Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Wow, the info that even one level is hugely important is a big one - thanks for that! Maybe if I seriously need some distraction from how incredibly loving good Bravely Default is, I'll give the ol' grindfest another spin.

Until then, I'll follow the LP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uKIeamPi2Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Simply Simon posted:

Wow, the info that even one level is hugely important is a big one - thanks for that! Maybe if I seriously need some distraction from how incredibly loving good Bravely Default is, I'll give the ol' grindfest another spin.

Until then, I'll follow the LP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uKIeamPi2Y

If you're stuck on the first boss, it's level 17. So your party should ideally be close to that point. Granted there are ways to deal with it other than grind more, but that'll probably get covered in the LP.

m4444
Oct 27, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

If you're stuck on the first boss, it's level 17. So your party should ideally be close to that point. Granted there are ways to deal with it other than grind more, but that'll probably get covered in the LP.

Maaaaybe? I don't know if I can be quite so informative as you, but I do know the biggest way to deal with him at lower levels.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Aw shucks. I probably should've come up with a more serious character suggestion.

Ah well. Looking forward to the LP. :)

m4444
Oct 27, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Aw shucks. I probably should've come up with a more serious character suggestion.

Ah well. Looking forward to the LP. :)

Protector was one of the more popular choices for creation. Also 4th wall writing is hard. :sweatdrop: I appreciate the entry regardless though!

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

You picked the right choice for the Alchemist. After I read his bio, I knew that he would be a much better character than mine would have been.

At least my pick for the guild name won!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
How is "money grubber" a better Dark Hunter personality than "handsome lech"?
Also, now that we know the personalities of our cast, we can write suggestions for relationships (crushes, friendships, rivalries, love triangles, etc.).
Double also, how about we give each character a "guild duty" (monster analysis, mapping, strategist, etc.) for a in-universe way to state monster weaknesses and skills, mapping of special areas, and boss strategies? Sound good, m4x4?

Junpei fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 21, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

That would probably be going overboard and not exactly necessary. None of the other narrative EO LPs needed to do such a thing.

m4444
Oct 27, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

That would probably be going overboard and not exactly necessary. None of the other narrative EO LPs needed to do such a thing.

I have to agree, I don't really intend to write an entire narrative for this game, it's just more fun to have guild members with personalities. On that note, I've been delayed a bit, but the update should be up by the end of the week, sorry to keep you guys waiting right at the start.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Please specify: are you talking about relationships between guild members, or in-universe talk of game mechanics? Also, why money grubber over chivalrous pervert?

m4444
Oct 27, 2012

Junpei posted:

Please specify: are you talking about relationships between guild members, or in-universe talk of game mechanics? Also, why money grubber over chivalrous pervert?

Both. And I picked the characters I liked the best, both from a character standpoint and a writing standpoint. That's really all there is to it.

m4444 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 22, 2015

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

m4444 posted:

Both. And I picked the characters I liked the best, both from a character standpoint and a writing standpoint. That's really all there is to it.

It's cool, wasn't whining.Just thought it would be interesting to have some romance and drama in there. But I know one thing. Sigmund and the medic will hit it off because a. They hate people being idiots and b. Their jobs require each other (protectors need their health in hip-hop shape to tank, and medics need someone to protect them)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Please don't pair up pixellated schoolchildren.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Sigmund's portrait puts him in his 30's. Do your #*$@ing research.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Who even gives this much of a poo poo?

No, seriously, who cares about deep character relationships in a light narrative LP?

I can't speak for the OP, because I'm not the OP, but I'm pretty drat sure there's a difference between that and an outright near-novelization attempt. Which would just basically be extensive fanfiction and possibly overtake the coverage of the actual game.

Apologies to m4444 if you are actually going for that kind of thing, though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This is already going off to a stunning start.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Junpei posted:

Sigmund's portrait puts him in his 30's. Do your #*$@ing research.

Please stop.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Hivac posted:

Who even gives this much of a poo poo?

No, seriously, who cares about deep character relationships in a light narrative LP?

I can't speak for the OP, because I'm not the OP, but I'm pretty drat sure there's a difference between that and an outright near-novelization attempt. Which would just basically be extensive fanfiction and possibly overtake the coverage of the actual game.

Apologies to m4444 if you are actually going for that kind of thing, though.

Apologies to someone who obviously loooves boring, flat, one dimensional characters.
Just trying something new to keep things interesting! I'm just trying out my new ideas. Oh, and I didn't mean a romantic relationship between Sigmund and Samantha, just friendship and mutual respect.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Junpei posted:

Apologies to someone who obviously loooves boring, flat, one dimensional characters.
Just trying something new to keep things interesting! I'm just trying out my new ideas. Oh, and I didn't mean a romantic relationship between Sigmund and Samantha, just friendship and mutual respect.

You're welcome to go and start your own EO1 LP with all the weird romantic drama you'd like.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

kirbysuperstar posted:

You're welcome to go and start your own EO1 LP with all the weird romantic drama you'd like.

Don't have any equipment for recording and the like.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
My PC is a loving potato from 2008 and I could probably record footage for a DS game

edit: whatever, this derail is stupid

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Ok, so... Anyone here have 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Junpei posted:

Ok, so... Anyone here have 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight?

Still waiting on that European release.

m4444
Oct 27, 2012
Wow, ok. Feel free to blame Tales of Zestiria for the delay, and also me, I guess. Update will hit tomorrow, since it's mostly done already. Sorry! :sweatdrop:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

m4444 posted:

Wow, ok. Feel free to blame Tales of Zestiria for the delay, and also me, I guess. Update will hit tomorrow, since it's mostly done already. Sorry! :sweatdrop:

It's ok, I've seen it and ToZ looks amazing, so keep playing.

m4444
Oct 27, 2012
Update 2: The Town of Etria

Here's hoping it's not just optimism.

Our part of five is ready to go! Well, they exist now at any rate. Here's their starting stats.

Nothing too exciting, but you have to start somewhere!

Now we need to actually make a party, or they'll just hang out at the guild all day.

We can have 3 members in a row at most, with our current party we've got 2 front liners and a full back row.

There's also some options under organize, but all we could do now is dismiss members, which we're not going to do.

Let's see what the guildmaster has to say instead.

Well, uh, I'm sure we'll learn quickly.

When we go to leave the guildmaster has one last thing to tell us.

I hope you can shake things up in this town and clear out some of the deadwood.

I'm looking forward to the day the New Dawn guild becomes known the world over!

Sheesh, no pressure right?

Alright guys, we should go make some preperations before we head into the...they're already gone. :sigh:

I've been dying to get a proper look at the Labyrinth!

Er, I am, but I'd like to get started on my research if you don't mind.

Well, if you want to get into the Labyrinth, you'll need the Radha's permission first.

No permission, no entry, no exceptions.

Let's go back guys, we left Sigmund behind anyway.

Oh well, hopefully this won't take long.

There you are! We should really be prepared before we head into the forest, and you guys should get familiar with the town while we're at it.

Let us start by getting familiar with local drinks.

But we can't really afford any drinks...I guess we can still introduce ourselves.

You new in town? If you're going down in the Labyrinth, you should visit the Radha first.

So we've heard.

Every adventurer's got to go through Radha Hall before they're officially recognized.

Wait, work?

Once you're legit, come and see me again, all right? I'll be looking forward to it.

What kind of work are we talking about?

Man, this town is really serious about their Radha.

What if we just want drink?

I know mapping the forest is hard, but everyone has to start somewhere. Good luck out there.

Perhaps a bit too serious. Will be back regardless.

In case it wasn't already obvious, this is where we come to accept and turn in side quests, but we can't do so until we're officially recognized.

Now then, Shilleka's Goods is the best place around to buy equipment. Which we currently have very little of.

Are you t'guild I hear 'bout wit' only new folk?

Explorers like you are my best customers! I look forward t'doing business witcha!

You don't seem to have very much on display.

Whatever y'find in the forest, bring it here. I'll buy anyt'ing y'bring me!

Really? Anything?!?

Don't expect me t'buy dirt and twigs, though!

Right, sorry.

Well, this stuff is still better then what we've got. How much can we afford to spend on gear?

Well... I've got 1000 ental here. We can use that to get started.

Are you sure that's ok? Isn't that all you have left?

I... it's fine, I just need to think of it as an investment! We'll make way more back! ...I hope.

Let's take a look at what's currently available, shall we?

A handful of basic weapons, the icons above the description show which classes can equip them. Everybody starts out with a dagger, except for alchemists and medics, which start with wands. I buy a scramasax for Sigmund, a whip for Rosalind, and a bow for Lutz. He can't learn any bow skills, but he'll at least avoid the back row damage penalty when he's not playing songs.

The armor is also fairly basic, though everybody starts out with nothing but tweed, so it's worth buying things for the other 2 armor slots. I get boots for everyone, a targe for Sigmund, and hairpins for everybody else.

And a couple more things that we don't buy.

Good, we still have a bit left over. There's an apothecary right nearby, we can buy some medicine as well.

We also offer medicines to take with you. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

If you're wounded in the forest, then come back here, and we'll do everything we can for you.

Well, that's reassuring. Hopefully that won't be necessary, though.

If you're going down into the Labyrinth, I'd prescribe taking one along.

I'll do my best!

Let's see what you have available for supplies.

:psyboom:

That is some expensive medicine!

Does medicine make you immortal?!?

Axcelas are very, -very- expensive for their rather unhelpful effect. I'll get into boost later, but don't buy these.

Amritas, on the other hand, are worth the cost. Probably not worth buying with your starting funds, though.

Well, the Medicas are affordable. Let's get a few of those for now.

And medicas are both affordable and useful. You'll definitely want to keep some of these around, especially early on.

This is also where you can revive fallen party members. At a cost, of course. We'll try to avoid needing this service.

At least the examination is free.

Please, make yourself at home.

Is nice inn, good space for practicing songs.

I wonder if they'll let me store my research samples in our room?

Sleep the night through, or nap until evening. Either way, we can accomodate you.

As he says, this is where we can recover from everything short of petrification and death, and we can also use it to manipulate the time of day somewhat. Unfortunately, you can't rest until evening if it's already evening, so it can still be a bit of a pain to manage.

There, maybe now we'll survive for more then 10 minutes. I'll show you guys where Radha Hall is.

I assume, newcomers, that you are en route to investigate the forest.

However, we don't recognize just anyone who manages to throw together a guild.

I suppose that's fair, if it's as dangerous as everybody says.

So, what else do you do here?

When adventurers discover new beasts and objects, we are equipped to note their findings.

It would be a great help, explorers of New Dawn, if you would contribute as well.

Convenient! We'll be sure to let you know what we find, in as much detail as possible!

That's all well and good, but we should probably ask about the initiation mission now.

Those who cannot accomplish this elementary task are better off staying out of the forest.

Here is a small map to start you off; fill in the rest of the details as best you can.

Now that we have a map it will show on the bottom screen at all times.

We have one last thing to do before we head into the Labyrinth, and that's checking out the menu!

Simple enough.

Unfortunately, we have a limited 60 inventory spaces, and everything we aren't currently wearing takes up a space, even key items like our map.

This is mostly useful for out of battle healing.

But we don't have any skills yet! We'll fix that shortly.

This is where I got the status screens I showed at the beginning of the update.

And this is where we go to put on all the gear we buy.

We bought a shield and a whip for this exact reason, in fact.

This is where the meat of the character building happens! As it says, we gain one skill point everytime we gain a level, and we're given three points to start with.

Every character has a list of skills, all of which max out at 10 skill points. There's nowhere near enough skill points to max everything out, so we'll have to use them carefully.

Sigmund starts out by getting a point in his shield mastery skill.

Which makes two more skills available to choose from. Many skills have prerequisites that must be learned before they become available. The shield skill also provides a 5% defense bonus at level 1.

Unfortunately, the only way to see these prerequesites is to select a skill you can't currently learn. This was made easier in future games, but for now we just have to manage.

I will protect you!

We finish up with Sigmund by putting one point each into Front Guard and Back Guard. At level 1 these skills reduce physical damage to the specified row by 20% during the turn they're used. Front Guard tends to be more useful, but both are prerequisites for a better skill.

So that's how you get these things to crack!

Rosalind starts out with 2 points in her whip mastery skill, unlocking viper and gag. It also increases the damage she'll deal with her whip by 11%.

And I put her last point into Gag. Viper isn't useless, but head binds are useful more often then her poison, and Gag takes 3 TP instead of 4 for the same damage, 130% at level 1.

My song will bring out strength you didn't know you had!

Lutz gets two points in songs and one point into bravery. The song skill actually only serves to open up new skills, it does nothing on its own. Bravery increases the party's physical attack by 10% at level 1.

Show me how you burn!

Vincent gets a point in both his fire and ice masteries, and one point in the fire skill. It's generally wise to specialize alchemists, since they're pretty skill point hungry, but having access to each element can be helpful, so I plan to learn the basic skill for each type. The masteries increase damage with that element by 10% at level 1, and fire does fire damage with a power of 80 to a single target. The formula is a bit odd, but alchemists do a lot of damage early on.

Let me treat your wounds!

Samantha gets 2 points in the healer skill, which increases the amount she can heal by 28% at level 2. She also gets one point in cure, the basic healing skill. At level 1 it heals a base 15 HP, but with modifiers that's plenty for now.

The game explains this pretty well, you can reorder your party here, which usually only matters if you just barely scraped by a fight.

And we've got one last self-explanatory menu, we can see our missions and side quests here.

Next time we'll put all of this to use and actually explore something! But this update is long enough as it is, so that'll have to wait. See ya around!

m4444 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 27, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Man, looking at the original artwork is kind of jarring given how much it's been touched up in the 3DS games.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
Oh hey, good luck! I tried to do this game a long time ago, but lost steam thanks to real life stuff, and by the time it had finally gotten better, it was at the point it'd feel weird to post in it again. :v:

It's been ages since I'd even looked at the first Etrian Odyssey game, Sigmund's proportions still crack me up. Not sure if it's the metal skirt, or dodgy art, but his legs look super stumpy to me.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

100percentjesusfree posted:

Oh hey, good luck! I tried to do this game a long time ago, but lost steam thanks to real life stuff, and by the time it had finally gotten better, it was at the point it'd feel weird to post in it again. :v:

It's been ages since I'd even looked at the first Etrian Odyssey game, Sigmund's proportions still crack me up. Not sure if it's the metal skirt, or dodgy art, but his legs look super stumpy to me.
Holy poo poo, 100%JF! Good to see you again! :buddy:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Aw, I missed your LP. It was a fun read.

The character portraits were meant to look super deformed, except the character artist was really bad at that at this time. He got better about it in the later games, but some of the portraits look like weird disproportionate blobs. He's capable of doing regular proportions just fine.

Minor little nitpick, Alchemist spells aren't actually multipliers. They're more akin to attacking with a high power weapon, which is why they're so strong early.

m4444
Oct 27, 2012

Whoo boy, nothing like the person you're trying to fill in for showing up to add to the pressure. Glad to hear your real life stuff got better though! As for the alchemist formulas, they're a bit weird for sure. I'll have to look that over a bit more.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

m4444 posted:

Whoo boy, nothing like the person you're trying to fill in for showing up to add to the pressure. Glad to hear your real life stuff got better though! As for the alchemist formulas, they're a bit weird for sure. I'll have to look that over a bit more.

Hey, relax. You're doing fine so far.

The damage formula for spells are [((2*TEC) + (Element Mastery * Spell Attack)) * Skill Power * Buffs% * Resistances% ] = Attack. Defense is calculated by [25% * (VIT+DEF) * Defense Buffs%] = Defense. Defense is then subtracted from Attack to get the damage.

Spells actually have 2 stats that are taken into consideration when used in the damage formula (Yeah, EO1 is weird mechanically.) Spell Attack and Skill Power. You mentioned Fire has a Skill Power of 80 at level 1, but it also has a Spell Attack of... 10. Which is then multiplied by the Element Mastery, which is 110% in this case. Giving us 11. 13 if Fire Mastery was at level 10. Which is not a multiplier, meaning that the increase in damage is barely noticeable. :geno: Don't invest in element masteries more than you need to, they're a complete waste of skill points.

m4444
Oct 27, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Hey, relax. You're doing fine so far.

The damage formula for spells are [((2*TEC) + (Element Mastery * Spell Attack)) * Skill Power * Buffs% * Resistances% ] = Attack. Defense is calculated by [25% * (VIT+DEF) * Defense Buffs%] = Defense. Defense is then subtracted from Attack to get the damage.

Spells actually have 2 stats that are taken into consideration when used in the damage formula (Yeah, EO1 is weird mechanically.) Spell Attack and Skill Power. You mentioned Fire has a Skill Power of 80 at level 1, but it also has a Spell Attack of... 10. Which is then multiplied by the Element Mastery, which is 110% in this case. Giving us 11. 13 if Fire Mastery was at level 10. Which is not a multiplier, meaning that the increase in damage is barely noticeable. :geno: Don't invest in element masteries more than you need to, they're a complete waste of skill points.

Thanks for that, I was aware that the mastery skills sucked, though I wasn't aware it was quite that bad. Do you have the formula for healing skills too? That's the one I just can't find anywhere, and I don't think it's as simple as (base heal * bonus)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

m4444 posted:

Thanks for that, I was aware that the mastery skills sucked, though I wasn't aware it was quite that bad. Do you have the formula for healing skills too? That's the one I just can't find anywhere, and I don't think it's as simple as (base heal * bonus)

That's actually it. TEC only affects how strong elemental attacks are in the game. It doesn't affect anything else. The healing bonus that Healer provides is really big compared to how much healing passives provide in later games.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Dr. Fetus posted:

That's actually it. TEC only affects how strong elemental attacks are in the game. It doesn't affect anything else. The healing bonus that Healer provides is really big compared to how much healing passives provide in later games.

What about weapon/shield mastery skills? Do the suck like the elemental mastery skills, or are good like healer?

m4444
Oct 27, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

It certainly doesn't feel that simple, but I'm not going to complain about easy formulas. Thanks for the info!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Junpei posted:

What about weapon/shield mastery skills? Do the suck like the elemental mastery skills, or are good like healer?

They're good, but they shouldn't be maxed out first.

m4444 posted:

It certainly doesn't feel that simple, but I'm not going to complain about easy formulas. Thanks for the info!

Well Healer provides a 210% boost at level 10, so it's pretty strong when combined with the later healing skills.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 28, 2015

m4444
Oct 27, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

They're good, but they shouldn't be maxed out first.

Well Healer provides a 210% boost at level 10, so it's pretty strong when combined with the later healing skills.

Yeah no kidding, healers are extremely effective in this game.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You need at least one healer in every RPG. It's just the matter of how effective they are. If they are bad, or the game is easy, then you don't use them. Medics are not bad, and EO is not easy. Do the math.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m4444
Oct 27, 2012
So, did everyone have a good Halloween weekend? I'll be working on the next update this week, so you'll have something to look forward to.

• Locked thread