP guild will be his fourth and final guild: if this one gets wiped out too, he plans to hang up his adventuring gear and take up a safer job, like bungee-jumping over volcanoes. But he'll give it one last shot: you never know, this guild might, just might, be the one that makes it all the way through the Yggdrasil Labyrinth. We'll see...
Quote: "Sigh. Here we go again..."

Creator: Chilblain
Name: Minerva
Class: Survivalist
Portrait: 4
Bio: A seasoned (but unsuccessful) dungeon explorer who's too gung-ho for her own good. Her many narrow escapes have done little to make her wiser, but she still fashions herself a dungeoneering genius because of them.

Creator: Dr Pepper
Name: Rosalind
Class: Dark Hunter
Bio: Take the only daughter of a wealthy merchant. Now have said merchant lose all his money on booze, gambling, and foolish investments (Mostly taken while using booze and gambling.). Finally, have him flee the country and his poor daughter stuck with his debts. This Labyrinth thing gets lots of money fast, right?

Creator: Arcade Rabbit
Name: Vincent
Class: Alchemist
Portrait: 1
Bio: A young scientist with an interest in researching the flora and fauna of the Labrynth. He's calm and collected, almost to the point of being emotionally stunted. He's polite in good company, but never emotes much. Sentient plant? Fascinating. A butterfly that explodes upon death? Amazing. Techno-organic boss monsters? Yes please. He loves and wants to research all of it, even as it's slowly eating his friends, killing their medic, and slowly crushing his windpipe.

Creator: Internet Kraken
Name: Lutz
Class: Troubador
Bio: "Man walks into dungeon with lute. You laugh at him, yes? Think he can do nothing but play pretty songs before being reduced to handsome corpse? Well you'd be wrong. There is a time for lovely tunes but battle is not one of them. Rather, I unlock the secret potential in allies and strike fear in the enemy. How? I play terrible, vile music that torments the ear. Monsters run away screaming, confused by the horrible sounds. Allies are motivated to fight better and end the battle faster so I stop playing. Works extremely well. Very clever, very unique. Won't get my talent elsewhere."

Creator: theshim
Name: Samantha
Class: Medic
Bio: A young lady with a gift for medicine and empathy who desperately wanted to be a knight but was forced into the medical profession by her parents. While mostly satisfied with being a (very good) doctor, she still occasionally is overcome by the desire to wants to smash some skulls. High tolerance for pain, low for idiocy. Likes the color blue and seafood. Dislikes cats and whips.

m4444 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 18, 2015

m4444
Oct 27, 2012
Update 1: Etria Awaits

Video: Intro

DS Version

The Radha, governors of Etria, issued a proclamation throughout the continent... Any able-bodied adventurer was invited to investigate the forest and explore its depths. But no matter how many came to investigate the dungeon, none gained the renown they sought. As more adventurers tried and failed to conquer it, it came to be known by a new name...

You are the latest adventurer to journey to Etria in response to the Radha's proclamation. You have but one goal: explore the forest to win fame and fortune. Etria is at hand...

DS Version

We can't do anything without any characters, so let's go get some!

DS Version

: Then welcome, friend. Not many guilds lately are admitting new adventurers.

: Those shortsighted losers care too much about trifles to do any real investigation.

: There are loads of guys just sitting on their thumbs, who'd join any guild that'd take them.

Well we could do that...

But he makes it sound so intimidating! :ohdear:

: Hah! Your mouth says no, but your eyes... They say "Yes!"

Hey! Don't go deciding things for me!

Oh well, I guess we won't get anywhere otherwise.

: Great, then let's get started. Write what you want to call your guild in this ledger.

: Someday the world will know this name, so think carefully before choosing it.

Here's where we enter our guild name, and since nobody uses character names for anything, we'll be hearing it a lot.

This is what I generally go with, mostly because coming up with original names is hard.

: Now that you've got a guild, you'll need adventurers to fill it.

: If you've got the stones, then register your own name as a member.

: Think about it for a while, and make sure you register a variety of classes into your guild.

Here we go, now we can create some adventurers for our guild.

I'm kind of sick of this guy though, let's check out the town first.

: You've got guts, but you need brains too, man. Try again when you have some members.

...I don't think I like this guy. Fine then, jerk, we'll finish the paperwork first. :mad:

First we pick a name, because there are so many newbie adventurers around that we can afford to be that picky.

And next we pick their class! There are 7 classes available from the start, with 2 that we can't choose yet, even if it does tell us their names.

Lastly, we get to pick from one of 4 portraits based on the class we chose. So let's talk about the available classes, shall we?

Landsknect

STR: 9
VIT: 9
AGI: 7
LUC: 9
TEC: 6

Masters of sword and axe, Landsknects can bear a wide range of weapons and armor in close combat.
Balanced warriors for the front line.

Landskencts are basically swordsman. While it's true that they can also use axes (They're actually the only class that can) they have very few axe skills, so the higher damage on axes can't be utilized well. With swords they have attacks that can hit multiple times, as well as elemental chaser skills to follow up on your other classes. They're also able to sacrifice their defense for attack buffs, making them a focused damaged dealing class.

Survivalist

STR: 8
VIT: 7
AGI: 9
LUC: 10
TEC: 8

Fleet-footed and wise in the ways of the forest, their bow skills make them desirable allies.
Fast-acting fighters useful in either line.

Survivalits use bows for combat, and while they do have some decent damage skills, they're more useful for general support. They have passives that lower the chance of getting blindsided or increase the chance of pre-emptive attacks, and they can also force one of your other party members to go first in a turn. They also have speed and evasion buffs, and a skill for escaping battle if things look bleak (though fleeing in this game is fairly easy already).

Protector

STR: 10
AGI: 6

Holy defenders of the weak. A Protector's sword and shield are invaluable tools when in the dungeon.
Best used as front-line warriors.

Protectors are exactly what they sound like, they use their shield skills to protect the party, and can even nullify certain attacks if you plan well. Their damage isn't particularly good, though they do learn a shield bash they can use when they aren't busy (they're usually busy though).

Dark Hunter

AGI: 8
LUC: 7
TEC: 9

Pinpoint lashes of their whip can weaken opponents. Use their skills wisely to turn the tide of battles.
Their skills are best used in the front.

Dark Hunters have two different builds, they can use whips, which focus on binding enemies to prevent them from using skills, or they can use swords, which focus on inflicting status effects, such as confusion and paralyze. They're the only class that can use whips though, and they can learn one of the very few instant death attacks with them, so I generally prefer to build them that way. Unlike Landsknects though, they're viable either way.

Medic

STR: 6
VIT: 6

Unskilled in battle, their healing arts allow experienced warriors to survive difficult battles.
Use their healing gifts from the back.

Medics probably need very little explanation, they're very focused on keeping your party alive, as well as curing status effects and even reviving the fallen. There's very little room to build them any other way, though they do have a skill with an exceptionally high chance of inflicting stun. Since other classes have little or no healing ability though, it's definitely recommended to pour all of their points into keeping your party going.

Alchemist

STR: 5
VIT: 5
LUC: 8
TEC: 10

Those who study the control of nature. The power of fire, ice, and lightning is at their command.
Elementalists who prefer the back.

Alchemits are the best source of elemental damage, hitting hard with the three elements that the series uses. They generally want to focus on one or two elements, due to how many skill points they end up using. They can also learn poison skills, as well as a skill to warp your party to safety, but their focus is generally on straight damage.

Troubadour

Lively dancers and singers who inspire the party. Their support is always welcome in combat.
Supporters able to work on either line.

Troubadours are support classes all the way. They can equip bows to safely attack from the back line, but their damage is very limited. Their main focus is on their wide variety of buffs. They can apply HP or TP regen, boost attack or defense, and even enchant weapons with elemental damage. They're also the only class that can remove buffs from enemies, which can be very useful. They even have a passive that increases your party's exp gain!

I'll be going with this party for now.

Now we can choose the formation option to put up to five adventurers in our party, and finally set out!

I spend my demonstration party's skill points in the menu, and then it's time for a bit of combat!

Video: First battle!

DS Version

Treerat
HP: 19
AT: 10
DF: 14
EXP: 6
Drops: Small Fang, Soft Hide
Gold Drop: None
Description: Small, omnivorous rodents that will attack any threat to their territory.
Weakness: Fire
Resistance: None

Skills:

None

Woodfly
HP: 19
AT: 11
DF: 14
EXP: 12
Drops: Bug Wing, Tiny Petal
Gold Drop: Insect Eye - Don't defeat with physical damage
Description: Butterflies often seen at the forest entrance. Easy prey even for novice adventurers.
Weakness: Volt
Resistance: None

Skills:

Whirr: Has a chance to bind one party member's head.

Nothing terribly special about these, aside from the difficulty of finding more specific numbers for weaknesses and resistances. Treerats also have a chance of fleeing, which gets higher as your party gets stronger.

We've got the standard turn based RPG commands here, except for boost, but we'll talk about that later.

Our landsknecht is basically our warrior, his goal is dealing physical damage.

Protectors are tanks, their guard skills reduce the physical damage taken by a row for the turn they're used on.

Dark hunters balance straight damage with status effects and binds, viper has a chance to poison an enemy.

And alchemists are our source of elemental damage, nice and simple.

Here's front guard in action.

He still took some damage though.

Viper actually does decent damage on it's own.

The poison is a nice bonus though!

And following up with some straight damage skills, even this early fire is enough to one-shot the woodfly.

And here we see the damage from poison kicking in.

Which leaves us with one almost dead rat. Easy enough!

The medic's role should be pretty obvious, but she never got the chance to actually use cure.

Because everything was already dead.

DS Version

And then we get prizes! Experience for levels and drops for selling.

Now, I could just play through the game like this, but I've done that before. Instead, we're going to be doing this in style, with thread participation! I'll be giving you some time to create characters for my guild, after which I'll be picking my favorite of each class to actually use. We'll be leaving the hexer and ronin for later, when we actually unlock them, so don't go making those now. Your characters should have a name, a class, a portrait chosen from the 4 available, and a bio so I know what their personality is like.

We also need a guild name! This will be chosen by most votes, rather then me just picking my favorite. Be sure to bold your votes! If it's not bold, I won't count it. Lastly, I'm allowing you to vote on the party I'll be using for the first update or two! ...Mostly, at least. I'm bringing the medic with me regardless of the votes. Since the other classes have extremely little in the way of healing, having no medic early on means all of your money goes to healing items, which isn't fun for anybody. So! Vote for two classes you'd like to see in the party! The top four will be coming along with our medic. This also means don't vote for the medic, that's just a waste of your vote. Oh, and I'll be ignoring votes for player's choice since I'm already forcing a medic into the party, you really can't screw me over here. That's all then, let the thread begin!

m4444 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 5, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

m4444 posted:

Landsknect

STR: 9
TEC: 6

Masters of sword and axe, Landsknects can bear a wide range of weapons and armor in close combat.
Balanced warriors for the front line.

Landskencts are basically swordsman. While it's true that they can also use axes (They're actually the only class that can) they have very few axe skills, so the higher damage on axes can't be utilized well. With swords they have attacks that can hit multiple times, as well as elemental chaser skills to follow up on your other classes. They're also able to sacrifice their defense for attack buffs, making them a focused damaged dealing class.

Gonna have to disagree about axes being not viable. While swords are more enticing, what with being able to attack multiple enemies at once, Axesknechts are the 2nd strongest damage dealer in the game, so there is a reason to use them. (Also by the end, you have enough skill points to invest in the best sword and axe skills.)

quote:

Survivalist

AGI: 9

Fleet-footed and wise in the ways of the forest, their bow skills make them desirable allies.
Fast-acting fighters useful in either line.

Survivalits use bows for combat, and while they do have some decent damage skills, they're more useful for general support. They have passives that lower the chance of getting blindsided or increase the chance of pre-emptive attacks, and they can also force one of your other party members to go first in a turn. They also have speed and evasion buffs, and a skill for escaping battle if things look bleak (though fleeing in this game is fairly easy already).

Also gonna have to disagree on them being more useful as supports. They are the 3rd strongest damage dealer in the game since their bow skills deal a ton of damage and the best one inflicts stun. It's not like the later games where they are better off being supports since their damage is bad there.

quote:

Medic

Unskilled in battle, their healing arts allow experienced warriors to survive difficult battles.
Use their healing gifts from the back.

Medics probably need very little explanation, they're very focused on keeping your party alive, as well as curing status effects and even reviving the fallen. There's very little room to build them any other way, though they do have a skill with an exceptionally high chance of inflicting stun. Since other classes have little or no healing ability though, it's definitely recommended to pour all of their points into keeping your party going.

I wouldn't say to always ignore their combat abilities. Unlike the later EO games, Medics are actually really strong front line fighters once they have the right skills unlocked. And there's enough skill points to invest in their important medical abilities and combat abilities by the mid game.

Oh right a character. Uhhhhh, here!

Name: Vivian
Portrait: 2
Bio: A kind woman who prefers protecting others instead of fighting monsters herself. Doesn't really like resorting to violence all that often, and prefers to let others do the job. Is a bit squeamish. Her goal is to explore the Labyrinth to earn money and find supplies to help take care of her family and relatives.

Good luck with this. Etrian Odyssey 1 is a rough and tough game if you play fair with it.

As for class votes, I dunno. Survivalist and Protector. Undecided on the guild name.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 5, 2015

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Another EO LP? Hell yes for another round of :atlus:.

Name: Patricia
Background: She wanted to be a magician when she was a young girl. Upon hearing that alchemists create elements from mystic formulas, it sounded magical enough for her to become one. She wasn't expecting all the research and study to effectively use those formulas to take so much effort. Now she's ready to take out her stress show some magic to the monsters of the labyrinth and ruin their day put on a show.

Start the team with the Landshark and Protector, guild name Rhapsody because I'm listening to Queen while thinking this up.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Maybe this one will get finished! :v:

Right, fun times.

Bio Take the only daughter of a wealthy merchant. Now have said merchant lose all his money on booze, gambling, and foolish investments (Mostly taken while using booze and gambling.). Finally, have him flee the country and his poor daughter stuck with his debts. This Labyrinth thing gets lots of money fast, right?

Dark Hunter and Alchemist.

m4444
Oct 27, 2012
I hope I didn't make it sound like survivalists are weak, they definitely can do damage. Their support skills just heavily outnumber their attack skills, and the first act trick in particular is very useful. As for axesknects, I've never been a fan, I tend to get more out of allslash in particular. You're right about skill points though, they aren't a hungry class in that regard. Medics though, if you're relying on them for healing there's almost always a better place to put those points. Generally you'll end up more reliant on (variably expensive) items if you aren't careful. Really I think the bigger issue here is the lack of raw numbers, the first game hasn't been pulled apart quite to the extent of the others, or at least not in places I can find (I do have the exact skill numbers for each level thankfully), so opinions are a lot more common.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Good luck with this. Etrian Odyssey 1 is a rough and tough game if you play fair with it.

And that'll depend on the thread, I suppose. I'm prepared though! :getin:

m4444 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 5, 2015

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

This will be fun to watch. Best wishes on your expedition.

Character-wise I have this:

Bio: Just reached adulthood and shuffled into Etria on a dare with the clothes on his back and a skin of beer in hand. This would-be adventurer seeks fortune, fame, and a little romance if time permits. Never mind that he only just learned how to handle himself and probably doesn't think things beyond step 1; why let all these little things get in the way? .

Does *unintelligible* fit as our guild name? Beyond that, let's lead with Landsknecht and Survivalist

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Name: Carlie
Portrait: 2
Bio: An airheaded girl who likes cute things and exploring. She can always bring a smile to other faces with her gentle naivete. Nothing can keep her down, except for scary stories. her favourite food is all foods. She wants to explore the Labyrinth because it sounded like a fun thing to do with friends.

Let's have a Medic and Protector in the rotation. I have no idea for guild name, I just use the guild name I always use, Shadows

Chilblain
Oct 20, 2012

"You used some rude language towards me."
For that reason alone, I'll drop you into hell.
Bio: A seasoned (but unsuccessful) dungeon explorer who's too gung-ho for her own good. Her many narrow escapes have done little to make her wiser, but she still fashions herself a dungeoneering genius because of them.

For classes, I'd like to se some Alchemist and Protector use, and for a guild name I like the sound of Polaris.

Chilblain fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 5, 2015

m4444
Oct 27, 2012

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Does *unintelligible* fit as our guild name? Beyond that, let's lead with Landsknecht and Survivalist

Definitely not, forgot to mention but it's an 8 character maximum.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Name: Gunther
Class: Troubadour
Bio: Heard music and adventuring were good ways of picking up the ladies, so he ventures off in search of fame and fortune. Soon he'll have more admirers than he knows what to do with! I mean, how hard could some rats and butterflies be? Right?

Pack a Troubador and a Dark Hunter. Guild name: Alpha.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Huh. I half expected Dr. Fetus to do this one, too.

I'll edit this with character info later. For now I vote for

Classes: Alchemist, Dark Hunter

Guild Name: Evergreen

---

I'm unoriginal, so I'll go with

Character Name: Teach

Class: Protector, Profile 2 (Blonde Female)

History: The main character of the series. Fully aware she's in a video game, though she tries not to break the fourth wall too much so as not to ruin the player's immersion. Probably has a copy of the game script up to the end of the third Stratum somewhere on her person that she uses to nudge the characters in the right direction when they get stuck. Has no idea how the plot of the game ends, but is secure in her role due to having it on good faith that she's been selected as the series mascot and already being signed on for a sequel.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 6, 2015

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Was not expecting this LP to pop up. Can't say I can go back to playing this with the 3DS ones (that font is really ugly now that I've adjusted...), but, hey, no complaints here, honest.

Can't think up a character or guild name, so I'll just vote Dark Hunter and Survivalist.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hot drat, two EO LPs at once, what a time to be alive.

Name: Theo
Bio: A quiet, watchful man from the shadows who likes to think of himself as the distant and interesting guy, shrouded in mystery, where in reality he's pretty easy to scare and really, really eager to talk about his bow and how much he cares for and looks after it. But yeah, so coooooooooool.... *flicks back hair*

Anyway, Landschneckt and Alchemist, two sides of the damage coin.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Name: Andrew
Bio: A man on a mission, seeking answers about the disappearance of his old friend. Because of this, he sometimes acts on edge, but is normally calm and kind to people he meeets. Andrew's friend joined a guild, but he didn't speak much about it in his letters. The only clue Andrew has is that the friend was complaining about "hugging chains" - whatever that is.

Yes, it's a joke about the character I made in the last LP. Good luck with this one, and here's hoping you can finish this!

Edit: Lets go with Protector and Alchemist, and call the guild New Dawn

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 6, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I've never played these games before, so I don't know how the system works and can't contribute, but I'll stick around and see how far this LP goes.

m4444
Oct 27, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I've never played these games before, so I don't know how the system works and can't contribute, but I'll stick around and see how far this LP goes.

All the more reason you should contribute! I'm not asking you to min-max a character for me, feel free to vote for whatever you want. I get to do the legwork either way.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Awww yes.

Gonna throw my hat in for a character.

Bio: A young lady with a gift for medicine and empathy who desperately wanted to be a knight but was forced into the medical profession by her parents. While mostly satisfied with being a (very good) doctor, she still occasionally is overcome by the desire to wants to smash some skulls. High tolerance for pain, low for idiocy. Likes the color blue and seafood. Dislikes cats and whips.

Guild name...hmmm. How about Persist?

m4444
Oct 27, 2012

theshim posted:

Awww yes.

Gonna throw my hat in for a character.

Guild name...hmmm. How about Persist?

I see what you're trying to get me to do. :colbert: Really though, I'll probably show off some bashing, I'm just wary of inflicting that rest cost too often.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

m4444 posted:

I see what you're trying to get me to do. :colbert: Really though, I'll probably show off some bashing, I'm just wary of inflicting that rest cost too often.

Could you not just speed up regrinding characters with action replay codes and the like?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

m4444 posted:

Medics have enough points to invest in being a combat Medic and their important skills. You shouldn't have to rest them. in fact, don't rely on using the Rest function often. You can't use it until level 30 anyways. Yes, level 30. Screwed up your character build? Too bad, make a new one or wait until then!

m4444
Oct 27, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

Could you not just speed up regrinding characters with action replay codes and the like?

I -could- but I'm not going to. I mean really now.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Medics have enough points to invest in being a combat Medic and their important skills. You shouldn't have to rest them. in fact, don't rely on using the Rest function often. You can't use it until level 30 anyways. Yes, level 30. Screwed up your character build? Too bad, make a new one or wait until then!

Yeah, that's more or less what I meant. I might use it once or twice for certain things, but it's never necessary. I'm well aware of how bad it is in this game at least.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

m4444 posted:

I -could- but I'm not going to. I mean really now.

But you are gonna do that to keep all the reserve characters at the same level as the active characters, right? EO1 isn't one of the grind friendly games. Eventually you're gonna have 9 characters to work with, and it's gonna be a hassle keeping them up to date so they don't get instantly gibbed going into a later part of the game.

m4444
Oct 27, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

But you are gonna do that to keep all the reserve characters at the same level as the active characters, right? EO1 isn't one of the grind friendly games. Eventually you're gonna have 9 characters to work with, and it's gonna be a hassle keeping them up to date so they don't get instantly gibbed going into a later part of the game.

Well yeah. That's practically required. I only have the patience for so many tree frogs, after all.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Bio: A young scientist with an interest in researching the flora and fauna of the Labrynth. He's calm and collected, almost to the point of being emotionally stunted. He's polite in good company, but never emotes much. Sentient plant? Fascinating. A butterfly that explodes upon death? Amazing. Techno-organic boss monsters? Yes please. He loves and wants to research all of it, even as itss slowly eating his friends, killing their medic, and slowly crushing his windpipe.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Name: Croix
Personality: Croix is a ladies man, through and through. He hits on his fellow guild members, random people at the bar, and his associates in the inn and shop. However, he cares about women's safety, as well as friends and family. He is loyal through and through, and became a whip-wielding Dark Hunter to prevent his friends from being hurt by beasts. Handles combat strategy and party composition, being something of a tactician. Likes alcohol, women, and a good sleep. Dislikes friends being hurt and spicy foods.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 12, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Bio: "Man walks into dungeon with lute. You laugh at him, yes? Think he can do nothing but play pretty songs before being reduced to handsome corpse? Well you'd be wrong. There is a time for lovely tunes but battle is not one of them. Rather, I unlock the secret potential in allies and strike fear in the enemy. How? I play terrible, vile music that torments the ear. Monsters run away screaming, confused by the horrible sounds. Allies are motivated to fight better and end the battle faster so I stop playing. Works extremely well. Very clever, very unique. Won't get my talent elsewhere."

Voting for Troubador and Alchemist.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
What the heck, I'll throw in my own suggestion for a Protector character.

Bio: Sigmund has been there and done that. World-weary and cynical, he all too often finds himself the lone voice of reason in a party of brash youngsters. Which is why he has been the only survivor of three guilds so far; in every case, he recommended against rushing in to whatever situation got the guild wiped out, but the rest of the party outvoted him. His shield skills were just barely enough to keep him alive while the rest of the party got massacred, and he could do nothing to save the rest of them. The LP guild will be his fourth and final guild: if this one gets wiped out too, he plans to hang up his adventuring gear and take up a safer job, like bungee-jumping over volcanoes. But he'll give it one last shot: you never know, this guild might, just might, be the one that makes it all the way through the Yggdrasil Labyrinth. We'll see...

Also, voting for Troubadour and Alchemist, as those seem like they'd be the most fun to watch.

m4444
Oct 27, 2012
Alright, current votes for classes are as follows:

Landsknecht: 3
Protector: 5
Survivalist: 3
Dark Hunter: 4
Alchemist: 7
Troubadour: 3

There was also a vote for medic. Tsk tsk. As for guild names, we've got a few suggestions, but none with any backing:

Rhapsody: 1
Shadows: 1
Polaris: 1
Alpha: 1
Evergreen: 1
New Dawn: 1
Persist?: 1

I'll leave voting and character creation open until at least mid-week, so if there's something you want to vote for now is the time!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oh, almost forgot to vote for classes and guild name.
Classes: Dark Hunter and Alchemist.
Guild Name: I vote for New Dawn.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 14, 2015

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I'll change my guild name vote to Polaris if it helps.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I got this game on a masochistic whim after having been warned how brutal it could be and am now completely stuck on a wolf boss not too far into the game. Here's hoping for some hot tactical tips! Maybe I'll even pick it up again. It's fun drawing the map and exploring, it's not fun having to spend half an hour trudging through a dungeon to get obliterated by a boss that seems to tell me "just grind some more, rear end in a top hat". I don't know how much more.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Simply Simon posted:

I got this game on a masochistic whim after having been warned how brutal it could be and am now completely stuck on a wolf boss not too far into the game. Here's hoping for some hot tactical tips! Maybe I'll even pick it up again. It's fun drawing the map and exploring, it's not fun having to spend half an hour trudging through a dungeon to get obliterated by a boss that seems to tell me "just grind some more, rear end in a top hat". I don't know how much more.
I'd really recommend sticking your head in over here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705626 There are crazy people in the EO megathread that can tell you far, far too much about everything.

m4444
Oct 27, 2012

theshim posted:

I'd really recommend sticking your head in over here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705626 There are crazy people in the EO megathread that can tell you far, far too much about everything.

I second this, the early game is generally considered the hardest part of this game too. Excluding post-game, naturally. Just means you have to figure out what you're doing before you get in too deep.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I can't really say for the early games, but in the later ones a single level can be a huge advantage. One extra skill point for each team member to increase damage output, effect chance, or whatever it happens to be can make a big difference. Haven't played anything prior to 4 and Q though, so not sure if the same principle works on the earlier stuff. I'd also agree that the earliest parts of an EO game are the hardest.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I can't really say for the early games, but in the later ones a single level can be a huge advantage. One extra skill point for each team member to increase damage output, effect chance, or whatever it happens to be can make a big difference. Haven't played anything prior to 4 and Q though, so not sure if the same principle works on the earlier stuff. I'd also agree that the earliest parts of an EO game are the hardest.

Levels matter big time in EO1. First of all, there's all that stuff you mentioned. But the kicker is that enemies have levels too. (Treerats and Woodflies are level 2, for example.) After an attack goes through the damage formula, there's an additional multiplier applied on top of that depending on how far apart the attacker's and the target's levels are.

For example, if a level 1 party member attacks a level 15 enemy, their damage would get reduced to 56%. On the other hand, if said enemy attacks the party member, they get a 1.73 multiplier applied to their damage. Ouch. On top of already having like lower stats and all, that can make it feel like you're fighting an uphill battle at times. That aspect got taken out of the later EO games entirely.

m4444
Oct 27, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Levels matter big time in EO1. First of all, there's all that stuff you mentioned. But the kicker is that enemies have levels too. (Treerats and Woodflies are level 2, for example.) After an attack goes through the damage formula, there's an additional multiplier applied on top of that depending on how far apart the attacker's and the target's levels are.

For example, if a level 1 party member attacks a level 15 enemy, their damage would get reduced to 56%. On the other hand, if said enemy attacks the party member, they get a 1.73 multiplier applied to their damage. Ouch. On top of already having like lower stats and all, that can make it feel like you're fighting an uphill battle at times. That aspect got taken out of the later EO games entirely.

I don't have much to add to this, gaining even a couple levels can make a world of difference when you're stuck in this game. The less pronounced downside is that every skill caps at 10, even in cases where, in future games, it would be a 1 point or 5 point skill. That's more of a thing you have to build around though.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Name: Forte
Bio: He doesn't speak too often, he lets his music do the talking. Only talks when he has something important to say. He has a reason for not being the chattiest person, but isn't going to share that with random strangers.

Voting for Troubador and your choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m4444
Oct 27, 2012
Voting is closed!

Sorry for the delay, but extra voting time doesn't hurt anybody. Now then, the votes for party are as follows:

Landsknecht: 3
Protector: 5
Survivalist: 3
Dark Hunter: 5
Alchemist: 8
Troubadour: 4

So we'll be starting out with Medic, Protector, Dark Hunter, Alchemist, and Troubadour! I can definitely work with that, though it'll be a little squishy overall until I get a couple levels. As for our guild name:

Rhapsody: 1
Polaris: 2
Alpha: 1
Evergreen: 1
New Dawn: 2
Persist?: 1

We ended up with a tie between Polaris and New Dawn, so I'll be going with my preference of the two, New Dawn! Now, I'm sure what you all really want to know is which characters I'll be using. Here comes the list!

Bio: Just reached adulthood and shuffled into Etria on a dare with the clothes on his back and a skin of beer in hand. This would-be adventurer seeks fortune, fame, and a little romance if time permits. Never mind that he only just learned how to handle himself and probably doesn't think things beyond step 1; why let all these little things get in the way?

Congratulations on making the only Landsknecht AnAnonymousIdiot!

Sigmund sounds like my kind of protector, nicely done Tax Refund!

Of course, Sigmund will have his work cut out for him. Minerva is courtesy of Chilblain, thanks!

Bio: Take the only daughter of a wealthy merchant. Now have said merchant lose all his money on booze, gambling, and foolish investments (Mostly taken while using booze and gambling.). Finally, have him flee the country and his poor daughter stuck with his debts. This Labyrinth thing gets lots of money fast, right?

Dr Pepper has ruined Rosalind's life for our entertainment, and for this we should be thankful.

Bio: A young scientist with an interest in researching the flora and fauna of the Labrynth. He's calm and collected, almost to the point of being emotionally stunted. He's polite in good company, but never emotes much. Sentient plant? Fascinating. A butterfly that explodes upon death? Amazing. Techno-organic boss monsters? Yes please. He loves and wants to research all of it, even as it's slowly eating his friends, killing their medic, and slowly crushing his windpipe.

Arcade Rabbit has provided an alchemist that will no doubt be thrilled at the variety of ways things will try to kill him. Thanks!

Internet Kraken is a genius. I mean, how could I not pick Lutz? :colbert:

Unfortunately Samantha will likely be dealing with a lot of idiots. Regardless, thanks theshim for the medic!

I'll update the second post with this information as well, and I should have plenty of time to work on the first real update tomorrow. Are we ready? We can only hope. :getin:

m4444 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 18, 2015

• Locked thread