Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Peter Florrick's presidential announcement storyline was funnier than this week's SNL.

Mu Zeta posted:

The black characters on the show have always been one-note characters in the past. Lemond Bishop is pretty much an evil psycho. Julian was the most asexual and non-threatening black partner in the firm. Wendy Scott Card was annoyingly persistent and vindictive. Pretty much none of them are likable except Lemond Bishop dresses amazingly in every scene.

And Matan Brody is a huge smug piece of poo poo.

Actually when I think about it most characters on the show are lovely people.
Yeah, everyone other than St. Alicia and her daughter are not such great people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

ufarn posted:

My problem with racism on the show is that whenever it's on it, it's as A Thing. The first season of the show was fantastic, and one of my favourite of any show ever, particularly because the show had casual sexism inundating the viewer and Alicia, even from the people closest to Alicia. The show later dropped the ball on that around season two, but for something as absent from the show as race, this episode with the theme of The Black Applicant also turned into The Non-White Episode. I like when the show has episodes involving racial matters, but the non-white characters on the show shouldn't feel relegated to The Non-White Character.

Casual racism on a show, especially from the characters whom the shown have lead us to like is fantastic and hugely important, but it's cheap when the writers occasionally just push a button to turn it on - the default being off.

Yeah you're completely right when I think about it.

Binary Logic posted:

Peter Florrick's presidential announcement storyline was funnier than this week's SNL.

Yeah, everyone other than St. Alicia and her daughter are not such great people.

I'm not sure Alicia is that good of a person.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Binary Logic posted:

On that note, did Alicia just instantly stop her descent into evildom, when her campaign cratered? The writers seemed to want her to be more fallible and stuff during that narrative, but guess they ditched that as well. Which is honestly fine by me, but it's just funny to see them hit the reset button like that.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
The Ferguson episode was definitely the most cringeworthy thing the show has done, and that's even including every depiction of social media/the Internet

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Boatswain posted:

I'm not sure Alicia is that good of a person.

She isn't outright evil or malicious but the St Alicia moniker has been more ironic than anything else for a while now. While she still has a soft spot for clients who are unfairly in bad situations, at this point she is probably closer to Lee/Canning than Cary/Diane on the good person scale. Too much influence from the political side of her life.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I don't even know what "good person" means but I'd say she is closer to Diane/Carry than any other. I hope we get more Canning this season though, Fox is always amazing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Does the deposition they were doing tonight even have a basis in reality? The employee took the self driving car out for a joy ride. How is the company at fault if someone committed a crime with their property?

Haha Jackie and Howard.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Tortolia posted:

She isn't outright evil or malicious but the St Alicia moniker has been more ironic than anything else for a while now. While she still has a soft spot for clients who are unfairly in bad situations, at this point she is probably closer to Lee/Canning than Cary/Diane on the good person scale. Too much influence from the political side of her life.
Saint Alicia sure is drinking a lot these days, can even knock back tequila with no visible reaction.

Boatswain posted:

I don't even know what "good person" means but I'd say she is closer to Diane/Carry than any other. I hope we get more Canning this season though, Fox is always amazing.
The 3-way hearing was an interesting way to get Canning, Lockhart/Agos and Lucca/Florrick all in one trial-type scene.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Binary Logic posted:

Saint Alicia sure is drinking a lot these days, can even knock back tequila with no visible reaction.

They've definitely been emphasizing every glass of wine this season, enough that it seems like it will be a plot point eventually.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

hepscat posted:

They've definitely been emphasizing every glass of wine this season, enough that it seems like it will be a plot point eventually.

A"Lush"ia

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
How much of her eyebrows are just painted on these days, do you think? Are they tattoos?

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
is that the first time Alicia has shown that much skin in the show?

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Geno posted:

is that the first time Alicia has shown that much skin in the show?

I think she looks better now at 49 than she did back on ER.

I have to hand it to this show, the way Grace used the internet to solve her problem is the same way I used the internet back in 1997 to find sound files of kittens meowling to freak out my cat and it worked like a charm.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FetusSlapper posted:

I have to hand it to this show, the way Grace used the internet to solve her problem is the same way I used the internet back in 1997 to find sound files of kittens meowling to freak out my cat and it worked like a charm.

The look on Alicia's face when Grace was asking for her money was gold. No more free child? labor for you Alicia.

Diane you are choosing a real lovely hill to die on. Disappointed she managed to get out relatively unscathed.

I guess Eli gets a romance subplot to keep him busy for a while because he can't destroy Peter too quickly. Gotta drag out this plot all season.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 23, 2015

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

FetusSlapper posted:

It's her $10,000 wig. Her normal hair sucks.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Mu Zeta posted:

It's her $10,000 wig. Her normal hair sucks.

I was looking at her abs, is that really a wig?

I think I might be a scumbag.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
During the time when Alicia and Quinn were pitching their firm to the three leads they stole from Michael J Fox's company I don't get why they made Alicia such a retard. Are they trying to show that she doesn't give a poo poo about anything anymore? Or did they think it was just a funny gag?

Why the gently caress wouldn't they discuss their pitch before meeting with these companies?

What lovely writing. This was just a really annoying scene.

edit: Eli's such a stupid goofball, I love him. :allears:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 24, 2015

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Drifter posted:

During the time when Alicia and Quinn were pitching their firm to the three leads they stole from Michael J Fox's company I don't get why they made Alicia such a retard. Are they trying to show that she doesn't give a poo poo about anything anymore? Or did they think it was just a funny gag?

Why the gently caress wouldn't they discuss their pitch before meeting with these companies?

edit: Eli's such a stupid goofball, I love him. :allears:

When they are in court, they're brilliant. When trying to talk to potential clients...not so much. I guess the point was to show that with the 2/3 split they were each trying to be the one to land the account and get the most money.
But the weak comedy of the scenes did result in them both uncharacteristically looking like idiots.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!

Drifter posted:

Meh, they've been putting the cart before the horse. The last firm Alicia tried to start was a bit of a clusterfuck as well.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MrBuddyLee posted:

Meh, they've been putting the cart before the horse. The last firm Alicia tried to start was a bit of a clusterfuck as well.
Florick Agos? They were doing pretty drat well.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
I miss the original chumhum guy. But I love a good chumhum case even without him. User rated neighborhoods is believable, and people would be gross dicks about it for sure.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
I never thought I'd hear that dog. on The Good Wife - but then again I never thought I'd see Sallie Ford as the backing band at a campaign rally there, either.

Was it just last week that Grace brought in all those new clients? Doesn't it seem that they'd be focused on finding staff and office space at this point?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

hepscat posted:

I miss the original chumhum guy. But I love a good chumhum case even without him. User rated neighborhoods is believable, and people would be gross dicks about it for sure.

He's the lead in Manhatten, a pretty good show about the Manhatten project. I'm guessing there were some scheduling conflicts.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I didn't know Chicago had all those techbros

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

I didn't know Chicago had all those NOT RACIST techbros

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I think Chicago is pretty popular for some companies as an additional base of operations, but not for HQs. I guess they just had to put Chumhum in Chicago, because The Good Wife, but it could just be one division of many.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Some things should just stay secret Eli

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Poor Eli.

Not sure how I feel about the law firm and the associates though. His sick burn on the associates was amazing, but they were getting poo poo on at work. I guess their culture / seniority system won't be changing at Lee, Agos and Lockharte :v:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Poor Eli.

Not sure how I feel about the law firm and the associates though. His sick burn on the associates was amazing, but they were getting poo poo on at work. I guess their culture / seniority system won't be changing at Lee, Agos and Lockharte :v:

Given Cary's ebony fetish, there are certain opportunities for their newest associate to further her career.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Regy Rusty posted:

Some things should just stay secret Eli
Yes. Alicia already didn't like him, and that admission is going to make her never trust anything he says or does.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Poor Eli.

It was very convenient that they all operate as a single unit. And were so easily conned into believing Cary's obvious overplay. "More money? Sure. Quicker timeline to partner? Of course!" etc. and not one of them thought to call or text Canning's office for a counter offer.

And David Lee made another crack about Howard's age. Will the partners need to go through sensitivity training again already?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Eli, :getout:.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
rough day for eli

break up with vanessa williams and alicia in 1 day :geert:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GaussianCopula posted:

Given Cary's ebony fetish, there are certain opportunities for their newest associate to further her career.

But what about Lucca :ohdear:

Binary Logic posted:

And David Lee made another crack about Howard's age. Will the partners need to go through sensitivity training again already?

They are a bad firm. I hope Canning smashes them into paste.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
J Fox is amazing and should feature in more episodes. His and Alicia's relationship is the best in the show.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"You committed fraud."

"No, I committed selective depositing."

David Lee owns.

Oh boy I can't wait for Alicia to run for president or whatever :suicide:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The Iowa bus tour was fun but I hope this puts an end to the Florrick campaign and Alicia can get back to doing her own things.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Oh boy I can't wait for Alicia to run for president or whatever :suicide:

Oh god can't they give it up already. Please stop surprising Alicia with elected positions she MUST run for!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

She would lose so hard. Alicia is an ultra snob. Hillary can at least pretend to relate to the farmers and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Wasn't Eli making the point that Alicia is the best part of Peter from an electoral standpoint?

Also, Alicia is ballin?

• Locked thread