Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
was that the first time the son has appeared this season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Geno posted:

Yea I think so. I guess Alicia forgave him for getting his girlfriend pregnant or whatever he did. Didn't she cut him off too?

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Geno posted:

That was really weird. He's been gone and cut off for... was it more than one season? Then, suddenly, he's happily in the campaign van like nothing ever happened.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Peter is running for office of course they will drag the son there.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

violetdragon posted:

That was really weird. He's been gone and cut off for... was it more than one season? Then, suddenly, he's happily in the campaign van like nothing ever happened.

Well, I guess we can assume that his situation got taken care off once Peter was serious about running for president, they just didn't show it on camera.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

violetdragon posted:

"Happily" is a stretch; he did a lot of complaining while on the campaign bus rolling through endless miles of corn fields.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I would assume the family of a state governor and presidential candidate could additionally work out arrangements with their son's school, particularly since it was also their alma mater.

Grace's status this season is the weird one.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Mu Zeta posted:

Peter is running for office of course they will drag the son there.

That makes sense, but there didn't appear to be any tension after borderline disowning him for a year or whatever. It's a strange thing to "resolve" off screen.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

violetdragon posted:

That makes sense, but there didn't appear to be any tension after borderline disowning him for a year or whatever. It's a strange thing to "resolve" off screen.

This.

Maybe the tension / drama between Alicia and her son was mediated offscreen by the new firm that Tae Diggs and Robin work at :suicide:

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

It's been a while, but I think they did resolve it.

Over the phone or something like that?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Eagerly awaiting Alicia going back to Lockheart Agos and hitting the reset button :suicide:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
oh great another singing scene *fast forward through it*

Also, Alicia, and by extension her daughter, are major bitches because her business is legitimately disrupting that other lady at her home and they're doing nothing to fix it. gently caress them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Thicky Trick is a good song

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It was great to finally have Lucca do something of her own that wasn’t seeped in a racism PSA. She’s such an asset to the show, and they do so little with her.

EDIT: I just realized the actress is British. Goddamn chameleons.

radlum
May 13, 2013
So the Kings are quitting and now I just read that Margulies is hintint about leaving too. How could a great show go to hell so quickly?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

radlum posted:

So the Kings are quitting and now I just read that Margulies is hintint about leaving too. How could a great show go to hell so quickly?

It had a good run. But last season was a stinker and while this season is better, it's still not as good as it was.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

radlum posted:

It died with Will Gardner.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

GaussianCopula posted:

It died with Will Gardner.

and the kalinda/alicia feud

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Kalinda bullshit is clearly the fault of Juliana Margulies. Pretty unprofessional and oval office-ish behavior on the star/producer.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I still don't really know what happened with all that, but did this show air this week? Was there another episode after Grace owned the Home Owner's Association?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Drifter posted:

I still don't really know what happened with all that, but did this show air this week? Was there another episode after Grace owned the Home Owner's Association?

no ep last week. there is one this week though

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Oh poo poo, Grace and the HOA was the episode BEFORE Peter losing the campaign, right? Or was last week's episode the one where Alicia's partner sleeps with the musician and wants to join Lockhart/Gardner?

Jesus Christ, this show just gets very forgettable. I still watch it, though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Drifter posted:

Oh poo poo, Grace and the HOA was the episode BEFORE Peter losing the campaign, right? Or was last week's episode the one where Alicia's partner sleeps with the musician and wants to join Lockhart/Gardner?

Jesus Christ, this show just gets very forgettable. I still watch it, though.

Peter losing the primary was before that. The last episode was the musician / housing association one.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
The momentum of the show has really been shot by all the reset buttons. Nobody has moved up in a long time besides Will to...oh wait he's a lawyer, never mind.

Grace should be quitting school and working fulltime now, she can go back to school later. She is obviously very good at what she was doing. But no, let's just send her back to square one.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I wouldn't mind the show just pivoting to Lucca I guess. It'd have to be without Lockhart Agos & Lee, though.

Especially if Mr Supernatural stays on.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
The way the show just randomly decides to air one week, skip the next, introduce fairly big noticeable actors like Taye Diggs only to ghost them after a couple of episodes, unashamedly have lawyers leave the Big Firm only to Rejoin the Big Firm as a recurring plotline - it makes the show seem like someone's vanity piece.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I really hope Alicia ends up broke and penniless in the finale. But the show is really pushing the reset button hard on her going back to Lockheart Agos.

Judge Shooter McGavin is scummy as gently caress and I love it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
God drat, I loved this. I think her going back to the Firm is just seriously fuckin' weird, but whatevs. :shrug:

She's cracking. That little self-aware laugh at the end was great.

You're right, Judge Shooter's a scummy fucker. Those scenes in court were good stuff.

I still don't get what the dad from Supernatural is going for with that character, but aside from that it's good stuff.

I like Luca. She's dope.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
It is really creepy how down this thread is on Alicia.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Boatswain posted:

It is really creepy how down this thread is on Alicia.

Its probably the way she treats her kids as if they were interns. Her lawyer instincts keep kicking in at the wrong moments, and LOL at her being any kind of candidate again after the voter fraud knife in back fiasco from last year. Maybe the theme of this show is a broken person slowly discovering that they're a broken person.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The show's gone from "geez, people are dicks to Alicia" to "Alicla spends half the episode feeling sorry for herself". I just don't care one iota about watching Alicla stare into the bottom of a wine glass episode after episode.

It's also a problem that Lucca has eclipsed Alicla completely as an interesting, likeable character, and Alicia is starting to feel like the weak link of the show, so it's probably a good thing that they might end it this season.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Did the scene with Lucca and the investigator in the bar imply they've known each other before?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mu Zeta posted:

Did the scene with Lucca and the investigator in the bar imply they've known each other before?

They've been working together for a year or whatever at their practice. They're probably decent associates, if not okay work friends.

ufarn posted:

The show's gone from "geez, people are dicks to Alicia" to "Alicla spends half the episode feeling sorry for herself". I just don't care one iota about watching Alicla stare into the bottom of a wine glass episode after episode.

It's also a problem that Lucca has eclipsed Alicla completely as an interesting, likeable character, and Alicia is starting to feel like the weak link of the show, so it's probably a good thing that they might end it this season.

The thing with Alicia is I see where they're going with her, but the writing AROUND her hasn't been up to snuff. Like, she's at the end of her rope, being pushed and pulled and controlled by (especially) her husband's poo poo, and her lawyer poo poo, and her non-functioning personal life poo poo and she feels like she doesn't really have agency anymore. She's also super depressed.

They've just not done an interesting job on occasion of writing good stuff to play off or through that. It's all just been weird squabblings or repetitive blandness between non interests that seem to go nowhere. :shrug: I can't see her enjoying going back to the firm that forced her out, especially in a lesser role. She's slowly going broke, though. Maybe she and Luca team up with a dying Michael J Fox and inherit his company. That might be a little shaky, though.

I do like me some Luca.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 1, 2016

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I still don't really know who Lucca is or what she's about. All I learned is she dislikes her brother.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Drifter posted:

The thing with Alicia is I see where they're going with her, but the writing AROUND her hasn't been up to snuff. Like, she's at the end of her rope, being pushed and pulled and controlled by (especially) her husband's poo poo, and her lawyer poo poo, and her non-functioning personal life poo poo and she feels like she doesn't really have agency anymore. She's also super depressed.

They've just not done an interesting job on occasion of writing good stuff to play off or through that. It's all just been weird squabblings or repetitive blandness between non interests that seem to go nowhere. :shrug: I can't see her enjoying going back to the firm that forced her out, especially in a lesser role. She's slowly going broke, though. Maybe she and Luca team up with a dying Michael J Fox and inherit his company. That might be a little shaky, though.

I do like me some Luca.
I totally agree that Alicia could be written well; it's just the poor way in which the show lingers and wallows in her ennui or whatever in scenes that are shot and edited in a super drawn-out way.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
I was really touched by Alicia's breakdown in front of Lucca. It felt real and heartfelt, and in line with her character of trying to keep everything calm and collected and only rarely letting those walls down. She even admitted she isn't sure she likes her adult children. It seems like she's ready to break bad.

Suing the judge really seemed like a bad idea from the start, especially in the context of Chicago - a city that is practically synonymous with corruption. They're all in the system enough to know that it was a huge longshot for a judge to find against another judge.

Edit: I keep going back to that admission that she's not sure she even likes her kids. This is a woman who left her career to raise her children. To even say that out loud is just huge, like saying all those years were for nothing.

hepscat fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 1, 2016

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I thought the part with Eli at the end was to give Alicia an Aha! moment regarding the corruption probe into the judge, but guess that was one path she didn't think to explore further.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Well, nine more episodes to go. Let's see how well they manage the ending.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Wait, it was on tonight?

Anyway, saw a blind gossip item today that was hashtagged The Good Wife:

quote:

Apparently this A- list mostly television actress is so disliked by everyone on her hit network show they are willing to end the series just to have to stop dealing with her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

hepscat posted:

Wait, it was on tonight?

Anyway, saw a blind gossip item today that was hashtagged The Good Wife:

No, but CBS aired the announcement that this will be the final season with 9 more episodes during the Super Bowl.

• Locked thread